inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: End of classic gaming era?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/21/06 at 7:12 pm

In my opinion, the old school/arcade video game era spans from about 1977 to 1994.  1995+ is new school.

Subject: Re: End of classic gaming era?

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/21/06 at 7:18 pm

I hope it ain't over, but I think you could be right. It does make me a little sad/nostalgic whenever I see an Aladdin's Castle at the mall get shut down.

It probably spans something like:

"Old School" arcades - 1978-86
Nintendo-styled home consoles - 1987-98
Internet gaming/virtual reality/XBox-styled stuff - 1999+

Note, of course these all are/were popular outside these respective time spans. This is just the peak, IMO. Also, I think "old school" gaming will always exist to an extent, just because it was in the hearts of so many, and around too long not to.

I took a local vacation in the Summer, and there's still a very successful miniature golf course/bumper car track/80's styled arcade place in the North Bay Area I went to. That gave me some hope. :)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/21/06 at 7:37 pm

I hope it ain't over, but I think you could be right. It does make me a little sad/nostalgic whenever I see an Aladdin's Castle at the mall get shut down.

It probably spans something like:

"Old School" arcades - 1978-86
Nintendo-styled home consoles - 1987-98
Internet gaming/virtual reality/XBox-styled stuff - 1999+

Note, of course these all are/were popular outside these respective time spans. This is just the peak, IMO. Also, I think "old school" gaming will always exist to an extent, just because it was in the hearts of so many, and around too long not to.

I took a local vacation in the Summer, and there's still a very successful miniature golf course/bumper car track/80's styled arcade place in the North Bay Area I went to. That gave me some hope. :)

That's true.  There are plenty of old-school gamers, and with our very early 21st Century technology you can play Pac-Man in your car, almost like Back to the Future :)

BTW you're from the Bay Area?  Have you been to Concord?  I was born in San Francisco and lived in the Bay Area until 1998.

Written By: whistledog on 01/21/06 at 7:37 pm

The end of the classic gaming era ended with the introduction of Arcade games that cost $1 to play  ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/21/06 at 7:45 pm

That's true.  There are plenty of old-school gamers, and with our very early 21st Century technology you can play Pac-Man in your car, almost like Back to the Future :)

BTW you're from the Bay Area?  Have you been to Concord?  I was born in San Francisco and lived in the Bay Area until 1998.

Cool. I'm pretty familar with the whole Bay Area, there's three "basic" areas I've lived in:

1. North Bay (Sonoma/Marin Counties): childhood
2. Sacramento and suburbs: older childhood/early adolescence
3. San Jose: latter adolescence-present

Back in '95 I briefly lived in Vallejo, which is pretty close to Concord too. And, over the past summer, the place I went (with a couple friends) I referred to, is called Scandia. I think there's only two of them. The other, interestingly enough, is in Rohnert Park, the town I lived in from 1986-90, and to this day, my favorite childhood house.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/21/06 at 9:01 pm

Cool. I'm pretty familar with the whole Bay Area, there's three "basic" areas I've lived in:

1. North Bay (Sonoma/Marin Counties): childhood
2. Sacramento and suburbs: older childhood/early adolescence
3. San Jose: latter adolescence-present

Back in '95 I briefly lived in Vallejo, which is pretty close to Concord too. And, over the past summer, the place I went (with a couple friends) I referred to, is called Scandia. I think there's only two of them. The other, interestingly enough, is in Rohnert Park, the town I lived in from 1986-90, and to this day, my favorite childhood house.

I've lived in:

San Francisco: 1990, probably some of '91 (also born there in January '90 and visited many times after, last time in 1999)
Sunnyvale/Mountain View, near San Jose: About 1991-early '95 (returned in 1999, and for sure times before)
Concord: About Spring of 1995 - March 1998 (went back in 1999 and 2002)

You know, it's vaguely possible that you've seen me in person before!  ;D  Of course, then I'd be a little kid, at most 8.

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/21/06 at 9:53 pm

Classic gaming is loooooong dead. It died with the Playstation One(1995). And i think THAT era(dont know what to call it) came to an in end in 2001/2002 with the huge success of Grand Theft Auto III. That game really changed things, imo. I dont think this next wave of consoles are going to be like a new era. Microsoft said the Xbox 360 is like an upgrade more than a whole new system. I believe their next system is actually scheduled to be called X Box 2. I think it'll be out in like 2010..?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/21/06 at 11:51 pm

Classic gaming is loooooong dead. It died with the Playstation One(1995). And i think THAT era(dont know what to call it) came to an in end in 2001/2002 with the huge success of Grand Theft Auto III. That game really changed things, imo. I dont think this next wave of consoles are going to be like a new era. Microsoft said the Xbox 360 is like an upgrade more than a whole new system. I believe their next system is actually scheduled to be called X Box 2. I think it'll be out in like 2010..?

Yeah, nobody seemed to care about PS3 either.

I'd say the gaming eras are:

Old School: 1977-1994

1977-1980: First Age
1981-1985: Atari Age
1986-1990: the Mario Days
1991-1994: Sonic Age

Nu School: 1995-2006+

1995-2000: 2.5 D "Playstation" Era
2001-2005: 3D "PS2" Era

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/22/06 at 10:58 am

2005 -                Would be the "X Box 360 Era" then.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/22/06 at 1:34 pm

2005 -                Would be the "X Box 360 Era" then.

Actually, I'd call the current Gaming era more like PS2/Halo Age Part II, rather than a fully different age.

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 01/22/06 at 1:55 pm

In my opinion, the old school/arcade video game era spans from about 1977 to 1994.  1995+ is new school.
That seems about right, and that was about the time when home video game consoles became more advanced than the coin-op games.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/22/06 at 1:57 pm

That seems about right, and that was about the time when home video game consoles became more advanced than the coin-op games.

Although I think in 1995 and 1996 there was some holdover, as Playstation and Nintendo were brand new then.  I've played video games since about 1993 or 1994.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/22/06 at 7:23 pm

Actually, I'd call the current Gaming era more like PS2/Halo Age Part II, rather than a fully different age.

Sounds about right....

Check for new replies or respond here...