inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Canadian Band - Tragically Hip

Written By: Nesman on 01/22/06 at 3:40 pm

Growing up in Canada the best band in the early 90's was the Tragically Hip.

Obviously most Canadians won't argue with me on this one but for you non-Canadians,  have you heard of them?

If so, what is your favourite Tragically Hip tune from the early 90's?  Mine is Eldorado from the Fully Completely album.

And for the Canadians, what is your best memory of listening to the Hip?

Subject: Re: Canadian Band - Tragically Hip

Written By: gord on 01/22/06 at 5:22 pm

great band, so many great songs it's hard to pick a favorite
-at the hundrenth meridian
-locked in the trunk of a car
-little bones
-blow at high dough
-courage
-wheat kings

they were at their best in the early 90s :)

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 01/22/06 at 5:28 pm

I've heard enough of them to consider them a pretty decent band. Too bad they don't have much international success.  :-\\

Written By: whistledog on 01/22/06 at 5:33 pm

To be honest, I'm not much of a Tragically Hip fan.  Since they are from my hometown, I am glad to see they have done well across Canada though.  I did sort of like that one song "The Darkest One" that featured the Trailer Park Boys in the video

Written By: FaultyDog on 01/22/06 at 6:04 pm

The only song I know by the Tragically Hip is Long Time Running (got it somewhere on a compilation CD), so that's also my favourite one. I have no idea if this song is in any way representative of their repertoire, though. :-\\
The Tragically Hip never even made it to the bubbling under section in my little country.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/22/06 at 7:21 pm

They have a greastest hits cd out right now, that sounds pretty cool.

Written By: Nesman on 01/23/06 at 1:18 pm

Long Time Running is a great tune. It ranks up there with Wheat Kings with their more mellow tunes though.  You have to listen to most of Fully Completely to get the true sense of the band. 

They were almost overplayed in Canada and totally underplayed in other parts of the world.  When they first came out in the late 80's they were actually booed off the stage in many places.  The early 90's saw them at the top of the charts and were a great band to see live.  By mid 90's they became more mellow in their concerts.  If you can get any live versions of Highway Girl or New Orleans in Sinking you get the true vibe of Gord in his drug induced state at a concert.

New Orleans is Sinking rings true considering the events last August.  The Hip sang of this over 16 years ago when they firsted started out and visited New Orleans ... kinda weird actually. 

Written By: whistledog on 01/23/06 at 1:34 pm

I sort of also like that song 'Twist My Arm'.  It appears on this old tape I have called 'This is Music 92' :)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/24/06 at 11:40 pm

I just completed the Canada Raps video.  It'll be at youtube.com shortly.

My thread hijack is oh-ver, eh.  ;D

Written By: kellygoo72 on 01/24/06 at 11:42 pm

great band, so many great songs it's hard to pick a favorite
-at the hundrenth meridian
-locked in the trunk of a car
-little bones
-blow at high dough
-courage
-wheat kings

they were at their best in the early 90s :)
 tHE hIP ARE COOL BEANS.... I GREW UP LISTENING TO THEM AND I LIVE IN THE STATES.. I WAS JUST LISTENING TO THEM TONITE ON HITS FM.. I LIKED AT THE 100TH MERIDIAN AND I SAW THEM ON THE JUNOS THIS PAST YR AND THEY WERE COOL...  WERENT THEY ON LIVE 8 TOO THIS PAST YR?

Written By: whistledog on 01/24/06 at 11:47 pm

tHE hIP ARE COOL BEANS.... I GREW UP LISTENING TO THEM AND I LIVE IN THE STATES.. I WAS JUST LISTENING TO THEM TONITE ON HITS FM.. I LIKED AT THE 100TH MERIDIAN AND I SAW THEM ON THE JUNOS THIS PAST YR AND THEY WERE COOL...  WERENT THEY ON LIVE 8 TOO THIS PAST YR?

Yes.  They played in Barrie Ontario at the Canadian Leg of Live 8 :)

Written By: gmann on 01/25/06 at 2:27 pm

I never got a chance to see The Hip live, but did catch them performing on "Saturday Night Live" a long time ago. Must have been in '94 or thereabouts...

Check for new replies or respond here...