inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: VH1: The old days.

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/25/06 at 5:05 pm

So I had the coolest thing happen the other day.

In copying a couple of my old VHS tapes to DVD (sentimental value), at the end of Uncle Buck, I discovered about 80 minutes of long lost VH1 footage I totally forgot even existed. There's maybe 7 or 8 videos, along with commercials from the time, and also part of a comedy show called Standup Spotlight that Rosie O'Donnell hosted. Good stuff.

Anyway, this made me think about the evolution of them in general. From what I understand it started in 1985 as a completely "soft rock" video/music channel for an adult audience. By the time I started watching in the early 90's, it still kinda had that stigma, but was starting to be "cooler".

They had big "80's video rewinds" from a given year, or blocks from an artist. Biographies, interviews, etc. As for non music programming, they did alot of standup comedy (like mentioned above) or looks at current movies, etc.

Did anyone else watch it in the 1990-93 era? Any memories to share I might be forgetting? ;)

Subject: Re: VH1: The old days.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/25/06 at 5:11 pm

So I had the coolest thing happen the other day.

In copying a couple of my old VHS tapes to DVD (sentimental value), at the end of Uncle Buck, I discovered about 80 minutes of long lost VH1 footage I totally forgot even existed. There's maybe 7 or 8 videos, along with commercials from the time, and also part of a comedy show called Standup Spotlight that Rosie O'Donnell hosted. Good stuff.

Anyway, this made me think about the evolution of them in general. From what I understand it started in 1985 as a completely "soft rock" video/music channel for an adult audience. By the time I started watching in the early 90's, it still kinda had that stigma, but was starting to be "cooler".

They had big "80's video rewinds" from a given year, or blocks from an artist. Biographies, interviews, etc. As for non music programming, they did alot of standup comedy (like mentioned above) or looks at current movies, etc.

Did anyone else watch it in the 1990-93 era? Any memories to share I might be forgetting? ;)

80s rewinds?  Was it from 1990?

Do you think that people were actually nostalgic/treated the '80s as old skool even in the early '90s or just looked back on it since it was over?

Written By: woops on 01/25/06 at 5:13 pm

Didn't have cable until 1994 and didn't discover VH1 until 1996.

Did they show videos in their entirity or had them edited like on "The Big 80's", "History of Videos A to Z".

Though I liked watching them, also "Pop Up Video".  :D

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/25/06 at 5:24 pm

80s rewinds?  Was it from 1990?

Do you think that people were actually nostalgic/treated the '80s as old skool even in the early '90s or just looked back on it since it was over?

I'd say roughly 1991 or '92. That was my absolute peak time of watching. I guess it's a bit of both though. A Rewind hour of 1985 videos in '92 were still recent enough to be "current", but far enough back to look back on it with semi nostalgia and go, "Hey I remember that one!" ;)

That'd be like if they did a 1999 rewind now.

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/25/06 at 5:26 pm

Didn't have cable until 1994 and didn't discover VH1 until 1996.

Did they show videos in their entirity or had them edited like on "The Big 80's", "History of Videos A to Z".

Though I liked watching them, also "Pop Up Video".  :D

Well, sometimes they'd have cr*ppy edits (i.e. not letting the song fade out all the way, cutting off the "extra" footage before/after the song that some videos have) but it was the actual videos.

I remember the Big 80's stuff around 1997-ish. That was better than nothing, but I realized by then, that the VH1 from five years earlier was gone.

Written By: Carl on 01/26/06 at 10:15 am

I first started watching V-H1 in '86, it was becoming an alternative to watching MTV because it was showing older videos from the 80s, and MTV's format was changing, and not for the beter in my view. But I still watched both, VH1 a lot more though. Now there isn't too big a difference between the two. Classic VH1 is a great channel for those who may have it or never seen it.

Written By: Matt the Rat76 on 01/26/06 at 12:47 pm

vh1 was cool in the mid to late 90's they had 2 games shows rock and roll jepordy and my generation game I loved pop up video and also what ever happend to... show

Written By: McDonald on 01/27/06 at 11:24 am

I was a VH1 addict in 1999-2000, back before it turned into E! part deux.

I love VH1 Classic. It's the only music channel worht watching in my opinion. "We are the 80's" is a great show.

Written By: woops on 01/27/06 at 6:12 pm

I'm probably going to get VH1 Classic soon...  8)  :D

though not sure if the digital cable package around my area has it... 

Do they air the popular videos and several rarely seen clips?

I remember reading that "Club MTV" had aired, any classic VMA performances and such?

Written By: Banks on 01/29/06 at 6:06 am

Here in Australia the VH1 channel is very much the way you describe it as being in 1992.

Im a huge fan of early 80's music as well as 70's music, and find it sad that most 70's music doesnt get played that often on ANY music channels here in Australia. Maybe this VH1 Classic channel will be what Im looking for, that is IF it ever gets to be on Australian TV.

AN

Written By: Stompgal on 02/01/06 at 4:51 am

I was nine when I started watching VH1 because I had cable TV back then. Now I have digital cable TV and I still watch VH1 every now and then. I watch it for the videos and the All Access/Fabulous Life shows.

Written By: MotleyCrueFan'05 on 02/01/06 at 9:00 am

8) I watch Vh1 Classic and collect music videos on DVD. Vh1 has became an E! clone and I only watch it when they're showing I Love the decades shows or anything having to do with metal mania

Check for new replies or respond here...