inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Sandlot

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/25/06 at 11:32 pm

This had to be one of the greatest kids movie of the 90's....I love the characters, their facial expressions, everything.

Some of my favorite scenes...

whenever Benny hits the ball and makes it land right in Smalls glove....I love the look on Smalls face...it's classic.

I love when they are all at the carnival and they all put chewing tobacco in....they are all acting cool and classic...and then next scene....they are sick as dogs...puking all over the place. I love their facial expressions when they discover that the chew is making them really ill, as they all ride a very "spinning" ride! LOL!

One of the best though has to be whenever Squints fakes that he is drowning at the pool just to sneak a kiss from Wendy the lifeguard....I LOVE LOVE LOVE the look on his face as he looks at his worried friends..just before he goes in for his move...that was SO funny!

What do you guys think of the movie...any favorite scenes?

Subject: Re: The Sandlot

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/25/06 at 11:43 pm

"You're killing me, Smalls." <--- This quote will forever remind me of my senior year of high school, when a lot of us in my group of peers just started using it. I can't even remember who originally quoted it and why it stuck... but it stuck.

I agree with you. This is just a great movie of its kind.

I remember Hamilton Porter (the chubby red-headed kid) said that to him whenever he had no idea what a "smore" was! LOL!  ;D

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/27/06 at 1:30 pm

Haven't seen that for nearly 10 years probably.  I think it was kind of Goonies-like, from what I can remember.  Is that like 1995, '96?

Written By: Sarah1183 on 01/28/06 at 5:07 pm

I think it was 1993. You're killing me, Smalls... that's classic. :) Good movie. People in my class had a crush on Mike Vitar (Rodriguez).

Written By: whistledog on 01/28/06 at 10:38 pm

I saw this movie so long ago and loved it.  I see they've now made a sequel to it :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/29/06 at 12:22 am

[quote author=whis

Written By: Harmonica on 01/29/06 at 1:28 am

I'd elaborate more, but I'm tired. The movie was enjoyable to me.  The comradery among the guys, the story telling, James Earl Jones.

Written By: nally on 01/29/06 at 1:30 am

Haven't seen that for nearly 10 years probably.  I think it was kind of Goonies-like, from what I can remember.  Is that like 1995, '96?

I believe it came out in 1993. I remember watching it on video in early '94.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/30/06 at 6:33 pm

I love James Earl Jones. I like when the kid is telling him about the signed baseball and James says "You are dead where you stand." I  also like the fact that they all were frieghtened of the dog and he turned out to be a sweetheart.

Cat

Written By: nally on 01/30/06 at 10:57 pm

Yeah...the dog's name, I believe, was Hercules.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/31/06 at 1:42 am

This had to be one of the greatest kids movie of the 90's....I love the characters, their facial expressions, everything.

whenever Benny hits the ball and makes it land right in Smalls glove....I love the look on Smalls face...it's classic.

I love when they are all at the carnival and they all put chewing tobacco in....they are all acting cool and classic...and then next scene....they are sick as dogs...puking all over the place. I love their facial expressions when they discover that the chew is making them really ill, as they all ride a very "spinning" ride! LOL!

One of the best though has to be whenever Squints fakes that he is drowning at the pool just to sneak a kiss from Wendy the lifeguard....I LOVE LOVE LOVE the look on his face as he looks at his worried friends..just before he goes in for his move...that was SO funny!

The lifeguard scene and the look on his face was hysterical.
This is such a enjoyable movie.  "You play ball like a girl"!!  the kid on the bike almost starts crying, it's awesome and quite believable, except the ball retrieval contraptions were invented rather quickly. Reminds me a bit of Stand By Me, which also had the lead narrate the story.

Written By: AU300ModR on 02/13/06 at 4:50 pm

"forever, forever, forever" i will always remember that quote when they were trying to scare the new kid, and i liked the movie then and if it comes on now i still watch it.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/13/06 at 5:03 pm

-sigh-i havent seen that movie in like 10 years great kids flick

Written By: nally on 02/14/06 at 9:33 am

I've seen parts of it on ABC Family recently. They seem to show a lot of movies over and over, including this one.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/14/06 at 11:56 am

I've seen parts of it on ABC Family recently. They seem to show a lot of movies over and over, including this one.

I see it over and over again too...due to the fact that Vaughn loves it and gets obsessed with movies, and then has to watch them everyday! LOL! ;D :D

Written By: GREEN67 on 02/14/06 at 10:10 pm

8) Great Flick..I bought it for the kids and then I watched it more than they did...I STILL cry at the end!..LOL :\'(

Written By: JDeeOfV on 02/15/06 at 2:24 pm

-i was gonna put the ball back
-but it was signed by Babe Ruth!
-yeah, you keep telling me that, who IS she!?
...blahblahblah all the nicknames
-BABE RUTH!
-The Great Bambiiiiinoooo
-oh my god, you mean that's the same guy!?!

Hilarious.

Written By: Jewel on 02/16/06 at 1:02 am

Yeah that was a cute movie.

I agree about the scenes with the tobacco, the lifeguard crush, and the "Forever, forever, forever..." being funny scenes.

I also enjoyed the scenes when they would try to capture the ball, but that dog would always win!

Written By: Matt the Rat76 on 02/16/06 at 12:13 pm

I like the twoards the end of the movie that the boy (or the narrator) and benny still friends after that sandlot game and the boy became a man and doing PBP for the dodgers and benny became a huge baseball star for the team and they still friends

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/16/06 at 6:08 pm

I like the twoards the end of the movie that the boy (or the narrator) and benny still friends after that sandlot game and the boy became a man and doing PBP for the dodgers and benny became a huge baseball star for the team and they still friends

ya, that is really cool. Did you happen to know that the guy who played Benny grown up (the baseball player) and the kid that played Benny are really brothers in real life? They looked so much alike...and I thought that they may be related..so I went to www.imdb.com and checked it out...and yep, they are totally brothers. ;)

Written By: Jewel on 02/16/06 at 10:15 pm

ya, that is really cool. Did you happen to know that the guy who played Benny grown up (the baseball player) and the kid that played Benny are really brothers in real life? They looked so much alike...and I thought that they may be related..so I went to www.imdb.com and checked it out...and yep, they are totally brothers. ;)

That's cool!

Written By: nally on 02/24/06 at 4:35 pm

Verry eenteresting..

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/24/06 at 7:41 pm

I remember Hamilton Porter (the chubby red-headed kid) said that to him whenever he had no idea what a "smore" was! LOL!  ;D

Ham Porter: Hey, Smalls, you wanna s'more?
Smalls: I haven't had anything.
Ham Porter: No, do you wanna s'more!
Smalls: I haven't had anything yet, so how can I have some more of nothing?
Ham Porter: You're killing me Smalls!

Ham Porter: This is smores stuff. First you take the graham. You stick the chocolate on the graham. Then, you roast the mallow. When the mallows flaming, you stick it on the chocolate and cover it with the other end. Then, you scarf.

Written By: Daveyd989 on 02/24/06 at 9:39 pm

yea this is a great flick i remember as a kid watching this movie all the time I  guess it didn't make alot of money during it's original theatrical release but it sort of gained a cult following with video and tv showings because more then 10 years later u still here people saying quotes from this movie.

Written By: ktelqueen on 02/24/06 at 9:41 pm

i've never seen it but a girl i worked with at the time told me i reminded her of a character in it since i always said 'yeah,yeah..' :D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/24/06 at 10:15 pm

Vaughn and I watched it again today...I love this movie...it's one that you can totally watch over and over and not get sick of it. :D

Written By: nally on 02/26/06 at 11:09 pm

Vaughn and I watched it again today...I love this movie...it's one that you can totally watch over and over and not get sick of it. :D

I'm that way about a lot of movies. I could name some, but it'll be time-consuming to just sit here and name them one by one...

Was it on ABC Family again last Friday or did you watch it on tape/dvd?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/26/06 at 11:10 pm

I'm that way about a lot of movies. I could name some, but it'll be time-consuming to just sit here and name them one by one...

Was it on ABC Family again last Friday or did you watch it on tape/dvd?

we have the DVD...so he watches it like once a day! LOL! ;D

Written By: nally on 02/26/06 at 11:13 pm

we have the DVD...so he watches it like once a day! LOL! ;D

So you can watch it anytime you want! How cool! :D

Going a wee bit off topic...when we saw the "Sister Act" movie in 1992 we thought it was hilarious! And we bought it once it was released on video, so we can see it anytime...but lately it's been shown on TV so much, especially on TBS. I still enjoy it though. :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/26/06 at 11:15 pm

So you can watch it anytime you want! How cool! :D

Going a wee bit off topic...when we saw the "Sister Act" movie in 1992 we thought it was hilarious! And we bought it once it was released on video, so we can see it anytime...but lately it's been shown on TV so much, especially on TBS. I still enjoy it though. :)

I like that one....I like the sequel of it as well.

Written By: nally on 02/26/06 at 11:17 pm

I like that one....I like the sequel of it as well.

In the sequel, I believe, Whoopi Goldberg's character became a music teacher at a private secondary school; Lauryn Hill (who was then 18 y.o.) was in that one as well. It wasn't nearly as good as Part 1, though. In fact, I haven't seen it much lately.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/26/06 at 11:56 pm

I love it when Benny breaks out the shoebox containing his magical PF Flyers, amazing high top tennis shoes that would give him the extra stuff he'd need to get past the beast. They were like the holy grail of kids shoes

Written By: nally on 02/27/06 at 4:07 pm

I love it when Benny breaks out the shoebox containing his magical PF Flyers, amazing high top tennis shoes that would give him the extra stuff he'd need to get past the beast. They were like the holy grail of kids shoes

But then as soon as he hops back over the fence, the beast leaps over the fence too...and chases after the boys, going on a rampage of the town. The boys somehow lead him back to his yard; I forget how they do that. :-\\

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/27/06 at 7:54 pm

But then as soon as he hops back over the fence, the beast leaps over the fence too...and chases after the boys, going on a rampage of the town. The boys somehow lead him back to his yard; I forget how they do that. :-\\
I think the fence fell on top of the dog and incapacitated him, thats when they knocked on the door to tell the old man, James Earl Jones and then they pick the fence up off the dog and the dog starts licking smalls face. gross!!!!!!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/27/06 at 10:09 pm

I think the fence fell on top of the dog and incapacitated him, thats when they knocked on the door to tell the old man, James Earl Jones and then they pick the fence up off the dog and the dog starts licking smalls face. gross!!!!!!

eww...I hate sloppy dogs like that! :P

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/27/06 at 10:39 pm

eww...I hate sloppy dogs like that! :P
I have a friend that kisses the dog and lets the cat lick her hair and smell her breath. Isn't that lovely. pretty desperate for affection

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/27/06 at 10:41 pm

I have a friend that kisses the dog and lets the cat lick her hair and smell her breath. Isn't that lovely. pretty desperate for affection

that's freakin' nasty! :(  I always get grossed out when I see dogs with lots of spit hanging down from their mouth (think Turner & Hooch)....and I hate when people like make out with their pets....but anyways..back to the topic...

Vaughn watches this movie so much that he is starting to repeat lines from the movie....it's so cute! ;)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/27/06 at 10:52 pm

that's freakin' nasty! :(   I always get grossed out when I see dogs with lots of spit hanging down from their mouth (think Turner & Hooch)....and I hate when people like make out with their pets....but anyways..back to the topic...

Vaughn watches this movie so much that he is starting to repeat lines from the movie....it's so cute! ;)
he does?? I like that kid, he rocks! he'll be a Sandlot trivia expert

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/27/06 at 10:57 pm

he does?? I like that kid, he rocks! he'll be a Sandlot trivia expert

hahaah...ya, tonight he was like, "He's a square....L 7...weenie!!" ;D ;D

Written By: nally on 02/28/06 at 12:11 pm

Ah yes. I remember now. JEJ invites the boys in later on.

At least all was well after that.

Written By: d90 on 12/01/17 at 10:00 pm

My junior high school teacher used to play this movie.

Written By: nally on 12/02/17 at 12:52 am

My junior high school teacher used to play this movie.

I was in junior high when the movie came out... as well as when it was released to video. In fact, I remember seeing it on video in my 8th grade English class in March of 1994. :)

More recently, however, I have seen parts of the movie on MLB Network.

Written By: d90 on 12/02/17 at 6:21 am

I was in junior high when the movie came out... as well as when it was released to video. In fact, I remember seeing it on video in my 8th grade English class in March of 1994. :)

I was about 3 or 4 when it first came out on vhs. I was 15 when the sequel came out

Written By: SkittlesCat on 12/02/17 at 6:25 am

Nice, how was it like?

Written By: Howard on 12/02/17 at 1:48 pm

I saw the film on YouTube, it was an alright movie, I think towards the end it got pretty good.

Written By: nally on 12/02/17 at 2:48 pm

Nice, how was it like?

There were parts of it that I enjoyed.

However I felt bad about the scene with the big doggy, but glad he was okay in the end.

Written By: Howard on 12/03/17 at 7:05 am

There were parts of it that I enjoyed.

However I felt bad about the scene with the big doggy, but glad he was okay in the end.

When the fence fell on the dog and the dog forgave him with a doggy kiss.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/03/17 at 7:06 am

I was set up to watch that film!

Written By: nally on 12/03/17 at 5:42 pm

Yes, that I remember. Also, the kids find out that the dog's name is Hercules.

When MLB Network shows it again I will watch that scene.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/08/17 at 1:18 pm

I was set up to watch that film!
No more spoilers please!

Written By: Howard on 12/08/17 at 1:36 pm

No more spoilers please!

OK, mum's the word.

Written By: nally on 12/08/17 at 5:04 pm

No more spoilers please!

OK, mum's the word.

I tried not to give away too many details, but those are things I remember. :-X

Written By: Bab2781 on 12/09/17 at 2:15 pm

The Sandlot is def in my top ten greatest films of all time.

Written By: Rosequartz2000 on 01/06/18 at 10:42 pm

The carnival scene made me laugh so hard as a kid. My other favorite scene was (and still is) when the guard dog finally becomes a nice dog.

Check for new replies or respond here...