inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: some 90's stuff I just remembered

Written By: Chris S on 01/29/06 at 9:38 pm

Dunkaroos-These came out around '94 or so. They were little grahm cracker cookie like snacks that you could dip into vanilla or chocolate frosting. They had a creepy kangaroo in their ads. Probably came off the shelfs in the very late 90's or very early 2000's. Came back around '03 but didnt last long.

Skip It-Kind of a hoola hoop and jump rope thing I guess. It was this pink toy you put around your ankle and swing it around. It was pink and mostly popular with girls I think. Early 90's.

Window 98-Was considered amazing when it came out and now sucks.

Encarta-Kind of an encycolpedia program. Came with Windows I think. Basically the Wikipedia of today.

Tamagatchi-Little computer pet. Very popular late 90's. I think every day was it's birthday. So once you had the thing for two weeks, it would be 14 years old.(not 100% on that)

Bop It-This toy from the late 90's. A voice would say "bop it" and you would hit the bop it button. It also had a twist it and pull it. A couple years later they made Bop It Extreme.

Pokemon cards-Were popular when all Pokemon stuff was popular. Everyone wanted the Charizard card. They used to be worth quite a bit but probabl arent worth crap now.

Noodle-Colored stirofoams pool toys. Still around today.

Barney-Purple dinosaur.

Anyone remember these?

Subject: Re: some 90's stuff I just remembered

Written By: Sarah1183 on 01/30/06 at 6:00 am

Oh yeah, absolutely.

Except I had Windows 3.1 when it first came out in 1993. Talk about old and crappy. I loved it though, I thought it was the most amazing thing compared to the crappy Apples we had to use in our school.

I had a good old hot pink Skip-It in 1990. It WAS all the rage. I also had snap bracelets... until they were banned.  ::)

Written By: audkal on 01/30/06 at 8:32 pm

I recognized everything you mentioned except Encarta (We've always had Macintosh computers in our family so I was never familiar with certain programs for Windows).

Dunkaroos - I pretty much only had them on "special occasions" considering we didn't have much money to blow back in the 90s.  I remember I was in kindergarten in '94 and I got to bring dunkaroos with my lunch on a field trip, lol, good times.

Had a Skip-It, a Giga-Pet (which was pretty much the same as Tamagatchi, just a different brand).  Also still have the original Bop-It, and was obsessed with Pokemon cards in '99.  I never got the Charizard card, but my cousin had one, and I remember at the time the Charizard card being worth $80 by itself.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/30/06 at 8:36 pm

Yes...I remember all of the things that you mentioned....and funny that you mention "Bop It"...I just recently bought an original one off of Ebay for my little boy...he was impressed with it (a friend had an old one that he was playing it).

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/31/06 at 1:08 pm

Anyone remember POGS?  I can only vaguely remember my cousin playing with these, circa 1995-'96. 

Written By: bbigd04 on 01/31/06 at 2:36 pm

Anyone remember POGS?  I can only vaguely remember my cousin playing with these, circa 1995-'96. 

Yea I still have mine that I got in 1995, lol.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/31/06 at 3:16 pm

Yea I still have mine that I got in 1995, lol.

It was like the Pokemon of its day, I think.  1995-'97, maybe, was its span?

The Ninja Turtles were also popular into the early and middle '90s.

Written By: bbigd04 on 01/31/06 at 3:21 pm

It was like the Pokemon of its day, I think.  1995-'97, maybe, was its span?

The Ninja Turtles were also popular into the early and middle '90s.

More like 1994-1996 probably. I think it was already dead by 97.

Written By: audkal on 01/31/06 at 9:39 pm

Yup, I still got a stack of pogs from back in the day, probably got them in '96.

My bros were REALLY into Ninja Turtles back then too.

Check for new replies or respond here...