inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Did late 90's pop have an 80's influence?

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/03/06 at 4:30 am

Is it just me or did various pop songs from 1998/'99 have a vague 80s-ness about them, albeit in an updated sense? It didn't sound so much like the earlier classic rock/new wave from the MTV era, but more like the first wave of teen pop or soft rock stuff from the late 80s. In a personal sense, even though I was getting more nostalgic for the 80's and everything else from my childhood by that point, I still liked some of the new music since it felt kinda familar.

Some examples:

Torn - Natalie Imbruglia
I Want it That Way - Backstreet Boys
Believe - Cher
Crush - Jennifer Paige
She's so High - Tal Bachman
What's My Age Again - Blink 182
Sometimes - Britney Spears (guilty pleasure, lol)

Subject: Re: Did late 90's pop have an 80's influence?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/03/06 at 12:10 pm

I think so.  In fact, the teen pop wave of 1997-2001 is an exact echo of the 1987-1991 teen pop wave.  It began during a more "serious" era of music, and fused into a more "serious" period of music after it.  Britney Spears is very similar to Debbie Gibson in her role, and Backstreet Boys are really just the New Kids for the late '90s/early '00s.

I do think though, that by 1998 the '90s broke any ties they still had with the '80s. Hell, even 1996 had Pizza Hut, VHS, arcades, faxes, was somewhat pre-Internet, etc. 

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/03/06 at 11:33 pm

Is it just me or did various pop songs from 1998/99 have a vague "80s-ness" about them (albeit in an updated sense)? It didn't sound so much like the earlier classic rock/new wave 80's, but more like the SAW/first wave of teen pop 80's.

Maybe that's why, even though by that point, I was getting more nostalgic for the 80's and everything else from my early childhood, I still liked some of the new music. It wasn't entirely unfamiliar.

Some examples:

Torn - Natalie Imbruglia
I Want it That Way - Backstreet Boys
Believe - Cher
Crush - Jennifer Paige
She's so High - Tal Bachman
What's My Age Again - Blink 182
Sometimes - Britney Spears (I dislike most of her music, but this is a guilty pleasure exception!)

Now that Crush song is stuck in my head, lol.  ;D

Written By: whistledog on 02/03/06 at 11:37 pm

Alot of the late 90's British pop groups like Steps and Boyzone had a very 80's feel to it.  Steps even did an 80's cover with the Bee Gees/Diana Ross tune "Chain Reaction" and Boyzone also did a cover of Billy Ocean's "When the Going Gets Tough"

Check for new replies or respond here...