inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 90's K-Mart

Written By: Roadgeek on 02/05/06 at 6:12 pm

Remember what K-Mart was like in the 90's? I'm talking about before the invasion of Super K-Marts and the transformation into what I like to call "K-Sears".

What I remember are oversized vents, popcorn smell, and continuous 80's music like "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go".

Subject: Re: 90's K-Mart

Written By: audkal on 02/05/06 at 6:41 pm

YES, and at our K-Mart in the mid 90s there was a spot on the left side of the store (passed the clothes) where it was like a burger joint, you could get burgers, hot pretzels, and drinks---and I think popcorn too.  But I think they closed that down about 5 years ago (I think alot of people got sick from the food).

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 02/06/06 at 7:18 am

Here in California the Kmarts used to have submarine sandwiches and burritos called pizza snacks, taco snacks, and burrito snacks. Absolutely delicious. The Kmart closest to me still has the submarines, but theyre not the same.

Written By: whistledog on 02/06/06 at 7:49 am

All of the K-Mart's around here closed down in the mid-90's  :\'(

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/06/06 at 11:30 am

K-Mart's more an early '90s thing, but they certainly were around in the '90s and probably moreso than today.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/06/06 at 3:18 pm

our K-marts had and still do have Little Caesar's Pizza located in the store.

Written By: whistledog on 02/06/06 at 5:42 pm

our K-marts had and still do have Little Caesar's Pizza located in the store.

The last time I was in New York State, I noticed they had a Little Caesar's in a K-Mart.  It was really surprised. 

Two stores that no longer exist in my area, are two in one in America :o

Written By: gmann on 02/09/06 at 7:02 am

The K-mart I often visited as a kid had a cafeteria in the rear of the building. The store is still there, but the place for eats has been gone for years. K-mart really took a hit when Wal-mart came to the region.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/09/06 at 10:54 am

There was one of the older 80's style k-marts here but it closed down in '93 and moved just across the street where it became one of the newer sort of mid-90's style ones just like you guys said it had a eating place inside but it seemed to me to be more of a burger joint than anything else but it too closed down i think in '01.

Written By: Classie83 on 02/09/06 at 8:28 pm

Remember what K-Mart was like in the 90's? I'm talking about before the invasion of Super K-Marts and the transformation into what I like to call "K-Sears".

What I remember are oversized vents, popcorn smell, and continuous 80's music like "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go".

I've lived in NYC all my life and have never once set foot in a K-Mart! Is this a good or a bad thing? 'l'

Written By: Dukefan on 02/13/06 at 8:05 pm

OMG!!! I use to love eating at my local K-Mart's cafeteria.  (Granted I was a kid at the time!)  That was the only reason I would go into the place with my parents when I was 4 or 5.  Unfortunately they removed the dining area in '96 or '97.

I remember when K-Mart was top dog rather than Wal-Mart.  Kind of made me sad when they went bankrupt a few years back. 

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/13/06 at 10:50 pm

OMG!!! I use to love eating at my local K-Mart's cafeteria.  (Granted I was a kid at the time!)  That was the only reason I would go into the place with my parents when I was 4 or 5.  Unfortunately they removed the dining area in '96 or '97.

I remember when K-Mart was top dog rather than Wal-Mart.  Kind of made me sad when they went bankrupt a few years back.   

Yeah K-mart used to be the thing. Which is why it surprises me that it fell so quick to wal-mart. I mean all they did was open up some supercenters and k-mart's stock fell like a ton of bricks.

Written By: Echo Nomad on 03/03/06 at 1:17 am

Yeah, I noticed that KMart died in waves. It seemed that every few years a whole slew of store closings were announced.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/03/06 at 1:20 am

Yeah, I noticed that KMart died in waves. It seemed that every few years a whole slew of store closings were announced.

Is this because of the 1990s and '00s rise of Wal-Mart?

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/03/06 at 1:40 am

Is this because of the 1990s and '00s rise of Wal-Mart?

I'd say so. I think Wal-Mart slowly but surely took K-Mart out.

Check for new replies or respond here...