inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: juliana hatfield

Written By: Tia on 02/07/06 at 12:04 am

"become what you are" -- i really love this album.

anyone else know it?

Subject: Re: juliana hatfield

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 02/07/06 at 12:10 am

I looked up the tracks. "My Sister" is the only one I know from that album. Really good song.

Written By: Tia on 02/07/06 at 12:18 am

i just listened to that song like 400 billion times! i LOVE that song!

i like the rest of that album pretty good but that's my fave by a long shot.

Written By: Tia on 02/07/06 at 12:27 am

just for those who don't know.

omg, so sad and tragic!

My sister... my sister... my sister.

I hate my sister, she

Written By: lldn324 on 02/07/06 at 10:44 am

I'm a big Juliana Hatfield fan and was so excited to see a post about her!!  Most of her pre and post "Become What You Are" work is quite different.  I personally like the old Blake Babies and early 90s Juliana the best but really enjoy pretty much everything she does.  I think she is highly underrated as a writer and a musician. 

Great memories from that album....thanks for bringing it up!

Written By: Tia on 02/07/06 at 11:05 am

I went shopping for BWYA a while back and found out it's apparently out of print. I just happened to stumble on a used CD at a record store later on. kinda a drag, that's pretty much her biggest album, I'd imagine, so I bet her other stuff would be even harder to find.

A lot of people remember that sister song. It really seems to have stuck in folks' minds.

Written By: lldn324 on 02/07/06 at 11:24 am

I don't know exactly what happened, but I do know that she had some sort of big fall out with her former record company and there was an album, "God's Foot", that they wouldn't allow her to release.  That may be why some of the older stuff is out of print or harder to find too.  But now she has her own - or either is associated with (not sure which it is) - her own record company, Ye Olde Records in Massachusetts.  If you go to her website julianahatfield.com, you can find some press releases and other information on her. 

The video for My Sister was pretty cool also.  Remember "Spin the Bottle" from the Reality Bites soundtrack?  That was her other "big" hit.

Written By: Tia on 02/07/06 at 7:47 pm

lol! it's hilarious that she does "spin the bottle," which is totally all innocent, oo! maybe i can kiss the boy i like!, and then two songs later or something like that she's doing "iron man," which is just plain feelthy.

well, it's cool in a way that there are rights issues because at least it means she didn't just pass into obscurity. so what do you think her best album is, besides BWYA?

Written By: lldn324 on 02/08/06 at 5:33 am

You are so right about how "innocent" she sounded on STB!  Tanya Donelly from Belly was also in that video and, as you might recall,  the two of them teamed up for the remake of "Josie and the Pussycats" which was one of my favorites on the Saturday Morning Cartoons disc.

My personal fave album of JH is Hey Babe with "The Lights" and "No Outlet" being my fave songs from that album.

I have quite a bit of JH stuff, including a couple of the Blake Babies CDs, plus I know other people who are into her.  Let me know if you have a hard time finding something and I might be able to help you out.  Always great to hear from someone else who appreciates her talent  :)

Written By: AnnieBanannie on 02/08/06 at 2:29 pm

"become what you are" -- i really love this album.

anyone else

That album kicks butt.  I still listen to it often today.

Check for new replies or respond here...