inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: You in the 90s: Social circles and labels

Written By: gmann on 02/11/06 at 12:06 pm

Since Donnie's off on a sabbatical, I can help bridge the gap with a new topic.  :)

If you were a teenager in the 90s, what social category/categories did you find yourself in? (It's easy to overgeneralize, but bear with me.) Were you a popular kid or a loner? Were you some combination of other categories? In high school, I felt that I was somewhere between the usual social groups; I was neither popular nor a nerd, though I had been perceived as the latter during middle school.  :(

To be honest, I didn't care that much about what people thought of me in high school. The negative experiences that preceded it left me a little bitter, but I did my best to not let that affect my relationships with my friends. I tried to be myself, which is all you can be, right?  :)

Subject: Re: You in the 90s: Social circles and labels

Written By: Juan on 02/11/06 at 1:58 pm

united states has soooooooo much social problems
I can't still belive the people are seperated in that way, or even SEPERATED

BUT, If I would live in USA in the 90's, I would be  in the "Latino's section"
LOL

Juan

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/11/06 at 7:04 pm

I was pretty much my own group.  ;D

Written By: woops on 02/11/06 at 10:52 pm

I was an outsider outsider, whatever that is  ::)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/11/06 at 11:43 pm

1990-1998: Little kid
1999: The Weird Kid

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/13/06 at 1:36 am

In elementary school, I was definitely the nerdy kid who kept to herself.

In high school, I guess I was one of the more popular girls (it was an all-girls Catholic school), but it was by virtue of not being a coked-up slut.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/13/06 at 11:43 am

My social group was me and 3 other guys who just goofed-off, never did work,and got picked on constantly.

Written By: Sarah1183 on 02/17/06 at 5:50 pm

The shy quiet one. And the class artist.  ;)

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/18/06 at 1:14 am

I've always been fairly quiet and shy, though back then I did talk more but I was kind of annoying which has since led me to be a quiter person now. I did get into some small fights and people would bother me but really it was my fault because I led them on. 5th-7th grade in the late '90s was a pretty frustrating couple of years. I was already in another world and spending most of my time on the computer and online by the late '90s and really didn't care about school much so my grades were pretty crappy. Really I hated school from around 4th grade on and I'm glad I'm done with it.

Written By: Cafe80s on 02/19/06 at 8:45 am

None really. If you've seen the movie Dazed & Confused it was a bit like that where everyone knew everyone & everyone's lives would sorta cross paths at some point. I sorta hung out & talked to everyone. Nerds, popular kids, skaters, my brother & his friends, the smokers on the oval & the jocks. It didn't really matter to me. That's not to say that there weren't people at my school that didn't hate my gutts & give me a hard time though. I definitly wasn't the most popular guy in school, but i also wasn't really one of the "unpopular" kids so to speak. It's hard to really put my self in a category though. Although i've always sort of percieved myself as a metal head, but i guess i would have been percieved by others as the long haired/surfie/skater/stoner type character. My school had a high surfie/skater demographic back then & most guys at the time had long hair with undercuts.

Subject: Shotgun Moogles

Written By: Echo Nomad on 03/03/06 at 1:11 am

Basically I was the preColumbine loner complete with the black "shotgun"coat. The closest I came to joining a circle was during my Sophmore year for some reason, but the circle broke after that year. I had a couple of friends all centered the new smash hit of 1995- Final Fantasy 3! (6)

Check for new replies or respond here...