inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Are the '90s actually the precursor to the 21st Century?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/13/06 at 6:39 pm

I'd say, in the US and Canada anyways they were the transition, along with the 1980s.  More like the 21st though than like the core 20th Century (1914/'15-1990/'91).

Subject: Re: Are the '90s actually the precursor to the 21st Century?

Written By: Roadgeek on 02/13/06 at 8:11 pm

The 90's consisted of the pop culture of the 80's and the technology of the 00's. So basically, the 90's were hybrid. In other words, it was the perfect decade.

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 02/13/06 at 10:19 pm

Your hiatus certainly are short.

Sorry if this is the wrong thread for that comment. I hope I shouldn't have waited for the one comparing hiatus of the past to those of the present, or whether the hiatus of 2005 were closer in nature to those of 1995 or 1985...

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/13/06 at 10:25 pm

I'd say in some ways yes. Obviously the 90's are late 20th century but culturally there like early 21st. Especially since most of the major advances in technology took place in the 90's and because of that most of the tech we use today had its cornerstone laid in the 90's.btw welcome back donnie

Written By: Donnie_Darko on 02/13/06 at 10:33 pm

I'd say in some ways yes. Obviously the 90's are late 20th century but culturally there like early 21st. Especially since most of the major advances in technology took place in the 90's and because of that most of the tech we use today had its cornerstone laid in the 90's.btw welcome back donnie

Thanks  ;D

Written By: Juan on 02/14/06 at 12:53 am

The 90's consisted of the pop culture of the 80's and the technology of the 00's. So basically, the 90's were hybrid. In other words, it was the perfect decade.

:\'( u're fudgeing right!!!

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/14/06 at 1:29 am

I'd say so. It's the "early 21st century" more than the late 20th. Kind of the way 1979 was more '70s than '80s, but was the first year things began to really look '80s. The early '90s began looking 21st Century.

I was still a kid in 1991, but I do recall a big change that year and '92 as well. It just seemed like we were moving into a vastly different time. The first whispers of the Internet were from this time, and that was also the last time we had a truly "universal" pop culture change.

Written By: Donnie_Darko on 02/14/06 at 2:50 am

I'd say so. It's the "early 21st century" more than the late 20th. Kind of the way 1979 was more '70s than '80s, but was the first year things began to really look '80s. The early '90s began looking 21st Century.

I was still a kid in 1991, but I do recall a big change that year and '92 as well. It just seemed like we were moving into a vastly different time. The first whispers of the Internet were from this time, and that was also the last time we had a truly "universal" pop culture change.

Agreed, although I don't remember the early '90s as I was only 0-3 then!

One might make a case for 1993 being the beginning of the 21st Century.  Bush One seemed like a 20th Century president (even if Dubya is a 19th, um I mean 21st Century president).  The very early 1990s (pretty much Jan 1990 to maybe August of '91) still seemed 20th Century, for instance if you watch the movies from then the TVs look '80esque and the cars of that time didn't quite look Martian like they would begin to by 1992 or so.  The Cold War also was declared over I believe at the end of 1992.

The Clinton years of 1993-2000 really was when the tech boom took off, but 1989-1992 was definitely transitional too.  I was born in 1990 though, so obviously this is all second-hand coming from me (although probably not far from the truth).

Of course, there's also the possibility that we haven't even seen the real 21st Century yet, and that the 1991/'92-2006+ era is just a little bit more "post-modern" than the bulk 20th Century and will seem very much like the 1960s, '70s, etc. compared to the 2020s and the like.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/14/06 at 5:37 am

I think that the '80s is usually agreed by scholars to be the decade of the beginning of transition to the digital age or information age or whatever they call it.

Written By: Juan on 02/14/06 at 7:24 am

I think that the '80s is usually agreed by scholars to be the decade of the beginning of transition to the digital age or information age or whatever they call it.

B-U-M-P

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/14/06 at 2:04 pm

Agreed, although I don't remember the early '90s as I was only 0-3 then!

One might make a case for 1993 being the beginning of the 21st Century.  Bush One seemed like a 20th Century president (even if Dubya is a 19th, um I mean 21st Century president).  The very early 1990s (pretty much Jan 1990 to maybe August of '91) still seemed 20th Century, for instance if you watch the movies from then the TVs look '80esque and the cars of that time didn't quite look Martian like they would begin to by 1992 or so.  The Cold War also was declared over I believe at the end of 1992.

The Clinton years of 1993-2000 really was when the tech boom took off, but 1989-1992 was definitely transitional too.  I was born in 1990 though, so obviously this is all second-hand coming from me (although probably not far from the truth).

Of course, there's also the possibility that we haven't even seen the real 21st Century yet, and that the 1991/'92-2006+ era is just a little bit more "post-modern" than the bulk 20th Century and will seem very much like the 1960s, '70s, etc. compared to the 2020s and the like.

I agree with you there. It seems like the transition from Bush Sr. to Clinton was a huge turning point and 1993 does seem like the year tech really took off. By the end of his term the internet,cell phones,and dvd's were all pretty much essential.

Written By: Jewel on 02/16/06 at 12:58 am

With the Internet, voicemail, and cell phones becoming mainstream during that decade I would say that they were in some ways like the 21st century.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/16/06 at 12:59 am

With the Internet, voicemail, and cell phones becoming mainstream during that decade I would say that they were in some ways like the 21st century.

Plus, their lack of culture.

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/16/06 at 1:02 am

In some ways yes.

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/17/06 at 7:39 am

Speaking of that, I think the only technology from the '90s that's truly "dated" is pagers.

I was watching something I taped in '98 that still had a commercial for a brand of pagers. While those were clearly past their peak then, it still kinda worked, whereas it would be antiquated and silly now. ;D

Those were more 1991-94-ish. I remember everyone had them around this time.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/17/06 at 12:35 pm

Also, beepers. I think after c. 2001, 2002 nobody had them.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/17/06 at 2:38 pm

Speaking of that, I think the only technology from the '90s that's truly "dated" is pagers.

I was watching something I taped in '98 that still had a commercial for a brand of pagers. While those were clearly past their peak then, it still kinda worked, whereas it would be antiquated and silly now. ;D

Those were more 1991-94-ish. I remember everyone had them around this time.

Also, the old mobile and cell phones.  Even as late as 1999, they looked very silly!

Written By: Jewel on 02/17/06 at 11:35 pm

Also, the old mobile and cell phones.  Even as late as 1999, they looked very silly!

That reminds me of a Saved By the Bell episode where Zack brought in his cell phone to class, and the thing was huge!

Written By: nally on 02/17/06 at 11:37 pm

That reminds me of a Saved By the Bell episode where Zack brought in his cell phone to class, and the thing was huge!

He used a mobile phone in many episodes. Including the time when they worked at Malibu Sands, and he used it to call Mr. Carosi about the car. Carosi's mobile phone was bulky too, as I recall.
No, wait. I think Carosi may have used a flip phone.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/17/06 at 11:40 pm

Was it from 1989 or the early 1990s?

It's true that a lot of early '90s technologies are really cheesy today, but they have nothing on '80s tech.

Written By: nally on 02/17/06 at 11:43 pm

Was it from 1989 or the early 1990s?

It's true that a lot of early '90s technologies are really cheesy today, but they have nothing on '80s tech.

Could've been either. I seem to recall he had that phone during their freshman year, which began in 1989. In the episode where John Moschitta guest-starred as a speed-talking history teacher, Zack had a bet with Slater about who would do better on the test; at the end, Slater told Zack to get on the phone and order him a pizza (or something like that).

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/17/06 at 11:46 pm

Could've been either. I seem to recall he had that phone during their freshman year, which began in 1989. In the episode where John Moschitta guest-starred as a speed-talking history teacher, Zack had a bet with Slater about who would do better on the test; at the end, Slater told Zack to get on the phone and order him a pizza (or something like that).

So like 1989 or 1990 or thereabouts?

Weren't those sort of cell phones more common than the micro ones up to like 1994 or so?  Even the late '90s ones couldn't do near as much as '00s ones.

Written By: nally on 02/17/06 at 11:50 pm

So like 1989 or 1990 or thereabouts?

Weren't those sort of cell phones more common than the micro ones up to like 1994 or so?  Even the late '90s ones couldn't do near as much as '00s ones.

Yep. ;)

My mom got her first cell phone in 1994, and it was a bulky Motorola. She upgraded to a little Nokia in '97, and has gotten new phones ever since. My first cell phone, which I got in 1998, was also a Motorola, which was bulky, but not nearly as bulky as...well, you know, the Zack Morris-type phones.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/17/06 at 11:53 pm

Yep. ;)

My mom got her first cell phone in 1994, and it was a bulky Motorola. She upgraded to a little Nokia in '97, and has gotten new phones ever since. My first cell phone, which I got in 1998, was also a Motorola, which was bulky, but not nearly as bulky as...well, you know, the Zack Morris-type phones.

Was Saved by the Bell a '80s show in feel, a '90s show in feel, or more a "1990" sort of show.  Yes, more than 75% of its run was '90s, but considering the 1990 and 1991 episodes probably have a pseudo-'80s feel to them you could argue it's both, even though it had like less than 5 months in 1989.

Written By: nally on 02/18/06 at 12:06 am

Was Saved by the Bell a '80s show in feel, a '90s show in feel, or more a "1990" sort of show.  Yes, more than 75% of its run was '90s, but considering the 1990 and 1991 episodes probably have a pseudo-'80s feel to them you could argue it's both, even though it had like less than 5 months in 1989.

Well it does have more connections with the 80's than just premiering at Bayside High in 1989. It evolved from "Good Morning Miss Bliss", which reflected Zack, Screech, and Lisa's junior high days (1987-early '89).

By the way, I do have a thread on here entitled "Favorite 'Saved By The Bell' character"...it's probably buried a few pages down.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/18/06 at 12:13 am

Well it does have more connections with the 80's than just premiering at Bayside High in 1989. It evolved from "Good Morning Miss Bliss", which reflected Zack, Screech, and Lisa's junior high days (1987-early '89).

By the way, I do have a thread on here entitled "Favorite 'Saved By The Bell' character"...it's probably buried a few pages down.

Is that actually a real show?  Nonetheless, I think it's generally regarded as a "1990ish" sort of show.

"Fresh Prince", while not debuting until Fall of 1990 also has some '80s credit because of DJ Jazzy Jeff and Fresh Prince.  The theme song and first season are also very-80s-like.  The 1990-'91 season has a very 1980s atmosphere compared to later seasons.

Written By: nally on 02/18/06 at 12:25 am

Is that actually a real show?  Nonetheless, I think it's generally regarded as a "1990ish" sort of show.

I was gonna say the same thing. It was on more in the 90's than the 80s' anyway.

Written By: nally on 02/18/06 at 12:33 am

"Fresh Prince", while not debuting until Fall of 1990 also has some '80s credit because of DJ Jazzy Jeff and Fresh Prince.  The theme song and first season are also very-80s-like.  The 1990-'91 season has a very 1980s atmosphere compared to later seasons.

You may notice that during the first season, the layout of the main room of the mansion was different than that of the subsequent seasons. Notice how the staircase is in the background? Wasn't there during the first season.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/18/06 at 12:35 am

You may notice that during the first season, the layout of the main room of the mansion was different than that of the subsequent seasons. Notice how the staircase is in the background? Wasn't there during the first season.

Yes!

Also, the background is more '80s, with the indoor plants and the pastels.  The '90s had more of a dark, but still cluttered look.  The '00s is white, clean, and harsh.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/18/06 at 5:59 am

I hope that "white, clean, and harsh" look you referenced ends.

Written By: nally on 02/19/06 at 12:05 am

Yes!

Also, the background is more '80s, with the indoor plants and the pastels.  The '90s had more of a dark, but still cluttered look.  The '00s is white, clean, and harsh.

Yeah...the furniture from the first season of FPOBA had that look too.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/19/06 at 3:40 am

I hope that "white, clean, and harsh" look you referenced ends.

Me too.  :)

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/19/06 at 6:53 am

I think part of it is that the '60s modernism thing has come back, which is pretty damn harsh and started going out of style in the '70s. Combined with the "futuristic" new technology, it's made it that style. But things really do go in and out of fashion, I think technology and interior design will be less futuristic looking pretty soon. Like a semi-futuristic looking style came back in the 1980s, but this was pretty much out by the '90s.

Check for new replies or respond here...