inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Gin Blossoms

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 02/13/06 at 10:38 pm

I was just listening to some of their stuff. I still love it. Which songs do y'all like?

Subject: Re: Gin Blossoms

Written By: whistledog on 02/13/06 at 10:41 pm

"Found Out About You" is such an awesome song.  You know, up until a few months ago, I didn't even know it was them who sang it  :-[

Written By: audkal on 02/13/06 at 10:46 pm

I picked "Found Out About You" and "Follow You Down"--two great songs.  :)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/14/06 at 12:54 am

Hey Jealousy and 'Til I Hear It From You because they are the only two songs I recognized and have heard before.

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 02/14/06 at 1:03 am

Hey Jealousy and 'Til I Hear It From You because they are the only two songs I recognized and have heard before.
Wow, you never heard 'Found out about you'? Where were you in 1994? :o  It was played on the radio constantly, and if memory serves me correct, it was their biggest hit.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/14/06 at 3:09 am

Wow, you never heard 'Found out about you'? Where were you in 1994? :o  It was played on the radio constantly, and if memory serves me correct, it was their biggest hit.

In 1994, I was 12 years old, and not really listening to the radio all that much, TBH.  It's quite possible that I have heard it before, but I don't remember one note in that song or even a lyric, save the title. 

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 02/14/06 at 3:16 am

Until I Fall Away was my fave followed by Hey Jealousy

Saw them in concert, I think around 1994 or so, they were the headlining act of an all-day festival (others that played were Goo Goo Dolls, Spin Doctors, Blessid Union of Souls, L7 and a couple others I can't remember).  By the time Gin Blossoms were on, they seemed too drunk to play, they kept messing up lyrics and guitar-playing.  I was pretty disappointed, because they were why I went, but I *really* enjoyed Goo Goo Dolls and Blessid Union of Souls, so it wasn't a total waste of a day.

Written By: gmann on 02/14/06 at 11:52 am

I passed on the Gin Blossoms during their heyday, but love 'em now. My wife converted me.  ;D "Til I Hear it From You" is a goody, but I also like "Follow you Down".

Everytime I hear "Found Out About You", it puts me right back in high school. Somehow, the story in the song has the ability to conjure up images of those days in a way that rivals any music video. I dunno if that makes sense to anyone else, but that's my two cents. 

Written By: Matt the Rat76 on 02/14/06 at 1:54 pm

I like until I fall awaay and in 1994 I was 18 at the time

Written By: nally on 02/14/06 at 6:18 pm

I remember being in junior high when the Gin Blossoms had their first hits. At the time, I loved listening to them; "Found Out About You" and "Hey Jealousy" were my favorite songs of theirs. "Until I Fall Away" is one I like now, though.

Then in 1995 they released "Till I Hear It From You", which was on the same album as their '96 hit "Follow You Down." I was a sophomore in high school at the time.

So my favorites in no particular order:
Until I Fall Away
Found Out About You
Till I Hear It From You

Written By: gmann on 02/14/06 at 8:06 pm

On a related note, I read several months ago that the Gin Blossoms are back together. They're touring and shopping around for a label to issue a new disc of songs. Something to watch for...

Written By: McDonald on 02/15/06 at 11:39 am

I picked "Found Out About You" and "Follow You Down"--two great songs.   :)

I picked the same two. I remember likeing "Hey Jealousy" a lot, but I've heard it so many times that it's lost its lustre.

Written By: Harmonica on 02/15/06 at 2:44 pm

"Hey Jealousy" - "Follow you down" - "Till I hear it from you" - "Found out about you"

Like all four.

Written By: STAR70 on 02/15/06 at 6:12 pm

"hey jeleasy" and "til I hear it from you", the latter from the soundtrack from the movie Empire Records

Written By: kellygoo72 on 02/16/06 at 2:15 am

My best friend and i Loved the Gin Blossoms back in college.. Brings back memories... Wonder what ever happened to them?  Are they still together?

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 02/16/06 at 6:17 am

Soul Deep

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/17/06 at 7:43 am

Even though their biggest hits were from their debut album, I've always loved "Follow You Down" the best - it's so catchy. In fact, much of the Congradulations, I'm Sorry album is really good too. "My Car" and "Virginia" are my fave album tracks.

EDIT:
Does anyone think bands like them, Del Amitri and some Collective Soul kind of sound like an update of '80s rock? Like alternative, but way more on the pop side than grunge.

Written By: gmann on 02/17/06 at 1:09 pm

EDIT:
Does anyone think bands like them, Del Amitri and some Collective Soul kind of sound like an update of '80s rock? Like alternative, but way more on the pop side than grunge.

I agree. Overall, the Gin Blossoms and the aforementoned groups definitely have a "sunnier" sound when compared to many of their contemporaries. When used in equal measure, pop and rock sounds can make for some great music. 

Written By: Gis on 02/19/06 at 5:50 am

Gin Blossoms New Miserable Experience is possibly the only cd I have ever had to replace because I played it so much it stopped working !!  ;D

It's good to see Del Amitri mentioned I loved that band and saw them many times live.I got the impression they only had one hit in the states with 'The last to know'. Their earlier album 'Change Everything' was brilliant.

Written By: kairi747 on 02/19/06 at 12:52 pm

i have very fond memories of the gin blossoms!  when my 10 or 11-month-old daughter started cruising along the furnitue, i was playing music on shuffle with six cd's.  it was the funniest thing because every time it was a gin blossoms song, she would stop and dance!  only to their music!  :D

Written By: gmann on 02/19/06 at 2:29 pm

My best friend and i Loved the Gin Blossoms back in college.. Brings back memories... Wonder what ever happened to them?  Are they still together?

You bet they are! :) Check it out:

http://www.ginblossoms.net/

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/19/06 at 6:19 pm

Hey Jealousy and Til I Hear It From You

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 02/19/06 at 7:54 pm

I really loved The Gin Blossoms. They had some great songs. My favorite song from them was "Until I Fall Away"! :)

Written By: ragebass on 02/19/06 at 8:11 pm

Hey Jealousy has always been a favorite of mine but I also liked Cajon Song and Cheatin'.  I saw the band play in Santa Barbara when they were touring to support New Miserable Experience - loved the show but was disappointed when they played Hey Jealousy and they had Glen Phillips from Toad The Wet Sprocket sing it - and he didn't even know the lyrics, Robin had to whisper them into his ear.

Check for new replies or respond here...