inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: L7

Written By: Cafe80s on 02/15/06 at 12:01 pm

It's amazing how much music can change in just ten years or so. The other day i pulled out my L7 Bricks Are Heavy CD (which i bought 14 years ago back in 92 when i was still in high school) & i was totally floored by how great this album still sounds. It's gotten even better with age or maybe it's just cause of all the utter crap i'm subjected to these days, i don't know. It's a damn shame that there isn't anything like it out there these days. These chicks had more balls than most male bands & performers nowadays with the likes of all these wussy screamo bands with there whiney vocals that all sound exactly the same from band to band. The music of that time was so much grittier, grimier & edgier without falling short on the mellody. It's a pitty they never got more popular than in the Bricks Are Heavy Era & only attracted a modest cult following. Maybe it's bacause they were constantly having to proove they were simply a great band instead of just a great female band.
I've recently been trying to download the Pretend We're Dead filmclip, but i've had no luck & it looks like noone is sharing it. It can't have become that obscure & rare already could it? Pitty all you can get on file sharers is current garbage & top 40, but if you use it for slightly more uncommon or obscure stuff (which makes more sense since everything else you can just go out & buy anywhere) you'll get nowhere. That really frustrates me. Same thing happened when i tried to search for the clip to Don't Call Me Dude by Scatterbrain. Anyhow did anyone else get into L7 back then? I was fortunate enough to see them live once (which would be a rare occurance in Australia) & i bought their green skeleton hands logo shirt while i was there & i still have it in my wardrobe to this very day as a momento.

Subject: Re: L7

Written By: STAR70 on 02/15/06 at 6:01 pm

I met Gail Greenwood in 1995, when she was playing bass for Belly

Written By: Kryllith on 02/21/06 at 9:32 am

I've recently been trying to download the Pretend We're Dead filmclip, but i've had no luck & it looks like noone is sharing it. It can't have become that obscure & rare already could it? Pitty all you can get on file sharers is current garbage & top 40, but if you use it for slightly more uncommon or obscure stuff (which makes more sense since everything else you can just go out & buy anywhere) you'll get nowhere.

Would have thought that there might have been a bit of a renewal of "Pretend We're Dead" given that it's featured on the GTA: San Andreas game, and I would assume the soundtrack as well. Could be wrong though, I suppose. I first heard L7 back around 92-93 when a friend of mine who was a fan came up to visit. She picked up the "Bricks are Heavy" cd and we played it a ton during her trip. Ran across them again back when I was djing and I think I've a Bricks are Heavy lp stashed away with the rest of my records. I'll have to see if I can dig it up sometime.

Written By: DaChazman on 02/21/06 at 7:53 pm

Heh. "Pretend We're Dead" is on my mp3 player. Great song by the way. I bet most of the people remember L7 for the infamous tampon incident :P

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 02/24/06 at 9:42 am

Heh. "Pretend We're Dead" is on my mp3 player. Great song by the way. I bet most of the people remember L7 for the infamous tampon incident :P
I wish there were more females in rock music like L7, it seems like all that matters to the big record lables is
Is she hot?
Will teenage boys or girls shell $$$ out for the CD and make us money?
Will she sell?

Simply put, L7 rocks....

Written By: chaka on 04/22/06 at 3:44 pm

L7 rock for sure,Donita Sparks is my hero  :D
why can't she kick Avril Lavigne's ass, for god's sake get rid of that poser!!
where are the bands like L7,Babes In Toyland, Bikini Kill??

Revolution Girl Style Now!!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 04/22/06 at 4:20 pm

L7 rock for sure,Donita Sparks is my hero  :D
why can't she kick Avril Lavigne's ass, for god's sake get rid of that poser!!
where are the bands like L7,Babes In Toyland, Bikini Kill??

Revolution Girl Style Now!!

Avril Lavigne is a poser!

Written By: chaka on 04/22/06 at 4:22 pm

Avril Lavigne is a poser!

Luckily there hasn't been much coming from her lately

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 04/22/06 at 4:24 pm

Would have thought that there might have been a bit of a renewal of "Pretend We're Dead" given that it's featured on the GTA: San Andreas game, and I would assume the soundtrack as well. Could be wrong though, I suppose. I first heard L7 back around 92-93 when a friend of mine who was a fan came up to visit. She picked up the "Bricks are Heavy" cd and we played it a ton during her trip. Ran across them again back when I was djing and I think I've a Bricks are Heavy lp stashed away with the rest of my records. I'll have to see if I can dig it up sometime.

It's amazing how much music can change in just ten years or so. The other day i pulled out my L7 Bricks Are Heavy CD (which i bought 14 years ago back in 92 when i was still in high school) & i was totally floored by how great this album still sounds. It's gotten even better with age or maybe it's just cause of all the utter crap i'm subjected to these days, i don't know. It's a damn shame that there isn't anything like it out there these days. These chicks had more balls than most male bands & performers nowadays with the likes of all these wussy screamo bands with there whiney vocals that all sound exactly the same from band to band. The music of that time was so much grittier, grimier & edgier without falling short on the mellody. It's a pitty they never got more popular than in the Bricks Are Heavy Era & only attracted a modest cult following. Maybe it's bacause they were constantly having to proove they were simply a great band instead of just a great female band.
I've recently been trying to download the Pretend We're Dead filmclip, but i've had no luck & it looks like noone is sharing it. It can't have become that obscure & rare already could it? Pitty all you can get on file sharers is current garbage & top 40, but if you use it for slightly more uncommon or obscure stuff (which makes more sense since everything else you can just go out & buy anywhere) you'll get nowhere. That really frustrates me. Same thing happened when i tried to search for the clip to Don't Call Me Dude by Scatterbrain. Anyhow did anyone else get into L7 back then? I was fortunate enough to see them live once (which would be a rare occurance in Australia) & i bought their green skeleton hands logo shirt while i was there & i still have it in my wardrobe to this very day as a momento.
Try BearShare. That's where I get most of my music, picture, and video downloads. And where I found the mp3 of 'Pretend We're Dead'.

Written By: whistledog on 04/22/06 at 4:41 pm

Luckily there hasn't been much coming from her lately

I still here her songs on the radio quite often.  She's a local girl where I am from, so naturally, it's Avril 24/7 around here  >:( :\'(

Written By: chaka on 04/23/06 at 4:47 am

[quote author=w???

Written By: Cafe80s on 05/25/06 at 12:22 pm

Try BearShare. That's where I get most of my music, picture, and video downloads. And where I found the mp3 of 'Pretend We're Dead'.

cheers, that's what i use though, but sadly i have dail up so that might be a factor in the search results department. People ask me why i still use dial up, but hey for 10 Aussie dollars a month i'm not complaining, that'd be peanuts in U.S. dollars.

Check for new replies or respond here...