inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Remember TGIF?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/16/06 at 12:03 pm

ABC's Friday night line-up consisted of Step by Step, Full House, Family Matters, and I think one other show.  I used to wait for Friday night because all my fave shows were on.  Kinda like when NBC had their Thursday night powerhouse in the 80s with The Cosby Show and Cheers.

Do think they should do something like this again?

Subject: Re: Remember TGIF?

Written By: nally on 02/16/06 at 12:07 pm

Welll, "Full House" was part of the TGIF lineup until mid-1991, when it moved to Tuesdays. "Step By Step" took its place.

The 1991-92 season consisted of, for the most part:

Family Matters
Step By Step
Perfect Strangers
Baby Talk (a short-lived sitcom starring Mary Page Keller as a single mom whose son, Mickey, was "voiced" by Tony Danza)

Written By: Matt the Rat76 on 02/16/06 at 12:09 pm

I remember it 1997-1999 they had not one good show during the dying days of TGIF you wish and teen angel or something like that

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/16/06 at 1:28 pm

Yeah TGIF was the best. Used to watch it every friday night. But yeah it did get pretty crappy in its last few years.

Written By: gmann on 02/16/06 at 2:47 pm

Wasn't "Perfect Strangers" part of the lineup at one point in the early 90s? I also remember the "Growing Pains" spinoff "Just the Ten of Us" as part of TGIF.

Written By: nally on 02/16/06 at 2:49 pm

Wasn't "Perfect Strangers" part of the lineup at one point in the early 90s?

Yes. I mentioned it in my post up above.

And I only remember the 1991-92 lineup well; that's when I was an avid watcher of those shows. And of course, other programs came and went over the years, but "Step By Step" hung around in the Friday lineup for quite a while as I recall.

Written By: gmann on 02/16/06 at 3:02 pm

Yes. I mentioned it in my post up above.

And I only remember the 1991-92 lineup well; that's when I was an avid watcher of those shows. And of course, other programs came and went over the years, but "Step By Step" hung around in the Friday lineup for quite a while as I recall.

Sorry about the mistake. ("Did *I* do that?") I should proofread my posts! :-[ "Step By Step" wound up on CBS in its final days, IIRC.

Written By: Carl on 02/16/06 at 3:06 pm

Wasn't 'Dinosaurs' on in '92 as well?

Written By: gmann on 02/16/06 at 3:20 pm

Wasn't 'Dinosaurs' on in '92 as well?

Damn! There's a show I haven't thought of in eons. It debuted in in 1991 and ran thru '94. It was greeted with much fanfare, but I think it became too gimmicky for some ("*Not* the mama!") , including me. After awhile, it tried too hard to please, taking on "serious" issues like pollution, war, etc. That took all the fun out of it for me. Am I shallow for only wanting to be entertained? 

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/16/06 at 3:27 pm

Welll, "Full House" was part of the TGIF lineup until mid-1991, when it moved to Tuesdays. "Step By Step" took its place.

The 1991-92 season consisted of, for the most part:

Family Matters
Step By Step
Perfect Strangers
Baby Talk (a short-lived sitcom starring Mary Page Keller as a single mom whose son, Mickey, was "voiced" by Tony Danza)

Was this based on Full House declining in popularity?  Because I believe the 1990-'91 period was its peak.

Written By: audkal on 02/16/06 at 5:39 pm

I loved watching it when they had Boy Meets World and Step by Step in their lineup.  I also liked Sabrina the Teenage Witch at the time but think it's sooooooo dumb now.  Also, in the last couple years of TGIF they had a stupid show with the Olsen twins in it, I think it was called "Two Of A Kind", which I never watched.

Written By: kellygoo72 on 02/17/06 at 12:44 am

Wasn't "Perfect Strangers" part of the lineup at one point in the early 90s? I also remember the "Growing Pains" spinoff "Just the Ten of Us" as part of TGIF.
  I loved Pefrect Strangers and Just the 10 of us.. i hated Growing Pains.... remember Two of a Kind and wasnt Sister Sister on that TgIF?

Written By: woops on 02/17/06 at 3:51 pm

"Perfect Strangers" was the only show I could tolerate

...also only liked one episode of "Step by Step" I discovered/watched a few years ago...

Written By: Layla_May on 02/18/06 at 10:29 pm

Wasn't there kind of a movie they had on once around '98 that had Shawn from Boy Meets World travelling through all the different shows on TGIF? I distinctly recall him finding Sabrina the Teenage Witch cute...

Written By: nally on 02/19/06 at 12:04 am

Was this based on Full House declining in popularity?  Because I believe the 1990-'91 period was its peak.

Not sure if it declined in popularity or not. I don't know the reason why they moved it to Tuesdays before the start of its fifth season. I was 11 at the time, so I didn't understand these things.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/19/06 at 11:13 am

I also think its peak was '90-'91 but I think its decline started in the '92-'93 season so i'm not sure about the move either.

Written By: star500 on 02/19/06 at 12:33 pm

ABC's Friday night line-up consisted of Step by Step, Full House, Family Matters, and I think one other show.  I used to wait for Friday night because all my fave shows were on.  Kinda like when NBC had their Thursday night powerhouse in the 80s with The Cosby Show and Cheers.

Do think they should do something like this again?

I used to watch TGIF all the time as a kid. My favorite shows on it were: Full House (when it was on TGIF), Family Matters, Sabrina the Teenage Witch and Step by Step. But pretty much all the shows were pretty good to be honest, except for You Wish and Teen Angel.

Actually TGIF is still on, Sister Morphine. The shows that are on it: 8 Simple Rules for Dating My Teenage Daughter, Hope and Faith, Complete Savages and Less Then Perfect. But I've noticed and me and my mom were talking about this...it seems like all the shows that are now that are sitcoms are for adults. There isn't alot of sitcoms on that are for kids. Does anyone else notice this?

Written By: nally on 02/19/06 at 2:05 pm

I used to watch TGIF all the time as a kid. My favorite shows on it were: Full House (when it was on TGIF), Family Matters, Sabrina the Teenage Witch and Step by Step. But pretty much all the shows were pretty good to be honest, except for You Wish and Teen Angel.

Actually TGIF is still on, Sister Morphine. The shows that are on it: 8 Simple Rules for Dating My Teenage Daughter, Hope and Faith, Complete Savages and Less Then Perfect. But I've noticed and me and my mom were talking about this...it seems like all the shows that are now that are sitcoms are for adults. There isn't alot of sitcoms on that are for kids. Does anyone else notice this?

8 Simple Rules is still on?

Yeah I notice that lots of sitcoms these days have fewer kids in them. That is, on the major broadcast networks.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/19/06 at 2:30 pm

Yeah I notice that lots of sitcoms these days have fewer kids in them. That is, on the major broadcast networks.

Yeah they do seem to be geared a little more toward adults. I have seen at least one episode of all those shows and there not very good either.

Written By: nally on 02/19/06 at 2:34 pm

Yeah they do seem to be geared a little more toward adults. I have seen at least one episode of all those shows and they're not very good either.

...and could be one reason why they all have a TV-PG or TV-14 parental rating. Due to the content.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/19/06 at 4:56 pm

I also think its peak was '90-'91 but I think its decline started in the '92-'93 season so i'm not sure about the move either.

I believe it was low ratings in 1987-early '89, good in late '89-early '91, decent in late '91-early '92, and bad from late '92 to early '95.

Full House is another "1990" type show, like Fresh Prince and Saved by the Bell.  More '80s styled, but primarily clocking in the '90s.

Written By: nally on 02/19/06 at 7:53 pm

I remember watching "Sabrina The Teenage Witch" and "Boy Meets World" a few times during 1996-97. "Sabrina" later moved to the WB Friday (until it ended in the early 00s) and "Boy Meets World" ended its seven-year run in 2000.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/19/06 at 8:14 pm

I believe it was low ratings in 1987-early '89, good in late '89-early '91, decent in late '91-early '92, and bad from late '92 to early '95.

Full House is another "1990" type show, like Fresh Prince and Saved by the Bell.  More '80s styled, but primarily clocking in the '90s.

Yeah there are a couple of those late 80's-early 90's shows that have an 80's feel to them. Would you also add family matters to that list? It started in '89 and the first season has a real 80's feel to it not so sure about the later episodes though.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/20/06 at 1:40 am

Yeah there are a couple of those late 80's-early 90's shows that have an 80's feel to them. Would you also add family matters to that list? It started in '89 and the first season has a real 80's feel to it not so sure about the later episodes though.

I would add Family Matters in there, even though it went to like '97 or '98.  1991 was really the peak of Urkelmania, which is square on the '80s/'90s zeitgeist border.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 02/20/06 at 2:01 am

The TGIF line-up in the late 80's-early 90's was great. I watched it the whole 2 hours (four shows usually filled the slots). It used to be a major staple before NBC's Thursday night Must See TV became the more popular bet. It was always one of the reasons I looked forward to Friday, so I could sit and watch some of my favorite shows. Saturday was also great. I believe Who's the Boss aired on Saturdays, or maybe it eventually got moved there. "227" and the nighttime soap opera "Knots Landing" would come on.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/20/06 at 2:04 am

The TGIF line-up in the late 80's-early 90's was great. I watched it the whole 2 hours (four shows usually filled the slots). It used to be a major staple before NBC's Thursday night Must See TV became the more popular bet. It was always one of the reasons I looked forward to Friday, so I could sit and watch some of my favorite shows. Saturday was also great. I believe Who's the Boss aired on Saturdays, or maybe it eventually got moved there. "227" and the nighttime soap opera "Knots Landing" would come on.

Doesn't TGIF = Thank God It's Friday?  :)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 02/20/06 at 2:17 am

Doesn't TGIF = Thank God It's Friday?  :)

Yep!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/20/06 at 8:43 am

8 Simple Rules got cancelled, they tried to continue on without John Ritter, but the show wasn't the same.

Written By: star500 on 02/20/06 at 11:18 am

Actually, you're right it is not on... sorry about that, but I went to ABC's website and they said it still comes on at 8 on Fridays so I just asumed it was still on TV. I was a little confused actually, because I thought it got cancelled after John Ritter died.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/20/06 at 11:36 am

James Garner took over on the show, and David Spade was also there as well.

Written By: nally on 02/20/06 at 3:06 pm

Actually, you're right it is not on... sorry about that, but I went to ABC's website and they said it still comes on at 8 on Fridays so I just asumed it was still on TV. I was a little confused actually, because I thought it got cancelled after John Ritter died.

Well it did; his death was written into the show (I think), and after that it probably just wasn't the same. :-[

If the show's not on anymore, then why does ABC.com still have it listed?

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/20/06 at 3:08 pm

Well it did; his death was written into the show (I think), and after that it probably just wasn't the same. :-[

If the show's not on anymore, then why does ABC.com still have it listed?

Yea it was written into the show, I remember watching that episode. I never really watched the show much after that.

Written By: nally on 02/21/06 at 4:27 pm

Yea it was written into the show, I remember watching that episode. I never really watched the show much after that.

I never even watched it. Must've been canned shortly after that.

Check for new replies or respond here...