inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: It's 2006. Who remembers the '90s?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/16/06 at 3:25 pm

If you are under 9 today, you probably don't.  If you are under 12, you probably can't remember the "real '90s" (1991-1996).  And forget about early '90s, unless you're 16-17 or older. 

As funny as it sounds, most people who aren't teens yet probably see the '90s as remote and old!

To remember the decade perfectly well you'd have to be at least 21.

Subject: Re: It's 2006. Who remembers the '90s?

Written By: Roadgeek on 02/16/06 at 3:33 pm

I can remember 1993 and up. What a great decade. 8)

I'm 16 and I think I'm the only person in my school who remember the 90's. I have a very vivid memory of everything and I think I have at least one memory of 1992.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/16/06 at 3:36 pm

I can remember 1993 and up. What a great decade. 8)

I'm 16 and I think I'm the only person in my school who remember the 90's. I have a very vivid memory of everything and I think I have at least one memory of 1992.

They were certainly good compared to now  8)

Nobody at your school remembers them?  That can't be true.  I'm sure they do, they're just lying because they can't remember them well.  Any 1989er or 1990er can remember the late '90s like yesterday too.

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/16/06 at 3:54 pm

Well my very first memories are from 1989 or so, though they are very small. My first real memories are from 1991 which I can remember pretty well. The mid- late '90s I remember in pretty good detail.

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/16/06 at 3:55 pm

They were certainly good compared to now  8)

Nobody at your school remembers them?  That can't be true.  I'm sure they do, they're just lying because they can't remember them well.  Any 1989er or 1990er can remember the late '90s like yesterday too.

Definitely, they just probably don't talk about it but they remember.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/16/06 at 3:55 pm

Well my very first memories are from 1989 or so, though they are very small. My first real memories are from 1991 which I can remember pretty well. The mid- late '90s I remember in pretty good detail.

You must have a hella good memory to remember 1989.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/16/06 at 3:56 pm

I can remember for sure back to 1994, probably 1993 a tiny bit, possibly even late 1992, but I doubt it.

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/16/06 at 3:59 pm

I was 2 1/2 by the end of 1989 so I could remember little things. I'm talking very small memories (like waiting with my mom outside for my dad to come home from work, or riding in this one old car of ours) that occurred in 1989 because they were at our one old house which we moved out of sometime in 1989 I believe. I don't remember things before 1991 much at all though.

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/16/06 at 4:10 pm

I do have a pretty good memory though, people tell me that. I can remember getting my first bed in about 1990 or so and I remember a lot of toys I played when I was just a toddler.

Written By: Matt the Rat76 on 02/16/06 at 4:13 pm

I remember 1990's it was a great decade

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/16/06 at 4:16 pm

I was 2 1/2 by the end of 1989 so I could remember little things. I'm talking very small memories (like waiting with my mom outside for my dad to come home from work, or riding in this one old car of ours) that occurred in 1989 because they were at our one old house which we moved out of sometime in 1989 I believe. I don't remember things before 1991 much at all though.

That's how it is for me with remembering 1984 or the first half of '85. I can recall walking around a couple rooms of the house we had then, or going to preschool, or hearing a song on the radio, but it's vague and not clear enough for me to recreate it (I can do that with 1987 and up).

But, that's kinda scary that you'd probably have to be at least 15 or 16 to remember grunge, Super NES, Seinfeld, Home Improvement, or Beavis & Butthead as they were actually going on. What's even scarier, is to recall Pokemon, the debut of Britney Spears and the teenpop/boybands and other 1999 stuff (which is not that different from 2006 in the long run), you'd have to be at least 10! ;)

Pretty soon, no "kids" (as in, under 13) will be able to remember 1999!

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/16/06 at 4:21 pm

That's how it is for me with remembering 1984 or the first half of '85. I can recall walking around a couple rooms of the house we had then, or going to preschool, or hearing a song on the radio, but it's vague and not clear enough for me to recreate it (I can do that with 1987 and up).

But, that's kinda scary that you'd probably have to be at least 15 or 16 to remember grunge, Super NES, Seinfeld, Home Improvement, or Beavis & Butthead as they were actually going on. What's even scarier, is to recall Pokemon, the debut of Britney Spears and the teenpop/boybands and other 1999 stuff (which is not that different from 2006 in the long run), you'd have to be at least 10! ;)

Pretty soon, no "kids" (as in, under 13) will be able to remember 1999!

Yea I know it's scary. It's hard to believe 1999 is 7 years ago already. Man I can remember when 1999 actually seemed far away to me like in 1995. Now 1999 is getting old.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/16/06 at 4:25 pm

Yea I know it's scary. It's hard to believe 1999 is 7 years ago already. Man I can remember when 1999 actually seemed far away to me like in 1995. Now 1999 is getting old.

I remember back in the '90 sometime (can't remember exactly, but it was circa 1997), hearing for a car commercial "No interest in 2001".  That seemed like it would never come then  ;D

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/16/06 at 4:29 pm

I remember back in the '90 sometime (can't remember exactly, but it was circa 1997), hearing for a car commercial "No interest in 2001".  That seemed like it would never come then  ;D

I remember back in 1997 when I was in 5th grade signing this 8th grade "class of 2001" paper that we put on our door, it did seem quite a while in the future then.

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/16/06 at 4:38 pm

1999 was always in my subconcious because of the Prince song. There was one time I must've been 5 or so (1987-ish) talking about it with my mom, where it came up that I'd be 17 turning 18 that year. Now the time didn't seem far off, but that sure did. ;D

I guess that's why I've always been a bit humble and grounded on these sort of things (i.e. looking at the past from a "current" view). Seriously, that memory will stay with me forever. Even when I'm 90 I'll know how I felt thinking age 17 would be WAY in the future.

Once I got to about 1994 I realized time was crawling along pretty fast, so I thought: Geez, that's only five years, not so far now.

P.S. I wonder what some kid born in 2001 will think of that song in 2015. "Damn, a song about 1999 being the future from back in the '80s!? How archaic can you get!? Did they even have electricity and plumbing then?" ;)  ;D

Written By: audkal on 02/16/06 at 6:04 pm

I know, when I was 5, my oldest brother was 13, and at the time I thought he was ANCIENT.  Now that I'm 16 I think 13 year olds are little kids.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/16/06 at 6:24 pm

I remember the '90s pretty well. Don't ask me how, I just do. It's sort of like I can examine my memories well and then pick out the stuff that was '90s about it. For example-I remember going out to neighborhood stores when I was little. There were alot less big box stores then, and everything was alot grungier and more low-tech and dirty looking. Also, I remember alot of the pop culture because I listened to the radio alot. I remember the late '90s quite clearly, the mid-'90s decently, and probably snippets of the early '90s. Also, I remember some of the TV I watched with my babysitter. That and I remember and am sort of nostalgic for the time before everything was so high-tech and corporatized. We had an early '80s TV and car up through 1998 or 1999.

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/16/06 at 6:49 pm

^ Yeah, I think the interior of houses and stores looks more noticably different than a typical street, for instance. The '90s as well as the '80s was more "suburban" if you know what I mean.

I know, when I was 5, my oldest brother was 13, and at the time I thought he was ANCIENT.  Now that I'm 16 I think 13 year olds are little kids.

Yeah, when I was 5, even 9 or 10 was "advanced" to me. Even though I'll always remember how that felt, by the time I was 15, I thought a 12 year old was little.

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/16/06 at 6:55 pm

^ Yeah, I think the interior of houses and stores looks more noticably different than a typical street, for instance. The '90s as well as the '80s was more "suburban" if you know what I mean.

Yeah, when I was 5, even 9 or 10 was "advanced" to me. Even though I'll always remember how that felt, by the time I was 15, I thought a 12 year old was little.

When I was 12, I thought I was so big, lol. I had big mouth at that age. Now I think 12 year olds are like little kids.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/16/06 at 7:24 pm

Also, people just didn't have huge pieces of technology as their main design scheme then, unless they were 20-something lotharios with giant stereo equipment. We had a large TV by '80s/'90s standards that took up alot of our TV room...I wish we'd saved the damn thing, it'll probably be of historical importance by the time I'm middle-aged. It had giant wood paneling on it. You don't see wood paneling anymore. And so did our car...we only had one, an '84 tan Honda Accord, still sort of boxy, with wood-paneled interior. Now it seems like everybody has these giant LCD screen TVs that don't fit in with any design scheme except that of a spaceship.

Written By: Roadgeek on 02/16/06 at 8:31 pm

Also, people just didn't have huge pieces of technology as their main design scheme then, unless they were 20-something lotharios with giant stereo equipment. We had a large TV by '80s/'90s standards that took up alot of our TV room...I wish we'd saved the damn thing, it'll probably be of historical importance by the time I'm middle-aged. It had giant wood paneling on it. You don't see wood paneling anymore. And so did our car...we only had one, an '84 tan Honda Accord, still sort of boxy, with wood-paneled interior. Now it seems like everybody has these giant LCD screen TVs that don't fit in with any design scheme except that of a spaceship.

You're right. We still used console TV's until about 1994 and we didn't start using a computer until 1995.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 02/16/06 at 9:20 pm

I remember everything pretty much. I remember being a huge Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles fan in the early 90's, mainly '90 and '91. And a huge fan of the Home Alone movies in the early 90's. Also a huge fan of the Scream movies in the late 90's.

I started watching wrestling in 1992. I was a huge fan of wrestling in '93 and '94, and after the awful '95 year, the NWO came along in '96, and got me seriously into it again.

I actually didn't start getting really into music, and MTV, though, until 1996, I don't know why. But I stopped watching MTV in 1998, and went totally to VH1.

The OJ Trial was huge. I was really into it. I think the OJ Trial and the Monica/Clinton saga, were the biggest media events of the 90's.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/17/06 at 5:41 am

I barely remember the OJ trial, though I remember the 1996 election. I remember the Monica Lewinsky thing being massive when I was in 2nd and 3rd grade.

Written By: Andydrew on 02/17/06 at 6:01 am

I can remember from 1993/1994 and ahead, even though my first memories are quiet vivd. The first memory I had was of my mum, checking up on me, while i was in my crib or bed, i'm not sure. She was on here way to put an empty softdrink bottle in the recyceling bin, i knew that because i remember her holding an empty softdrink bottle, with a bit of softdrink at the bottom of it and that my room from when i was a baby/toddler was near the inside recycling bin. I can sometimes astonish my parent's sometimes on what I can remember from back then. I was born in 1990 so I guess that is, in a way. My older brother on the other hand can't even remember his first day of school!!! :o And hes like 18 months older than me. :o I'm 15 right now, by the way, so i guess it's still good that i can remember that far back. But i'm sure outher people my age can remember back that far as well, proberly even further.  ;D

I agree with the poeple that said the early 1990's were better than now. They really were. :\'( Good times :) ;D

Written By: Juan on 02/17/06 at 10:19 am

i was born in 1989 and i have a living memory since 1992

but in those times (of course) i have no idea about seinfeld or nirvana
only the things that surrounds me

Written By: gmann on 02/17/06 at 1:31 pm

It's interesting to get different perspectives on The Decade that Was. I'm so used to looking at things from my own age group that I sometimes forget that everybody wasn't my age back then. At the start of the 90s, I was in seventh grade and said goodbye to 'em while wrapping up my college years..

Favorite moments for me, in no particular order: The Cincinnatti Reds sweeping the dreaded Oakland A's in the 1990 World Series. Being  perhaps the last person in the world to know about the infamous "slow moving white Bronco" containing OJ Simpson (I was camping in the middle of nowhere at the time). Logging online for the first time in January 1996. Attending Lollpalooza in '97 in Cleveland and seeing Tool, The Eels, and Devo. Getting my first job in radio a few months later. Yea!

There's plenty more where that came from, but that would just be a bore, so I'll stop.  ;D

Written By: Sarah1183 on 02/17/06 at 5:32 pm

If you are under 9 today, you probably don't.  If you are under 12, you probably can't remember the "real '90s" (1991-1996).   And forget about early '90s, unless you're 16-17 or older. 

As funny as it sounds, most people who aren't teens yet probably see the '90s as remote and old!

Well, according to your definition, I do. I'm 22 going on 23.  :-*

Written By: Mephistopheles on 02/17/06 at 5:39 pm

I remember most of 1994+. I do not remember too much before then.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/17/06 at 8:40 pm

I was just thinking about some "peak '90s" memories I have from the early 1990s or up to about 1995, when the internet became big. One is going with my grandmother to a McDonald's near her house and then eating it there afterwards, others are my first day of school ever (this was fall 1992), watching Garfield and Captain Planet and my tapes of space exploration that now seem very outdated c. 1994 or 1995, going to the Disney Store at the mall, playing with our typewriter, all of our vacations (Washington D.C, Philadelphia, etc.), trying to bother my parents while they were watching Seinfeld, playing in wood equipment playgrounds and by the pond in the park near my house before they drained it, hours spent watching Clarissa Explains It All and Beetlejuice cartoons, all of my experiences in pre-K, eating at this big restaurant that soon closed and now to me seems very '80s, eating at a family restaurant with my grandparents, our vacation to the Poconoes in 1992 (I think that might be my first real memory, memories of it actually come up when we talk about it before my parents describe it), going to my first movie in 1992 (Snow White and the Seven Dwarves Revival), being scared of the Little Mermaid the first time I saw it, lots of "around the house" memories from about 1993 or so, going to a daycamp with nasty fishsticks at my temple, the first time I met my 8-year babysitter in 1993 and watching Saved by the Bell with her, and hanging around several big area malls are the ones I could come up with. I also have lots of memories of time spent in my local park when I was younger, going to the video store and McDonald's, etc. They seem pretty far off now, but when I look back at these memories, I get a "peak '90s" feel to them that's enough to say I remember the early '90s pretty well.

Written By: whistledog on 02/17/06 at 8:44 pm

I honestly don't remember too much about the 90's.  That whole grunge music phase went right over my head, and High School was such a bad time, I've almost blocked out the 90's altogether  :\'(

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/17/06 at 9:05 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: rich1981 on 02/17/06 at 9:38 pm

Born in 1981, I have a great memory of all the 90's, whereas with the 80's I can't seem to recall half as much. I remember much of the fuss over Nirvana and Green Day in the early nineties which I didn't appreciate much until recently.

Written By: deadrockstar on 02/18/06 at 12:04 am

I remember them. I can remember basically 1993 on very well, and I can remember from 1997 on like it was just yesterday. I was born in January of 1988. And I actually have memories from the late 80s believe it or not. But they are all familial-related and have nothing to do with the culture of the time. I was a toddler!  :D

I remember my older cousin scaring me with a halloween mask. I have another memory of being in park. Three or four others..I also have a good share of memories from the early 90s(1990-1992). Although my only pop culture memories from that time were going to see Batman Returns and Fieval Goes West at the theater, watching some kids shows like David The Gnome on TV, and watching the movies Hook and The Addams Family(both on video). Oh I also remember playing duckhunt with my older brother's Nintendo a lot, but that came from the 80s.

I forgot an obvious one. In 1992 when Clinton spoke at a local community college I remember going with my parents, and being held by him. I'd say thats sort of a pop culture memory. Infact if I were to meet George W. Bush and then maybe the next president perhaps I could go down to the bus station and tell someone my life story.  ::) ;D

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/18/06 at 12:16 am

I remember them. I can remember basically 1993 on very well, and I can remember from 1997 on like it was just yesterday. I was born in January of 1988. And I actually have memories from the late 80s believe it or not. But they are all familial-related and have nothing to do with the culture of the time. I was a toddler!  :D

I remember my older cousin scaring me with a halloween mask. I have another memory of being in park. Three or four others..I also have a good share of memories from the early 90s(1990-1992). Although my only pop culture memories from that time were going to see Batman Returns and Fieval Goes West at the theater, watching some kids shows like David The Gnome on TV, and watching the movies Hook and The Addams Family(both on video). Oh I also remember playing duckhunt with my older brother's Nintendo a lot, but that came from the 80s.

I forgot an obvious one. In 1992 when Clinton spoke at a local community college I remember going with my parents, and being held by him. I'd say thats sort of a pop culture memory. Infact if I were to meet George W. Bush and then maybe the next president perhaps I could go down to the bus station and tell someone my life story.  ::) ;D

That's incredible dude.  How are you sure the dates are right?

I'm January of 1990, so only 2 years younger than you.  I'm pretty sure I can remember back to 1993, possibly 1992.  But no pop-culture related memories until 1996 or so.  1998 up is pretty much like yesterday.

Written By: Trimac20 on 02/18/06 at 5:41 am

If you are under 9 today, you probably don't.  If you are under 12, you probably can't remember the "real '90s" (1991-1996).   And forget about early '90s, unless you're 16-17 or older. 

You're turning into quite the compulsive message board junkie, Donnie Darko.

Ah, how I loved the 90s...wish I could re-experience them now that I'm older.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/18/06 at 5:54 am

My first pop culture memories are from about 1993, probably, but all of kid's stuff, and I can get a "peak '90s" feel from them if I examine them. I think my first non-kid pop culture memory was my parents watching Seinfeld incessantly.

Written By: Roadgeek on 02/18/06 at 8:08 am

First pop culture memory would be late 1993. I turned the TV on and saw Rugrats for the first time. Gotta love retro Nick. ;)

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/18/06 at 12:33 pm

Born in '87 so I can remember the whole decade pretty good(1990 is a little vague but '91 up is clear) and yes it was a great one. I do feel sorry for someone born from '97 up since they wont be able to remeber the 90's. I mean i feel sorry for myself because i cant remember the 80's but for the first decade you remember to be the 2000's! Wow that would suck :(

Written By: Coastal Influence on 02/19/06 at 5:10 pm

1990 to Summer 1992   Harshest 90's Image

Fall 1992 - 1996 Grunge era. Softer 90's Image

1997-1999 this is when the 'boy bands' started coming in. Softest 90's Image

Written By: Cafe80s on 02/20/06 at 8:25 am

Man i still have vague memories of 1979. 1990 feels like it was just yesturday & i still remember the early 90s very vividly cause i was already in highchool by 91. Hell i still remember the early 80s so vividly & like it was not that long ago. 

Written By: Watcher29 on 02/20/06 at 8:36 am

I remember the 90s pretty vividly. I was 20 years old then, and in college. (Well, OK, I don't remember all of the 90s that vividly. There's a few beer-soaked nights that are drawing a complete blank).

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/20/06 at 8:41 am

1994 was the year I graduated from high school, afterwards I moved to where I'm living now.

Some  of the things I remember most are Ren and Stimpy, The Simpsons when thet first started out, M.C. Hammer and his cartoon Hammerman, Tiny Toon Adventures, Vanilla Ice, Beavis and Butthead, and other things.

Written By: rich1981 on 02/20/06 at 2:46 pm

I graduated from elementary school in 1993, from middle school in 1996 and from high school in 1999, all three events in the 90s!

Written By: nally on 02/20/06 at 2:59 pm

I graduated from elementary school in 1993, from middle school in 1996 and from high school in 1999, all three events in the 90s!

I had all of my grade-school graduations in the 90's as well:

Elementary school: 1992 (6th grade).
Middle school: 1994 (8th grade).
High school: 1998 (12th grade)!

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/20/06 at 3:54 pm

Preschool: 1995
Elementary School: 1998
Upper Elementary School: 2002
Middle School: 2004
High School: 2008

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/20/06 at 6:27 pm

Preschool: 1995
Elementary School: 1998
Upper Elementary School: 2002
Middle School: 2004
High School: 2008

Elementary School:1992
Middle School:1998
High School:2005

Written By: nally on 02/21/06 at 3:34 pm

Since when did we start discussing our years of graduation from different levels of school? ??? ???

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/21/06 at 4:06 pm

Since when did we start discussing our years of graduation from different levels of school? ??? ???

I don't know, but:

Kindergartern: 1995
Middle School: 2000 (I had two years of 6th Grade)
High School: 2004

Written By: nally on 02/21/06 at 4:21 pm

I don't know, but:

Kindergartern: 1995
Middle School: 2000 (I had two years of 6th Grade)
High School: 2004

Seriously?

You graduated from HS at age 14??

By the way, when I was in 6th grade, it was elementary school for me; the following year, I entered middle school, where there was 6th, 7th, and 8th grades. So I only spent two years in middle school!! That was in the 90's, by the way...as I mentioned in my post yesterday.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/21/06 at 4:23 pm

Seriously?

You graduated from HS at age 14??

By the way, when I was in 6th grade, it was elementary school for me; the following year, I entered middle school, where there was 6th, 7th, and 8th grades. So I only spent two years in middle school!! That was in the 90's, by the way...as I mentioned in my post yesterday.

Oh, sorry!  I will graduate 2008!  2004 was when I started :)

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/21/06 at 6:29 pm

Elementary (I did not go to kindergarten): 1993-1998
Middle School (using 6th grade as the start year): 1998-2001
High School: 2001-2005

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/21/06 at 6:36 pm

Elementary (I did not go to kindergarten): 1993-1998
Middle School (using 6th grade as the start year): 1998-2001
High School: 2001-2005

Cool so you were born in '87 too. I had to go to kindergarten in '92 I didnt really want to though.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/21/06 at 6:39 pm

I'm 23, so I remember the whole decade.

Written By: rich1981 on 02/21/06 at 6:40 pm

My younger brother was also born in 1987, but he has a fantastic memory of all the 90's, even remembering me choking on a fish bone in 1990.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/21/06 at 7:00 pm

My younger brother was also born in 1987, but he has a fantastic memory of all the 90's, even remembering me choking on a fish bone in 1990.

I have a pretty good memory going back to 1990 myself. But its all vague up to at least '92

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 02/21/06 at 7:07 pm

I don't know, but it sounds like a fun topic:  :D

Kindergarten (Preschool): 1988-1989
Primary School (Elementary): 1990-1996
Intermediate School (Middle): 1997-1998
Secondary School (High): 1999-2003
Polytech (College): 2004-Present

I remember all the 90s, although those earlier years ('90-'93) are more of a blur that the later years.

Written By: DaChazman on 02/21/06 at 8:07 pm

I can remember 1995 and up. I wasn't really the part of the 90s (Let's just say i'm...kinda young) but I can remember a lot.

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/21/06 at 8:10 pm

I can remember just about all the '90s, though the first few years are a bit blurry.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/21/06 at 8:11 pm

Well, if everyone else is doing it.............

Pre-school: 1986
Kindergarten: 1987
Elementary school: 1996 (on my 14th birthday, no less)
High School: 2000
University: 2005

Written By: DaChazman on 02/22/06 at 2:23 pm

Let's just say i'm kinda young.

Elementary School- 1997-2004
Middle School-2004-2006

Yeah i'm still in middle school. I'm so young compared to you guys.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/22/06 at 2:44 pm

Middle School-2004-2006

You're only about 2 years younger than me :)

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/23/06 at 12:40 am

Middle School-2004-2006

So you were born in like '92? That's not that young. You should be able to remember the late-90's pretty well.

Written By: Cafe80s on 02/23/06 at 7:26 am

Primary (elementary) School - 1984 to 1990
High School - 1991 to 1996

We don't have Middle School or Junior High in Australia & i didn't go to Kindergarten or Pre-school but my brother did.
We just have Kindergarten, then Primary School & then High School & over here we just call year 11 & 12 (last 2 years of High School) VCE.

Written By: Roadgeek on 02/23/06 at 9:19 am

Elementary: 1995-2001
Middle School: 2001-2005
High School: 2005-Present

Written By: MotleyCrueFan'05 on 02/23/06 at 10:04 am

Elementary School: 1991-1998
Middle School: 1998-2000 ( middle school for me was two years.)
High school: 2000-2004

Written By: YAY on 02/23/06 at 11:34 pm

IM 18    I ACTUALLY DO REMEMBER THE 90'S EXCEPT FOR "90"-"92".. BUT AFTER THAT I REMEMEMBER EVERYTHING O MY GOD I WISH I CAN JUST GO BACK IN TIME AND GO BACK AND RELIVE THE 90'S :-[ :-[ :-[

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/23/06 at 11:48 pm

Primary (elementary) School - 1984 to 1990
High School - 1991 to 1996

We don't have Middle School or Junior High in Australia & i didn't go to Kindergarten or Pre-school but my brother did.
We just have Kindergarten, then Primary School & then High School & over here we just call year 11 & 12 (last 2 years of High School) VCE.

The concept of middle school/junior high must be more prevalent in the South, because I went to school in the North, and K-8 was elementary school, 9-12 was high school.  My sister though, when we moved to Georgia, was in middle school from 5-8, and down here elementary school is K-5.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/24/06 at 1:53 am

The concept of middle school/junior high must be more prevalent in the South, because I went to school in the North, and K-8 was elementary school, 9-12 was high school.  My sister though, when we moved to Georgia, was in middle school from 5-8, and down here elementary school is K-5.

I think it is. I live in Georgia and here middle school is 6-8 elementery K-5.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 02/24/06 at 4:34 pm

Headstart-Kindergarten: 1986-1988
First Grade-Sixth Grade: 1988-1994
Jr. High: 1994-1996
High School: 1996-2000

Written By: Sarah1183 on 02/24/06 at 4:51 pm

Elementary: 1988 - 1994

Jr. High: 1994-1998

High School: 1998-2002

;)

Written By: talica on 02/25/06 at 5:40 am

i remember being in year four in 1999..and looking forward to the "millenium"
i recall watching the last ever episode of Seinfeld and how the world stopped for that.
now its so long ago..i finish school next year which really freaks me out because i remember being so young & carefree back then lol..when Britney Spears was still unknown then,when Pokemon was the hottest trend..and everyone traded pokemon cards at school then your school would ban them, Backstreet Boys were idols and so young..now there all old and already on a kind of "comeback tour" psch. i feel old and im 16.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/25/06 at 6:13 pm

i recall watching the last ever episode of Seinfeld and how the world stopped for that.
now its so long ago..i finish school next year which really freaks me out because i remember being so young & carefree back then lol..when Britney Spears was still unknown then,when Pokemon was the hottest trend..and everyone traded pokemon cards at school then your school would ban them, Backstreet Boys were idols and so young..now there all old and already on a kind of "comeback tour" psch. i feel old and im 16.

You're making me feel old and I'm also 16!  ;D

Written By: Roadgeek on 02/25/06 at 6:47 pm

You're making me feel old and I'm also 16!  ;D

I'm the same age as you and that makes me feel old too! ;D

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/25/06 at 6:53 pm

Britney spears was definitely not unknown in 1999 though, she was like one of the most popular artists of that year. Personally I never got in to Pokemon, I felt a little old for it even though I was only 12.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/25/06 at 8:11 pm

Britney spears was definitely not unknown in 1999 though, she was like one of the most popular artists of that year. Personally I never got in to Pokemon, I felt a little old for it even though I was only 12.

Yeah. Pre-Britney is more like 1998, and even that has NSYNC and Spice Girls. 

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/25/06 at 8:14 pm

Yeah. Pre-Britney is more like 1998, and even that has NSYNC and Spice Girls. 

Yea Britney came out in early 1999. She definitely was already very well known by the time the '90s ended.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/25/06 at 8:16 pm

Yea Britney came out in early 1999. She definitely was already very well known by the time the '90s ended.

Arguably, she was at her peak at Y2K.

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/25/06 at 8:20 pm

Arguably, she was at her peak at Y2K.

Yea I would agree, she was huge in 2000, after that she kind of went down. Though "Me Against the Music" and "Toxic" were pretty big in 2003/04.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/25/06 at 9:36 pm

Britney for her music peaked in 1999 and 2000, really, with "Baby One More Time" being a monster hit. I remember being in the latter half of 3rd grade at the time and it being a huge thing on the radio.

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/26/06 at 1:16 am

If it helps at all, I'm 24 and I felt the exact same way in 1997 and '98 thinking back to, like 1991 when I was just going into 4th grade and didn't have to worry about high school (though there was alot of technological and pop culture difference in that time).

BTW, I was kind of "blah" on some of that 1999-ish when it was everywhere, but I miss it now too. You know what? I think I've grown soft for everything before about 9/11.

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/26/06 at 1:20 am

If it helps at all, I'm 24 and I felt the exact same way in 1997 and '98 thinking back to, like 1991 when I was just going into 4th grade and didn't have to worry about high school (though there was alot of technological and pop culture difference in that time).

BTW, I was kind of "blah" on some of that 1999-ish when it was everywhere, but I miss it now too. You know what? I think I've grown soft for everything before about 9/11.

I was kind of that way too, in 1999 I actually made fun of a lot the pop culture, even though I liked a lot of the music, I didn't want to admit it, now I think 1999 was such a great year. (even though I don't really mind the '00s).

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/26/06 at 1:22 am

Yeah, I totally agree with that. I've even grown accepting of N*Sync and the Backstreet Boys.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/26/06 at 1:24 am

Yeah, me too :)

Even if the 2000 period was in some ways worse than now.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/26/06 at 1:26 am

Yeah, me too :)

Even if the 2000 period was in some ways worse than now.

2000 culture was pretty bad, but in retrospect it had alot more charm than culture now, even if everything looks better when viewed in retrospect.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/26/06 at 1:26 am

2000 culture was pretty bad, but in retrospect it had alot more charm than culture now, even if everything looks better when viewed in retrospect.

Everything looks perfect from far away.

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/26/06 at 1:28 am

Yeah, I totally agree with that. I've even grown accepting of N*Sync and the Backstreet Boys.

I never thought I would say this, but I almost "like" them now! ;D

In a way, I'm almost kinda mad at myself for not enjoying that time as much as I could have. In 1998 I was too busy missing 1992 when I was playing Super NES, watching retro VH1 after school and being in relatively carefree fourth grade, to really get into what was going on then.

Now I miss it.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/26/06 at 1:32 am

In a way, I'm almost kinda mad at myself for not enjoying that time as much as I could have. In 1998 I was too busy missing 1992 when I was playing Super NES, watching retro VH1 after school and being in relatively carefree fourth grade, to really get into what was going on then.

Now I miss it.

Yeah, at the time I was too busy listening to heavy metal music and reading horror novels to appreciate how fun the fin de siecle time period was. In 3rd grade I really think I liked alot of stuff like that but was ashamed to admit it. I miss things alot once they're over.

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/26/06 at 1:33 am

Now I miss it.

Late '90s music heavily influnced my music tastes, a lot of my favorite songs are from the 1997-2002 period. I even love "Oops I did it again" from 2000, it beings me back, lol.

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/26/06 at 1:38 am

Yeah, at the time I was too busy listening to heavy metal music and reading horror novels to appreciate how fun the fin de siecle time period was. In 3rd grade I really think I liked alot of stuff like that but was ashamed to admit it. I miss things alot once they're over.

I'm not sure if it's the same with you (or for that matter, anyone else who leans on nostalgia), but one reason I'm like this is because there's a certain "safety" in the past. Not only the pop culture or events, but we "know" everything that happened already. Both in our lives and the world.

So, for instance if I got time warped back to 1998 now, I'd feel safe knowing that nobody in my family would die in the next few years, and everything I'd be doing, so it feels like vacation (like I said, of course back then I'd have been saying that about 1992 or even 1994/95).

But the present is always the unknown, so as nostagic people, we're less prone to liking it.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/26/06 at 1:40 am

Though I would've liked to be a teen in the '80s, in some ways you can appreciate the music better in retrospect. Like I love both Sonic Youth and the Bangles. How could I have appreciated and loved both of them that way if I was an '80s teen, them being such different scenes?

Written By: rich1981 on 02/26/06 at 2:04 am

It seems that 9/11 was a "Berlin Wall" of sorts, dividing what used to be a more "innocent" time and what we have now with the "war on terror" what is still going on today. It seems that culture has been more pessimistic since then, which is why I agree with this.

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/26/06 at 2:09 am

Though I would've liked to be a teen in the '80s, in some ways you can appreciate the music better in retrospect. Like I love both Sonic Youth and the Bangles. How could I have appreciated and loved both of them that way if I was an '80s teen, them being such different scenes?

True. While I think genre crossing was slightly more common in the '80s than it is now (and the '90s as well), there were still certain "music cliques". The new wave crowd, headbangers, Top 40 fans, street/rap fans (more cutting edge at the time), goths, etc.

Even I can for myself, being only under 8 in the '80s let me have a more "pure" view of the music then (well, some of it I might've not heard until age 13 in 1994-95, but my tastes were already set). Also, I had a fondness for the Beatles and tons of other '60s songs, which not many 15 year olds in 1986 would've done! ;)

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/26/06 at 2:26 am

True. While I think genre crossing was slightly more common in the '80s than it is now (and the '90s as well), there were still certain "music cliques". The new wave crowd, headbangers, Top 40 fans, street/rap fans (more cutting edge at the time), goths, etc.

Even I can for myself, being only under 8 in the '80s let me have a more "pure" view of the music then (well, some of it I might've not heard until age 13 in 1994-95, but my tastes were already set). Also, I had a fondness for the Beatles and tons of other '60s songs, which not many 15 year olds in 1986 would've done! ;)

In the '80s I always got the sense there were the real punks, the new wave crowd, the headbangers (lots of these loved Kurt Cobain in the '90s), the hair metalheads, maybe some proto-emo and goth types who liked The Smiths, and the very early street/rap fans as for music cliques, and some weird subdivisions like the Madonna Girls of the mid-'80s or the guys who idolized Prince. College rock like the Pixies and Sonic Youth would not be something a 1970er or 1968er would've been aware of unless they were a local band, or something.

It's always very weird talking to people in their 30s now and them owning up to what they were in the '80s. Like that my Spanish teacher was a shameless Def Leppard fan but she also loved the Smiths, and that my director for the school play watched Purple Rain everyday after school.

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/26/06 at 2:32 am

In the '80s I always got the sense there were the real punks, the new wave crowd, the headbangers (lots of these loved Kurt Cobain in the '90s), the hair metalheads, maybe some proto-emo and goth types who liked The Smiths, and the very early street/rap fans as for music cliques, and some weird subdivisions like the Madonna Girls of the mid-'80s or the guys who idolized Prince. College rock like the Pixies and Sonic Youth would not be something a 1970er or 1968er would've been aware of unless they were a local band, or something.

Yeah, that sounds accurate.

Would you say the goth/emo style was a bit ahead of its time? I mean, a teen in 1985 who liked some of the darker new wave (i.e. The Cure) probably could dig some of the emo in 2005 if they were time warped (they may find it too whiny/in your face, but they wouldn't hate the overall feel of it).

BTW, is there a name do you think, for people into just plain pop/rock - Huey Lewis, Billy Joel, Bryan Adams, Loverboy? What about the very popular stuff in that vein that would now be considered "soft rock" - Phil Collins, Christopher Cross, Lionel Richie?

I guess all that would fall into very mainstream/Top 40 people. The preppies and such (I bet the real Marty McFly liked all that!). :D

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/26/06 at 2:33 am

Yeah, that sounds accurate.

Would you say the goth/emo style was a bit ahead of its time? I mean, a teen in 1985 who liked some of the darker new wave (i.e. The Cure) probably could dig some of the emo in 2005 if they were time warped (they may find it too whiny/in your face, but they wouldn't hate the overall feel of it).

BTW, is there a name do you think, for people into just plain pop/rock - Huey Lewis, Billy Joel, Bryan Adams, Loverboy? What about the very popular stuff in that vein that would now be considered "soft rock" - Phil Collins, Christopher Cross, Lionel Richie?

I guess all that would fall into very mainstream/Top 40 people. The preppies and such (I bet the real Marty McFly liked all that!). :D

Are you anything like the real Marty McFly?  I think I am in some ways like the real Donnie Darko (wait, I AM the real Donnie Darko.  ;D)

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/26/06 at 2:35 am

What crowd do you think I would've fallen into in the 1980s? I've always sort of wondered what I would've been like had I been born say twenty years earlier. I don't know if Top 40 fans were really a clique, they were just random non-identified people. But, seriously, knowing people's teenage musical tastes changes your perceptions of them alot.

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/26/06 at 2:43 am

Are you anything like the real Marty McFly?  I think I am in some ways like the real Donnie Darko (wait, I AM the real Donnie Darko.  ;D)

In music/cultural tastes, almost exactly alike! In personality, pretty similar (when time travel isn't taken into consideration, he was just a laid back guy who wanted to be cool and spend time with his girlfriend and Doc, and play music). I could care less if people called me a "chicken" though, and I tend to think things through more than he did sometimes.

Maybe 7 out of 10. ;)

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/26/06 at 2:48 am

I think I probably would've fallen in with the new wave/punk types more than anybody else. Though I'm sort of an intellectual nerd, so I don't know how that would've worked. Maybe I would've been a Boy George/Madonna type in the early '80s.

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/26/06 at 2:57 am

I think I probably would've fallen in with the new wave/punk types more than anybody else. Though I'm sort of an intellectual nerd, so I don't know how that would've worked. Maybe I would've been a Boy George/Madonna type in the early '80s.

It's easier to pin down music and fashion - I'd be all over the board, but more of a mainstream-er.

However personality-wise it's a little harder. On one hand, I like to think I'm pretty cool and would get along well with the jock-types (even though I'm not a tough guy or anything!), but on the other, I'm semi nerdy/geeky with interests in BTTF or just discussing things to death.

Hell, I think I'd be like a cross of Ferris Bueller with any of Anthony Michael Hall's characters. ;D

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/26/06 at 3:04 am

In music/cultural tastes, almost exactly alike! In personality, pretty similar (when time travel isn't taken into consideration, he was just a laid back guy who wanted to be cool and spend time with his girlfriend and Doc, and play music). I could care less if people called me a "chicken" though, and I tend to think things through more than he did sometimes.

Maybe 7 out of 10. ;)

Cool!  Do you look like him?

I think as far as my general personality goes, and to a very slight extent my looks I am kind of like Donnie Darko.  As for my general personality, yeah in a lot of ways I'm like him, but there are certain differences; for instance I'm nowhere near as heroic as he was (I probably would give up my life to save the world, but I'm not 100% sure I'd have the guts!).

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/27/06 at 10:08 am

It seems that 9/11 was a "Berlin Wall" of sorts, dividing what used to be a more "innocent" time and what we have now with the "war on terror" what is still going on today. It seems that culture has been more pessimistic since then, which is why I agree with this.

I agree as well. I can remember 2000 and 2001 both really well and there was a huge difference in the overall atmosphere of the two years. I dont think anyone could have imagined that we would be hit by terrorism on such a grand scale in 2000 and without an ongoing war or a reason to be afraid of the possibility of a huge terror attack happining where you live or anything along those lines the year did have a different feel to it than post 9/11 2001.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/27/06 at 12:34 pm

9/11 definitely set forth a big atmosphere change in NYC and NJ. Since then, all these nutty building projects (like Xanadu, a megamall with a ski dome in the Meadowlands that might not even have been built) have been proposed, gentrification has speeded up, everyone is snottier and hipper, and the housing market has boomed. It made NYC the most '00s place in the country, I think.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/27/06 at 2:48 pm

I agree as well. I can remember 2000 and 2001 both really well and there was a huge difference in the overall atmosphere of the two years. I dont think anyone could have imagined that we would be hit by terrorism on such a grand scale in 2000 and without an ongoing war or a reason to be afraid of the possibility of a huge terror attack happining where you live or anything along those lines the year did have a different feel to it than post 9/11 2001.

Yeah, I mean terrorism was really becoming a big issue in the '90s, but nothing could have prepared us for 9/11.  It's the Pearl Harbor of our generation :(

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/27/06 at 3:15 pm

Yeah, I mean terrorism was really becoming a big issue in the '90s, but nothing could have prepared us for 9/11.  It's the Pearl Harbor of our generation :(

Yeah, people knew terrorism was an issue, but could anybody have imagined somebody flying airplanes into the world trade center, no way.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/28/06 at 1:20 am

That's what was so scarring about it. There was no warining no reason to believe that anything like that could ever happen in this country.

Subject: Early attacks

Written By: Echo Nomad on 03/02/06 at 11:42 pm

Well I do remember their first atempt in the WTC parking garage. I also remember Oklahoma City

Check for new replies or respond here...