inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What do they really think of the '90's?

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/19/06 at 11:31 am

It just occured to me that I've never had a conversation about the 90's with a kid not old enough to remember them(born '97+) I was just wondering if you guys know what a kid of the '00's thinks about 90's t.v. shows,cartoons,toys or about the decade in general?

Subject: Re: What do they really think of the '90's?

Written By: Roadgeek on 02/19/06 at 12:52 pm

Sadly, they have no respect. :( It's up to us children of the 90's to bring the 90's to the 00's.

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/19/06 at 4:19 pm

They think the '90s are old!

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/19/06 at 4:45 pm

They think the '90s are old!

You're probably right.  Although I don't think they find them to be corny, since many aspects of the '90s are still cool and present to this very day.  They probably find them old, but not dislikeable or particulary cool either.

I can't fathom the thought of thinking the '90s are old, even though my memory of them is relatively limited.

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/19/06 at 4:47 pm

You're probably right.  Although I don't think they find them to be corny, since many aspects of the '90s are still cool and present to this very day.  They probably find them old, but not dislikeable or particulary cool either.

I can't fathom the thought of thinking the '90s are old, even though my memory of them is relatively limited.

No they don't really mind the '90s, I think many actually like them. But they view the '90s as a long time ago. 1999 is ancient history to a little kid born in 1997.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/19/06 at 4:51 pm

No they don't really mind the '90s, I think many actually like them. But they view the '90s as a long time ago. 1999 is ancient history to a little kid born in 1997.

Well, of course.  I think of 1993 as ancient history as far as my memory goes, but how similar they are to now (well, for being 13 years ago) makes them not seem even remotely "retro" to me.  Even the '80s don't seem fully before my time, because even as late as 1998 the '90s still shared certain things in common with them.  Of course, I don't claim to be able to remember them as I wasn't even born yet!

I think those born in the late '80s and early '90s kind of like the '80s too, even if they pretend they don't, because they're attracted to the pop culture that existed around the time they came into being.  But it's moreso with a 1997er, since they would be getting into pop culture in 2006, which still is similar to the '90s, esp. the late '90s.

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/19/06 at 5:59 pm

Well, as a comparison, I always LOVED 1984 and '85 (even as far back as '79). I do remember it being "a long time ago" to me in 1991, but because alot of very early '90s culture shared stuff in common with the '80s, it's not like it was that different.

So I'd imagine a 1997 or '98 kid who got into pop culture early on (say, age 5 around 2003) could feel the same way I did.

However, if they do diss it for being "old", it might be because they're slightly misinformed about it. In other words, maybe they saw some stuff on VH1's I Love The 90s, or part of a 1991 TV show, and base everything off the styles they've seen, assuming it was like that in 1998 or '99 too (which of course, it wasn't).

Truthfully, you could take a 10 year old in 2006 and place him in 1999 and it wouldn't make much of a difference. He may not know that, though. ;D

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/19/06 at 7:07 pm

It's very, very weird thinking that somebody seven years younger than me thinks of the '90s as old and the '80s as ancient. We still had an '80s car and TV and CD player up through the late '90s, and I was born just out of the '80s, so they don't seem that old to me.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/19/06 at 7:20 pm

Well, of course.   I think of 1993 as ancient history as far as my memory goes, but how similar they are to now (well, for being 13 years ago) makes them not seem even remotely "retro" to me.  Even the '80s don't seem fully before my time, because even as late as 1998 the '90s still shared certain things in common with them.  Of course, I don't claim to be able to remember them as I wasn't even born yet!

That's the same way I think of 1990 since its the first year I have any memory from. I think of some of the vague memories I have from that year or when I look at a picture from '90 it just seems old to me but I do agree that the 90's(not even 1990 IMO)are not retro just yet.

I think those born in the late '80s and early '90s kind of like the '80s too, even if they pretend they don't, because they're attracted to the pop culture that existed around the time they came into being.  But it's moreso with a 1997er, since they would be getting into pop culture in 2006, which still is similar to the '90s, esp. the late '90s.

I was born in '87 and I love the 80's and the pop culture of the time. Every time a song I know is from '87 comes on I cant help but have the thought cross my mind of the fact it came out when I was born. Its just odd to think of a '97er thinking of the pop culture of that year(which I remember very well)the same way that I do of '87.(But I'm sure there's someone born in '77 saying the same about me ;D)

Written By: Roadgeek on 02/19/06 at 7:22 pm

The friends I have at school respect my love of the 90's, but they don't really respect the 90's.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/19/06 at 7:35 pm

The friends I have at school respect my love of the 90's, but they don't really respect the 90's.

Must be too caught up in the 2000's to be nostalgic for the 90's.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/19/06 at 10:08 pm

There're a surprising number of people who come out as liking the '90s...but alot of people are just so caught up in being stylish and of the time, and the current materialistic fads, they pretend to like the '00s or just do it without thinking. Also, the '80s is far more stylish to be into right now than the '90s.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/20/06 at 12:33 am

There're a surprising number of people who come out as liking the '90s...but alot of people are just so caught up in being stylish and of the time, and the current materialistic fads, they pretend to like the '00s or just do it without thinking. Also, the '80s is far more stylish to be into right now than the '90s.

With the 20 year nostalgia rule and the '90-'10 gap maybe that means a teen in 2015 will be donning flannel and doc martens ;D

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/20/06 at 12:42 am

Well, as a comparison, I always LOVED 1984 and '85 (even as far back as '79). I do remember it being "a long time ago" to me in 1991, but because alot of very early '90s culture shared stuff in common with the '80s, it's not like it was that different.

So I'd imagine a 1997 or '98 kid who got into pop culture early on (say, age 5 around 2003) could feel the same way I did.

However, if they do diss it for being "old", it might be because they're slightly misinformed about it. In other words, maybe they saw some stuff on VH1's I Love The 90s, or part of a 1991 TV show, and base everything off the styles they've seen, assuming it was like that in 1998 or '99 too (which of course, it wasn't).

Truthfully, you could take a 10 year old in 2006 and place him in 1999 and it wouldn't make much of a difference. He may not know that, though. ;D

I wonder what it would be like if I went to a hotel in a big city, fell asleep, and woke up in 1999 (let's say the 2006 hotel room came with me).  Let's say there were no calendars nearby.  It would probably take me half and hour or so to notice!

Whereas, if I woke up in 1989 or 1990, I'd probably think the city was having some sort of '80s festival or something. 

Yeah, any one who likes the culture of today couldn't dislike the late '90s, unless it was for the fact that late '90s culture was even sillier than today's (well, at least that of 1999. 1997 and 1998 are probably equal in badness to now).  But they could dislike 1991 or even a lot of 1996.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/20/06 at 12:56 am

I wonder what it would be like if I went to a hotel in a big city, fell asleep, and woke up in 1999 (let's say the 2006 hotel room came with me).  Let's say there were no calendars nearby.  It would probably take me half and hour or so to notice!

Whereas, if I woke up in 1989 or 1990, I'd probably think the city was having some sort of '80s festival or something. 

The 2000's just dont have a look very distinctive from the late-90's as in cars,buildings,etc. Not like the 80's compared to now or even the early-mid 90's compared to now.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/20/06 at 1:00 am

The 2000's just dont have a look very distinctive from the late-90's as in cars,buildings,etc. Not like the 80's compared to now or even the early-mid 90's compared to now.

Actually, I'd say atmosphere is the main difference. 

Maybe not so much the late '90s, but the first two-thirds or three-quarters of the 1990s have a different atmosphere.  It's a bit grittier, but more cozy and less harsh.  Do you know what I'm talking about? 

For instance, the '00s makes me think of white walls and no decorations.  The '90s is a darker, but more laid-back setting.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/20/06 at 1:08 am

Modernism made a big comeback this decade. There was a comeback in the '80s and the '80s had a more airbrushed look than the '90s (up to '97, anyway), but modernism hasn't really been back in since the '60s totally. I blame Target. Modernism is good to some degree, with all the giant wall fixtures and endless light grays and vermilion oranges, but people get pretty tired of living like that after awhile, even if it's this new e-modernism stuff with more rounding that looks very hip that you see in Dwell magazine. Everything being more high-tech and futuristic has been in since The Matrix, much like this was in in the '80s. Computers were white up to about 2002, now they're all black and silver and spaceshippy looking, I never see a new white computer. In response to that post earlier, I think 2000 may very well have been just about the silliest year, maybe equaling 2001 pre 9/11. Oy.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/20/06 at 1:09 am

Maybe not so much the late '90s, but the first two-thirds or three-quarters of the 1990s have a different atmosphere.  It's a bit grittier, but more cozy and less harsh.  Do you know what I'm talking about? 

For instance, the '00s makes me think of white walls and no decorations.  The '90s is a darker, but more laid-back setting.

I do see what you mean. That is defidently due to the overall attitude of both decades. An good example of the 90's is a flannel shirt and a ripped pair of jeans. For the 00's it would be a $50 pink polo shirt. There's a huge difference.

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/20/06 at 1:09 am

The early '90s are very unique to me, you know the bright neon colors and all the funky hip-hop. It was kind of an odd time period, but it was cool. I was quite young but I can remember the atmosphere pretty well. 1992 and 1996 for example are really different from each other, but 2002 and 2006 are not really. Things have been slower to change the last 10 years or so.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/20/06 at 1:11 am

I do see what you mean. That is defidently due to the overall attitude of both decades. An good example of the 90's is a flannel shirt and a ripped pair of jeans. For the 00's it would be a $50 pink polo shirt. There's a huge difference.

I would explain it this way:

The '90s is a toned piece of silver.  Gritty and dark, but with its own beauty.
The '00s is like a polished silver coin.  Clean, harsh, spotless, and ugly.

I like the clutter of the '80s and '90s.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/20/06 at 1:14 am

I would explain it this way:

The '90s is a toned piece of silver.  Gritty and dark, but with its own beauty.
The '00s is like a polished silver coin.  Clean, harsh, spotless, and ugly.

I like the clutter of the '80s and '90s.

;D lol that's a great comparison of the two decades.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/20/06 at 1:18 am

;D lol that's a great comparison of the two decades.

Thanks.

Does anyone else agree with my observation? Is it correct?

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/20/06 at 1:25 am

Thanks.

Does anyone else agree with my observation? Is it correct?

Yea it sounds about right. lol

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/20/06 at 1:28 am

Yeah, I think that's a pretty damn good analogy. Here's mine for the '80s. The '80s is a big bar of gold. Fun-loving, wealthy, and malleable, but with a chintzy beauty and hollow inside, and showing dirt easily unless you keep refinishing it.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 02/20/06 at 2:05 am

With the 20 year nostalgia rule and the '90-'10 gap maybe that means a teen in 2015 will be donning flannel and doc martens ;D

One thing about the 90's that I can do without is the fashion sense - PLEASE don't let them catch onto those nasty lookin' flannel duds and grunge look, lol

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/20/06 at 2:07 am

One thing about the 90's that I can do without is the fashion sense - PLEASE don't let them catch onto those nasty lookin' flannel duds and grunge look, lol

;D

And the piercings and tatoos, even if those are arguably more '00s.

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/20/06 at 2:17 am

;D

And the piercings and tatoos, even if those are arguably more '00s.

Tattoos have always sort of "been around" for motorcyclists and such, but it didn't become commonplace for everyone until maybe 1994-ish.

As far as piercings go -- I just realized that's the one contradiction to the general rule of everyone dressing "man-ish" today. That's traditonally been something girls/women did, but these days more guys have earrings and such. Also, tongue piercings look kinda cool on some girls, but on guys it just doesn't work. Stuff like that has never appealed to me.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/20/06 at 2:39 am

Tattoos have always sort of "been around" for motorcyclists and such, but it didn't become commonplace for everyone until maybe 1994-ish.

As far as piercings go -- I just realized that's the one contradiction to the general rule of everyone dressing "man-ish" today. That's traditonally been something girls/women did, but these days more guys have earrings and such. Also, tongue piercings look kinda cool on some girls, but on guys it just doesn't work. Stuff like that has never appealed to me.

Do you think the late '80s hairbands helped popularize tatoos?

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/20/06 at 2:41 am

I think piercings were a very '90s thing. I remember in the late '90s, particularly around like 1997 or 1998 or so, chin piercings, eyebrow piercings, and really grody tongue piercings were big and seemed to be on every other young person. But yeah, I liked flannel...it was comfy and unpretentious. I do think flannel and a grungier sense overall will be back in the '10s.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/20/06 at 6:45 pm

Isint flannel the perfect example of how the mainstream media tries to latch on to watever they can to make a dime off something? I mean those seattle guys only wore flannel because of its cheap price and the cold climate in that area not to make a fashion statment but then when grunge took off everyone just read too much into it and made a trend out of it.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/21/06 at 12:31 am

Isint flannel the perfect example of how the mainstream media tries to latch on to watever they can to make a dime off something? I mean those seattle guys only wore flannel because of its cheap price and the cold climate in that area not to make a fashion statment but then when grunge took off everyone just read too much into it and made a trend out of it.

Without a freaking doubt.  Grunge isn't even a real genre, it's just a type of punk that's a product of the Pacific Northwest.

I mean, for crying out loud, this is late '80s/early '90s Washington state!  ;D

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/21/06 at 12:46 am

Without a freaking doubt.  Grunge isn't even a real genre, it's just a type of punk that's a product of the Pacific Northwest.

I mean, for crying out loud, this is late '80s/early '90s Washington state!  ;D

Yeah they basically took a bunch of different artists from one area that dressed alike and sounded only somewhat similar and created grunge.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/21/06 at 12:47 am

Yeah they basically took a bunch of different artists from one area that dressed alike and sounded only somewhat similar and created grunge.

Then Creed ripped them off  >:(

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/21/06 at 12:54 am

;D lol so did Bush

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/21/06 at 12:55 am

Creed and Nickelback are part of the reason grunge was basically dead by the late '90s, it had gone so far mainstream that people were searching for something new to like by then, unless they were still listening to older grunge or something. Now, I'm wondering when that will happen with reprehensible emo and current indie rock (the great majority of it, anyway.) I just hope mindless hipsters die...I'm sorry, I hate it when my friends pick up hipster tendencies from being around too damn many of them and being too damn sheltered and ensconsed in how witty and aesthetically pleasing, and yet ultimately empty and vile, the hipster universe is. I think they all need to be run out of Williamsburg, Brooklyn on sticks after being tarred and feathered and be moved in a giant internment camp to upstate New York where they can create their own village of self-loathing and not bother anybody else. But they'd probably then all stop being hipsters, because then they wouldn't have to prove that they're smarter than everybody else. I bet you they're all going to leave Williamsburg because it's "so over" and then promptly fall into the East River along with their trust funds about the time the economy collapses in the late '00s. Then maybe they'll watch The Royal Tenenbaums. Or the Urban Outfitters will get bombed. Feh. Because whoever hipsters are pretending to be, they're the same people, that's the problem.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 02/21/06 at 1:07 am

Creed and Nickelback are part of the reason grunge was basically dead by the late '90s, it had gone so far mainstream that people were searching for something new to like by then, unless they were still listening to older grunge or something. Now, I'm wondering when that will happen with reprehensible emo and current indie rock (the great majority of it, anyway.) I just hope mindless hipsters die...I'm sorry, I hate it when my friends pick up hipster tendencies from being around too damn many of them and being too damn sheltered and ensconsed in how witty and aesthetically pleasing, and yet ultimately empty and vile, the hipster universe is. I think they all need to be run out of Williamsburg, Brooklyn on sticks after being tarred and feathered and be moved in a giant internment camp to upstate New York where they can create their own village of self-loathing and not bother anybody else. But they'd probably then all stop being hipsters, because then they wouldn't have to prove that they're smarter than everybody else. I bet you they're all going to leave Williamsburg because it's "so over" and then promptly fall into the East River along with their trust funds about the time the economy collapses in the late '00s. Then maybe they'll watch The Royal Tenenbaums. Or the Urban Outfitters will get bombed. Feh. Because whoever hipsters are pretending to be, they're the same people, that's the problem.

The thing with grunge is that it has become so imbedded into today's youth, that they may take it a step further. But, if they're smart, like you - they may take music in on a more macroscopic scale and appreciate ALL levels of it and create a new genre, as God knows we need a new one.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/21/06 at 1:11 am

Yeah, indie rock now is just wholesale imitation of previous genres or crap. Thanks for the compliment  :)!

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/21/06 at 1:19 am

The thing with grunge is that it has become so imbedded into today's youth, that they may take it a step further. But, if they're smart, like you - they may take music in on a more macroscopic scale and appreciate ALL levels of it and create a new genre, as God knows we need a new one.

Yeah rock music really needs to reinvent itself. It's been stuck in neutral for nearly 15 years :D

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 02/21/06 at 1:23 am

^^ & ^ - Right on, both of you!  ;D

Now, if I had the time to create my own music, I'd surely do it - but once I'm out of college, just wait, JUST WAIT you wanna be hipsters, lol.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/21/06 at 1:28 am

^^ & ^ - Right on, both of you!  ;D

Now, if I had the time to create my own music, I'd surely do it - but once I'm out of college, just wait, JUST WAIT you wanna be hipsters, lol.

;D

Are you interested in making music?  One tag my band goes by is "The Music of the 2010s".  Because hopefully (but doubtfully), we will be!  ;D

I strive to be an early 21st Century Beatles.

I'm tired of the Grunge sound.  Nobody cares about Grunge anymore, but the stations keep playing it.  Then again, that Nickelback song was pretty popular  :-\\

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/21/06 at 1:30 am

Nickelback is ok, but Creed is pretty poor imo. All of Creed's songs sound exactly the same. They're a sad excuse for a band.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/21/06 at 1:33 am

Nickelback is ok, but Creed is pretty poor imo. All of Creed's songs sound exactly the same. They're a sad excuse for a band.

Yeah.  I really liked "How You Remind Me".  :)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 02/21/06 at 1:34 am

Nickelback is like the 2000's version of 1970's Boston *that group that liked starships and stuff* All their songs sound the same just about.

And Donnie, if you could be the 21st Century Beatles, I would worship you - literally - hold on to that dream because the music world needs it SO bad!

P.S. How You Remind Me was Nickelback's best song.. next to the Spiderman theme song, which was fairly decent.

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/21/06 at 1:35 am

Yeah.  I really liked "How You Remind Me".  :)

Yea definitely their best song. I liked Someday as well. Photograph is alright, but not as good as the others.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/21/06 at 1:37 am

Nickelback is like the 2000's version of 1970's Boston *that group that liked starships and stuff* All their songs sound the same just about.

And Donnie, if you could be the 21st Century Beatles, I would worship you - literally - hold on to that dream because the music world needs it SO bad!

P.S. How You Remind Me was Nickelback's best song.. next to the Spiderman theme song, which was fairly decent.

I think eventually there won't be a mainstream any more.  People will just like what they want.  Sure, trends will emerge, but in general music will be more personal.
Today (and really since about 1995), we're halfway there.  There's a mega-music culture (hip-hop/urban) and then there's tons of lesser cultures which overall add up to maybe a little more than the value of the hip hop culture.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/21/06 at 11:27 am

I think eventually there won't be a mainstream any more.  People will just like what they want.  Sure, trends will emerge, but in general music will be more personal.
Today (and really since about 1995), we're halfway there.  There's a mega-music culture (hip-hop/urban) and then there's tons of lesser cultures which overall add up to maybe a little more than the value of the hip hop culture.

I agree because I think the internet will play a huge role in it. Before you had to buy mainstream artists because thats what record stores sold. Now if the underground is more your cup of tea you can download even the most obscure artist's songs.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/21/06 at 2:57 pm

I agree because I think the internet will play a huge role in it. Before you had to buy mainstream artists because thats what record stores sold. Now if the underground is more your cup of tea you can download even the most obscure artist's songs.

Like mine?  ;D

www.soundclick.com/posseoftwo

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/21/06 at 6:28 pm

Like mine?  ;D

www.soundclick.com/posseoftwo

Didnt know you had you own band donnie

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/21/06 at 8:02 pm

Didnt know you had you own band donnie

Yup.  It's almost a solo act, just me and my homie. 
We've recorded an album and released it over the Internet.  We'll probably get like 10 downloads  ;D

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/21/06 at 10:37 pm

Yup.  It's almost a solo act, just me and my homie. 
We've recorded an album and released it over the Internet.  We'll probably get like 10 downloads  ;D

I might have to check it out since I'm a big fan of underground stuff like that.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/21/06 at 11:05 pm

I might have to check it out since I'm a big fan of underground stuff like that.

Written By: DaChazman on 02/22/06 at 2:30 pm

I'd rather see someone wearing a flannel shirt and jeans than seeing a girl with the word "Juicy" spraypainted on her ass.

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/22/06 at 2:38 pm

I'd rather see someone wearing a flannel shirt and jeans than seeing a girl with the word "Juicy" spraypainted on her ass.

That does look dumb, lol.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/22/06 at 6:38 pm

That trend was moronic...when I was in say, 7th grade (2002-2003), that was all over the place, girls in shorts and sweatpants with obscene words in hip-hop style lettering slapped on their ass. They then got banned from school promptly. Also, those salmon velour tracksuits with words on the ass and matching bag...yukk. And trucker hats and messenger bags. '90s fashion was at least unpretentious, there was nothing really wrong with it. Same goes for pop music-it was charming and catchy in its way, sometimes in a "driving you insane" way, but at least if it was insubstantial, it was good insubstantial.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/23/06 at 5:44 pm

That trend was moronic...when I was in say, 7th grade (2002-2003), that was all over the place, girls in shorts and sweatpants with obscene words in hip-hop style lettering slapped on their ass. They then got banned from school promptly. Also, those salmon velour tracksuits with words on the ass and matching bag...yukk. And trucker hats and messenger bags. '90s fashion was at least unpretentious, there was nothing really wrong with it. Same goes for pop music-it was charming and catchy in its way, sometimes in a "driving you insane" way, but at least if it was insubstantial, it was good insubstantial.

Part of the charm of 90's fashion was it's low-maintenence. In that time anyone that had $20 bucks in there pocket could be on the cutting edge of fashion(even me, I wear flannel sometimes but not for the fashion statement just cause it's cheap ;D)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/23/06 at 5:48 pm

See, I went to an all-girls Catholic high school, so I didn't have problems as far as competing fashions were concerned.  We had a white polo shirt, plaid skirt, white socks and shoes.......dassit.

In fact, I wore uniforms from 5th grade (roughly '92) through to my senior year of high school, so 90s fashions for me were confined to what I wore at home and out with my friends after school and on the weekends.  Even then I wasn't caught up in all the fads; I just wore whatever was in my closet and whatever fit comfortably.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/23/06 at 6:20 pm

Part of the charm of 90's fashion was it's low-maintenence. In that time anyone that had $20 bucks in there pocket could be on the cutting edge of fashion(even me, I wear flannel sometimes but not for the fashion statement just cause it's cheap ;D)

Today is definitely more fashion-based, but people who aren't up on today's fashion wear 1980s and 1990s-type stuff.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/23/06 at 6:23 pm

Today is definitely more fashion-based, but people who aren't up on today's fashion wear 1980s and 1990s-type stuff.

Yeah I've never kept up with fashion at all(but I really dont have enough money to keep up with today's fashion even if I wanted too.)

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/23/06 at 6:27 pm

Yeah, the '00s is very vacuous and all about being on the cutting edge of this and that and fashion and high-tech gadgets and being the most "fabulous person around." The '90s were much more laid back, I like that.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/23/06 at 6:31 pm

Yeah, the '00s is very vacuous and all about being on the cutting edge of this and that and fashion and high-tech gadgets and being the most "fabulous person around." The '90s were much more laid back, I like that.

Since I'm sort of a tech-nut I really dont mind this decade form a technological stand point but I honestly could care less about fashion(my whole outfit that I'm wearing right now probably cost about as much as one person's shirt these days :o)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/23/06 at 6:41 pm

Yeah I've never kept up with fashion at all(but I really dont have enough money to keep up with today's fashion even if I wanted too.)

I don't think many care about fashion anymore, and if they do many of the trends have been around for 11+ years.  Getting a piercing was daring and cool in the mid '90s, still is today.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/23/06 at 6:55 pm

I only briefly cared about fashion I think in 8th grade. Piercings were definitely seen as a way cooler thing in the mid-late '90s, now it's too "grungy" and "trashy." The kids who do it are definitely seen as unapproachable and weird, while if you look through a '90s yearbook like everybody had one.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/23/06 at 11:09 pm

I only briefly cared about fashion I think in 8th grade. Piercings were definitely seen as a way cooler thing in the mid-late '90s, now it's too "grungy" and "trashy." The kids who do it are definitely seen as unapproachable and weird, while if you look through a '90s yearbook like everybody had one.

That's true.  Today, it's more a "weird person" sort of thing :)

Written By: YAY on 02/23/06 at 11:44 pm

IM A 90'S FAN SO I DO LIKE THE 90'S PRETTY MUCH ;D ;D.....MAN THE 90'S WERE AWESOME ....... THE 90'S I GUESS  WAS A PEACEFUL AND CALM DECADE (COMPARED TO NOW) BUT ITS JUST ME PROBABLY CUZ WE ALL GROWN UP AND CHANGED WE SEE THINGS DIFFERENT ;)

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/23/06 at 11:55 pm

IM A 90'S FAN SO I DO LIKE THE 90'S PRETTY MUCH ;D ;D.....MAN THE 90'S WERE AWESOME ....... THE 90'S I GUESS  WAS A PEACEFUL AND CALM DECADE (COMPARED TO NOW) BUT ITS JUST ME PROBABLY CUZ WE ALL GROWN UP AND CHANGED WE SEE THINGS DIFFERENT ;)

Yeah, getting older s*cks in its own way, because that's when you really appreciate what you've left behind.

I've said this before, but I think while most people act younger now than someone of the same age did in the past, they also get more nostalgic for what they grew up with quicker, just because they had so much of it. So we're culturally older.

I mean, in 1994 I was still a kid and liked much of the current pop culture, but it wasn't uncommon even then, for me to think, Oh man, where did I put that tape with VH1 stuff on it from 1990? or I've played this game for five years, or I miss the house we lived in back in 1986, etc.

Of course, now I feel the same about whatever I did or remember from 1994, and even as recently as 2003.

But a 15 year old in the 1950's for instance, wouldn't have had all that "history", so it took them longer to miss it.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/24/06 at 12:06 am

Yeah, getting older s*cks in its own way, because that's when you really appreciate what you've left behind.

I've said this before, but I think while most people act younger now than someone of the same age did in the past, they also get more nostalgic for what they grew up with quicker, just because they had so much of it. So we're culturally older.

I mean, in 1994 I was still a kid and liked much of the current pop culture, but it wasn't uncommon even then, for me to think, Oh man, where did I put that tape with VH1 stuff on it from 1990? or I've played this game for five years, or I miss the house we lived in back in 1986, etc.

Of course, now I feel the same about whatever I did or remember from 1994, and even as recently as 2003.

But a 15 year old in the 1950's for instance, wouldn't have had all that "history", so it took them longer to miss it.

I agree. Culturally, we're more dated, but we still act "cooler" than pre-Boomer people do.  For instance, hair metal is super-dated, but your 1970-born Bon Jovi fan is probably way more hip than your 1940-born Elvis fan.

Do you feel that 2006 is the beginning of the '90s slowly becoming old?  Because now, I'm beginning to feel proud of being able to remember them fairly well and they're almost history to a 10-year-old now.

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/24/06 at 12:10 am

^ Yeah, I see what you mean. The '90s are maybe not "old" but with somewhat less relevance. :(

I think you could play a typical '90s song or a movie for a 10 year old "hipster" kid and he probably would dig it. Until you told him when it was from. In other words, stuff from then it still prevalent/somewhat cool, but the time itself is not, does that make sense?

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/24/06 at 12:13 am

Yeah, I think 2006 is the start of the '90s becoming old...the same way '96 was the start of the '80s getting old and dated. Most '80s TV, fashion, and music wasn't popular anymore by then and hadn't been for several years, but in the early '00s there was still alot of the '90s left in TV, fashion, and music. Friends and Will and Grace have been canceled or are getting that way, and the last of the teen pop stars aren't popular anymore except as tabloid fodder. The '90s are definitely starting to sound old, and the time itself is pretty uncool, as Marty McFly said. But I don't think 10 year olds are really hipsters...I think they'll be more the group of people, born in the mid-90s, who'll start to seriously differ from that and be a precursor in alot of ways to Gen Z or the very early part of Gen Z.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/24/06 at 12:15 am

^ Yeah, I see what you mean. The '90s are maybe not "old" but with somewhat less relevance. :(

I think you could play a typical '90s song or a movie for a 10 year old "hipster" kid and he probably would dig it. Until you told him when it was from. In other words, stuff from then it still prevalent/somewhat cool, but the time itself is not, does that make sense?

I totally agree.

As odd as it sounds, I do see a bit of '90s backlash among 1992ers and younger.   They don't dislike it for itself, but actually because it's 1990s.

Just like how people swear upon hating the '80s, but the latest Depeche Mode cover flys to the top of the charts.

Written By: 90'S KID on 02/24/06 at 12:42 am

wow its pretty scary......  the 90's are the new 80's  .......NOOOOOOO  :\'( :\'( :\'(

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/24/06 at 12:58 am

I totally agree.

As odd as it sounds, I do see a bit of '90s backlash among 1992ers and younger.   They don't dislike it for itself, but actually because it's 1990s.

Just like how people swear upon hating the '80s, but the latest Depeche Mode cover flys to the top of the charts.

To the contrary, with '92ers and younger where I live, I think people are alot more comfortable with liking the '90s and grunge and all that stuff. You see more Nirvana Ts among them than the late '80s to about '91 kids currently in high school.

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/24/06 at 1:04 am

To the contrary, with '92ers and younger where I live, I think people are alot more comfortable with liking the '90s and grunge and all that stuff. You see more Nirvana Ts among them than the late '80s to about '91 kids currently in high school.

You know, I think the same could be said for the grunge generation.

While I've always said my age is very "on the cusp" with being into the '80s, I think there were more 1981/82 people like me who dug that stuff than those born around 1978. Reason being, in 1992 we were still kids, so we didn't really have to "conform" or dump our '80s stuff we liked.

Being 14 in 1992 versus 10 makes a big difference.

The late '70s people (at least back then) seemed the biggest "grunge/anti 80s kids", just like a 1985-er is more of a boy band/1999 culture fan than someone born in '90.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/24/06 at 1:07 am

Yeah, I think the early-mid '80s gen is now leading the vanguard of '80s nostalgia. The mid-late '70s people were pretty anti-'80s.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/24/06 at 1:34 am

You know, I think the same could be said for the grunge generation.

While I've always said my age is very "on the cusp" with being into the '80s, I think there were more 1981/82 people like me who dug that stuff than those born around 1978. Reason being, in 1992 we were still kids, so we didn't really have to "conform" or dump our '80s stuff we liked.

Being 14 in 1992 versus 10 makes a big difference.

The late '70s people (at least back then) seemed the biggest "grunge/anti 80s kids", just like a 1985-er is more of a boy band/1999 culture fan than someone born in '90.

I also think people born in the late '80s and early '90s (like, say 1986-1993) like the '80s more than early '80s kids, because they can't remember the bad things about them, yet are still pretty close to them in the long run in the sense that they probably played Mario in the mid '90s and would have been aware of the rise of the Internet, rather than take it as a fact of life like a 1995er or later would.

For instance, being a 1990er I can remember the worse stuff about the '90s that would be sugarcoated to a 1993er, like gory television shows for instance.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/24/06 at 1:51 am

I also think people born in the late '80s and early '90s (like, say 1986-1993) like the '80s more than early '80s kids, because they can't remember the bad things about them, yet are still pretty close to them in the long run in the sense that they probably played Mario in the mid '90s and would have been aware of the rise of the Internet, rather than take it as a fact of life like a 1995er or later would.

For instance, being a 1990er I can remember the worse stuff about the '90s that would be sugarcoated to a 1993er, like gory television shows for instance.

I first played Mario in '93 and didnt get the internet until a few years ago so that's pretty accurate. Someone born after '95 would defidently take the internet for granted likewise when I was there age I was just using the internet for the first time.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/24/06 at 1:53 am

I first played Mario in '93 and didnt get the internet until a few years ago so that's pretty accurate. Someone born after '95 would defidently take the internet for granted likewise when I was there age I was just using the internet for the first time.

I first used a computer in 1993 or 1994, before the youngest Yers were even born.  ;D

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/24/06 at 1:54 am

I first used a computer in 1993 or 1994, before the youngest Yers were even born.  ;D

That's when I first used a computer in 1st grade in 1993, and I wanted one right away and got it for Christmas.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/24/06 at 1:55 am

That's when I first used a computer in 1st grade in 1993, and I wanted one right away and got it for Christmas.

For the first time in my life I feel old  ;D

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/24/06 at 1:57 am

I first used at computer in school in '92 I cant remember if I wanted one or not but eithier way I didnt get one ;)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/24/06 at 1:58 am

I first used at computer in school in '92 I cant remember if I wanted one or not but eithier way I didnt get one ;)

Was it one of those '80s Apples? I remember even into the early '00s a lot of schools had those green screens. Even c. 1996 I thought them ancient  ;D

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/24/06 at 1:59 am

Was it one of those '80s Apples? I remember even into the early '00s a lot of schools had those green screens. Even c. 1996 I thought them ancient  ;D

Yeah I believe it was. We had those in school's around here until the late-90's

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/24/06 at 2:01 am

Yeah I believe it was. We had those in school's around here until the late-90's

Yeah.  Even in 1990 they were probably seen as pieces of junk.

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/24/06 at 2:01 am

For me it was an Apple IIgs. They had two macintosh lc's which were like the "nice" computers they would sometimes show us stuff on. I also remember the image writer dot matrix printers.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/24/06 at 2:02 am

For the first time in my life I feel old  ;D

It sort of makes me feel old to think that kids born this year will be 19 years younger than me. Next year it'll be 20 :o

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/24/06 at 2:05 am

It sort of makes me feel old to think that kids born this year will be 19 years younger than me. Next year it'll be 20 :o

That is weird.  It makes me feel old to realize that a 10 year old probably can't remember the new millenium, or only barely can.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/24/06 at 2:07 am

Ha, even when I was a junior in H.S. , our Physics lab used an old Apple to print off stuff.  Hee-lair-e-us.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/24/06 at 2:07 am

Ha, even when I was a junior in H.S. , our Physics lab used an old Apple to print off stuff.  Hee-lair-e-us.

;D

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/24/06 at 2:08 am

That is weird.  It makes me feel old to realize that a 10 year old probably can't remember the new millenium, or only barely can.

It makes me feel old thinking that in 10 years, I'm almost 30. I'm still young of course, but time goes fast and it seems like you go from young to older very fast.

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/24/06 at 2:09 am

Yea my one school still had them in 1997, the old IIgs things, they were very primitive even then.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/24/06 at 10:24 am

We had old Apples in Pre-K and Kindergarten that we used to play these very primitive games, and I think we got like a Gateway '94 or '95 when I was in kindergarten and had those through 2nd or 3rd grade.

Written By: 90's kid on 02/24/06 at 12:24 pm

hey i just wanted to show u a  site where theres retro commercials from the 90's 80's and even 70's  just when you have time go to  http://www.retrojunk.com/    ;)

Written By: gmann on 02/24/06 at 12:37 pm

We had old Apples in Pre-K and Kindergarten that we used to play these very primitive games, and I think we got like a Gateway '94 or '95 when I was in kindergarten and had those through 2nd or 3rd grade.

I was using those Apple IIe's in middle school, circa 1988. I'm suprised they hung around as long as they did. They weren't top of the line computers when they were new, but they were okay for teaching purposes.  :) I remember coming up with a BASIC program that would put your name or a phrase into an endless loop...all in glorious monochrome! 

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/24/06 at 6:21 pm

It makes me feel old thinking that in 10 years, I'm almost 30. I'm still young of course, but time goes fast and it seems like you go from young to older very fast.

Yeah, I know!  It's weird I'll be 30 in 2020.  I'll be a "older guy" for the bulk of the 21st Century; I really consider myself a transitional 20th/21st person.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/24/06 at 6:32 pm

Yeah, it's scary that I'll be 30 by 2020...I need to die by 2070, before robots take over the world and eat our flesh.

Written By: YAY on 02/24/06 at 6:59 pm

wow you guys are rushing  way too fast to the future  lmao  robots eating our flesh ( I HOPE THAT NEVER HAPPENS) :-X

Written By: d90 on 05/21/16 at 3:04 pm

wow you guys are rushing  way too fast to the future  lmao  robots eating our flesh ( I HOPE THAT NEVER HAPPENS) :-X

Me too.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/21/16 at 8:27 pm

Yet another prediction about the 2010's that I got wrong. ;D

It's weird that, when I posted this in 2006, '97ers were still just little kids, but now they're grown adults off in college. :o

Written By: 2001 on 05/21/16 at 8:40 pm

Yet another prediction about the 2010's that I got wrong. ;D

It's weird that, when I posted this in 2006, '97ers were still just little kids, but now they're grown adults off in college. :o

Well, you were wrong about the how but you were right about the what ;D A lot of fashion today is 90s revivalist.

Written By: aja675 on 05/24/16 at 10:55 pm

This reminds me of this incident from 2009 where I sang Oops!... I Did It Again and someone born in 1994 made fun of me for it. He said in a snotty gay-boy-trying-to-sound-like-a-Valley-girl accent that the song I was singing was "sooo retro." (I know that 2000 isn't really the '90s anymore, but it was of course part of the cultural late '90s, and it's pretty weird that a song that wasn't 10 years old yet would be called retro.)

Check for new replies or respond here...