inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The base on old 2 liter soda bottles

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/19/06 at 5:08 pm

Remember when 2 liter bottles used to have a base on the bottom? They stopped putting these bases on the bottles like in the late '90s. Ginger ale bottles for example had a solid green base on the bottom of the bottle.

Subject: Re: The base on old 2 liter soda bottles

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/19/06 at 5:10 pm

Remember when 2 liter bottles used to have a base on the bottom? They stopped putting these bases on the bottles like in the late '90s. Ginger ale bottles for example had a solid green base on the bottom of the bottle.

I do remember that, although I can't remember what for.  The bottles without the bases seemed to stand up on their own just fine.

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/19/06 at 5:11 pm

I do remember that, although I can't remember what for.  The bottles without the bases seemed to stand up on their own just fine.

Yea I don't know why they were there either. Maybe they got rid of them because they found out that the base wasn't necessary and a waste of money.

Written By: kellygoo72 on 02/19/06 at 5:36 pm

Its AMAZING the stuff people remember... LOL.. I do remember them and until I just read this post,I never noticed that they stopped using them... LOL.. Im Serious!!!  I drink Snapple!

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/19/06 at 5:37 pm

Its AMAZING the stuff people remember... LOL.. I do remember them and until I just read this post,I never noticed that they stopped using them... LOL.. Im Serious!!!  I drink Snapple!

I know I remember the oddest things sometimes. lol.

Written By: kellygoo72 on 02/19/06 at 5:42 pm

I know I remember the oddest things sometimes. lol.
  Yes, my friend , you sure do... LOL.. Its cool though, makes u think... Thinking is good < I think?>LOL

Written By: Cafe80s on 02/20/06 at 6:39 am

Coincidentily i was talking to a friend about this the other day & he was like "oh wow yeah i totally forgot about that". In Australia they started discarding the black bases on 2 litre bottles around 1989 to 1991. They always used to fall off anway & lots were missing from the bottles already even on the supermarket shelf & sometimes you'd see a few of the bases alone on the supermarket self. Also when mass producing the bottles in massive quantities obviously it meant huge abouts of extra plastic & in turn lots of extra money. I just remember when they stop using the bases i thought the bottles looked very bear & it looked really unusual to me. I think we also had the bases on 1.25 litre bottles in Australia if i remember correctly & that's probably why it looked so weird to me when they stopped using them.

Written By: Trimac20 on 02/20/06 at 8:39 am

I'm not old to remember, but it doesn't seem to make sense at all to me. Kind of like giving a perfectly able man a wheelchair ::)

Written By: karen on 02/20/06 at 11:19 am

but now you can't make cottonwool ball holders out of a 2 litre drinks bottle.

Check for new replies or respond here...