inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Tori

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/22/06 at 8:13 pm

Who else here is a serious, long-term, dedicated Tori fanatic or at least an admirer? Say what you love about her, and your opinions on her current career.

Subject: Re: Tori

Written By: whistledog on 02/22/06 at 8:31 pm

Which Tori ... Amos or Spelling?

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 02/22/06 at 8:35 pm

Can't say I've listened to her for a long time, but I think she has some awesome lyrics.

Written By: Trimac20 on 02/23/06 at 6:00 am

Yeah, I sort of like some of her stuff. Never really got into that sort of vibe though, if you know what I mean.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/23/06 at 11:27 am

You have to hear her live to really get her, I think. She's far past her peak now, her last really great album was "From the Choirgirl Hotel" or even "Boys for Pele", now the production on her albums makes her sound like A/C. She's one of those artists who's uncategorizable...in my mind, uncategorizability is something that makes a musician great.

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 02/23/06 at 12:52 pm

You have to hear her live to really get her, I think. She's far past her peak now, her last really great album was "From the Choirgirl Hotel" or even "Boys for Pele", now the production on her albums makes her sound like A/C. She's one of those artists who's uncategorizable...in my mind, uncategorizability is something that makes a musician great.

I did enjoy "Sleeps With Butterflies" from her recent album. I don't know anything else from it, though.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/23/06 at 6:25 pm

The new album is pretty bad, I've never even listened to it all the way through. Start with Little Earthquakes or the second disc of To Venus and Back, the live stuff. Or download some live songs from Limewire or www.hereinmyhead.com.

Written By: Ebontyne on 03/13/06 at 7:07 pm

I used to be a huge Tori Amos fan in high school, starting in 1999 (I remember that To Venus and Back had just come out). I've sort of loved and lost with Tori over the last seven years though. Her last three albums -- the first two of which I had heavily anticipated during the pre-release phase -- were major let-downs for me.

More importantly, I changed as a person. In high school I was working through a lot of difficult adolescent issues, and was coming to terms -- in sometimes painful ways -- with my own identity; Tori's music was really important in that formative process. But by the time I got to university, not only was I disappointed by her more recent output, but I had begun to not want to take myself -- or her, for that matter -- so seriously anymore. I realized I really needed to just lighten up a little. I wanted fun, in the worst way. So I got into Kate Bush instead. :)

I only rarely listen to Tori now.

Written By: kellygoo72 on 03/13/06 at 10:09 pm

The new album is pretty bad, I've never even listened to it all the way through. Start with Little Earthquakes or the second disc of To Venus and Back, the live stuff. Or download some live songs from Limewire or www.hereinmyhead.com.
    I LOVE TORI!!! SHES A QUEEN IN MY BOOK, ALWAYS HAS BEEN.  I HAVE LOVED HER FOR YRS AND I NAMED MY KITTY PELE AFTER HER CD... SHE IS SUCH A WONDERFUL ARTIST... I COULD GO ON AND ON AND i DID HAVE THE CHANCE TO SEE HER PERFORM AND IT WAS A TREAT!!!  ROCK ON TORI.... ;)  SHE TOUCHES SO MANY LIVES....

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/13/06 at 10:12 pm

I used to be a huge Tori Amos fan in high school, starting in 1999 (I remember that To Venus and Back had just come out). I've sort of loved and lost with Tori over the last seven years though. Her last three albums -- the first two of which I had heavily anticipated during the pre-release phase -- were major let-downs for me.

More importantly, I changed as a person. In high school I was working through a lot of difficult adolescent issues, and was coming to terms -- in sometimes painful ways -- with my own identity; Tori's music was really important in that formative process. But by the time I got to university, not only was I disappointed by her more recent output, but I had begun to not want to take myself -- or her, for that matter -- so seriously anymore. I realized I really needed to just lighten up a little. I wanted fun, in the worst way. So I got into Kate Bush instead. :)

I only rarely listen to Tori now.

I sort of have gone through the same thing. When I was in like 5th-9th grade, Tori was the soundtrack to difficult times in my life, she was like the best friend I never had, when I had all these problems with friends and family. Her music was an extremely, extremely important part of my life. Lately, I've been moving more away from Tori and towards Joni Mitchell, Kate Bush, etc., who are more fun in a way, and into freedom, while Tori Amos has a very obsessive vibe. It's "only listen when you're depressed music", in some ways, but she's still one of my goddesses. Also, I agree, ebontyne, her last several albums have been adult contemporary pap that don't translate the same emotional power as her earlier work, particularly her first three classic albums.

Check for new replies or respond here...