inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: '90s and the PC/Bobo Movement

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/23/06 at 11:06 pm

I feel like the '90s were the real heyday of the PC movement. Being PC was really in vogue, especially for the first 2/3 of the '90s...it was a very bobo (bohemian bourgeoise) movement popular with aging boomers who were trying to regain some '60s/'70s consciousness through it. I remember thinking the whole PC thing was pretty stupid at the time it was in vogue, making sure every children's book had people of every size and shape and all the "sensitivity education", and the push for diversity in textbooks and everywhere sometimes leading to ridiculous and futile results. Mostly, I think the whole thing was a misguided attempt to change whole cultural attitudes that only changed on the surface since the '60s/'70s or didn't work as well as they ideally would, and as boomers were disappointed by that, they tried to make it look that way through the PC movement. Also, the '90s were the real heyday of the bobo thing. You know, all the designer "bohemian" areas and gentrification with bobos coming in vogue, the artsification of suburban areas, the vaguely liberal middle-aged lawyer thing, Whole Foods Market, etc. I'm not a big fan of the whole bobo thing, actually...they should be out there being more politically active instead of just having a classy, bohemian view of things. This stuff still goes on but it was happening really rapidly in the '90s, I remember. Now, gentrification has less of a bobo and more of a Trumpy, maniacal cast.

Subject: Re: '90s and the PC/Bobo Movement

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/24/06 at 10:31 am

Bump...any thoughts?

Written By: Skippy(in but out) on 02/24/06 at 2:37 pm

I never liked PC. It felt like just a new marketing tool for every "in vogue" person or politician to draw attention to themselves or to sell some crap pretending to be "good and wholesome". The use of politics to change culture is counter-productive and opposite to my way of thinking. The administration of the time overused the term "this is/is not politically correct" that I just got sick of hearing it. BTW, what determines what is/is not politically correct anyway?

Written By: gmann on 02/24/06 at 10:18 pm

I got so sick of hearing about what was/what wasn't "PC" during the '92 election. I know the issue was around well before that, but that was the first real awareness I had of the phrase itself.

Personally, following some manual for PC behavior to make everybody feel good seemed naive and, frankly, stupid. It's one thing to be tolerant. It's a whole 'nother can of worms to have the thought police around every corner. Sheesh. We should let people live their lives in the real world where disappointments and defeats actually happen. Adversity makes us stronger, ya see?  As it is, we have too many folks feeling "entitled" to something because of some perceived past wrong. Let's not down go down that road... 

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/24/06 at 10:52 pm

I got so sick of hearing about what was/what wasn't "PC" during the '92 election. I know the issue was around well before that, but that was the first real awareness I had of the phrase itself.

Personally, following some manual for PC behavior to make everybody feel good seemed naive and, frankly, stupid. It's one thing to be tolerant. It's a whole 'nother can of worms to have the thought police around every corner. Sheesh. We should let people live their lives in the real world where disappointments and defeats actually happen. Adversity makes us stronger, ya see?  As it is, we have too many folks feeling "entitled" to something because of some perceived past wrong. Let's not down go down that road...   

As a liberal, I think PC is bullsheeshe.  Yes, tolerance is great, in most cases, BUT we shouldn't have to stop doing things just because they hurt a super-sensitive person's feelings, especially if it detracts from our liberty.

But, on the other hand bigots do tend to justify discrimination via PC.  PC is just "too much of a good thing".

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/24/06 at 11:40 pm

As a liberal, I think PC is bullsheeshe.  Yes, tolerance is great, in most cases, BUT we shouldn't have to stop doing things just because they hurt a super-sensitive person's feelings, especially if it detracts from our liberty.

But, on the other hand bigots do tend to justify discrimination via PC.  PC is just "too much of a good thing".

Yeah, exactly...I think PC gives people a license to be bigoted and just say they're rebelling against PC. Alot of people in Generation Y, I think, don't understand what the world was like before the '70s or so (it's pretty incomprehensible) for civil rights and women's rights and gay rights and ethnic intolerance, so people use ethnic slurs now just for humor, to rebel against PC. It says a good thing about us in that we now are so far away from when that was an issue, but I also don't think alot of people understand the civil rights movement. So, yeah. PC sucks. Alot. It only ended up hurting the civil rights movement, because people now confuse the two. PC was a '90s corruption of a great, vital idea from the '60s.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/24/06 at 11:43 pm

Yeah, exactly...I think PC gives people a license to be bigoted and just say they're rebelling against PC. Alot of people in Generation Y, I think, don't understand what the world was like before the '70s or so (it's pretty incomprehensible) for civil rights and women's rights and gay rights and ethnic intolerance, so people use ethnic slurs now just for humor, to rebel against PC. It says a good thing about us in that we now are so far away from when that was an issue, but I also don't think alot of people understand the civil rights movement. So, yeah. PC sucks. Alot. It only ended up hurting the civil rights movement, because people now confuse the two. PC was a '90s corruption of a great, vital idea from the '60s.

Yes.  There's good PC and bad PC.

Good PC would be not allowing people to say "Black people are fried chicken eating rapists".  Bad PC is not allowing people to even say "black people".

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/24/06 at 11:53 pm

Yes.  There's good PC and bad PC.

Good PC would be not allowing people to say "Black people are fried chicken eating rapists".  Bad PC is not allowing people to even say "black people".

Si, exactemente.

Check for new replies or respond here...