inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Were kids nicer in the '90s?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/27/06 at 2:51 am

Thought I might as well ask this, since I did an '80s one.

Subject: Re: Were kids nicer in the '90s?

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/27/06 at 2:52 am

I really don't think there's much of a difference.

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/27/06 at 2:58 am

For some reason, I always saw a bit of a change around 1994 as far as preteens seeming more into violent video games and stuff - basing it off movies and TV shows. Even as late as 1992/93, there seemed to still be an element of "Home Alone"styled movies, but by '94 it was more like Bart Simpson, if you know what I mean.

However, when I started fourth grade in 1991, the kids would say stuff and tease others that I'm sure is no worse than now. Some got into fights too (I'm talking, say 9-12 year olds here - not quite "little" kids, but still basically prepubescent), but they weren't "bad" or anything. I think the school shooting era was still way off at the time.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/27/06 at 3:02 am

For some reason, I always saw a bit of a change around 1994 as far as preteens seeming more into violent video games and stuff - basing it off movies and TV shows. Even as late as 1992/93, there seemed to still be an element of "Home Alone"styled movies, but by '94 it was more like Bart Simpson, if you know what I mean.

However, when I started fourth grade in 1991, the kids would say stuff and tease others that I'm sure is no worse than now. Some got into fights too (I'm talking, say 9-12 year olds here - not quite "little" kids, but still basically prepubescent), but they weren't "bad" or anything. I think the school shooting era was still way off at the time.

Yeah ... 1997 was probably when it got really bad.  As for violent/controversial stuff, I think there were four shifts ... one around 1987/'88 with Married With Children and early mainstream rap, one around 1990 with Law and Order and the Simpsons, another around 1994 with NYPD Blue and gangsta rap, and then probably the most important one in 1997 with South Park and the ratings systems.  The very peak of explicit TV was probably 2003, but now is only a little better.

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/27/06 at 3:06 am

I went to private elementary and junior high so I never saw any really bad stuff go on, there were jerks, no real violent kids though, except back in 1999 after the school shooting this one kid got expelled for having a hit list of cetain teachers and students on it. I do think that kids act older now, when I was 10 I was still kind of like a little kid in ways, while I see 10 year olds today act like teenagers.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/27/06 at 3:08 am

One thing that I do think is a problem today is the way young girls dress. I mean, if you're 10, you should get nail polish to seem more mature, not dress like a slut.  Fortunately, I don't think this is quite as bad now as it was in say 2003.

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/27/06 at 3:11 am

One thing that I do think is a problem today is the way young girls dress. I mean, if you're 10, you should get nail polish to seem more mature, not dress like a slut.  Fortunately, I don't think this is quite as bad now as it was in say 2003.

They do dress sluttier nowadays, the 10 year old girls in 1997 did not dress slutty like now. Now I see 10 year olds in short skirts and stuff, that really wasn't much of a problem then for young girls like that.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/27/06 at 3:12 am

They do dress sluttier nowadays, the 10 year old girls in 1997 did not dress slutty like now. Now I see 10 year olds in short skirts and stuff, that really wasn't much of a problem then for young girls like that.

I would say this started around 1999, peaked around 2003-'04, and is slowly declining now.

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/27/06 at 3:13 am

10 year old girl in 1983: "Ohmigoooood! I have to make my hair like Cyndi Lauper in that video!"
10 year old girl in 2003: "I wanna dress like J-Lo!"

I agree though - heck, if you're 10, why would you even want to dress like that? Britney/Christina probably made that look popular in 1999, but the bling rap stuff escalated it.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/27/06 at 3:16 am

10 year old girl in 1983: "Ohmigoooood! I have to make my hair like Cyndi Lauper in that video!"
10 year old girl in 2003: "I wanna dress like J-Lo!"

I agree though - heck, if you're 10, why would you even want to dress like that? Britney/Christina probably made that look popular in 1999, but the bling rap stuff escalated it.

;D

Great comparison.  Would you say it's on the downtrend somewhat?  I've heard that slutty dressing is sort of slowly declining.

Written By: Trimac20 on 02/27/06 at 3:16 am

I see Donnie Darko just beat me to a post... >:(

Lol, no I can't really comment much. Sure, I was a kid in the 90s but I was a real goody goody. I don't remember much bullying at all in primary (or elementary) school. There was one fat kid who used to get bullied alot, but then he also bullied the bullies so it was like a two way bullying thing (if that's possible). But certainly (and thankfully) school shootings are a decidedly American thing. Don't know why. We play the same video-games, watch the same violent movies, listen to the same death metal music...but for some reason we don't go around killing people. I WONDER what the reason is?  ::)

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/27/06 at 3:17 am

;D

Great comparison.  Would you say it's on the downtrend somewhat?  I've heard that slutty dressing is sort of slowly declining.

I don't think so. When I drive by the elementary school, I couldn't believe some of the outfits these 9/10 year old girls had on.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/27/06 at 3:18 am

I see Donnie Darko just beat me to a post... >:(

Lol, no I can't really comment much. Sure, I was a kid in the 90s but I was a real goody goody. I don't remember much bullying at all in primary (or elementary) school. There was one fat kid who used to get bullied alot, but then he also bullied the bullies so it was like a two way bullying thing (if that's possible). But certainly (and thankfully) school shootings are a decidedly American thing. Don't know why. We play the same video-games, watch the same violent movies, listen to the same death metal music...but for some reason we don't go around killing people. I WONDER what the reason is?  ::)

Sorry.  ;D

Australians do things reyet ... I mean right.  ;D

Written By: Trimac20 on 02/27/06 at 3:19 am

Don't know what 'slutty' dressing has to do with 'niceness', but I do think we can blame the 'media' etc for 'harming' our children. Well maybe not, but a 10 year old wearing mascara and high heels or whatever is just a tad unsettling.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/27/06 at 3:19 am

I don't think so. When I drive by the elementary school, I couldn't believe some of the outfits these 9/10 year old girls had on.

The 2010s, my friend.  So much promise.

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/27/06 at 3:19 am

;D

I think it's unfortunately still somewhat around, but slightly past its peak too (say, the way new wave was in 1986). You know, I actually have never cared for the "slutty" dressing style in girls/women of any age - the wearing next to nothing look (though, of course it's pretty sick for a 10 year old girl to be like that).

Again, to use a musical comparisojn, I peronally think Madonna looks way hotter in the "Lucky Star" video than when she pushed the envelope during the "Justify My Love" era.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/27/06 at 3:21 am

Don't know what 'slutty' dressing has to do with 'niceness', but I do think we can blame the 'media' etc for 'harming' our children. Well maybe not, but a 10 year old wearing mascara and high heels or whatever is just a tad unsettling.

It has nothing to do with niceness.  It does have to do with the "state of the youth", so it's somewhat relevant to the thread.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/27/06 at 3:21 am

I think it's unfortunately still somewhat around, but slightly past its peak too (say, the way new wave was in 1986). You know, I actually have never cared for the "slutty" dressing style in girls/women of any age - the wearing next to nothing look (though, of course it's pretty sick for a 10 year old girl to be like that).

Again, to use a musical comparisojn, I peronally think Madonna looks way hotter in the "Lucky Star" video than when she pushed the envelope during the "Justify My Love" era.

Agreed.  I kind of like being able to imagine what they look like underneath, if you know what I mean  ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/27/06 at 3:25 am

Agreed.  I kind of like being able to imagine what they look like underneath, if you know what I mean  ;D

^ ;D

I think it comes off more "harsh" to be too sexy-looking, if you know what I mean. For instance, if you just met someone, you'd want to take awhile to get to know them. If you're reading someone's autobiography, you don't want to find out all the details on the first three pages. You'd rather get a feel for it first and comfortably know them, then find out.

Same thing here.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/27/06 at 3:27 am

^ ;D

I think it comes off more "harsh" to be too sexy-looking, if you know what I mean. For instance, if you just met someone, you'd want to take awhile to get to know them. If you're reading someone's autobiography, you don't want to find out all the details on the first three pages. You'd rather get a feel for it first and comfortably know them, then find out.

Same thing here.

Yeah exactly, plus it makes it sort of seem less special when everyone's half-naked.  You get used to it.

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/27/06 at 3:29 am

^ ;D

Same thing here.

I agree, some girls dress so slutty looking that it's hard to really look in their eyes and talk to them seriously since usually all I got on my mind is what I'm seeing, lol.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/27/06 at 6:33 am

I think slutty dressing is somewhat on the downturn, in the Northeast, anyway. Now, girls tend to wear leggings and long pants more with long-sleeved shirts and big jackets that sort of cling to their curves but don't exactly expose them. C. 2000, girls as young as 10 (ha, 1990-born), seemed to be dressing really slutty, now the preppie style as opposed to the exposed thong-underwear, midriff, and cleavage thing is in, alot of girls seem to wear shirts that don't even emphasize their cleavage. When I was in 7th grade, people were wearing bare-midriff shirts in winter and trying to get away with it, you definitely don't see as much slutty dressing as you used to.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/27/06 at 9:43 am

I think kids acted more like kids in the 90's. Just guessing here but it seems like that back in the 90's it was very rare for your average kid to be on the cutting edge of technology like today. When I was growing up the most advanced tech I had was my video games(We had a VHS player but my parents didnt buy it for me) Also another point that's been made here before is that kids spent more time outside then. Thats' very true because I remember that the most time i ever spent playing my game was 30-45 minutes max before I'd get bored and go outside. Also back then there would be alot more kids in my neighborhood outside playing now you hardly ever see any outside.

And as far as dressing slutty goes I'd agree that it's on the decline now. It peaked during the teen pop craze and carried over to the current rap craze but now since rap's popularity is somewhat dying down I think that trend is too(thankfully)

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/27/06 at 12:28 pm

Yep, the height of slutty dressing was 1997-2003, it's been declining since 2004. You see way less bare midriffs and cleavage with vulgar messages on them than you did then...I think people realized it looks like crap. Now, people like to stay covered up, but still sexy. There was another peak of slutty dressing from about 1967-1973, when my parents were in high school and girls were wearing hotpants and microminis that practically went up to their, erm, genitalia-I've seen that in their yearbooks. They changed after school into pants that actually were above that to go out and get drunk and stoned...not my parents, that is, but alot of kids.

Written By: 1993 on 02/27/06 at 11:34 pm

Kids didn't grow up as quickly in the 90's it seems. I was a "kid" seemingly until 15. No beer, no smoking, no promiscuous behavior really. Parents also had a firmer grip on their children.

also, technology. I grew up with no internet, no cell phones. We just hung out at the park, at the pool (many of us had one) when Sega genesis came out it was all the rage, then super nintendo. We rode bikes alot, played baseball and football in the suburbs. Just blissful summers.

nowadays, my god kids are experimenting with drugs at 13, girls having sex at 14 and dressing like whores. This is a far different world. Kids grow up so fast nowadays.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/28/06 at 1:29 am

Kids didn't grow up as quickly in the 90's it seems. I was a "kid" seemingly until 15. No beer, no smoking, no promiscuous behavior really. Parents also had a firmer grip on their children.

also, technology. I grew up with no internet, no cell phones. We just hung out at the park, at the pool (many of us had one) when Sega genesis came out it was all the rage, then super nintendo. We rode bikes alot, played baseball and football in the suburbs. Just blissful summers.

nowadays, my god kids are experimenting with drugs at 13, girls having sex at 14 and dressing like whores. This is a far different world. Kids grow up so fast nowadays.

Agreed. Dont you think this is due to the tech explosion in recent years? I think that now in the information age its easier for kids to get there hands on stuff over the internet but back in the 90's the average kid(myself included) probably didnt have internet access.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/28/06 at 12:31 pm

I think people really do get too much into nostalgia, in the '10s people will be saying this about the '00s. I don't think kids are worse now in the '00s, really. Just from listening to the stories my mom has told about people in her high school class dying of LSD overdoses around my age makes me realize that...kids didn't stay kids that much longer, it all depends on the person. I think the big turning point for that was the '60s. Kids' lives are still basically the same until 13 or so nowadays from what I perceive...people have the internet but nanny-blocks are popular, and I still see tons of kids just playing sports and video games most of the time. People are always people. I also think people are more on-end this decade about the world and such, and that's impacted things.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/28/06 at 12:37 pm

I think people really do get too much into nostalgia, in the '10s people will be saying this about the '00s. I don't think kids are worse now in the '00s, really. Just from listening to the stories my mom has told about people in her high school class dying of LSD overdoses around my age makes me realize that...kids didn't stay kids that much longer, it all depends on the person. I think the big turning point for that was the '60s. Kids' lives are still basically the same until 13 or so nowadays from what I perceive...people have the internet but nanny-blocks are popular, and I still see tons of kids just playing sports and video games most of the time. People are always people. I also think people are more on-end this decade about the world and such, and that's impacted things.

Yeah I agree that kids have been about the same for awhile now. I'm sure people were saying the same thing in the 70's with the emergence of video games and in the 80's and 90's as well.

Written By: MotleyCrueFan'05 on 02/28/06 at 1:01 pm

Kids today are lacking two things: IMAGINATION & CREATIVITY

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/28/06 at 5:38 pm

There still is imagination and creativity in kids, they just have to try harder now to express it...in working with the kids my mom teaches I've come to realize that. Everybody thinks every decade that kids are worse. Remember, in the '90s we had a crack baby epidemic.

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/01/06 at 5:57 pm

Eh, I've been rockin' the ganja since I was in the 5th grade. And I've met lots of people who started that real early(13 and under). Its not just my generation. My brother is Gen X and he was the same way. Unless thats not what you were talking about, 1993.

After being in High School I gotta say pot is one of the last things parents should be worried about. The real problem is that young people drink a LOT these days. A LOT. Also people do alot of pills, which are alot more dangerous than weed. You can't OD on weed. You can die if you take too many of the wrong pills.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/01/06 at 5:58 pm

Eh, I've been rockin' the ganja since I was in the 5th grade. And I've met lots of people who started that real early(13 and under). Its not just my generation. My brother is Gen X and he was the same way. Unless thats not what you were talking about, 1993.

After being in High School I gotta say pot is one of the last things parents should be worried about. The real problem is that young people drink a LOT these days. A LOT. Also people do alot of pills, which are alot more dangerous than weed. You can't OD on weed. You can die if you take too many of the wrong pills.

Weed is good.  I don't toke though.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/01/06 at 6:04 pm

Yeah, people drink WAYYY too much these days...why do you think that is?

Check for new replies or respond here...