inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: VHS/DVD Divide

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/02/06 at 1:03 am

On "Difference Between '80s and '90s Babies" we've been discussing how old someone would have to be to be familiar with the pre-DVD era. 

I would say 1993 is the border year.  Anyone born in 1994 or later would not know a time before DVD, and would equate home video with the format, even if they were familiar with the VHS as a secondary, "poor man's" format. 

In fact, to go with other technologies, I would make the divides:

PCs: late 1980s
Internet: early 1990s
Cell phones: c. 1994
Ipod: c. 1995

Subject: Re: VHS/DVD Divide

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/02/06 at 1:21 am

That sounds pretty accurate to me but I think it of course depends on how many tapes the given person brought when they were younger. I brought VHS tapes for 12 years before I finally switched over to dvd recently.

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/02/06 at 1:27 am

Sounds pretty accurate.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/02/06 at 5:00 am

I think the internet divide date is like 1993.

Written By: Webstor on 03/02/06 at 6:22 am

Plus, you need to remember that if we are talking about a child in 1993/94...then his parents could have kept buying him VHS tapes for years afterwards....  VHS tapes are more condusive to children because they are harder to break.

Written By: Roadgeek on 03/02/06 at 7:17 am

I got my first DVD player in 1999 so for me, maybe 1995.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/02/06 at 9:19 am

On "Difference Between '80s and '90s Babies" we've been discussing how old someone would have to be to be familiar with the pre-DVD era. 

I would say 1993 is the border year.  Anyone born in 1994 or later would not know a time before DVD, and would equate home video with the format, even if they were familiar with the VHS as a secondary, "poor man's" format. 

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/02/06 at 9:20 am

This is part of my reason for making a sudden 93-94ish divide, because somebody born in '94 wouldn't know a world before the prevalence of the internet, iPods, cell phones, etc.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/02/06 at 2:13 pm

That sounds pretty accurate to me but I think it of course depends on how many tapes the given person brought when they were younger. I brought VHS tapes for 12 years before I finally switched over to dvd recently.

Do you mean "bought"?  Well yeah I agree.  It depends on your familiarity, even a 1999er would probably not see a VHS as totally foreign because it's still not 100% phased out :)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/02/06 at 2:15 pm

I didn't finally start getting everything I owned on VHS on DVD until about 3 years ago.  I really never bothered before then, to be honest.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/02/06 at 2:24 pm

I didn't finally start getting everything I owned on VHS on DVD until about 3 years ago.  I really never bothered before then, to be honest.

If it weren't for extra features, I'd like the VHS format better.  DVDs are pretty confusing.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/02/06 at 2:25 pm

Do you mean "bought"?  Well yeah I agree.  It depends on your familiarity, even a 1999er would probably not see a VHS as totally foreign because it's still not 100% phased out :)

Sorry about that I cant spell to good ;D. But yeah VHS isn't totally phased out yet but I think it will be by the end of the year though so even someone born in '99 would still be familiar with VHS but probably would want nothing to do with one over dvd :D

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/02/06 at 2:29 pm

Sorry about that I cant spell to good ;D. But yeah VHS isn't totally phased out yet but I think it will be by the end of the year though so even someone born in '99 would still be familiar with VHS but probably would want nothing to do with one over dvd :D

It's cool, I have a crappy vocabulary myself  ;D

Yeah, I think 1992 is probably the last birth year in which someone would be more comfortable with VHS than DVD, but of course it all depends on the person.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/02/06 at 2:34 pm

Yeah, I think 1992 is probably the last birth year in which someone would be more comfortable with VHS than DVD, but of course it all depends on the person.

Yeah its funny that I consider dvd to be new but not nessecarily essential but someone born just a few years after me might consider it to be old because dvd's been out for as long as they can remember.lol

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/02/06 at 2:36 pm

Yeah its funny that I consider dvd to be new but not nessecarily essential but someone born just a few years after me might consider it to be old because dvd's been out for as long as they can remember.lol

;D

Yeah, even I think of it as a "new" thing, even though it debuted when I was 7.  I still feel a little more comfortable with a VHS, us old '90s farts  ;D

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/02/06 at 2:44 pm

;D

Yeah, even I think of it as a "new" thing, even though it debuted when I was 7.  I still feel a little more comfortable with a VHS, us old '90s farts  ;D

;D

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/02/06 at 2:45 pm

;D

lol

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/02/06 at 2:46 pm

In 2015, the VHS will be the new vinyl record  ;D

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/02/06 at 2:48 pm

Anybody remember those Divx DVDs they used to sell at Circuit City, they were like $5.00. They were supposed to an alternative to renting, but you didn't have to return it, it would only work for so long after you first used it.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/02/06 at 2:50 pm

Anybody remember those Divx DVDs they used to sell at Circuit City, they were like $5.00. They were supposed to an alternative to renting, but you didn't have to return it, it would only work for so long after you first used it.

That's pretty wasteful.  ::)  ;D

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/02/06 at 2:51 pm

That's pretty wasteful.  ::)  ;D

It was a dumb idea, and a rip, no surprise it failed.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/02/06 at 2:52 pm

It was a dumb idea, and a rip, no surprise it failed.

Good  ;D

One thing that sucks about DVD is how hard they are to record.  The VHS will probably stick around as the recording format for at least another 5 years.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/02/06 at 3:21 pm

Good  ;D

One thing that sucks about DVD is how hard they are to record.  The VHS will probably stick around as the recording format for at least another 5 years.

Oh defidently. The VHS is one touch recording so it should last for a bit longer because of that.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/02/06 at 3:25 pm

Oh defidently. The VHS is one touch recording so it should last for a bit longer because of that.

Actually, recording is the prime reason I know audio cassettes.  If the CD was the main medium for audio recording in the 1990s the tape would probably be almost as foreign to me as a vinyl record.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/02/06 at 3:52 pm

We had a tape deck in our car and when I was a little kid I mostly listened to tapes...we have 500+ old tapes in our house, we collected alot of them on sale when they were becoming obsolete. I think video cassette will stick around as a method of recording off TV for people who can't afford or don't want to spend the money on DVR, and there're still video tape recorders. I agree...if they could find a way to make videotapes multitrack, they're easier to use and they don't scratch. I still consider DVDs a new thing, which is sort of scary-VHS tapes have such sentimental value for me, I'm not ever getting rid of mine. My 1991 VHS of "The Little Mermaid" will be precious in the mid-21st century.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/02/06 at 4:55 pm

Yeah I got about 100+ myself and I dont plan on getting rid of them anytime soon ;)

Subject: Faulty Tech

Written By: Echo Nomad on 03/02/06 at 11:39 pm

Well, like Nasa, I might have to revert to the old standards. My DVD occasionally refuses to record and spits out the DVD saying it's defective. I figure it's wrong because it says this on every DVDRW I put in, and will record without a problem if I put it back in.

Written By: Roadgeek on 03/03/06 at 8:15 am

I used to always always listen to audio tapes in the car back in the 90's. I still have most of those tapes (Which is a lot by the way). I didn't start listening to CD's until about late 1996 or 1997.

As for DVD recording, my computers have DVD burners that I use occasionaly. I've been converting a lot of old VHS tapes to DVD lately via my USB A/V connector.

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/05/06 at 6:05 am

I used to always always listen to audio tapes in the car back in the 90's. I still have most of those tapes (Which is a lot by the way). I didn't start listening to CD's until about late 1996 or 1997.

As for DVD recording, my computers have DVD burners that I use occasionaly. I've been converting a lot of old VHS tapes to DVD lately via my USB A/V connector.

Even though I didn't start buying my own music/movies until probably 11 or 12 (circa '93), I have extremely fond memories of audiotapes in general. Hell, I knew of them as far back as 1984/85, so it's almost like a first memory for me. Same with VHS's, since those started becoming essential/household in '84 or so.

Despite being very familar with CD's since age 7 or so, I always felt more comfortable with cassettes, so in 1997 I was equally the old fart you are now. ;D

^ I mean that in a good way, of course.

Anyway, I would think anyone born before 1987 would certainly prefer VHS over DVD, at least at first (they'd already be turning 12 in 1999 when DVD's just started to explode, and wouldn't dominate until they were around 15 in 2002). 1988ers to 1992ers would probably be 50/50, and I think even a 2000-er who is currently 5 or 6 would certainly remember VHS pretty well, even if they never owned one.

I mean, I never owned a record, and even by my very earliest memories in late 1984/early 1985 they were fading in popularity, but I still have some memories of them being around and other people playing them.

Same thing with a 1999-er or a 2000-er on VHS.

Written By: Abix on 03/05/06 at 6:18 am

Maybe due to all those dvds/vhs tapes you've been watching, rather than reading a good old fashioned book ... Just kidding. I couldn't resist. 
Actually on this subject, I am a little miffed about the 'phasing out' of VHS tapes. I have over 2000 movies, and most of them are on  VHS. I refused to buy DVD  until 'they' forced me to, by only releasing movies on DVD.  So I finally gave in a year ago, and bought a combination DVD/VCR player. It's only a matter of time before DVD's are rendered obsolete as well. Just irks me !  >:(

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/05/06 at 6:42 am

Maybe due to all those dvds/vhs tapes you've been watching, rather than reading a good old fashioned book ... Just kidding. I couldn't resist. 
Actually on this subject, I am a little miffed about the 'phasing out' of VHS tapes. I have over 2000 movies, and most of them are on  VHS. I refused to buy DVD  until 'they' forced me to, by only releasing movies on DVD.  So I finally gave in a year ago, and bought a combination DVD/VCR player. It's only a matter of time before DVD's are rendered obsolete as well. Just irks me !   >:(

You know, I felt the exact same way back in 1999-2000 or so. Believe me, when DVD's first hit the market and threatened to wipe out VHS, I totally resisted it, thinking "if it ain't broke. don't fix it".

Hell, I was 17, 18 or 19 years old and had known VCR's and VHS since I'd been freakin' 3, so it felt like a part of my whole life was becoming irrelevant. It wasn't DVD's becoming popular, it was VHS declining that saddened me. Also, the conveinence factor was there, since I'd built up at least 300 tapes by then.

Now, that being said, today I have probably 100 DVD's too and really have come to love the format. So, if a super nostalgic nut like me can be won over, I think anyone can. ;D

P.S. I still am attached to my old VHS's, and tape off TV alot, so it's not like I'll ever give that up. I just now have comfortably co-existed the two. :)

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/05/06 at 7:20 am

I think until I was 10 or so the main format I used was a cassette tape, all my "little kid" music was on cassette tape and I bought them pretty frequently when I was a little older...I was just more comfortable with them in general. CDs always seemed alot more sophisticated to me.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/05/06 at 2:28 pm

Anyway, I would think anyone born before 1987 would certainly prefer VHS over DVD, at least at first (they'd already be turning 12 in 1999 when DVD's just started to explode, and wouldn't dominate until they were around 15 in 2002). 1988ers to 1992ers would probably be 50/50, and I think even a 2000-er who is currently 5 or 6 would certainly remember VHS pretty well, even if they never owned one.

I mean, I never owned a record, and even by my very earliest memories in late 1984/early 1985 they were fading in popularity, but I still have some memories of them being around and other people playing them.

Same thing with a 1999-er or a 2000-er on VHS.

I'd agree. I remember being 10 in '97 when DVD first came out thinking about how cool it would be to have a DVD player but they were way expensive back then so I stuck with my VHS until 2002 when I finally broke down and bought a DVD player. I still feel a little more comfortable with VHS even today. Even though DVD is more convienent of course.

I also agree with the fact that a 2000er will at least feel somewhat home with VHS since its possible his parents might not have updated to DVD yet so his first memories could be of watching movies of VHS. My parents didnt update to cd's for years so when I was younger they had to take out the old record player to listen to there 80's records so I've always felt somewhat at home even with records.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/05/06 at 3:38 pm

You know, I felt the exact same way back in 1999-2000 or so. Believe me, when DVD's first hit the market and threatened to wipe out VHS, I totally resisted it, thinking "if it ain't broke. don't fix it".

Hell, I was 17, 18 or 19 years old and had known VCR's and VHS since I'd been freakin' 3, so it felt like a part of my whole life was becoming irrelevant. It wasn't DVD's becoming popular, it was VHS declining that saddened me. Also, the conveinence factor was there, since I'd built up at least 300 tapes by then.

Now, that being said, today I have probably 100 DVD's too and really have come to love the format. So, if a super nostalgic nut like me can be won over, I think anyone can. ;D

P.S. I still am attached to my old VHS's, and tape off TV alot, so it's not like I'll ever give that up. I just now have comfortably co-existed the two. :)

I was kind of reluctant to accept the DVD too.  Even though I was born in '90, I used the VHS format from like 1994 to 1998 and sometimes after that.  Five years is an eternity to a kid, so it seemed like the movie format that had been around forever was going out.

In fact, if it weren't for the extra features on DVDs I would like the VHS better.  Sure you have to rewind them (rewinding tapes back before you rent them will seem incredibly old school to Gen Zers, lol), but those DVD players are so complicated, LOL.

Would you say the VHS tape is what defines Y?  That is, you spent your formative years familiar with the format?  A Gen Xer might not have adopted the VHS until they were older, whereas a Zer would only know them as a secondary format.  This line might be like 1980ish to 1994ish.

I would say 1994 is the last year you could really born in and remember the pre-DVD era, but I'd agree with 1988-1992 as the boundary of which you'd be equally comfortable with both.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/05/06 at 3:52 pm

It took me a few years to get comfortable with DVD, I think the first time I ever saw a DVD was 2000. I just have so much childhood fondness for the VHS format I don't think I'm ever getting rid of my old VHS tapes. And yeah, I think at one point having total familiarity with VHS is a Y thing.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/05/06 at 3:53 pm

It took me a few years to get comfortable with DVD, I think the first time I ever saw a DVD was 2000. I just have so much childhood fondness for the VHS format I don't think I'm ever getting rid of my old VHS tapes. And yeah, I think at one point having total familiarity with VHS is a Y thing.

Yeah, my Gen Zer little siblings will see them as relics, LOL.  I was watching them before they were even a thought.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/05/06 at 3:54 pm

Yeah, my Gen Zer little siblings will see them as relics, LOL.  I was watching them before they were even a thought.

Yep, VHS is an integral part of my childhood.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/05/06 at 3:55 pm

Yep, VHS is an integral part of my childhood.

DVDs suck.  If you scratch them, you break em.  ;D

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/05/06 at 3:56 pm

I know, seriously! The problem with tech stuff is that while it's higher quality, it drops further if you break it, and once you break it, it's almost impossible to fix.

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/05/06 at 7:00 pm

What puzzles me is how much more "delicate" they are than CD's (though of course, it's probably because they hold video and audio). If you get even a teeny smudge on a DVD, it's prone to skipping. Whereas I've bought some used CDs it looks like someone with a golf shoe stepped on, and it still plays perfectly.

And yes, I'm sure I'll keep my VHS tapes 'till the day I die, no matter if they're copied to DVR or not. From age 3 to 16 it was the only format I knew. ;)

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/05/06 at 7:03 pm

Would you say the VHS tape is what defines Y?  That is, you spent your formative years familiar with the format?  A Gen Xer might not have adopted the VHS until they were older, whereas a Zer would only know them as a secondary format.  This line might be like 1980ish to 1994ish.

I would say 1994 is the last year you could really born in and remember the pre-DVD era, but I'd agree with 1988-1992 as the boundary of which you'd be equally comfortable with both.

I'd say that VHS is defidently a Y thing. Even though some younger Gen Xers would have been fairly young when VHS made its debut. Gen Zers(except for a few older ones) will be far to young to even remember it.

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/05/06 at 7:13 pm

^Sometimes I have to remind myself how long VHS has really been around. It's had a very good run, I think there were primitive VCRs as early as the mid '70s, and by 1979/80 they were basically just WAY clunkier, heavier, more expensive versions of what we use today.

That's pushing 30 years. Someone who was 5 in 1980 (born 1975) would've "grown up" with them as much as a 1980-er or 1990-er.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/05/06 at 7:17 pm

^Sometimes I have to remind myself how long VHS has really been around. It's had a very good run, I think there were primitive VCRs as early as the mid '70s, and by 1979/80 they were basically just WAY clunkier, heavier, more expensive versions of what we use today.

That's pushing 30 years. Someone who was 5 in 1980 (born 1975) would've "grown up" with them as much as a 1980-er or 1990-er.

Very true. I think the VHS debut in 1976 but I'm not sure about that. And yes VHS was very expensive in its primitive days(the first ones costs thousands of dollars).

Check for new replies or respond here...