inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Toys of the 90s compared to the 00s...

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/03/06 at 2:08 am

Don't know whether I should post this in the 90s or 00s...

Anyway, I'm just wondering with all these electronic/interactive.etc toys, are more 'conventional' toys dying out? I sort of have 'insider' experience, having worked at a toy-shop. I think action man figures, barbie dolls, even bikes, frisbees (thankfully) seem to be selling as well as ever. Though I don't know many little children I can't speak experience. Though at the end of their childhood each child ends up with a big heap of useless plastic that could be recycled to make a whole pile of useless plastic after another kid as played with them.

Subject: Re: Toys of the 90s compared to the 00s...

Written By: Roadgeek on 03/03/06 at 8:07 am

I remember back in the early 90's I had a "bumble ball". You'd turn it on and it would "bumble" around the room.

In the 00's, they probably have bumble balls with built in iPod's.

Written By: audkal on 03/03/06 at 12:50 pm

I remember the bumble ball!  It does seem like every kid over the age of 5 nowadays wants something super high-tech.  It's ridiculous.  I played with toy horse figures until I was like 9.

Speaking of toys, what's up with "Bratz"?  It's like an ultra-slutty Barbie Doll with collagen injections. 
http://www.mgae.com/awards/images/_awards/bratz-f01.jpg
These things are everywhere.  They even have a TV show (which I saw once out of bordom).  I just don't get the craze.  Frankly, I don't think kids even like them I think it's just trying to be shoved down their throats.

BTW, does anyone remember Jibba Jabbers?
http://i21.ebayimg.com/02/i/06/27/cd/f5_1_b.JPG
When you shook it's neck, it would make a weird noise.  It came out in like '94 but was taken off the market because some kid tried shaking his younger brother's neck like the Jibba Jabber and I think the younger brother was killed from it.  :-\\

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/03/06 at 12:56 pm

Yep, traditional toys seem to be as popular as ever.

Bratz are really inappropriate, my mom has worked in Pre-Ks since 2000...they are everywhere. They're ghetto barbie dolls with collagen injections, as everybody described them, and they'll probably look ridiculously '00s and cheesy to the Generation Zers playing with them right now. And no, they don't really like them, they're just supposed to, that's the thing.

Written By: Roadgeek on 03/03/06 at 2:13 pm

I'm glad I'm not a girl because I'd probably be stuck with playing with those Bratz. :P

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/03/06 at 2:27 pm

I remember back in the early 90's I had a "bumble ball". You'd turn it on and it would "bumble" around the room.

In the 00's, they probably have bumble balls with built in iPod's.

I know. The other day at the mall I saw a little kid in a stroller watching a dvd on a portable dvd player :D

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/03/06 at 8:22 pm

Yeah, Bratz...they rival barbie dolls in popularity. Almost as annoying are those talking Elmo Dolls...

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/03/06 at 8:24 pm

I know. The other day at the mall I saw a little kid in a stroller watching a dvd on a portable dvd player :D

That's still pretty abnormal, though, if you know what I mean. You live in Atlanta, the capital of '00s excess. That'll probably always be pretty rare.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/03/06 at 8:52 pm

Less tech, that's for sure.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/03/06 at 10:36 pm

Less tech, that's for sure.

Again though, thank God, not THAT tech. They know more about it but I have never seen a kid under 7th grade age in my town with an iPod, and I live in a pretty upper middle-class town.

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/04/06 at 10:05 am

Yeah (young) kids and ipods generally don't mix...

One thing I know, however, is that more (and younger kids) are getting more acquainted with the world of computers and the internet. Which is generally a good thing.

Check for new replies or respond here...