inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What 90's technology and appliences do you still use today.

Written By: Andydrew on 03/03/06 at 7:11 pm

Hey,
We finally got our 1993 Panasonic tv replaced today, by a plasma TOSHIBA from this decade(DUH). I'm like the last person i know who still had a tv from the ninties in the lounge room. We do have other technology and appliences from the ninties that we still use in the house. Like the microwave, tumble dryer, radio/recorde/cd/tape player and more.

So i was wondering, what technologies or appliences from the 90's do you still use in you home today?

Subject: Re: What 90's technology and appliences do you still use today.

Written By: Andydrew on 03/03/06 at 7:44 pm

well.....................................

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/04/06 at 1:08 am

Probably a lot ... most currently used technologies were invented in the '90s. 

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/04/06 at 2:50 am

Well, I'm probably one of the few people on Earth who, despite burning CDs and having tons of DVDs and the Internet, still make mixtapes (from tape to tape!), and constantly record VHS's.

A couple boomboxes and VCR's (obviously), along with a Super NES and, well you know what, I bet almost everything in my room, aside from the computer, is from the '90s (at least the late '90s). ;)

I think the "modern" technology look probably started around 1993 or '94. Hell, a 1987 TV looked more outdated in 1994 than a 1994 TV looks today, IMO.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/04/06 at 3:31 am

^The '90s tvs (well, from '93 or so onward) look quite 21st Century-ish.

I would say the modern tech era started around 1994ish, but didn't become everywhere until 1998 or so.  1998 is when I started noticing digital cameras, and that's when the MP3 boom really took off.

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/04/06 at 10:30 am

No, most of the appliances in our house aren't from the 90s...more like the 80s

Indeed, our TVs at least 10 years old, most of the kitchen appliances we've had since we bought the house (think mid-80s). Only our washing machine, dishwasher (doesn't work), micro-wave and fridge are from after 2000.

Written By: nikki89 on 03/04/06 at 1:03 pm

We replaced our 19 in. Sanyo circa 90's TV in our living room just about 7 months ago. First we replaced it was a 27in RCA TV but it got hit by lightning so now we have a 27in Magnavox with built-in VCR and DVD. My mom still has the computer we got in 99, but it's so old she's just keeping it for the music she had saved. And I still use the VCR I got in 98(need a new one, but it still works well enough). Oh! And I STILL have a Sony radio from the early 90s, the cassette doesn't work anymore(but I don't really need it), and the bass boost doesn't work either, but it is the greatest radio I've ever had.

Written By: Roadgeek on 03/04/06 at 1:19 pm

Several VCR's, a Windows 95 Packard Bell, audio tape players, etc.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/04/06 at 3:22 pm

I wouldn't know.  I don't remember when everything was purchased.  I know most of my technology stuff (laptop, TV, DVD player, cell phone, stereo) were purchase in the last 3 or 4 years.  As for what everyone else in the house has, I have no clue.

Written By: audkal on 03/04/06 at 6:05 pm

We still use the microwave we got in '92--no turntable, and has fake wood panneling.

Others I can think of are our dryer (which is more like late 80s probably), I still play Sega Genesis and have it hooked up in my room.  And I have the first audio cassette player (RCA) I got in '95 (still works great!)

Written By: Andydrew on 03/04/06 at 9:01 pm

No, most of the appliances in our house aren't from the 90s...more like the 80s

yes, i have quiet a few stuff from the 80's as well, like the tv that was just in my room, which still has an indoor antenna. I think thats the only thing i can think of, i'm sure weve got more from stuff from the eighties, but its mostly 90's and a little bit of 00's.(well now anyways)

My current tv in my room is the one from the lounge room, its from 1993, and its quiet big, but that just makes its cooler, and of course its analog.

But the new one in the lounge room is sooo good, its got a wider more clearer screen and by coincidence the first movie on tv i saw on it, was "back to the future 1", (i know this is a 1990's thread) which kind of gave me the feeling that, "the 80's now feel like quiet while way back, like the 50's did when that movie was made"  it hit me that the latter 20th century is now starting to become (shall i dare say it) "old", but i guess classic would be a better word, lol.

I was a bit surprising to hear that a lot of people still had tech from the 90's, but i guess i shouldn't, most of my friends kind of get shocked when i tell them how old the tech in my house is, meh, different people i guess(well they are a bit richer than me, so i guess that would explain things, lol)

Written By: whistledog on 03/04/06 at 9:38 pm

Well, I'm probably one of the few people on Earth who, despite burning CDs and having tons of DVDs and the Internet, still make mixtapes (from tape to tape!)

I still make mix tapes as well.  Usually, I even make my own labels for the tape, so it looks like an actual tape that you could buy in a store in the 80's. 

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/05/06 at 5:25 am

I still play Sega Genesis and have it hooked up in my room.

Have you ever heard of emulators and ROMs? They're technically 'legal' if you own a copy of the game (I always thought that sounded too stupid to be true, like the internet cops would have anything better to do). Who else still plays with their circa 90s games console? I've still got my SNES and N64 in the old shelf, collecting dust, waiting for the day when I can sell it as an antique.

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/05/06 at 5:31 am

Have you ever heard of emulators and ROMs? They're technically 'legal' if you own a copy of the game (I always thought that sounded too stupid to be true, like the internet cops would have anything better to do). Who else still plays with their circa 90s games console? I've still got my SNES and N64 in the old shelf, collecting dust, waiting for the day when I can sell it as an antique.

I can beat that - I still regularly play the 8-bit NES (even though that's more of an '80s thing, it has some '90s credit since it was still relatively popular through about 1994). ;)

Written By: Abix on 03/05/06 at 9:07 am

We bought our house in 1995 and replaced most of the appliances... new washer,dryer, stove,  refrigerator, (no dishwasher though) . Bought a new TV (Panasonic  non  HDTV)  in 1998. I have gone through a couple  VCRs, a couple microwaves,  and is a BUNN coffee maker considered 90's?  We had one of those that lasted 10 yrs.. Just had to replace it last year.  We don't even have cable and our phone is corded.  (No Cell phone either..)  I guess I'm pretty behind the  times.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/05/06 at 2:33 pm

I can beat that - I still regularly play the 8-bit NES (even though that's more of an '80s thing, it has some '90s credit since it was still relatively popular through about 1994). ;)

Yeah I still play my NES alot too. I've got a computer in my room from '98 but most other stuff is 2000's stuff mostly because we just moved here in 2002 and when we moved we updated alot of stuff.

Written By: nostaglic4the90s on 03/05/06 at 3:24 pm

Our main television is a Sony 26" from 1987 and it still gets as good a picture as ever!  :o

Also, my old SNES gets more gameplay nowadays than any of my newer game systems.  Those old-school games were/are just so darn fun! 

Written By: audkal on 03/05/06 at 6:04 pm

Yeah my brother has some Sega emulators on his computer.  I just, for some reason, find it more fun to play them with the actual controller on the actual console.  It kills the "memories" when you're playing the game on a computer IMO.    :D

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/05/06 at 6:56 pm

Yeah my brother has some Sega emulators on his computer.  I just, for some reason, find it more fun to play them with the actual controller on the actual console.  It kills the "memories" when you're playing the game on a computer IMO.    :D

Same here.

It's also kinda sad to think as time goes on, there'll be less and less working systems, unless of course, they're ever manufactured again. I mean, a 1991 SNES is fifteen years old now. :(

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/05/06 at 9:06 pm

Same here.

It's also kinda sad to think as time goes on, there'll be less and less working systems, unless of course, they're ever manufactured again. I mean, a 1991 SNES is fifteen years old now. :(

I read a thing that said not only will vinyl records disappear, but information on making records will.  That almost made me cry, even though records were phasing out even before I was born. :(

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/05/06 at 10:55 pm

I read a thing that said not only will vinyl records disappear, but information on making records will.  That almost made me cry, even though records were phasing out even before I was born. :(

You mean the technology/tools needed to manufacture them? Wow, that is pretty sad. ;(

Unexpected too. It seems that records kinda made a comeback a few years ago (partly because club DJ's and rappers like them -- that's one good thing about rap actually ;D ), there's even small sections of used/new vinyls in some of the secondhand record stores I go to.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/06/06 at 12:26 am

Same here.

That is sad. It's also sad that even if you have the newest manufactured 2D video game system its still 10 years old :\'(

Check for new replies or respond here...