inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Any people born between 1993 and 1996 here?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/06/06 at 5:11 pm

Any pre-teens born in the mid '90s here?

If so, I have some questions for you:

1. How far back can you remember?
2. Do you have a VCR?
3. Do you consider yourself Gen Y or Gen Z?
4. Do you like rap?
5. Do you like emo?
6. Do you listen to music?
7. Do you watch TV, not counting cartoons?
8. Do you remember September 11 (when the planes crashed into the buildings)
9. Name our president (if you're American)
10. Do you have an iPod?

Subject: Re: Any people born between 1993 and 1996 here?

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/06/06 at 5:13 pm

2. Do you have a VCR?
4. Do you like rap?
5. Do you like emo?
10. Do you have an iPod?

I was just talking to my cousin born in 1993 about music, she said everybody in her class likes "Grillz".

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/06/06 at 5:26 pm

I'd be curious to ask somebody born in like 1998 about those things...from my observation, most kids I see walking home from elementary school in the afternoons when I'm walking around don't seem to have iPods, about 99%. The 1993ers seem to like current culture alot, and the 1994ers to some extent. Alot of my friends have much younger siblings, and maybe I'll ask one of our directors' kids when they come to rehearsal.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/06/06 at 5:45 pm

I was just talking to my cousin born in 1993 about music, she said everybody in her class likes "Grillz".

What do the 1994ers and '95ers like?  Are they still into Disney stuff?

Written By: Roadgeek on 03/06/06 at 5:53 pm

Even in the early 00's when I was the same age as the 1993ers and so, I still wasn't into current stuff. Like when I was about 10 years old in 1999 and 2000, I stayed away from N'Sync, Backstreet Boys, etc. I always listened to oldies like the Beatles.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/06/06 at 6:38 pm

Even in the early 00's when I was the same age as the 1993ers and so, I still wasn't into current stuff. Like when I was about 10 years old in 1999 and 2000, I stayed away from N'Sync, Backstreet Boys, etc. I always listened to oldies like the Beatles.

Yep, same with me, I always liked the Beatles, Motown, and the Stones more, alot of people I recall from my 4th grade class were the same, except they sort of listened to new stuff too.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/06/06 at 6:56 pm

I think I've seen a few '93ers on the site but i've never seen a 94er+ on here before.

Written By: La Roche on 03/06/06 at 7:02 pm

My cousin is 13, just turned 13 a week ago and actually has similar tastes to me in a lot of things.

He listens to a lot of the Heavier musical genre's, tends to enjoy watching most sports, loves to mess with all the latest technology etc.

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/06/06 at 9:09 pm

What do the 1994ers and '95ers like?  Are they still into Disney stuff?

My niece was born in 1995, she's likes certain current songs but not rap really. She also watches disney and nick a lot. She probably doesn't know what gen y or gen z even means.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/06/06 at 9:50 pm

My niece was born in 1995, she's likes certain current songs but not rap really. She also watches disney and nick a lot. She probably doesn't know what gen y or gen z even means.

Ah.  I'm one step closer to "confirming" that 1994 is the last year of Y, although I still think 1995 is too early for Gen Z.

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/06/06 at 9:52 pm

Ah.  I'm one step closer to "confirming" that 1994 is the last year of Y, although I still think 1995 is too early for Gen Z.

It's not gen z, it's part of the yz cusp which last until possibly as late as 1999.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/06/06 at 9:54 pm

It's not gen z, it's part of the yz cusp which last until possibly as late as 1999.

Yeah, that's what I would say. The real Gen Z doesn't for sure start until 2001 or so, although I'm extremely hesitant to consider late '90s babies fully Gen Y. My best friend is a 1993er and seems pretty Gen Y to me, despite his parents being early Gen Xers.  He likes Modest Mouse and Eminem and whatnot, and I'm almost sure he remembers VHS tapes and 9/11.  Thus, I think the YZ cusp begins in 1994 or '95.

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/06/06 at 9:59 pm

Yeah, that's what I would say. The real Gen Z doesn't for sure start until 2001 or so, although I'm extremely hesitant to consider late '90s babies fully Gen Y. My best friend is a 1993er and seems pretty Gen Y to me, despite his parents being early Gen Xers.  He likes Modest Mouse and Eminem and whatnot, and I'm almost sure he remembers VHS tapes and 9/11.  Thus, I think the YZ cusp begins in 1994 or '95.

My niece remembers 9/11 too, but she didn't really understand it if you know what I mean. I think mid-late '90s born are yz cusp, while '00s born are pretty much absolute gen z. Now my one cousin born in 1997, not too sure he really remembers 9/11, maybe a little.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/06/06 at 10:04 pm

My niece remembers 9/11 too, but she didn't really understand it if you know what I mean. I think mid-late '90s born are yz cusp, while '00s born are pretty much absolute gen z. Now my one cousin born in 1997, not too sure he really remembers 9/11, maybe a little.

It's kind of weird that there's a whole crop of kids who can barely remember 9/11.  If you're under 11 or 12, it would seem like a long time ago, but to me it seems like yesterday.  If I woke up in September 2001 I don't think I would even notice I was in a different time.

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/06/06 at 10:14 pm

It's kind of weird that there's a whole crop of kids who can barely remember 9/11.  If you're under 11 or 12, it would seem like a long time ago, but to me it seems like yesterday.  If I woke up in September 2001 I don't think I would even notice I was in a different time.

Oh yeah 2001 seems like yesterday. I can remember that day exactly, like it was yesterday. While kids born in 1995 do remember 9/11, I don't think it's not as significant of an event to them.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/06/06 at 10:16 pm

Oh yeah 2001 seems like yesterday. I can remember that day exactly, like it was yesterday. While kids born in 1995 do remember 9/11, I don't think it's not as significant of an event to them.

Yeah, exactly. 9/11 arguably set the tone for my adolescence and the way I look at the world, alot of things came unraveling about my life after that as I hit puberty...perfect timing.

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/07/06 at 4:44 am

I was reading an article in Wikipedia on 'Gen Y' and they said 'early Gen Y' (those born before 1984) were somehow different, because their childhood years did not occur in a period of such rapid technological development. I think I could qualify for an early GenYer, as I see many differences between myself and those born during the latter period. Gen Y is also supposed to last from between 1976 and 2001 (a period of 25 years), though, funnily enough, Gen-X is from 1964 to 1976 (a period of only 12 years). To me that doesn't make that much sense.

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/07/06 at 4:53 am

I was reading an article in Wikipedia on 'Gen Y' and they said 'early Gen Y' (those born before 1984) were somehow different, because their childhood years did not occur in a period of such rapid technological development. I think I could qualify for an early GenYer, as I see many differences between myself and those born during the latter period. Gen Y is also supposed to last from between 1976 and 2001 (a period of 25 years), though, funnily enough, Gen-X is from 1964 to 1976 (a period of only 12 years). To me that doesn't make that much sense.

That's only the last person who edited the article's opinion, I think the wikipedia generation articles are horrible. Don't take them as fact because they are far from it.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/07/06 at 6:00 am

Yeah, I worked on those for awhile, and they're horribly argumentative...don't take them as opinion, nobody except Strauss & Howe actually thinks Gen Y lasts until 2001.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/07/06 at 12:28 pm

Yeah a 93er is pure Gen Y. I still see 1993 as the last birth year that's fully Y which is why I believe like you do that the cusp starts in 1994. It's possible that 2001 is the first year that's pure Z. But I do think that 1997 is the first year that's more Z than Y.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/07/06 at 12:39 pm

Yeah a 93er is pure Gen Y. I still see 1993 as the last birth year that's fully Y which is why I believe like you do that the cusp starts in 1994. It's possible that 2001 is the first year that's pure Z. But I do think that 1997 is the first year that's more Z than Y.

Meh. I'm not arguing about this now.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/07/06 at 12:44 pm

;D

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/07/06 at 1:06 pm

;D

Written By: 90\'s kid on 03/09/06 at 10:26 am

i have a nephew that is 14 years old (im 18 years) and he actually remembers almost  everything what i remember such as the power rangers,listining to 90's rap,remembering ex president clinton. but mostly yeah he knows  more of the late 90's rather than me i remember  93 and beyond

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/09/06 at 6:43 pm

i have a nephew that is 14 years old (im 18 years) and he actually remembers almost  everything what i remember such as the power rangers,listining to 90's rap,remembering ex president clinton. but mostly yeah he knows  more of the late 90's rather than me i remember  93 and beyond

That's pretty cool, but it makes sense to me that he'd remember. He was probably born in '92 or 93? Alot of 1982/83 people remember the '80s. I'm a late '81er and I remember 1986+ perfectly.

In fact, it's almost MORE likely a 1993-born person would remember the '90s as they were going on, than a 1983 person remembering the '80s in present tense, just because of how widespread the Internet and such, were.

I think one reason some people as old as only a year or two younger than me, sometimes are kinda blank on the '80s is because it was still a teeny bit more conservative - i.e. some parents probably "shielded" their kids from news and pop culture, whereas in the '90s and today, that's almost impossible, as well as less common.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/09/06 at 9:50 pm

That's pretty cool, but it makes sense to me that he'd remember. He was probably born in '92 or 93? Alot of 1982/83 people remember the '80s. I'm a late '81er and I remember 1986+ perfectly.

In fact, it's almost MORE likely a 1993-born person would remember the '90s as they were going on, than a 1983 person remembering the '80s in present tense, just because of how widespread the Internet and such, were.

I think one reason some people as old as only a year or two younger than me, sometimes are kinda blank on the '80s is because it was still a teeny bit more conservative - i.e. some parents probably "shielded" their kids from news and pop culture, whereas in the '90s and today, that's almost impossible, as well as less common.

Do you feel that the world was a lot bigger in the '80s?  With the Internet, the world of the zeroes and late nineties is tiny, but prior to 1997 did you actually feel like you lived on a larger planet due to the slower communication?

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/09/06 at 11:48 pm

^To an extent, yeah.

One thing about being a kid that I do miss is a limitless imagination, which is even easier without "knowing" everything. Of course I knew there was only one planet, and roughly what it was like to travel from California to Florida, etc. but since TV and movies were my basic window to "the world", yeah I guess there was some mystery in it. Video games helped too.

Of course with as much as I live on the computer (well, when I'm at home) I'll never diss it, but I almost do feel like they're less to discover now, so I see what you're saying.

A born in 1997 kid will only know what the "Internet" era is like from personal experience, too, so I wonder if they'll think of the world as smaller?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/10/06 at 12:03 am

^To an extent, yeah.

One thing about being a kid that I do miss is a limitless imagination, which is even easier without "knowing" everything. Of course I knew there was only one planet, and roughly what it was like to travel from California to Florida, etc. but since TV and movies were my basic window to "the world", yeah I guess there was some mystery in it. Video games helped too.

Of course with as much as I live on the computer (well, when I'm at home) I'll never diss it, but I almost do feel like they're less to discover now, so I see what you're saying.

A born in 1997 kid will only know what the "Internet" era is like from personal experience, too, so I wonder if they'll think of the world as smaller?

Would you say even though the Internet came to popularity in the '90s, TV was still people's main source of information until the Zeroes, or at least until like 1998 or 1999?  Even in the nineties TV seemed much more popular, I don't think people talked about "not watching TV anymore" as much back then.

I wonder if the world will become smaller again in the tens.  Like I've said I think the tens are going to be hugely different from the zeroes, like as different as the '80s and '90s are from each other.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/10/06 at 12:35 pm

Would you say even though the Internet came to popularity in the '90s, TV was still people's main source of information until the Zeroes, or at least until like 1998 or 1999?  Even in the nineties TV seemed much more popular, I don't think people talked about "not watching TV anymore" as much back then.

I wonder if the world will become smaller again in the tens.  Like I've said I think the tens are going to be hugely different from the zeroes, like as different as the '80s and '90s are from each other.

Yeah, alot of people TALK about not watching TV, but most people still watch some TV. More people don't watch TV anymore (part of it is the quality of what's on, honestly), but TV is and always will be a popular leisure activity.

The world is alot smaller than it once was, but the internet age has created so many divisions within America even as it homogenizes it, honestly. I want to see alot more of the world, something I think most people are more interested in now.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/10/06 at 4:26 pm

Yeah, alot of people TALK about not watching TV, but most people still watch some TV. More people don't watch TV anymore (part of it is the quality of what's on, honestly), but TV is and always will be a popular leisure activity.

It'll be awhile before the internet totally overtakes TV. Mostly because watching TV is still an instutution and has been for 45+ years. The internet is still to new and alot of older people still dont use it.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/10/06 at 4:27 pm

It'll be awhile before the internet totally overtakes TV. Mostly because watching TV is still an instutution and has been for 45+ years. The internet is still to new and alot of older people still dont use it.

Also, as Duderino said...it's a great veg out activity, and I personally love TV.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/10/06 at 4:29 pm

Also, as Duderino said...it's a great veg out activity, and I personally love TV.

I do too but I will admit that watching network TV isnt nearly as fun as it used to be.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/10/06 at 4:41 pm

I do too but I will admit that watching network TV isnt nearly as fun as it used to be.

The quality is so excruciatingly low.

Written By: rich1981 on 03/10/06 at 11:13 pm

Most of the TV I watch nowadays is either game shows or the news.

Written By: nally on 03/10/06 at 11:22 pm

Most of the TV I watch nowadays is either game shows or the news.

Same here. In addition to older sitcoms. And "Whose Line Is It Anyway."

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/11/06 at 1:29 pm

Same here. In addition to older sitcoms. And "Whose Line Is It Anyway."

I watch a few new shows like "America's Next Top Model", "Project Runway", and "Desperate Housewives", and sometimes "Law and Order." I also watch reruns of "Golden Girls", "Seinfeld", "Will and Grace", "The Nanny", "Law and Order", "Law and Order: SVU", "All in the Family", and some Comedy Central and VH1 reruns, occasionally. There're alot of shows I used to watch when they were on, like "Six Feet Under" and "Sex and the Cty."

Written By: nally on 03/12/06 at 1:38 pm

I watch a few new shows like "America's Next Top Model", "Project Runway", and "Desperate Housewives", and sometimes "Law and Order." I also watch reruns of "Golden Girls", "Seinfeld", "Will and Grace", "The Nanny", "Law and Order", "Law and Order: SVU", "All in the Family", and some Comedy Central and VH1 reruns, occasionally. There're alot of shows I used to watch when they were on, like "Six Feet Under" and "Sex and the Cty."

Of the shows you mentioned, I only watch "Will and Grace." The other night I stayed up real late and watched it from 12:30-1am, but I fell asleep midway through the show, but woke up in time for the final segment.

Written By: Patrick O'Brien on 03/25/06 at 11:48 pm

2. Do you have a VCR?
4. Do you like rap?
5. Do you like emo?
10. Do you have an iPod?
1 About 95 but 97 clearly
2yes
3 Y
4 Yes
5 Hell no
6Yes
7 Yes
8 I remember that day perfect
9 Regan Bush Clinton Bush
10 Yes
I was born in 92 i love 90s rap like Pac Biggie Dr. Dre snoop And late 90s like Eminem I kinda like todays rap but its not nearly as good as 90s. I love the 90s

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/26/06 at 12:00 am

Spare a thought for me...network TV here means 6 channels (mostly crap-all). I guess it's sort of good, as since we got rid of cable I've been watching far less TV.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/26/06 at 1:38 am

1 About 95 but 97 clearly
2yes
3 Y
4 Yes
5 Hell no
6Yes
7 Yes
8 I remember that day perfect
9 Regan Bush Clinton Bush
10 Yes
I was born in 92 i love 90s rap like Pac Biggie Dr. Dre snoop And late 90s like Eminem I kinda like todays rap but its not nearly as good as 90s. I love the 90s

Seem like a Yer to me.  :)

You also seem too young to remember the bad things about the '90s.  I think 1990ers and 1991ers would generally, although not always be the youngest people to remember the '90s enough not to sugar-coat them.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/26/06 at 2:10 am

Seem like a Yer to me.  :)

You also seem too young to remember the bad things about the '90s.  I think 1990ers and 1991ers would generally, although not always be the youngest people to remember the '90s enough not to sugar-coat them.

Yeah, I think 1993ers seem pretty Y, if late Y. I suppose I idealize the '90s somewhat, but I also remember the bad stuff about them: school shootings, the crack and ecstasy epidemics, teen homelessness, etc.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/26/06 at 2:28 am

Yeah, I think 1993ers seem pretty Y, if late Y. I suppose I idealize the '90s somewhat, but I also remember the bad stuff about them: school shootings, the crack and ecstasy epidemics, teen homelessness, etc.

1993 is the first year that's more Z like than X like I'd say, but it's still Y. 

I don't quite idealize the '90s, but as they become more distant and my memory of them fades I tend to like them more and more.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/27/06 at 7:17 pm

I agree. I would say that 1990ers or 1991ers would still remember what was bad about the 90's but someone '92+ wouln't be able to grasp some of the bad things about the decade. I love the 90's but I wont deny it had its flaws.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/27/06 at 7:20 pm

I agree. I would say that 1990ers or 1991ers would still remember what was bad about the 90's but someone '92+ wouln't be able to grasp some of the bad things about the decade. I love the 90's but I wont deny it had its flaws.

Yeah, I wouldn't say I love them, I like them though.  Their flaws aren't quaint like those of the '80s are.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/27/06 at 7:25 pm

Yeah, I wouldn't say I love them, I like them though.  Their flaws aren't quaint like those of the '80s are.

Yeah, I remember the school shooting epidemic in the late 90's. It was a really scairy time to be in school.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/27/06 at 7:59 pm

Hey, the '80s had some non-quaint flaws! Yuppieism, deindustrialization putting millions out of work, the crack epidemic, etc. They just seem very quaint in retrospect.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/27/06 at 9:19 pm

Hey, the '80s had some non-quaint flaws! Yuppieism, deindustrialization putting millions out of work, the crack epidemic, etc. They just seem very quaint in retrospect.

Yeah, perhaps.  But the '80s wouldn't be the '80s without that event, just like there can't be a bacon cheeseburger without bacon (although I like bacon).

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/27/06 at 9:26 pm

Yeah, perhaps.  But the '80s wouldn't be the '80s without that event, just like there can't be a bacon cheeseburger without bacon (although I like bacon).

But then you could say the '90s wouldn't have been the '90s without Columbine and other school shootings, which is probably true. They provided that weird paranoid undertone beneath the prosperity of the '90s.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/27/06 at 10:05 pm

But then you could say the '90s wouldn't have been the '90s without Columbine and other school shootings, which is probably true. They provided that weird paranoid undertone beneath the prosperity of the '90s.

Yeah, I guess that's true.

"Paranoia, paranoia, everybody's coming to get me" that line is very '90s.

Written By: Criz on 03/28/06 at 3:01 pm

Hmm, so in your opinion, where does generation X end?

Beacuse if, being born in 1984 - I'm classed in the same sort of league as those born in 1993 - well I don't think that's right at all!!! man, I feel old saying that...

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/28/06 at 3:03 pm

Hmm, so in your opinion, where does generation X end?

Beacuse if, being born in 1984 - I'm classed in the same sort of league as those born in 1993 - well I don't think that's right at all!!! man, I feel old saying that...

Gen X?  Well, being a Yer, my opinion isn't completely valid, but I'd say 1980 or 1981 is the final X year.

If you can remember the zeitgeist of the '80s and got into some of the early '90s culture I would call you X, assuming you feel alienated from the '00s culture to some extent.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/28/06 at 4:59 pm

Gen X?  Well, being a Yer, my opinion isn't completely valid, but I'd say 1980 or 1981 is the final X year.

If you can remember the zeitgeist of the '80s and got into some of the early '90s culture I would call you X, assuming you feel alienated from the '00s culture to some extent.

I think if you graduated high school in 2002, you're Y, no argument about it. But you really aren't that close to 1993, but you fall in the same spice rack, if you know what I mean. I'm not even that close to a 1993er, and I'm a 1990er.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/28/06 at 7:22 pm

I think if you graduated high school in 2002, you're Y, no argument about it. But you really aren't that close to 1993, but you fall in the same spice rack, if you know what I mean. I'm not even that close to a 1993er, and I'm a 1990er.

Yeah, 1984 is Y and so is 1993 but as they say your only as much like a '93er as you act.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/28/06 at 8:15 pm

I don't see much of a generation gap between me and a 1993er.  Yeah they're less X-like and not peak Y, but they're Y enough.  They're definitely different from a 1984er or 1986er, but 1989+ isn't hugely different from 1993 from what I can tell.  Yeah they're considerably younger and wouldn't remember before 1996 or so, but it's the 1994ers that are the kids that grew up with Spongebob and seem really young.

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/29/06 at 3:10 am

Perhaps a deciding factor is whether you relate more to Beavis Butthead/Simpsons/Ren and Stimpy or Futurama/South Park/Spongebob.etc.

Those in the former category would be early GenY, those of the latter late GenY. If you sort of relate to both then you're 'peak' GenY. Though I know the Simpsons is still on, the peak of its cultural influence was pbly late 90s.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/29/06 at 3:16 am

Perhaps a deciding factor is whether you relate more to Beavis Butthead/Simpsons/Ren and Stimpy or Futurama/South Park/Spongebob.etc.

Those in the former category would be early GenY, those of the latter late GenY. If you sort of relate to both then you're 'peak' GenY. Though I know the Simpsons is still on, the peak of its cultural influence was pbly late 90s.

Nah, Beavis and Butthead, Simpsons, and ren and stimpy are late Gen X.  Gen Y begins in 1997.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/29/06 at 6:01 am

As we've both said, though, there are ALOT of similarities between Gen X and Gen Y. Like there are plenty of huge Simpsons fans or people who grew up with the Simpsons around my age (like me) and people who adored Ren and Stimpy.

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/29/06 at 6:52 am

Nah, Beavis and Butthead, Simpsons, and ren and stimpy are late Gen X.  Gen Y begins in 1997.

I would argue Ren and Stimpy and to a lesser extent B&B are more Gen Y then X, as early Gen Y people were at their formative childhood years when those shows were at there peak in the mid-90s, whereas later Gen Y people would be young when shows like Futurama were at their peak about 2000.

Written By: Criz on 03/29/06 at 8:00 am

I guess I wouldn't class myself as someone from Generation x - but then again, I don't know if I could identify with anyone being born in 1993 for that matter? I just find that sort of generation very different to my friends and possibly the way we acted in our teens. Maybe it's just me getting old. Anyway - hopefully once I finish training as a teacher next year I'll be able to identify with teenagers on one level anyway!

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/29/06 at 8:15 am

I guess I wouldn't class myself as someone from Generation x - but then again, I don't know if I could identify with anyone being born in 1993 for that matter? I just find that sort of generation very different to my friends and possibly the way we acted in our teens. Maybe it's just me getting old. Anyway - hopefully once I finish training as a teacher next year I'll be able to identify with teenagers on one level anyway!

Don't worry, teens today aren't really that different under the surface...

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/29/06 at 12:16 pm

I don't see much of a generation gap between me and a 1993er.  Yeah they're less X-like and not peak Y, but they're Y enough.  They're definitely different from a 1984er or 1986er, but 1989+ isn't hugely different from 1993 from what I can tell.  Yeah they're considerably younger and wouldn't remember before 1996 or so, but it's the 1994ers that are the kids that grew up with Spongebob and seem really young.

I agree. People in my age group(1984-1988) seem really different from your average '93er. I'm not really sure how different that 1989+ crowd is from a '93er but I'll take your word for it ;). Also 1994ers do seem alot younger than 1993ers. I'm not sure why, maybe it's because they didnt have there first clear memories until 1999?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/29/06 at 5:21 pm

I agree. People in my age group(1984-1988) seem really different from your average '93er. I'm not really sure how different that 1989+ crowd is from a '93er but I'll take your word for it ;). Also 1994ers do seem alot younger than 1993ers. I'm not sure why, maybe it's because they didnt have there first clear memories until 1999?

Yeah, the thing about 89+ was really conjecture.  Yeah, I think 1999 is exactly the reason 1993ers are more fully Y than 1994ers, they would at least remember the late '90s.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/29/06 at 5:22 pm

I dunno ... we're pretty similar in a lot of ways.  I'm starting to go through a "quarter-life crisis" myself.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/29/06 at 5:58 pm

Yeah, the thing about 89+ was really conjecture.  Yeah, I think 1999 is exactly the reason 1993ers are more fully Y than 1994ers, they would at least remember the late '90s.

I agree. That's why I think Gen Z starts in 1997 since that would probably be the last year you could be born in and not remember even one thing from the 90's.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/29/06 at 6:01 pm

I agree. That's why I think Gen Z starts in 1997 since that would probably be the last year you could be born in and not remember even one thing from the 90's.

Yeah that's my logic too, since Gen Y means the transmillenial generation.  1996 may be Z too in some ways, like 1964 is Xy but technically boomer.  You don't have to be an emo myspacer born in 1988 or 1991 to be a Gen Yer, you just have to remember the pre-millenial era (and preferably, 1998 or before).

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/29/06 at 6:04 pm

Yeah that's my logic too, since Gen Y means the transmillenial generation.  1996 may be Z too in some ways, like 1964 is Xy but technically boomer.  You don't have to be an emo myspacer born in 1988 or 1991 to be a Gen Yer, you just have to remember the pre-millenial era (and preferably, 1998 or before).

Exactly. Even though 1994ers+ may be alot different than peak Yers I still think they have enough late 90's experince to classify them as Y.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/29/06 at 6:05 pm

I think to be Gen Y you have to remember the pre-digital world, it's not just remembering 1999 vaguely.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/29/06 at 6:07 pm

I think to be Gen Y you have to remember the pre-digital world, it's not just remembering 1999 vaguely.

What is pre-digital?  Pre-1999? Pre-1998? Pre-1997? Pre-1990? It really depends on how you define it, it would vary from person to person.  I don't even think 2006 is 100% digitalized, which I why I use 2000 as the mark; it's a round, even number lots of people would agree on.

But, I do think you have a remember one thing from before 1998 or '99 to be 100% Y.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/29/06 at 6:12 pm

What is pre-digital?  Pre-1999? Pre-1998? Pre-1997? Pre-1990? It really depends on how you define it, it would vary from person to person.  I don't even think 2006 is 100% digitalized, which I why I use 2000 as the mark; it's a round, even number lots of people would agree on.

But, I do think you have a remember one thing from before 1998 or '99 to be 100% Y.

I say maybe pre-1997 but that's just because I think thats the year the internet started to become household. But you could make a case for 2000 or any year for that matter.

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/29/06 at 6:12 pm

Digital has been around for a number of years really. I wouldn't call today's world 100% digital because it isn't. Technology has just progressed, in 10 years today's technology will suck.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/29/06 at 6:13 pm

I say maybe pre-1997 but that's just because I think thats the year the internet started to become household. But you could make a case for 2000 or any year for that matter.

For America I'd say 1997, other parts of the world probably still aren't there yet.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/29/06 at 6:19 pm

You have to get the zeitgeist of at least 1997 to be 100% Y, IMO. I think getting and remembering the zeitgeist means alot more than remembering one thing pop culturally that's non-kid, like the Macarena. I think I got the zeitgeist totally around the time I was 4, so maybe IMO, that makes 1993 the last actually possible year to be totally Y. To be Y at all, you should remember the zeitgeist of like 1999 (2000 had the recession and all), which to me makes it 1995.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/29/06 at 7:24 pm

You have to get the zeitgeist of at least 1997 to be 100% Y, IMO. I think getting and remembering the zeitgeist means alot more than remembering one thing pop culturally that's non-kid, like the Macarena. I think I got the zeitgeist totally around the time I was 4, so maybe IMO, that makes 1993 the last actually possible year to be totally Y. To be Y at all, you should remember the zeitgeist of like 1999 (2000 had the recession and all), which to me makes it 1995.

Yeah, I'm down with putting 1995 or 1996 as the last year of Y, but I think the change is really sharp: there's nothing Gen Z about 1990-1992, and even 1993 and 1994 only smack a little of Gen Z.  But yeah I'd say you have to at least remember 1997 at all to be full-fledged Y, since that's when the Y culture started to shine.  I remember 1997 quite well, but someone even 3 years younger than me wouldn't.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/29/06 at 9:22 pm

Yeah, I'm down with putting 1995 or 1996 as the last year of Y, but I think the change is really sharp: there's nothing Gen Z about 1990-1992, and even 1993 and 1994 only smack a little of Gen Z.  But yeah I'd say you have to at least remember 1997 at all to be full-fledged Y, since that's when the Y culture started to shine.  I remember 1997 quite well, but someone even 3 years younger than me wouldn't.

This debate could really go on forever. I guess the only way we'll ever know is when '95ers, '96ers, and '97ers start posting here so we can see what there really like.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/29/06 at 9:50 pm

I think the change is usually pretty sharp when there's as big a change as the digital revolution, and when a big super-generation ends to be a new super-generation. Like there always struck me as being a pretty abrupt difference between somebody born in 1961 and somebody born in 1965. Somebody born in 1961 remembered a time before black people could vote in the south. Somebody born in 1965 had Atari.

Written By: La Roche on 03/29/06 at 11:59 pm

wow... this is a sentance that should not be read after several beers.

I think I need to go to bed.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/30/06 at 12:29 am

This debate could really go on forever. I guess the only way we'll ever know is when '95ers, '96ers, and '97ers start posting here so we can see what there really like.

Yeah, I agree. All I can do is repeat myself until they actually show up.  Only the 1993ers, which I've said I'm pretty sure are entirely Y or darn close to so post online.

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/30/06 at 3:15 am

I don't think 7-10 year olds really go for the message boards in a big way. I was about 13 when I became a 'regular' at any message board. Anyone here been posting since before they were 10?

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/30/06 at 11:48 am

I don't think 7-10 year olds really go for the message boards in a big way. I was about 13 when I became a 'regular' at any message board. Anyone here been posting since before they were 10?

Yeah, were gonna have to wait probably about 2 or 3 more years before they become regulars. Even '93ers aren't regulars yet.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/30/06 at 2:25 pm

I think to really be fully Y you have to pass a test: do you remember the Macarena craze?

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/30/06 at 2:31 pm

I think to really be fully Y you have to pass a test: do you remember the Macarena craze?

We had to do the Macarena in a school play in '96. A very very embarassing moment to say the least ;D

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/30/06 at 2:33 pm

We had to do the Macarena in a school play in '96. A very very embarassing moment to say the least ;D

I went to this day camp in 1996 and took a Spanish class...we did the dance steps to the Macarena every day and I really loved it at the time.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/30/06 at 2:36 pm

I went to this day camp in 1996 and took a Spanish class...we did the dance steps to the Macarena every day and I really loved it at the time.

Yeah, I thought it was a cool little dance at the time, the embarassing part was doing it in front of the whole school and my parents :-[

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/30/06 at 6:13 pm

I can remember it, but it was probably actually in 1997 when I heard it the first time.  I don't think you'd have to remember it to be fully Y; I consider it the last craze that isn't specifically of Gen Y.  That 1995-1996 period is the cusp between the Gen X era of 1981-1994 and the Gen Y era of 1997-present.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/30/06 at 6:26 pm

I can remember it, but it was probably actually in 1997 when I heard it the first time.  I don't think you'd have to remember it to be fully Y; I consider it the last craze that isn't specifically of Gen Y.  That 1995-1996 period is the cusp between the Gen X era of 1981-1994 and the Gen Y era of 1997-present.

My whole thing is that to be fully of something and appreciate the monumentality of it, you have to remember something from before your culture. Like a true boomer remembers the whole late '50s-early '60s zeitgeist and so would probably be born before 1959, a true total Xer, bratpacker type remembers the late '70s somewhat, etc.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/30/06 at 7:01 pm

My whole thing is that to be fully of something and appreciate the monumentality of it, you have to remember something from before your culture. Like a true boomer remembers the whole late '50s-early '60s zeitgeist and so would probably be born before 1959, a true total Xer, bratpacker type remembers the late '70s somewhat, etc.

I agree with this somewhat. To be 100% Y then you probably have to remember pre-1997 fairly well but people born 1993-1996 still qualify as Gen Y even though not as much so as someone born in say 1987.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/30/06 at 7:10 pm

I agree with this somewhat. To be 100% Y then you probably have to remember pre-1997 fairly well but people born 1993-1996 still qualify as Gen Y even though not as much so as someone born in say 1987.

I also agree with this, however I don't think not being at the peak of a generation means you're partially of another gen.  Take this for instance: if a 1987 was a 20 oz bottle of Coke, a 1993er would be a 16 oz bottle of Coke, not 16 ounces of coke mixed with 4 oz of 7up.  Less Y, but still purely Y.  That's not to say a 1993er wouldn't have a few Zish tendencies, of course they would, as my best friend born in '93 seems too, but he's still 100% Y, just not as smacking of it as me. 

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/30/06 at 7:17 pm

I also agree with this, however I don't think not being at the peak of a generation means you're partially of another gen.  Take this for instance: if a 1987 was a 20 oz bottle of Coke, a 1993er would be a 16 oz bottle of Coke, not 16 ounces of coke mixed with 4 oz of 7up.  Less Y, but still purely Y.  That's not to say a 1993er wouldn't have a few Zish tendencies, of course they would, as my best friend born in '93 seems too, but he's still 100% Y, just not as smacking of it as me. 

I agree with this too. 1993ers to me still seem to be very Y. Maybe a little off the peak but still very Y. 1994ers-1996ers though seem to be in a very different catagory to me although surely not Gen Z yet. That's why I still say 1994-1997 or maybe up to 2000 is transitional.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/30/06 at 7:20 pm

I agree with this too. 1993ers to me still seem to be very Y. Maybe a little off the peak but still very Y. 1994ers-1996ers though seem to be in a very different catagory to me although surely not Gen Z yet. That's why I still say 1994-1997 or maybe up to 2000 is transitional.

Yeah, 1993 to 1994 is a huge jump.  Mostly because a 1993er would not be born with an iPod in their ears, whereas a 1994er would be damn close.  Also, a 1993er's earliest memories would come from 1996, which isn't that much different a year than 1993 in terms of zeitgeist.  I'd say 1994-2001 make up the Echo Buster transitional, although I think 1995 is the last year that's "officially" Gen Y.  Straight-up Generation Z is more like 2002 upwards.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/30/06 at 7:25 pm

Yeah, 1993 to 1994 is a huge jump.  Mostly because a 1993er would not be born with an iPod in their ears, whereas a 1994er would be damn close.

I wonder what the years you would be born in to be "born with an ipod in your ears?" I'd say anyone born about 1995+ would probably be in that catogory.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/31/06 at 1:14 am

I wonder what the years you would be born in to be "born with an ipod in your ears?" I'd say anyone born about 1995+ would probably be in that catogory.

Sounds right to me.  Of course, technically a 1995er would have been 6 when the iPod came out, you could more or less say they grew up with that sort of technology.

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/31/06 at 2:13 am

I don't know if many 6 year olds had ipods  ???, be a bit delicate for their hands. I do think, however, ipods, music-sharing.etc has exposed more youngsters to music than they otherwise be. In the 90s, most kids didn't start listening to music til' they were about 12 or so (me, for instance).

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/31/06 at 11:44 am

I don't know if many 6 year olds had ipods  ???, be a bit delicate for their hands. I do think, however, ipods, music-sharing.etc has exposed more youngsters to music than they otherwise be. In the 90s, most kids didn't start listening to music til' they were about 12 or so (me, for instance).

True, but what I meant was that someone born in 1995 would have probably not know a time before the ipod.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/31/06 at 12:42 pm

Which is the reason I don't consider a 1995er Gen Y...

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/01/06 at 10:19 pm

Which is the reason I don't consider a 1995er Gen Y...

That's a good point.  They're not especially transitional at all when it comes to digitality, at least in North America.  Again, though, they're not quite Gen Z imo ... they're as much on the page of us 1990ers as they are on someone who was born yesterday.  I would call them the Echo Busters, the 1995-2001 generation, maybe 1994 also, they're kind of a subgeneration, not honest-to-God Generation Z, because they would at least be alive in the 20th century/pre-9/11 times, but not truly Gen Y because they don't have the transitional experience us born before 1994ish do.  Straight up, mid-2010s to 2020s Gen Z imo doesn't start until 2002ish.  The 1995-2001 cohort I think will prove to be a transitional, more Z-like, but definitely somewhere between, I'm just not sure where exactly it will be between.  They're probably overall more Z than Y because they're a reflection of the Echo Busters which are more Gen X than Boomer.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/01/06 at 11:37 pm

That's a good point.  They're not especially transitional at all when it comes to digitality, at least in North America.  Again, though, they're not quite Gen Z imo ... they're as much on the page of us 1990ers as they are on someone who was born yesterday.  I would call them the Echo Busters, the 1995-2001 generation, maybe 1994 also, they're kind of a subgeneration, not honest-to-God Generation Z, because they would at least be alive in the 20th century/pre-9/11 times, but not truly Gen Y because they don't have the transitional experience us born before 1994ish do.  Straight up, mid-2010s to 2020s Gen Z imo doesn't start until 2002ish.  The 1995-2001 cohort I think will prove to be a transitional, more Z-like, but definitely somewhere between, I'm just not sure where exactly it will be between.  They're probably overall more Z than Y because they're a reflection of the Echo Busters which are more Gen X than Boomer.

I think even through Gen Z they'll be sort of Gen Y, 20th-century like, it'll be the Gen AA people who are so removed from say the boomers and Xers.

IMO:

More Y than X-

1981-1994

More Z than Y-

1995-2001

Probably really straight up Gen Z will be people born like 2002-2006 from the late 2010s and early 2020s, they'll be the Gen Z bratpack.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/01/06 at 11:41 pm

Yeah, the brats being born now are going to be the peak of Z.  1995-2001 is early-wave Z, and these kids will probably identify with their older Y siblings more and more as time goes now.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/01/06 at 11:44 pm

Yeah, the brats being born now are going to be the peak of Z.  1995-2001 is early-wave Z, and these kids will probably identify with their older Y siblings more and more as time goes now.

That, or they'll go the way of X and start pushing the boundaries of their birth earlier and earlier, not wanting to be associated at all with Y. But I think during the 2010s 1995-2001 will consider themselves early wave Z and despise most things associated with Y.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/01/06 at 11:48 pm

That, or they'll go the way of X and start pushing the boundaries of their birth earlier and earlier, not wanting to be associated at all with Y. But I think during the 2010s 1995-2001 will consider themselves early wave Z and despise most things associated with Y.

Oh for sure.  I see it this way: if you were 10 or older in 2004, you're old enough to be caught up in Y culture (very, very generally).  A 1995er wouldn't really get into popular culture until 2005-2009, and would be quick to abandon it for the 2010s culture.

It all really depends on whether the 2010s are Z dominated or split between Y and Z.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/01/06 at 11:49 pm

Oh for sure.  I see it this way: if you were 10 or older in 2004, you're old enough to be caught up in Y culture (very, very generally).  A 1995er wouldn't really get into popular culture until 2005-2009, and would be quick to abandon it for the 2010s culture.

It all really depends on whether the 2010s are Z dominated or split between Y and Z.

I think they'll be dominated by mid-late '90s people, who will probably be more Z than Y, and in adult culture by more "anti-Y" Y people born c. 1989 to 1994. Not including people who were old enough to get into the adult hipster or fratboy cultures of 2004.

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/01/06 at 11:51 pm

I think 1995 is still gen y, probably the last actual gen y year. I'm thinking 1980-1995 for gen y now, and 1964-1979 for gen x.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/01/06 at 11:53 pm

I think they'll be dominated by mid-late '90s people, who will probably be more Z than Y, and in adult culture by more "anti-Y" Y people born c. 1989 to 1994. Not including people who were old enough to get into the adult hipster or fratboy cultures of 2004.

I kind of think I will be too old for the 2010s culture.  But yeah, I think like the 1993-2002 span will be the people that own the decade, so it will be YZ but leaning on Z, like the '90s was XY but leaning on X.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/01/06 at 11:53 pm

I think 1995 is still gen y, probably the last actual gen y year. I'm thinking 1980-1995 for gen y now, and 1964-1979 for gen x.

I'm a fan of 1981-1996. Somehow it just seems right. 

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/01/06 at 11:55 pm

The 1979ers who I've met seem like either the very tail end of X or the very beginning of Y...like they're old enough to remember and totally understand the '80s (or the "very '80s" part of it, anyway), but they're after the time of Human League and feel more at home in the '90s. But I think most of them seem to think of themselves as XYish, like they're waaay after the time of the brat pack, but are just before you could really be considered Y. 

I'm a fan of 1980-1994.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/01/06 at 11:57 pm

The 1979ers who I've met seem like either the very tail end of X or the very beginning of Y...like they're old enough to remember and totally understand the '80s (or the "very '80s" part of it, anyway), but they're after the time of Human League and feel more at home in the '90s. But I think most of them seem to think of themselves as XYish, like they're waaay after the time of the brat pack, but are just before you could really be considered Y. 

I'm a fan of 1980-1994.

I tend to think of them as being more Gen X, because the entire Y generation is culturally similar to X and IMO that means the fringe should go to X. That's why I begin X at 1981, maybe even 1982; IMO being Y means you were a little kid for at least some of the '90s.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/01/06 at 11:58 pm

I kind of think I will be too old for the 2010s culture.  But yeah, I think like the 1993-2002 span will be the people that own the decade, so it will be YZ but leaning on Z, like the '90s was XY but leaning on X.

Yeah, it will be a mostly Z decade with some late Y stuff at the beginning. But I still hold that 1995ers will probably turn out more Z and despise what they perceive as the Y 2000s and late '90s.

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/02/06 at 12:02 am

Yeah, it will be a mostly Z decade with some late Y stuff at the beginning. But I still hold that 1995ers will probably turn out more Z and despise what they perceive as the Y 2000s and late '90s.

We'll see I guess, let's say gen y culture ends in 2012 or so. A 1995er is already 17, they've definitely developed their tastes by then. If gen y culture ends earlier though like 2010 then it may be debateable.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/02/06 at 12:04 am

We'll see I guess, let's say gen y culture ends in 2012 or so. A 1995er is already 17, they've definitely developed their tastes by then. If gen y culture ends earlier though like 2010 then it may be debateable.

Even then though, Gen X culture really began in 1983 or so, and a 1964er is considered Gen X. I think people who are 18 when the culture begins are the earliest people of it.

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/02/06 at 12:10 am

Even then though, Gen X culture really began in 1983 or so, and a 1964er is considered Gen X. I think people who are 18 when the culture begins are the earliest people of it.

1964 is debateable gen x, most sources still say 1965 for gen x, but I do think that it can be included under x depending on the individual. It's not set in stone Gen x though.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/02/06 at 12:14 am

1964 is debateable gen x, most sources still say 1965 for gen x, but I do think that it can be included under x depending on the individual. It's not set in stone Gen x though.

Alot of "Gen X" websites adamantly include it in Gen X, though...I think 1995 is like 1964 in that it's not set in stone Gen Z, but it can get pretty Z.

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/02/06 at 12:20 am

Alot of "Gen X" websites adamantly include it in Gen X, though...I think 1995 is like 1964 in that it's not set in stone Gen Z, but it can get pretty Z.

Well it is one of those "transition" years that is debateable so that's too be expected.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/02/06 at 12:29 am

Well, I can easily see there being a 2000s backlash in the '10s, so I'm sure that'll go with Gen Zers not wanting to be associated with Y. However, do you think they'll be more open to embracing their Gen X parents' culture? I think that has been more common for awhile, and will continue to be.

For instance, one reason the '70s has been the retro cool decade for so long now is 'cause, I believe, '70s teens (i.e. born 1959ish) tend to be the parents of kids/teens for awhile. That was kind of the first "modern/new" decade, and tons of them partied and smoked weed, so perhaps more of their kids saw them as cool. Also, to reverse it, probably because the parents were relatively wild, they're a little more reluctant to discipline their kids for doing the same things they did.

(BTW, I guess you could make an argument that, roughly 1937+ born people could at least have related to their kids in the youth culture/rock and roll aspect. And a typical 1937er would've been the parent of a teen around the early 80s. That's another reason the MTV era really doesn't seem "old" now either. Far less of an immediate generation gap. Not like a 1945 born teenager and their 1915 born parents.)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/02/06 at 12:39 am

Well, I can easily see there being a 2000s backlash in the '10s, so I'm sure that'll go with Gen Zers not wanting to be associated with Y. However, do you think they'll be more open to embracing their Gen X parents' culture? I think that has been more common for awhile, and will continue to be.

For instance, one reason the '70s has been the retro cool decade for so long now is 'cause, I believe, '70s teens (i.e. born 1959ish) tend to be the parents of kids/teens for awhile. That was kind of the first "modern/new" decade, and tons of them partied and smoked weed, so perhaps more of their kids saw them as cool. Also, to reverse it, probably because the parents were relatively wild, they're a little more reluctant to discipline their kids for doing the same things they did.

(BTW, I guess you could make an argument that, roughly 1937+ born people could at least have related to their kids in the youth culture/rock and roll aspect. And a typical 1937er would've been the parent of a teen around the early 80s. That's another reason the MTV era really doesn't seem "old" now either. Far less of an immediate generation gap. Not like a 1945 born teenager and their 1915 born parents.)

However, what we must ask is are those who are going to create the '10s really the next generation, or just the end of Y?  After all, the early-mid '90s culture, while very anti-'80s was created primarily by latter Gen Xers. I'm almost sure this decade will become dated though, although I definitely think certain aspects of it (and also the '90s I hate to say) will stick around through the 2010s just because the world's a little different now.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/02/06 at 12:47 am

However, what we must ask is are those who are going to create the '10s really the next generation, or just the end of Y?  After all, the early-mid '90s culture, while very anti-'80s was created primarily by latter Gen Xers. I'm almost sure this decade will become dated though, although I definitely think certain aspects of it (and also the '90s I hate to say) will stick around through the 2010s just because the world's a little different now.

Good point. I've said it before, but I find it a true irony (and heck, even I get a kick out of it sometimes!) that the average 1968er Brat Pack/pure '80s teen tends to dislike '90s culture, yet they were the same age as those who were responsible for it (Cobain was a 1967er). ;D

So perhaps it could be the same thing here. If, let's say 1989ers are largely responsible for "creating" the '10s culture, the average 1989er would probably find themselves too old for it. Or maybe it'll be something totally different, since I think, as a whole teens and the culture in general is getting less trendy.

I know we've all gone into it before, but the idea that nine year old clothes and music (from 1997) is still semi cool and acceptable today, would be unheard of in the past. No one would've dared think that way about 1977 in 1986.

I think the '10s will be partly a new generation, and partly another '90s/00s, both for the same reason that I described above, actually. 

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/02/06 at 12:50 am

Good point. I've said it before, but I find it a true irony (and heck, even I get a kick out of it sometimes!) that the average 1968er Brat Pack/pure '80s teen tends to dislike '90s culture, yet they were the same age as those who were responsible for it (Cobain was a 1967er). ;D

So perhaps it could be the same thing here. If, let's say 1989ers are largely responsible for "creating" the '10s culture, the average 1989er would probably find themselves too old for it. Or maybe it'll be something totally different, since I think, as a whole teens and the culture in general is getting less trendy.

I know we've all gone into it before, but the idea that nine year old clothes and music (from 1997) is still semi cool and acceptable today, would be unheard of in the past. No one would've dared think that way about 1977 in 1986.

I think the '10s will be partly a new generation, and partly another '90s/00s, both for the same reason that I described above, actually. 

Yea I agree. Things have been slow to change in the last decade, there are differences but not as much as it used to be for a 10 year period.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/02/06 at 12:52 am

I know, isn't that odd? It almost saddens me that the Gen Xers are abandoning the '90s, which are really their decade as much as the '80s in many ways.

I don't think the '10s will be hugely different from the '00s or '90s.  I think they'll be a backlash againt the Zeroes, but I also think that the basic shape of popular culture that's been in place since about 1992 will be in place.  That is, music will still be a hip hop/r&b/teen pop/alt rock complex, TV will still be a sitcom/reality/law show/shocker construct and etc, even if the trends are totally different and the '90s seem like another era.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/02/06 at 12:59 am

I know, isn't that odd? It almost saddens me that the Gen Xers are abandoning the '90s, which are really their decade as much as the '80s in many ways.

I don't think the '10s will be hugely different from the '00s or '90s.  I think they'll be a backlash againt the Zeroes, but I also think that the basic shape of popular culture that's been in place since about 1992 will be in place.  That is, music will still be a hip hop/r&b/teen pop/alt rock complex, TV will still be a sitcom/reality/law show/shocker construct and etc, even if the trends are totally different and the '90s seem like another era.

I agree.

If one was to look at the 1964-97 "hot pop culture dominated" era, things tended to change every year or two. Well, from the way things are going now, the 1997+ era will probably be like every 4-5 years is when pop culture will shift, even closer to 10 for it to be noticeable.

So, on that note, I think it's not gonna be until the 2020s that things get way different from the '90s and '00s at least in the basic form you described. In the future, I'll bet the whole 1991-2020 era will be looked at as one huge era. Maybe 1982-2020 even.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/02/06 at 1:03 am

I agree.

If one was to look at the 1964-97 "hot pop culture dominated" era, things tended to change every year or two. Well, from the way things are going now, the 1997+ era will probably be like every 4-5 years is when pop culture will shift, even closer to 10 for it to be noticeable.

So, on that note, I think it's not gonna be until the 2020s that things get way different from the '90s and '00s at least in the basic form you described. In the future, I'll bet the whole 1991-2020 era will be looked at as one huge era. Maybe 1982-2020 even.

I think the current era, actually began in 1986.  That's when bands like a-ha started moving to alt-rock, and when hip hop and teen pop first really became a force.  It's also when "oldies" type music vanished for the most part.  It wasn't really full-fledged until the end of 1991, maybe even as late as the end of 1992.  I'd say 1986-2019 is more or less the current pop cultural era.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/02/06 at 1:07 am

I think the current era, actually began in 1986.  That's when bands like a-ha started moving to alt-rock, and when hip hop and teen pop first really became a force.  It's also when "oldies" type music vanished for the most part.  It wasn't really full-fledged until the end of 1991, maybe even as late as the end of 1992.  I'd say 1986-2019 is more or less the current pop cultural era.

True. I'm always tempted to draw the line at 1991ish, just because it's when Grunge hit, but yeah, the very first traces of the '90s were probably 1986 or '87. Rap became more commercial (think Aerosmith and Run DMC's "Walk This Way" remake, or the Beastie Boys) and the first wave of teen pop started catching on.

CD's also exploded in '86, as did remote control TVs - I believe '86 was the last year non remote TVs (i.e. the huge silver knobs/antenna ones ;D ) were manufactured.

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/02/06 at 1:10 am

Yea I also agree.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/02/06 at 1:18 am

True. I'm always tempted to draw the line at 1991ish, just because it's when Grunge hit, but yeah, the very first traces of the '90s were probably 1986 or '87. Rap became more commercial (think Aerosmith and Run DMC's "Walk This Way" remake, or the Beastie Boys) and the first wave of teen pop started catching on.

CD's also exploded in '86, as did remote control TVs - I believe '86 was the last year non remote TVs (i.e. the huge silver knobs/antenna ones ;D ) were manufactured.

I would divide the "modern" popular culture epochs this way (musically anyway, since music is the core and mirror of popular culture):

Fall 1986 - August 1991: The "Late Eighties" - first wave teen pop, new jack swing, old school east coast hip hop, hair metal, early alternative rock, adult contemp, late synth pop, club
September 1991 - some point in 1994: The "Early Nineties" - old school hip hop, gangsta rap, R&B/new jack swing, "true" Grunge, alternative rock, adult contemp, country, dance
c. 1995 - July 1997 - The "Mid Nineties" - Gangsta rap, earliest bling/glam rap, R&B, early post-grunge, first-wave ska, first neo-wave, grunge pop
August 1997 - September 10, 2001 - The "Late Nineties" - Second wave teen pop, pop rap, Eminem, nu metal, rap metal, country-pop, adult contemp, Latin explosion, techno/rave, final cry of Grunge
September 11, 2001 - Spring 2004 - The "Early Zeroes" - Dirrrrty pop, glam rap, late nu metal, R&B, emo, second neo-wave
Summer 2004 - present - The "Mid Zeroes" - Dirrrty pop, glam rap, emo, adult contemp, R&B, crunk

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/02/06 at 1:21 am

That's third wave, not first wave ska.  ;)

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/02/06 at 1:23 am

^ Can't argue with that a bit. Sounds pretty accurate to me. The mid '00s hasn't seen a whole lot of new trends, but some of it even from 2002ish has noticeably faded away (i.e. what would you call Vanessa Carlton/Michelle Branch type music? I think that has passed its peak).

I think late 1981-mid 1986 is very iffy with "modern" (i.e. late '86+) and "oldies" (i.e. pre-1979). In a way, since it was the peak '80s, I can't see it as old, but it was a teeny bit before CDs and alot of digital technology. It seems alot more "classic" now. Not old, but classic. The music still sounds like it's far from oldies.

Also, for instance, a 1983 car looks a bit older on the road, but a 1989 car doesn't. IMO.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/02/06 at 1:25 am

^ Can't argue with that a bit. Sounds pretty accurate to me. The mid '00s hasn't seen a whole lot of new trends, but some of it even from 2002ish has noticeably faded away (i.e. what would you call Vanessa Carlton/Michelle Branch type music? I think that has passed its peak).

Also, I think late 1981-mid 1986 is very iffy with "modern" (i.e. late '86+) and "oldies" (i.e. pre-1979). In a way, since it was the peak '80s, I can't see it as old, but it was a teeny bit before CDs and alot of digital technology. It seems alot more "classic" now. Not old, but classic.

For instance, a 1983 car looks a bit older on the road, but a 1989 car doesn't. IMO.

I think 1986 is when we technologically entered the 21st Century, as shown by the computers and the like, and also by the fact that CDs were really breaking out.  As for Michelle Brance-type stuff, I'd say it's somewhere between adult contemp, teen pop/American Idol and Alanis Morrisette grunge pop; even Avril isn't really around anymore.  That's a very early '00s thing.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/02/06 at 1:30 am

^Yeah, people were touting Avril as the next big thing around 2002/03. I heard her songs on the radio all the time. Now, she seems to be basically forgotten. Even her following album basically seemed to fizzle in comparison.

I agree the late '80s were PC-dominated, even if the Internet as a household name was still several years away. We had 'em in school for basic work, or for games, etc.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/02/06 at 1:35 am

^Yeah, people were touting Avril as the next big thing around 2002/03. I heard her songs on the radio all the time. Now, she seems to be basically forgotten. Even her following album basically seemed to fizzle in comparison.

I agree the late '80s were PC-dominated, even if the Internet as a household name was still several years away. We had 'em in school for basic work, or for games, etc.

I actually consider 1996 the real breakout year for the Internet.  It was probably a name by 1993 or 1994, and a whisper by 1991/1992, but 1996 I think is really when it started to become ubuitiquous.  Not like it's been since 1999 or 2000, but it was used by kids, etc. by then.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/02/06 at 1:50 am

I actually consider 1996 the real breakout year for the Internet.  It was probably a name by 1993 or 1994, and a whisper by 1991/1992, but 1996 I think is really when it started to become ubuitiquous.  Not like it's been since 1999 or 2000, but it was used by kids, etc. by then.

That was the first year I used it and got acquainted with it, so I agree (I'd heard about it in the latter half of '95, which was also when commercials began putting WWW's on the screen) but I wasn't 100% sure how it worked.

I think it became household by 1998 and essential by 2001.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/02/06 at 1:52 am

That was the first year I used it and got acquainted with it, so I agree (I'd heard about it in the latter half of '95, which was also when commercials began putting WWW's on the screen) but I wasn't 100% sure how it worked.

I think it became household by 1998 and essential by 2001.

Sounds right to me. I'd say 1998 is when digitality really became everywhere, because it began to overtake camera film and the DVD was beginning to break out slowly by then.  2001 is when it became like TV essential.

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/02/06 at 1:53 am

I'd agree with 1996 as well, that was the first full year for me online. I actually first got it in late 1995 or so.

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/02/06 at 1:56 am

Sounds right to me. I'd say 1998 is when digitality really became everywhere, because it began to overtake camera film and the DVD was beginning to break out slowly by then.  2001 is when it became like TV essential.

That's about right, digital cameras were kind of crappy and more for e-mail use rather than prints then 35 mm still was better for prints until the 3+ megapixel cameras became affordable around 2001.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/02/06 at 11:36 am

I think 1983-2019 is more or less the current pop cultural era. Though there were alot of ways in which the '80s, particularly the early '80s, seems very old-fashioned today, when you look at the way that artists like Prince, Madonna, Michael Jackson, Cyndi Lauper, et. al. were promoted and worked, and their image, if you tweaked it somewhat and tweaked the way their music was made and organized, it could be very successful today. Like Madonna's True Blue and Like a Prayer CDs sound like they could have been practically put out today. Also, the whole "old rock and roll" culture of 1955-1982 ended sometime in the mid-'80s, rap started being noticeable around 1983, etc. But stuff from the late '80s seems pretty current, as Marty said, like stuff like Milli Vanilli, alt rock, and Whitney Houston from then isn't all that far removed from what's popular today.

In retrospect I see Vanessa Carlton and Avril Lavigne, artists who were huge around 2002, as the last hurrah of "angry young woman" grunge pop and A/C alternapop like Sarah MacLachlan, Alanis Morisette,  Natalie Imbruglia, Lisa Loeb, etc. It's that stuff conformed to the perspective of an aging teenybopper by making it less adult and adding heavy doses of teenybopper pop, and now that whole genre is essentially disappeared. They're sort of a '90slike '00s thing, like Guns N' Roses is a '90s thing that's pretty '80slike.

I think the reason pop culture is more slowly changing now is that we've reverted to the pre-1956 model of slowly but noticeably changing culture. The whole big youth rebellion of the rock n' roll, 1956-1982 pop culture was an abnormal shake-up that caused more quickly changing fashions. Now, we're more normalized again.

I think the early 2010s will start Gen Z culture. Probably 1997-2011 will be seen as the "Gen Y" period, our time to shine will already have been over by 2012 or so. Gen X culture started in 1982 or so as such, really, and their time to shine wasn't over until 1997ish probably, fitting roughly with the length of their generation. Our time to shine as Gen Yers will be over by 2012.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/02/06 at 5:50 pm

I think 1983-2019 is more or less the current pop cultural era. Though there were alot of ways in which the '80s, particularly the early '80s, seems very old-fashioned today, when you look at the way that artists like Prince, Madonna, Michael Jackson, Cyndi Lauper, et. al. were promoted and worked, and their image, if you tweaked it somewhat and tweaked the way their music was made and organized, it could be very successful today. Like Madonna's True Blue and Like a Prayer CDs sound like they could have been practically put out today. Also, the whole "old rock and roll" culture of 1955-1982 ended sometime in the mid-'80s, rap started being noticeable around 1983, etc. But stuff from the late '80s seems pretty current, as Marty said, like stuff like Milli Vanilli, alt rock, and Whitney Houston from then isn't all that far removed from what's popular today.

In retrospect I see Vanessa Carlton and Avril Lavigne, artists who were huge around 2002, as the last hurrah of "angry young woman" grunge pop and A/C alternapop like Sarah MacLachlan, Alanis Morisette,  Natalie Imbruglia, Lisa Loeb, etc. It's that stuff conformed to the perspective of an aging teenybopper by making it less adult and adding heavy doses of teenybopper pop, and now that whole genre is essentially disappeared. They're sort of a '90slike '00s thing, like Guns N' Roses is a '90s thing that's pretty '80slike.

I think the reason pop culture is more slowly changing now is that we've reverted to the pre-1956 model of slowly but noticeably changing culture. The whole big youth rebellion of the rock n' roll, 1956-1982 pop culture was an abnormal shake-up that caused more quickly changing fashions. Now, we're more normalized again.

I think the early 2010s will start Gen Z culture. Probably 1997-2011 will be seen as the "Gen Y" period, our time to shine will already have been over by 2012 or so. Gen X culture started in 1982 or so as such, really, and their time to shine wasn't over until 1997ish probably, fitting roughly with the length of their generation. Our time to shine as Gen Yers will be over by 2012.

I agree with 2012, when the world ends, so will Gen Y  ;D

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/02/06 at 5:53 pm

I agree with 2012, when the world ends, so will Gen Y  ;D

The perfect end for the perfect generation. ;D

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/02/06 at 5:53 pm

;D

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/04/06 at 9:31 am

Or the very pits of pop culture...that the great time continuum of pop-culture society simply malfunctioned because of the sheer crapiness of our music, fashoin.etc and decided to self-destruct when it saw people wearing their jeans halfway down their arses.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/04/06 at 12:41 pm

Or the very pits of pop culture...that the great time continuum of pop-culture society simply malfunctioned because of the sheer crapiness of our music, fashoin.etc and decided to self-destruct when it saw people wearing their jeans halfway down their arses.

;D

Written By: annonymouse on 04/08/06 at 7:33 pm

i was born in 93

1. How far back can you remember? i can remember as far back as my third birthday.

2. Do you have a VCR?  yep

3. Do you consider yourself Gen Y or Gen Z? ummmm... huh?

4. Do you like rap?  heck no, hate it.

5. Do you like emo?  ummmm...  no!

6. Do you listen to music? occasionally

7. Do you watch TV, not counting cartoons? yeah, vh1, history channel, sometimes the news. not much mtv. a little to obnoxious.

8. Do you remember September 11 (when the planes crashed into the buildings) yep. i came home and saw it on my tv. i asked my mom about it and she told me what ha'd happened.

9. Name our president (if you're American) dumbass george w. bush

10. Do you have an iPod? nope, i have a psp (playstation portable= mp3, video player, internet browser, and video games)

Written By: annonymouse on 04/08/06 at 7:38 pm

what is gen y and gen z?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/08/06 at 9:10 pm

what is gen y and gen z?

Gen Y is the youth generation of the late '90s and '00s.  Gen Z is the gen after that.

Written By: annonymouse on 04/08/06 at 9:12 pm

oh ok thankz.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/08/06 at 9:14 pm

oh ok thankz.

You're welcome. :)

So which are you?

Written By: annonymouse on 04/08/06 at 9:22 pm

not really sure. still don't get the concept. i'm a slow learner. ;D

Written By: KKay on 04/08/06 at 9:33 pm

93-96?!
You're old enough to read and type?!

KK
(1965)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/08/06 at 10:22 pm

Donnie Darko (1990)

Okay, so I'm a little older  ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/09/06 at 5:24 pm

93-96?!
You're old enough to read and type?!

KK
(1965)

Not sure if that's meant as a joke or not. But, assuming it's not, I learned to type when I was around 6 or 7 (there were typewriters at my parents' office. It wasn't hard or anything, I basically did it to print up tape covers and such). ;) And I'd assume any kid past age 4 knows how to read.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/09/06 at 5:27 pm

Gen Y is the youth generation of the late '90s and '00s.  Gen Z is the gen after that.

They're not really official names or anything, but they're common terms on the board.

Of course the debate could go on, but generally, "Gen Y" is considered roughly people born 1981 or '82 up to 1995ish. I'd say "Gen Z" starts for sure around 1997. A good fator for being "Y" is remembering some '90s stuff.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/09/06 at 6:00 pm

They're not really official names or anything, but they're common terms on the board.

Of course the debate could go on, but generally, "Gen Y" is considered roughly people born 1981 or '82 up to 1995ish. I'd say "Gen Z" starts for sure around 1997. A good fator for being "Y" is remembering some '90s stuff.

I define a Gen Yer as someone who was in the single digits during the '90s and can remember at least a tiny bit of them, but would not be old enough to fully experience the '80s and would not feel out of touch with the '00s.  I'd say it's about 1981 to 1996, basically, if you're Britney Spears' age or younger, and at least 10 years old now I'd say you're a Yer.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/09/06 at 6:14 pm

I define a Gen Yer as someone who was in the single digits during the '90s and can remember at least a tiny bit of them, but would not be old enough to fully experience the '80s and would not feel out of touch with the '00s.  I'd say it's about 1981 to 1996, basically, if you're Britney Spears' age or younger, and at least 10 years old now I'd say you're a Yer.

Britney is almost exactly my age - 3 months younger if I recall. ;)

Even though as more time passes, I'm vaguely nostalgic for her stuff (well, I'll admit, I always thought she was hot, but I like her music now more than 5 or 6 years ago), I sometimes felt like she was a different era to me. But, on the other hand, one of my friends who was born in April of '81, and who graduated a year ahead of me, almost felt like a different year, too. It's hard to describe, but even at the time, I viewed him as more of a little '80er, rather than a big '82er.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/09/06 at 9:16 pm

A true blue Gen Yer to me is somebody to whom-

-The '80s seem distant, they couldn't have been more than in the single digits during them really. But they don't seem untenably old school.
-They remember stuff from the '90s pretty well, more than just a "little bit of it." Like the last pure Gen Yers remember ideally stuff from 1995-1998. And the '90s certainly aren't old school.
-They experienced the '00s and fully understood and were impacted by 9/11, more than just as one bad day.
-They remember the transition to digital technology.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/09/06 at 9:39 pm

A true blue Gen Yer to me is somebody to whom-

-The '80s seem distant, they couldn't have been more than in the single digits during them really. But they don't seem untenably old school.
-They remember stuff from the '90s pretty well, more than just a "little bit of it." Like the last pure Gen Yers remember ideally stuff from 1995-1998. And the '90s certainly aren't old school.
-They experienced the '00s and fully understood and were impacted by 9/11, more than just as one bad day.
-They remember the transition to digital technology.

These are good criteria, but I think this would more be criteria for being a peak Gen Yer.  I think there are bona fide Gen Yers toward the X side (1981-1983) and toward the Z side (1993-1995) who wouldn't quite fit this criteria, but are still in early way (fringy) Gen Y.  But I agree with you for the most part.

Here's my criterion:

-The '80s are at best a distant, little kid memory, and at least being born a handful of years after they ended.
-The '90s are back in the day, but most certainly a part of their time and not "retro" because of their strong influence on the '00s.
-You experienced the '00s from start to end, and remembered hearing about 9/11 (here's my main and really only disagreement - in my opinion, you'd simply have to remember it at all to be a Y.  Those who remember it like yesterday are peak Gen Yers, but those who only remember it a little are our youngest members, not the oldest Gen Zers.  It doesn't make sense to me to say the people who barely remember it are in the same camp as people who can't remember it at all.
-You remember before the world was totally wired and digitalized, this really depends where you live. In the US I'd draw the line at 1998.  To remember the entire transition, you'd have to be a Gen Xer, but to at least be able to appreciate it you'd have to be born in 1992 or 1993 at latest.  Thus I'd say to be Gen Y one must be a tiny bit transitional, at the least.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/10/06 at 2:48 pm

Generation Y(1981-1996)
-early(1981-1984)
-peak(1984-1990)
-late(1991-1996)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/10/06 at 3:03 pm

Generation Y(1981-1996)
-early(1981-1984)
-peak(1984-1990)
-late(1991-1996)

I'd agree with that 100%.  Would you say early Y is 1981-1988 and late 1989-1996, if you're using a two-part model?  I'd say 1988 is the absolute peak.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/10/06 at 3:30 pm

Donnie: in another post didn't you say you thought Gen Z started in 1995, the one about whether the 2010s will be Y or Z?

My main disagreement is with remembering 9/11. I know you want to make Gen Y longer. But there's a difference between remembering something "vaguely", like you heard about it and have a vague memory of it, and understanding the impact of it at the time. If you don't understand the full impact of it, it means little more than a bad day on CNN and won't have the same impact on making you Y.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/10/06 at 3:38 pm

Donnie: in another post didn't you say you thought Gen Z started in 1995, the one about whether the 2010s will be Y or Z?

My main disagreement is with remembering 9/11. I know you want to make Gen Y longer. But there's a difference between remembering something "vaguely", like you heard about it and have a vague memory of it, and understanding the impact of it at the time. If you don't understand the full impact of it, it means little more than a bad day on CNN and won't have the same impact on making you Y.

I think 1995 is the earliest that Z starts; but I'm leaning more to 1996 or 1997 as the beginning.

Anyway though, the reason I don't consider 1995ers and 1996ers Z for 9/11 is because they would at least remember it and probably get it a little bit.  If you can barely remember it, it's mean you're among the youngest in the camp that remembers that day first-hand, not in with those who don't remember it at all.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/10/06 at 3:42 pm

I think 1995 is the earliest that Z starts; but I'm leaning more to 1996 or 1997 as the beginning.

Anyway though, the reason I don't consider 1995ers and 1996ers Z for 9/11 is because they would at least remember it and probably get it a little bit.  If you can barely remember it, it's mean you're among the youngest in the camp that remembers that day first-hand, not in with those who don't remember it at all.

But how much does it mean if it's like history since you only fully learned about the impact later and you couldn't recognize its impact on your life, exactly? That's like saying I fully got the impact of the 1996 election. I just knew it was happening and one was the bad man and one was the good man.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/10/06 at 3:43 pm

But how much does it mean if it's like history since you only fully learned about the impact later and you couldn't recognize its impact on your life, exactly? That's like saying I fully got the impact of the 1996 election. I just knew it was happening and one was the bad man and one was the good man.

I think it would be pretty impossible not to know what was going on.  Many if not most 10 year olds would understand that there was funky stuff in the White House, Iraq, etc.  You probably wouldn't immediately get it, but you would definitely realize in the following years what it meant.

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/10/06 at 3:58 pm

I really don't think a full understanding of 9/11 is necessarily required to be part of gen y. Is it really worth arguing over 1 or 2 years here, lol. Come on. Nobody will ever agree on this generation crap. Is there much of a difference between someone born in 1995 and 1996?, NOOOO there isn't.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/10/06 at 4:02 pm

I really don't think a full understanding of 9/11 is necessarily required to be part of gen y. Is it really worth arguing over 1 or 2 years here, lol. Come on. Nobody will ever agree on this generation crap. Is there much of a difference between someone born in 1995 and 1996?, NOOOO there isn't.

I agree. I don't think a full understanding is needed, you should just remember it at all. If it's vague, you're a younger Y, not an older Z.  But yeah, it's only a couple of years, so we're really wasting our time  ;)

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/10/06 at 4:04 pm

I think it would be pretty impossible not to know what was going on.  Many if not most 10 year olds would understand that there was funky stuff in the White House, Iraq, etc.  You probably wouldn't immediately get it, but you would definitely realize in the following years what it meant.

Yeah, a 10 year old would. But probably not a 6 year old.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/10/06 at 4:07 pm

Yeah, a 10 year old would. But probably not a 6 year old.

What I mean is the 10 year old of today would get 9/11 in hindsight because of the changes it caused.  Some 6 year olds are pretty smart too; you'd be surprised.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/10/06 at 4:09 pm

What I mean is the 10 year old of today would get 9/11 in hindsight because of the changes it caused.  Some 6 year olds are pretty smart too; you'd be surprised.

Meh, it's not worth the argument. We all agree that Z will start 1995-1996.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/10/06 at 4:12 pm

Yeah, it's somewhere around 1996.  After all, a generation is defined by the people using the term, so it could really be almost anything.

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/10/06 at 4:14 pm

generally '80s up till about mid '90s.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/10/06 at 4:17 pm

generally '80s up till about mid '90s.

The very earlist definitions I'd say is 1975-1989 and the very latest 1986-2006, but 1980-1995 is probably about the average definition.  A lot of people include all of the '90s, but I don't think someone born in 1998 is Gen Y at all.  They can't even remember Y2K, and would have spent their formative years in the Iraq War/George Bush era.  But they would remember the '00s well, so I guess up to 2001 you could say is partially Y.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/10/06 at 5:26 pm

The very earlist definitions I'd say is 1975-1989 and the very latest 1986-2006, but 1980-1995 is probably about the average definition.  A lot of people include all of the '90s, but I don't think someone born in 1998 is Gen Y at all.  They can't even remember Y2K, and would have spent their formative years in the Iraq War/George Bush era.  But they would remember the '00s well, so I guess up to 2001 you could say is partially Y.

I think however a kid would experience this decade pretty differently...no iPods, glam rap, emo, etc. Enough to get the feel of it and understand it though if they're born up to 2001. Like I feel like I still have some X in me, honestly, because I remember the '90s and get the '80s pretty well.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/10/06 at 5:33 pm

I think however a kid would experience this decade pretty differently...no iPods, glam rap, emo, etc. Enough to get the feel of it and understand it though if they're born up to 2001. Like I feel like I still have some X in me, honestly, because I remember the '90s and get the '80s pretty well.

I agree. I think the X influence goes up to about 1992.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/10/06 at 7:17 pm

I'd agree with that 100%.  Would you say early Y is 1981-1988 and late 1989-1996, if you're using a two-part model?  I'd say 1988 is the absolute peak.

Totally. A two part model would be IMO:
-early(1981-1988)
-late(1989-1995 or '96)

btw. The absolute peak of Gen Y IMO is about late 1987-late 1988.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/10/06 at 7:45 pm

Totally. A two part model would be IMO:
-early(1981-1988)
-late(1989-1995 or '96)

btw. The absolute peak of Gen Y IMO is about late 1987-late 1988.

Yeah, I agree...

Now, what do you think the absolute peak of the baby boomers is? I think the general peak is about 1952-1957 or 1958. These people are old enough to get the '50s and early '60s but not to have been a part of them culturally, remember the Kennedy Assassination and Vietnam War in the mid-'60s, but are too youngish to have been drafted for the Vietnam War or really have been involved in the anti-war protest scene, though they remember the '60s almost completely. They graduated high school about 1970-1976 and were possibly part of the late '70s disco party scene, and were the ultimate yuppies and creators of the echo boom. I think the absolute peak year is like 1955.

Peak, "brat pack" Generation X is like 1966-1972 or so. They're old enough to get the '70s or even have been somewhat into '70s culture, but don't remember anything about the '60s or very early '70s of import. This is the John Hughes bratpack who graduated 1984-1990 and were immersed in '80s culture as teenagers. These are also alot of the people who hated the '90s. I think 1968-1969 is the absolute peak. They turned thirteen when the '80s were really getting off the ground in 1982 and came of age around 1984-1985, when '80s culture was near its peak. They're just at the skim point of being too old for true '90s culture, for the most part, as a large group, and just young enough to feel like the '60s are waay ahead of their time.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/10/06 at 9:28 pm

Yeah, I agree...

Now, what do you think the absolute peak of the baby boomers is? I think the general peak is about 1952-1957 or 1958. These people are old enough to get the '50s and early '60s but not to have been a part of them culturally, remember the Kennedy Assassination and Vietnam War in the mid-'60s, but are too youngish to have been drafted for the Vietnam War or really have been involved in the anti-war protest scene, though they remember the '60s almost completely. They graduated high school about 1970-1976 and were possibly part of the late '70s disco party scene, and were the ultimate yuppies and creators of the echo boom. I think the absolute peak year is like 1955.

Peak, "brat pack" Generation X is like 1966-1972 or so. They're old enough to get the '70s or even have been somewhat into '70s culture, but don't remember anything about the '60s or very early '70s of import. This is the John Hughes bratpack who graduated 1984-1990 and were immersed in '80s culture as teenagers. These are also alot of the people who hated the '90s. I think 1968-1969 is the absolute peak. They turned thirteen when the '80s were really getting off the ground in 1982 and came of age around 1984-1985, when '80s culture was near its peak. They're just at the skim point of being too old for true '90s culture, for the most part, as a large group, and just young enough to feel like the '60s are waay ahead of their time.

Hmmm. I'd say peak X is 1966-1972, like you said.  Peak Boomer is like 1948-1957/'58, they are a very well-defined generation.  Peak Y is 1984-1990, peak Z will probably be like 1998-2004.

Written By: annonymouse on 04/10/06 at 9:33 pm

no matter what you change your name to, i will continue to call you "Donnie Darko"

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/10/06 at 9:35 pm

no matter what you change your name to, i will continue to call you "Donnie Darko"

Oh, it's just temporary, as a joke.  I will always be Donnie Darko, I AM Donnie Darko.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/10/06 at 9:36 pm

That's weird. I was just about the post something to the same effect.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/10/06 at 11:52 pm

Oh, it's just temporary, as a joke.  I will always be Donnie Darko, I AM Donnie Darko.

Yeah, one things for sure. There's only one Donnie Darko ;D

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/11/06 at 12:49 am

Yeah, one things for sure. There's only one Donnie Darko ;D

;D

Written By: the-micro-man on 12/11/07 at 3:25 pm

I was born in 1993-- though I don't really relate to the "mid 1990s" kids that well-- I consider 1993 more of an early '90s year, knowing kids my own age-- we get along with '91 and '92 kids better. I can't stand most 8th-Graders.

1. How far back can you remember? - My very earliest memories are from late '93 to 1994, but my first vivid memories are from 1995.
2. Do you have a VCR? - DURRRR, WHUTZ A VEECEEARE???
3. Do you consider yourself Gen Y or Gen Z? Generation Y
4. Do you like rap? I like early '90s hip-hop, but I can't stand modern rap music.
5. Do you like emo? No.
6. Do you listen to music? Who doesn't? I listen to 1970s - 1990s stuff-- much better than the current stuff.
7. Do you watch TV, not counting cartoons? Occasionally.
8. Do you remember September 11 (when the planes crashed into the buildings) Yeah, I was cracking jokes about it at age 8...
9. Name our president (if you're American) George W. Bastard.
10. Do you have an iPod? I hate i-Pods. Bring back the Walkmans! :-)

There you have it.

Written By: tv on 12/20/07 at 10:05 pm

Generation Y(1981-1996)
-early(1981-1984)
-peak(1984-1990)
-late(1991-1996)

I agree the 1991+ Yers are different from the 1984-1990 Yers. I don;t think the 1984-1990 Yers would be into musical acts T-Pain or Akon. I did notice music change in the mid portion of 2005 too probably because the late Yers(1991+) took over the music scene from the peak Yers(1984-1990.)

I think 1997 is the first year of Generation Z. My moms counsins daughter was born in 2002 or 2003 so she is a Generation Zer. I do wonder if she's into pop culture yet. I was into alot of Tv shows when I was younger pop culture wise (4 or 5 years old.)

Written By: Lee_Marsh on 12/24/07 at 7:12 pm

I'd be curious to ask somebody born in like 1998 about those things...from my observation, most kids I see walking home from elementary school in the afternoons when I'm walking around don't seem to have iPods, about 99%. The 1993ers seem to like current culture alot, and the 1994ers to some extent. Alot of my friends have much younger siblings, and maybe I'll ask one of our directors' kids when they come to rehearsal.

Are you kidding me?  Most kids these days hate current culture.  Atleast most of the kids I know. 

Written By: JohnDoe on 12/24/07 at 7:55 pm

I was born in 1993-- though I don't really relate to the "mid 1990s" kids that well-- I consider 1993 more of an early '90s year, knowing kids my own age-- we get along with '91 and '92 kids better. I can't stand most 8th-Graders.

1. How far back can you remember? - My very earliest memories are from late '93 to 1994, but my first vivid memories are from 1995.
2. Do you have a VCR? - DURRRR, WHUTZ A VEECEEARE???
3. Do you consider yourself Gen Y or Gen Z? Generation Y
4. Do you like rap? I like early '90s hip-hop, but I can't stand modern rap music.
5. Do you like emo? No.
6. Do you listen to music? Who doesn't? I listen to 1970s - 1990s stuff-- much better than the current stuff.
7. Do you watch TV, not counting cartoons? Occasionally.
8. Do you remember September 11 (when the planes crashed into the buildings) Yeah, I was cracking jokes about it at age 8...
9. Name our president (if you're American) George W. Bastard.
10. Do you have an iPod? I hate i-Pods. Bring back the Walkmans! :-)

There you have it.

And what "jokes" were there to crack about that?

Care to explain?...or is that foot lodged too tight in your mouth?

Written By: McDonald on 12/25/07 at 8:32 pm

And what "jokes" were there to crack about that?

Care to explain?...or is that foot lodged too tight in your mouth?

I can think of a lot of ironic 9/11 jokes. Not everyone carries around the same sacred cows. S/he doesn't have to explain anything. What are you a mod?

Written By: JohnDoe on 12/26/07 at 12:10 am

I can think of a lot of ironic 9/11 jokes. Not everyone carries around the same sacred cows. S/he doesn't have to explain anything. What are you a mod?

And judging by the Flags in your signature, you're not American, so your stance on 9/11 doesn't surprise me much.

I love how i'm the one here with morals, yet you come on here with your self righteous attitude that somehow you and that micro-man kid are justified in making jokes about a major tragedy that happened very recently.  And i'm more than sure there is some hidden agenda here with you all. Either you're happy about 9/11 because Americans were killed, or you're happy because New Yorkers were killed.  I can see right through you idiots, you can't fool me.

And who are these "jokes" supposed to humor? I doubt anyone who lost a family member on 9/11 would find any joke about their death "funny" or "comical"

(By the way, micro-man was 8 years old on 9/11, so it's obvious his "jokes" about 9/11 were childish and offensive)

I find it quite strange though that you basically just admitted to being a complete scumbag, that you find any aspect of 9/11 funny and comical.  I can't imagine for a second anyone on this board would possibly defend you or your comments.

I'm sure if your family was killed by no fault of their own, you wouldn't find any aspect of it funny, would you? Would you go out of your way to make some silly joke about how your family was killed....or would you laugh at someone else who made a joke about it? Of course not, you hypocrite.

Written By: McDonald on 12/26/07 at 1:01 am

And judging by the Flags in your signature, you're not American, so your stance on 9/11 doesn't surprise me much.

Well, not that it's any of your business what passports I hold, but I happen to be a US citizen.

I love how i'm the one here with morals, yet you come on here with your self righteous attitude that somehow you and that micro-man kid are justified in making jokes about a major tragedy that happened very recently.  And i'm more than sure there is some hidden agenda here with you all. Either you're happy about 9/11 because Americans were killed, or you're happy because New Yorkers were killed.  I can see right through you idiots, you can't fool me.

First off, I don't recall ever making any jokes. Secondly, who are 'we all' and what would 'our' hidden agenda be? Thirdly, why would I be happy about people (not just Americans but people of other nationalities as well) being killed? That is a pretty serious (and asinine) accusation to make. And I don't know who you think you are (we sure as hell don't know who you are, John Doe - the guest!) but you don't go around here calling people idiots for no good reason.

And who are these "jokes" supposed to humor? I doubt anyone who lost a family member on 9/11 would find any joke about their death "funny" or "comical"

All I'm saying is that there's humour to be found in any situation, and it doesn't mean that the situation is funny or comical. Sometimes you have to laugh or you'll cry. So stop being so judgemental. Your obnoxious sense of patriotism doesn't give you the right or duty to go around scolding children on the internet, or to be the humour police. 

I find it quite strange though that you basically just admitted to being a complete scumbag, that you find any aspect of 9/11 funny and comical.  I can't imagine for a second anyone on this board would possibly defend you or your comments.

Once again, I never said it was funny or comical.

Written By: Red Ant on 12/26/07 at 2:16 am

Moderators don't go anonymouse and post lame, inflammatory remarks about people. If I have something to say about a member or guest, it gets said while I'm logged in.

That said, JohnDoe has nad numerous comments reported in the past. Since we can't warn guests with fake email addys...

goodbye

PS:

I can't imagine for a second anyone on this board would possibly defend you or your comments.

Limited imagination is not a good thing. However, you seriously miscalculated if you think we would put up with any more of yours.

Ant

Check for new replies or respond here...