inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: DINOSAURS: An 80s/90s obsession(?)

Written By: audkal on 03/08/06 at 10:15 pm

It wasn't until recently when I thought about how much people were obsessed with dinosaurs a while back, do you think it just a 80s/90s thing?

There were a number of movies with dinosaurs like "Jurassic Park"/"Lost World", "Prehisteria!" (1, 2, and 3), the countless "Land Before Time" movies, "We're Back! A Dinosaur's Story", "Godzilla", "The Flinstones" movie, etc.

Also a lot of TV shows: the obvious sitcom named "Dinosaurs", there was also, "Dink, the little Dinosaur", "Denver, the last Dinosaur", "Land of The Lost", "Dino-Riders", even "Eek! the Cat" had a part of the show that was just dinosaurs.

I think there were a lot of kids playing with dinosaur toys too, not very many today I don't think.  Why do you think there was an obsession with dinosaurs?

Subject: Re: DINOSAURS: An 80s/90s obsession(?)

Written By: Tia on 03/08/06 at 10:29 pm

i grew up in the 70s and i was a dinosaur PSYCHO. don't forget we had "land of the lost," man. you can't overestimate how huge that cheesy-as show was back in the day. people worshipped it like a cult.

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/08/06 at 10:31 pm

I used to be obsessed with dinosaurs when I was 4, 5, 6 years old (then it became basketball). I think 'Land Before Time' had alot to do with it, I think I also remember 'Dink.' It must be a few very influential movies which started it off. Think Shrek or Finding Nemo...but then again, I spose that didn't create an obsession in Ogres or Talking Donkeys.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/08/06 at 11:12 pm

I was actually thinking the same thing. 

I think it's more a little kid thing, like space and the Wild West are, but the '90s especially seemed to have a lot of dinosaur stuff.

Written By: Tia on 03/08/06 at 11:20 pm

in the 70s it was dinosaurs -- i don't know if there was a particular reason why, little kids just always get wood for dinosaurs -- and planets. because of the space probes and stuff. i was big on knowing all the planets in order and which were the biggers and smallest and all that. and i knew pretty much all the dinosaurs and which were herbivores and omnivores and which lived in what time period and all that.

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/09/06 at 12:29 am

I was actually thinking the same thing. 

I think it's more a little kid thing, like space and the Wild West are, but the '90s especially seemed to have a lot of dinosaur stuff.

Yeah, I agree. Lots and lots of little boys in the 90's played with those rubber Dinosaur figures.  Jurassic Park sold TONS of merchandise.  Both movies were pretty big events for kids back in the day.

Seems like Dinosaurs have gone out with today's kids.  I think they'd rather watch Spongebob. ;D

Well,  it happens.  You gotta admit, for the most part, our generation wasn't too big on Cowboys and Indians.  But with Boomers, that was perhaps the penultimate childhood fascination for boys.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/09/06 at 1:21 am

^I agree.  Dinosaurs were definitely a hot topic in the '90s, I mean my god they were everywhere!

Have you seen the "Toy Story" movies?  I know they're kind of kiddie, but I like how in Toy Story 2 the Prospector talked about how when Sputnik went up in 1957 kids stopped caring about Western toys in favor of space toys.  I'm not sure if it's true, but I think that scene was pretty clever.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/09/06 at 5:53 am

Dinosaurs are still big with little kids today! But, yeah...plastic dinosaur figures seemed to be an obsession of little boys in the '90s, I had like 100 of those. It probably came from "Jurassic Park" and some shows like "The Lost World."

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/09/06 at 7:20 am

What about that whole Pokemon/Yu-gi-oh/DragonBallZ thing? That might be the natural sucessor of the 'dinosaur' craze. Instead of studying real but long gone creatures like dinosaurs, kids are into imaginery creatures the same way.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/09/06 at 12:21 pm

What about that whole Pokemon/Yu-gi-oh/DragonBallZ thing? That might be the natural sucessor of the 'dinosaur' craze. Instead of studying real but long gone creatures like dinosaurs, kids are into imaginery creatures the same way.

I remember when Pokemon was HUGE in the late '90s, along with DragonBallZ. Now it seems like for except Yu-gi-oh, it's passed on somewhat.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/09/06 at 1:38 pm

I remember when Pokemon was HUGE in the late '90s, along with DragonBallZ. Now it seems like for except Yu-gi-oh, it's passed on somewhat.

Yeah the Pokemon craze has been gone for a few years now(with its peak being 98/99). Even Yu-gi-oh isn't as big as it was 3 years ago.

Written By: gmann on 03/09/06 at 1:42 pm

I was a real geek when it came to dinosaurs. I was into it so much as a kid that, for a while, I wanted to be a paleontologist! Ah, the dreams of the young. I've never thought of my fascination with dinosaurs as anything specific to the 80s or 90s. I've always ssumed that every kid that's come along has been into 'em...

Tia, I too watched "Land of the Lost". The version from the 90s couldn't even begin to compare to the greatness of the original. 8)

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/09/06 at 1:54 pm

I think kids have always been fasinated with dinosaurs(I sure was ;)) but I do agree that it seems less prevelant today than it did when I was a kid in the early-mid/90's.

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/09/06 at 6:38 pm

I agree. I think Jurassic Park had alot to do with it -- despite being a relatively "scary" movie in places (even if the scene with the lawyer was laughable in a dark way ;D ) it seemed to fire everyone's imaginations as to what it could be like to have them come back to life.

Heck, I remember reading something in school around this time, about what it would take to actually do this. I forget all the details, but it was something to the effect of, "While it's a nice fantasy, we're a long way from actually making Jurassic Park a reality and probably never will," which made sense to me.

If you were 5 or so at the time, it's not like you'd know the difference, though. That's probably why kids liked 'em so much.

Written By: Watcher29 on 03/10/06 at 10:31 am

Dinosaurs seem to be a perennial favorite, actually. I remember them being popular in the '70s when I was a kid. I remember a time during the 80s when they were popular, and again in the '90s. There's just something about this whole other world that existed way back that fascinates people.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/21/20 at 1:49 pm

Ross Geller is a paleontologist, completely obsessed with dinosaurs, so much he has a Ph.D!

Written By: wagonman76 on 09/21/20 at 8:10 pm

Back then it seemed like they didn’t know about most of the dinosaurs they do now. We had some cute colorful basics in every show, T Rex, Triceratops, stegosaurus, brontosaurus, pterodactyl... these days I think it would be overwhelming.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/22/20 at 6:36 am

Then along came Barney?

Written By: Howard on 09/22/20 at 7:49 am

Then along came Barney?

He should be extinct!

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/22/20 at 7:58 am

He should be extinct!
Dinosaurs are extinct!

Written By: Elor on 09/22/20 at 10:15 am

Dinosaurs are extinct!
Not in most parliaments.... ::)

Written By: wagonman76 on 09/22/20 at 11:50 am

Then along came Barney?

Hadn’t thought of that, but BINGO.

Written By: nally on 09/22/20 at 1:05 pm

Back then it seemed like they didn’t know about most of the dinosaurs they do now. We had some cute colorful basics in every show, T Rex, Triceratops, stegosaurus, brontosaurus, pterodactyl... these days I think it would be overwhelming.

And there was a sitcom that premiered on ABC Network in 1991, entitled Dinosaurs, whose characters were all life-size puppets voiced off camera. It was modern times mixed with prehistorical times.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/22/20 at 1:07 pm

Hadn’t thought of that, but BINGO.
Yabba Dabba Doo!

Written By: nally on 09/22/20 at 1:10 pm

Yabba Dabba Doo!

Oh yes, there was the live-action Flintstones film in 1994, with John Goodman in the lead role. I remember that too.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/22/20 at 1:13 pm

Oh yes, there was the live-action Flintstones film in 1994, with John Goodman in the lead role. I remember that too.
...and there was a sequel that flopped.

Written By: nally on 09/22/20 at 1:14 pm

...and there was a sequel that flopped.

that's right. Was it called "Viva Rock Vegas" or something like that?

Written By: wagonman76 on 09/22/20 at 1:25 pm

And there was a sitcom that premiered on ABC Network in 1991, entitled Dinosaurs, whose characters were all life-size puppets voiced off camera. It was modern times mixed with prehistorical times.

Not the mama!! I can’t believe how few people I know actually remember this.

Written By: Howard on 09/22/20 at 1:45 pm

Yabba Dabba Doo!

Whoever thought it was a good idea to have a dinosaur as a pet. ;D

Written By: xX07-GhostXx on 09/22/20 at 2:50 pm

Whether it's an era-centric thing or not, I hope it doesn't end. My childhood liking of dinosaurs probably made me more imaginative.

Written By: nally on 09/22/20 at 3:20 pm

Not the mama!! I can’t believe how few people I know actually remember this.

I for one do remember it, because I watched it regularly during its first season, 1991-92.

Written By: Howard on 09/23/20 at 4:07 am

"Walk The Dinosaur" by Was Not Was was a song in 1988.

Subject: Re: DINOSAURS: An 1850s obsession(?)

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/23/20 at 8:08 am

Crystal Palace dinosaurs added to 'at risk' register

A dinosaur park featuring 30 reptilian replicas has been added to a list of sites at risk of being lost. The collection of life-size creations at Crystal Palace Park in London has developed cracks, with some statues in danger of losing toes, teeth and tails. Historic England has added the Grade I-listed creations, which date back to the mid-1850s, to its "at risk" register. "We don't want them to become extinct again," the government body said. The dinosaurs were created between 1852 and 1855 by artist Benjamin Waterhouse Hawkin.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-51661931

Written By: karen on 09/24/20 at 4:25 pm

Definitely not restricted to a specific era, more a specific age of child I would say. My son loved dinosaurs when he was aged between three and five I would say, so 2005 to 2007. A friends little boy is currently dinosaur mad.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/24/20 at 4:37 pm

Definitely not restricted to a specific era, more a specific age of child I would say. My son loved dinosaurs when he was aged between three and five I would say, so 2005 to 2007. A friends little boy is currently dinosaur mad.
You have me thinking of George from "Peppa Pig", he has an obsession for dinosaur.

https://www.pngitem.com/pimgs/m/98-984928_george-playing-with-dinosaur-george-peppa-pig-png.png

Written By: Howard on 09/25/20 at 7:37 am

You have me thinking of George from "Peppa Pig", he has an obsession for dinosaur.

https://www.pngitem.com/pimgs/m/98-984928_george-playing-with-dinosaur-george-peppa-pig-png.png

or Barney?

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/06/20 at 9:47 am

or Barney?
Is George better than Barney?

Written By: Howard on 11/06/20 at 1:59 pm

Is George better than Barney?

Barney was.

Check for new replies or respond here...