inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 9/11 2001-2006...New McCarthyism or the Emotional Depression years

Written By: 1993 on 03/16/06 at 9:26 pm

I'm thinking about different ways we can best describe the years post 9/11 in America. It is a very significant era we're in that's characterized by war, economic instability, panic and fear. Nowadays you can't ride a subway or cross a bridge without thinking about the possibility of terrorist actions. We're being beaten over the heads with threats...who's crossing the border, who's building nukes, are there sleeper cells in YOUR BACK YARD. It's definitely a memorable era, just not a very happy one. Is this like a new McCarthyism, the years of Emotional Strain and Depression? Years of Rage? Years of Panic?

I know the story isn't finished yet, but how do you think we'll describe these years to our grandchildren?

Subject: Re: 9/11 2001-2006...New McCarthyism or the Emotional Depression years

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/16/06 at 10:56 pm

I'm thinking about different ways we can best describe the years post 9/11 in America. It is a very significant era we're in that's characterized by war, economic instability, panic and fear. Nowadays you can't ride a subway or cross a bridge without thinking about the possibility of terrorist actions. We're being beaten over the heads with threats...who's crossing the border, who's building nukes, are there sleeper cells in YOUR BACK YARD. It's definitely a memorable era, just not a very happy one. Is this like a new McCarthyism, the years of Emotional Strain and Depression? Years of Rage? Years of Panic?

I know the story isn't finished yet, but how do you think we'll describe these years to our grandchildren?

Years of Emotional Strain and Depression.

Written By: Tia on 03/16/06 at 11:04 pm

cold war was similar, in its own way -- constant threat of nuclear armageddon on a half hour's notice. you can't explain it to the kids who weren't there, it was this thing that hung over your head all the time if you thought about it at all.

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/16/06 at 11:10 pm

All I can say it was a huge wake up call from the dream years in the late 1990s. The late '90s were all about prosperity, most people felt the country was in great shape and it was. Terrorism was a known problem, but people didn't worry about it as much like they do today. Nowadays that confidence is just not there anymore, the country is a lot more divided, high gas prices (not a problem in the '90s gas was generally around $1.10 here, now it's about $2.30 or so, though it did even dip below a dollar for a period in the late '90s). Are things that bad today, of course not, but the prosperity of the late '90s is long over.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/16/06 at 11:14 pm

Cold War II.

Written By: twistedwarp on 03/17/06 at 9:50 am

well sadly enough the story dosent end there like you said. i think this might just be the beginning of a new depression era.the war on iraq the economic failure, a president that makes akward moves. When 9/11 occured it was like a sudden smack in the face to america. compared to the 90's everything was alright and peaceful. we had boy bands, innocence was a big factor in the 90's.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/17/06 at 11:30 am

All I can say it was a huge wake up call from the dream years in the late 1990s. The late '90s were all about prosperity, most people felt the country was in great shape and it was. Terrorism was a known problem, but people didn't worry about it as much like they do today. Nowadays that confidence is just not there anymore, the country is a lot more divided, high gas prices (not a problem in the '90s gas was generally around $1.10 here, now it's about $2.30 or so, though it did even dip below a dollar for a period in the late '90s). Are things that bad today, of course not, but the prosperity of the late '90s is long over.

Exactly. The difference between even 2000 and 2001 is like day and night. And I know personally. The late 90's and 2000 had a very optimistic feel to them which was shattered on 9/11. Truly a dark moment in the history of this country.

Check for new replies or respond here...