inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What About the '90s is Still REALLY Around?

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/21/06 at 6:48 pm

Surprisingly, not that much, IMO. Alot of stuff is still there, but in altered form and lacking original spirit, and the things that were hot in the early-mid '90s seem increasingly distant. Not yet the late '90s, but the early-mid '90s looks pretty old. I was watching the "Krusty Gets Kancelled" episode of The Simpsons from Season 4 in 1993, and so much is different. The Simpsons is now a Family Guy and South Park influenced fest of meaningless idiocy 75% of the time, Johnny Carson is dead, Elizabeth Taylor is half dead, nobody uses faxes anymore, or they're rarer, at least. Stuff from then is definitely getting an "old" look to it. The same thing comes to me watching older cartoons like Duckman and The Critic, that old '90s style seems so distant now. Even alot about the late '90s now seems dated and older. In gym class the other day, somebody was playing the Spice Girls over the PA, and the song now sounds so innocent and out-of-date in its musical technique, even, marking it as like a "1997"-ish sort of song.

So, what about the '90s is really still around, or the early-mid '90s period, anyway? Mariah Carey, Beck, Weezer, Green Day are about it, but they're in a form accommodating to the '00s. What's your opinion? The '00s took from the '90s too much and just spun out a dull and overly commercialized, "'80s ethos" version of it in a blender, but the '90s really isn't there so much anymore. Just the whole non-fashion conscious spirit of it seems remarkable now.

Subject: Re: What About the '90s is Still REALLY Around?

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/21/06 at 9:50 pm

Ultra-cheesy soap operas...Days of our Lives.etc  ;D

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/21/06 at 9:51 pm

Oh yeah, I forgot, OPRAH, Dr. Phil, Ricki Lake, Jerry Springer...those damn talk shows...they'll always be around

Written By: whistledog on 03/21/06 at 11:36 pm

many 90's artists are still today popular ...

Pet Shop Boys (i liked them better in the 90's than the 80's)
Manic Street Preachers
Texas
Natalie Imbruglia
Ash
Dannii + Kylie Minogue
Basement Jaxx
Groove Armada
Erasure (same as Pet Shop Boys)

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/22/06 at 4:21 am

You picked some pretty bad examples...

There are other bands from the 80s, 90s which are much more popular than those you lsited...like U2 for instance. Even bands like Coldplay originated in the 90s.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/22/06 at 7:34 am

Oh yeah, I forgot, OPRAH, Dr. Phil, Ricki Lake, Jerry Springer...those damn talk shows...they'll always be around

What about Maury and Montell Williams?  ;D  They aren't getting cancelled anytime soon either!

America's Funniest Home Videos is still around, and in it's 16th season.  ;D

When the world ends, four things will survive....

Rats, cockroaches, rocks, and America's Funniest Home Videos.  ;D

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/23/06 at 2:40 am

Same with Australia's funniest home videos...

It seems people just can't getting enough of watching other people hurt themselves...

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/23/06 at 9:38 am

Same with Australia's funniest home videos...

It seems people just can't getting enough of watching other people hurt themselves...

It figures....  ::)  ;D

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 03/23/06 at 12:03 pm

Oprah has really changed her style though. I remember watching her shows when they seemed more meaningful and had more of an impact. Maybe it just seemed more fresh then because she hadn't been on 20 years, only 10. Jerry Springer wasn't a total freak show either. Now it is. Ricki Lake was tolerable, but different. Dr. Phil wasn't even around as a TV talk show host in the 90's. He was still just a frequent guest of Oprah's.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/23/06 at 12:36 pm

Oprah has really changed her style though. I remember watching her shows when they seemed more meaningful and had more of an impact. Maybe it just seemed more fresh then because she hadn't been on 20 years, only 10. Jerry Springer wasn't a total freak show either. Now it is. Ricki Lake was tolerable, but different. Dr. Phil wasn't even around as a TV talk show host in the 90's. He was still just a frequent guest of Oprah's.

I remember watching Ricki Lake and Jerry Springer when I was home from school in the '90s, unbeknownst to my parents. Surprisingly, Jerry Springer is a guilty pleasure of many kids in my class when they're home from school...it crosses class boundaries.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 03/23/06 at 1:12 pm

I remember watching Ricki Lake and Jerry Springer when I was home from school in the '90s, unbeknownst to my parents. Surprisingly, Jerry Springer is a guilty pleasure of many kids in my class when they're home from school...it crosses class boundaries.

lol, well, with Jerry Springer in the mid to late 90's his stuff appeared believable, now it simply is a freakfest and you can't believe the show for one minute. I guess it's something I've grown out of, but I'll chime in here and there just to see if it's changed at all or how freaky people are (or are acting to be).

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/24/06 at 10:02 pm

They still do that annoying chant every day before the show, and call out stupid things like, 'we love lesbians.' At the end Jerry tries to make the show seem more than the crass exploitative tv it is by his giving a message...as if watching Jerry Springer will improve their lives. Yeah, I still watch it. It is TV aimed for the L.C.D.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/24/06 at 11:39 pm

A lot.

It's not very much in the way of actual 1990s icons, although there are enough (Green Day rings a gong).  It's more the general styles.

Take this, for instance:

TV of the 1990s:

Sitcoms
Soap operas
Adult cartoons
Law shows
Medical shows
Paranormal shows

TV of the 2000s:

Reality
Adult Cartoon
Laq shows
Medical shows
Paranormal shows

Music of the 1990s:

Grunge
Teen Pop
Old School Rap
Gangsta Rap
Indie Rock
Rap-Metal
Britpop
R&B Pop
Country

Music of the 2000s:

Emo
Glam Rap
Pop Rap
Indie Rock
Britpop
Nu Metal
R&B Pop
American Idol pop
Dirrrty pop

Fashion of the 1990s:

Tattoos
Perms/straight hair
long hair for guys
body piercings

Fashion of the 2000s:

Tattoos
Work clothes
short, shaggy hair for guys
body piercings

That's not to say that the economics/general peace of the 1990s isn't gone, or that many, many '90s icons are now washed-up hasbeens, but the 1990s and 2000s sense of coolness is disturbingly similar.

Written By: Matt the Rat76 on 03/25/06 at 12:20 pm

ricki lake was a stupid show and at the end of her show he audence members chant go ricki go ricki over and over again and there is a missing talk shows during the 90's like riicki's producer had his own show I think is name is Charles Perez.George and Alina*sp Donny and Marie.Forgive and Forget and yeah before Jerry Springer Trash he was a donahue clone! I remember Maury and it was in 1999 or late 99 and they have wild teens show and they have this kid name Richie. and he was tough and said mean thing (I forgot what he said) then it came time for boot camp and he was crying because of that! then a year later richie is at it again same thing then he was going to send to jail again same thing he cried I wonder what happend to that kid but the most frquent guest is Marisol for Who's my Baby's daddy shows

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 03/25/06 at 5:08 pm

straight hair overkill for most women, just won't go away. Although I think it was bigger a few years ago.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/25/06 at 5:10 pm

straight hair overkill for most women, just won't go away. Although I think it was bigger a few years ago.

In some cases yeah, but I think the trendier girls tend not to have super-straight hair.  I notice a lot more volume in hair today than say 5 or 10 years ago.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/25/06 at 10:13 pm

A lot.

It's not very much in the way of actual 1990s icons, although there are enough (Green Day rings a gong).  It's more the general styles.

Take this, for instance:

TV of the 1990s:

Sitcoms
Soap operas
Adult cartoons
Law shows
Medical shows
Paranormal shows

TV of the 2000s:

Reality
Adult Cartoon
Laq shows
Medical shows
Paranormal shows

Music of the 1990s:

Grunge
Teen Pop
Old School Rap
Gangsta Rap
Indie Rock
Rap-Metal
Britpop
R&B Pop
Country

Music of the 2000s:

Emo
Glam Rap
Pop Rap
Indie Rock
Britpop
Nu Metal
R&B Pop
American Idol pop
Dirrrty pop

Fashion of the 1990s:

Tattoos
Perms/straight hair
long hair for guys
body piercings

Fashion of the 2000s:

Tattoos
Work clothes
short, shaggy hair for guys
body piercings

That's not to say that the economics/general peace of the 1990s isn't gone, or that many, many '90s icons are now washed-up hasbeens, but the 1990s and 2000s sense of coolness is disturbingly similar.

Work clothes were more popular in the mid-late '90s as a Gen X hipster thing, tattoos reached their height of fashion around the same time, along with body piercings. The fashions of the '00s include multilayered clothing, tight pants on guys, knit zip-up sweaters and hoodies, suitjackets, skinny pants, hoop earrings, crazy hair with alot of highlights, cardigans, more Victorian-looking stuff, preppie styles, Uggs, trucker hats, track jackets, moccassins, and bright colors. Techno is another major '90s thing that's disappeared, along with the true goth look, which is sort of "1998." Also, teen melodramas are another thing that's remained popular.

The basic "'90s" forms are still around totally, but the spirit of the '90s is totally gone and replaced with the ethos and emo of the glam rap. The '90s and '00s aren't one decade, really.

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/25/06 at 10:17 pm

King Of The Hill
Gangster Rap
Mortal Kombat
Monday night wrestling
Rush Limbaugh
Adam Sandler
Green Day
Eminem
That 70s Show

There's more I'm sure..

Written By: Patrick O'Brien on 03/25/06 at 10:48 pm

King Of The Hill
Gangster Rap
Mortal Kombat
Monday night wrestling
Rush Limbaugh
Adam Sandler
Green Day
Eminem
That 70s Show

There's more I'm sure..
[/quote/
Gangster rap is dead sadly Eminem was only around for 99 but it felt much longer

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/25/06 at 11:04 pm

Gangster Rap isn't dead.  50 Cent?  That guy seems Gangster.

Eminem actually started in the second half of 1998.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/26/06 at 1:47 am

Gangster Rap isn't dead.  50 Cent?  That guy seems Gangster.

Eminem actually started in the second half of 1998.

I would say today's rap in a way is gangster, but I do think it's a somewhat different genre than the gangsta rap from the era of The Chronic and California Love, like how hair metal is sort of a even more glammy version of the arena rock of the '70s.  I would say that if Snoop Dogg, Dr. Dre, Eazy E, and Ice Cube were the Boston, Foreigner, and Styx of gangsta rap than 50 Cent, Nelly, and Eminem would be the Def Leppard, Guns n Roses and Poison of gangsta rap.  Lil Wayne, D4L, etc. would be like the Wingers and Slaughters.

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/26/06 at 1:48 am

I would say today's rap in a way is gangster, but I do think it's a somewhat different genre than the gangsta rap from the era of The Chronic and California Love, like how hair metal is sort of a even more glammy version of the arena rock of the '70s.  I would say that if Snoop Dogg, Dr. Dre, Eazy E, and Ice Cube were the Boston, Foreigner, and Styx of gangsta rap than 50 Cent, Nelly, and Eminem would be the Def Leppard, Guns n Roses and Poison of gangsta rap.  Lil Wayne, D4L, etc. would be like the Wingers and Slaughters.

I think 50 cent is a phony gangster.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/26/06 at 1:49 am

I think 50 cent is a phony gangster.

No, I think 50's actually "real"  ;D

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/26/06 at 1:53 am

No, I think 50's actually "real"  ;D

Lol, I've seen him in numerous interviews and he definitely doesn't seem like the same "In Da Club" guy when they talk to him. He wasn't shot 9 times either, I heard it was actually 2 times that barely hit him. His whole story is pretty questionable. D4L- lol they are so far from gangsters or real rappers. Thank God I think they will be a 1 hit wonder.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/26/06 at 1:55 am

Lol, I've seen him in numerous interviews and he definitely doesn't seem like the same "In Da Club" guy when they talk to him. He wasn't shot 9 times either, I heard it was actually 2 times that barely hit him. His whole story is pretty questionable. D4L- lol they are so far from gangsters or real rappers. Thank God I think they will be a 1 hit wonder.

Hmmm.  ???  I would actually musically respect 50 Cent more if he actually was a gangster, as odd as that sounds.  Obviously he'd be a more dislikeable person, but hip hop is about being yourself and if he actually was the guy he claimed to be his raps might be interesting. 

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/26/06 at 2:06 am

VERY good analogy.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/26/06 at 2:31 am

VERY good analogy.

*pats self on back*

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/26/06 at 6:59 pm

Donnie Darko/velvotoneo/Donnie Darko/velvotoneoDonnie Darko/velvotoneo...

I see a pattern emerging...maybe you guys should get your own board?  :D

No, that's the sort of thing we need. More people who frequent the board like you.

But it seems you have a valid point about the evlution of rap.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/26/06 at 7:43 pm

Donnie Darko/velvotoneo/Donnie Darko/velvotoneoDonnie Darko/velvotoneo...

I see a pattern emerging...maybe you guys should get your own board?  :D

No, that's the sort of thing we need. More people who frequent the board like you.

But it seems you have a valid point about the evlution of rap.

It's velvetoneo, bubbele.

We're somewhat similar, 16-year old wikipedians with a keen interest in the '80s and pop culture history.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 03/26/06 at 9:34 pm

Like him or not...Jeff Gordon. Same for Tony Stewart who won the USAC Triple Crown in 1995 and the Indy Racing League championship in 1997..then entered what is now Nextel Cup in 1999, ruffling some feathers along the way, but hey, that's "Smoke" for ya.

AOL
MSN
NetZero(?)

and the Dodge Neon, although the look has changed from the original 'smiling' front grille and headlights.

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/26/06 at 10:58 pm

Hmmm.  ???  I would actually musically respect 50 Cent more if he actually was a gangster, as odd as that sounds.  Obviously he'd be a more dislikeable person, but hip hop is about being yourself and if he actually was the guy he claimed to be his raps might be interesting. 

Would you say that '90s and very late '80s rap had that authenticity to it? Not that I was really a fan or anything, but you get the idea that's really how those guys lived, and they were being reflective and not trying to be cool for the sake of being cool (which is the very thing glam rap seems to be)?

Tupac for instance, had been shot and been arrested for various things, and he only was 25 when he died. I don't really care for his lifestyle or his music, but yeah, I'd say he was real, so I respect him there.

That style of gangsta rap was more popular from about 1989-96. 1997-98 was a bit more old school and kind of a slower period. 1999-01 was more early Eminem and rap/metal, and 2002+ is the glam rap era. In a way, I'd consider the bling bling stuff pretending to be more bad*ss than it really is on the same level as Ashlee Simpson trying to be "rock" or cussing in her songs. When you try too hard, it just comes off as silly. Then again, that can all be traced back to Vanilla Ice in 1991. ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/26/06 at 11:14 pm

lol, well, with Jerry Springer in the mid to late 90's his stuff appeared believable, now it simply is a freakfest and you can't believe the show for one minute. I guess it's something I've grown out of, but I'll chime in here and there just to see if it's changed at all or how freaky people are (or are acting to be).

Yeah LOL, the sound effects (i.e. the bell) and random stuff the audience yells out (i.e. "Go to Oprah" or "Take it off!") are stupid.

Even though it was equally wild in its, say 1996-99 heyday, there was still a semblence of talk and you got the impression Jerry actually cared about the guests. Of course, I don't watch it that much anymore, but it's like almost purposely over the edge now from what I can tell.

He's actually a nice, very smart guy (I think anyone who reads his bio will probably change their mind about him and maybe the show too) so it's kinda unfortunate that he'll only be remembered for this.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/26/06 at 11:53 pm

Yeah LOL, the sound effects (i.e. the bell) and random stuff the audience yells out (i.e. "Go to Oprah" or "Take it off!") are stupid.

Even though it was equally wild in its, say 1996-99 heyday, there was still a semblence of talk and you got the impression Jerry actually cared about the guests. Of course, I don't watch it that much anymore, but it's like almost purposely over the edge now from what I can tell.

He's actually a nice, very smart guy (I think anyone who reads his bio will probably change their mind about him and maybe the show too) so it's kinda unfortunate that he'll only be remembered for this.

I used to watch daytime talk and schlock fairly frequently back then, stuff like these mid-day "news edition" broadcasts at 1:00 PM focused on scandalous news for housewives. The '90s definitely had that element to it of finding all this exaggerated drama in everyday life.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/27/06 at 1:16 am

Would you say that '90s and very late '80s rap had that authenticity to it? Not that I was really a fan or anything, but you get the idea that's really how those guys lived, and they were being reflective and not trying to be cool for the sake of being cool (which is the very thing glam rap seems to be)?

Tupac for instance, had been shot and been arrested for various things, and he only was 25 when he died. I don't really care for his lifestyle or his music, but yeah, I'd say he was real, so I respect him there.

That style of gangsta rap was more popular from about 1989-96. 1997-98 was a bit more old school and kind of a slower period. 1999-01 was more early Eminem and rap/metal, and 2002+ is the glam rap era. In a way, I'd consider the bling bling stuff pretending to be more bad*ss than it really is on the same level as Ashlee Simpson trying to be "rock" or cussing in her songs. When you try too hard, it just comes off as silly. Then again, that can all be traced back to Vanilla Ice in 1991. ;D

I think some of the gangsta rap was "real".  You definitely had your share of "bling bling" stuff during the 1989-1996 period, but at least the rappers didn't really talk about making money and their bling bling, and least not as much.  Rather, they were portraying the ugliness of the streets through their music, which I'm not a fan of but at least some of it is "real", unlike the rap of today which I don't even consider true gangsta rap for that reason.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 03/28/06 at 4:59 pm

I think some of the gangsta rap was "real".  You definitely had your share of "bling bling" stuff during the 1989-1996 period, but at least the rappers didn't really talk about making money and their bling bling, and least not as much.  Rather, they were portraying the ugliness of the streets through their music, which I'm not a fan of but at least some of it is "real", unlike the rap of today which I don't even consider true gangsta rap for that reason.
Someone who always came off as real was the late Tupac Shakur...

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/29/06 at 4:44 am

Agree with you (as typical). :)

I just thought of this now, but do you think "gangsta" rap (in the loosest sense of the word, since true gangsta stuff probably died around 1999) shares a certain similarity with grunge? Not in the music per se, but there was another thread where we discussed the idea that so much of today's rock is still grunge-ish, because everybody is trying to make another Nevermind - fulfilling the legacy that Nirvana started and didn't get the chance to finish when Kurt died.

Perhaps because alot of the "real"/iconic gangsta rappers like Tupac and Biggie Smalls are no longer with us, so much of today's rap is just a second rate copy of that stuff (kinda like Nickelback and Incubus being a second rate Pearl Jam, etc)?

I have to think if more of them had lived, we (when I say we, I mean the general record buying public) would've grown tired of it more naturally, and rap would be a bit different by today, if not faded altogether. I'd still say 1988-97 are the peak "rap" years and always will be.

Probably as a whole, 1995ish was where it was at the midpoint of "old school" and "new" school.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/29/06 at 5:59 am

I just thought of this now, but do you think "gangsta" rap (in the loosest sense of the word, since true gangsta stuff probably died around 1999) shares a certain similarity with grunge? Not in the music per se, but there was another thread where we discussed the idea that so much of today's rock is still grunge-ish, because everybody is trying to make another Nevermind - fulfilling the legacy that Nirvana started and didn't get the chance to finish when Kurt died.

Perhaps because alot of the "real"/iconic gangsta rappers like Tupac and Biggie Smalls are no longer with us, so much of today's rap is just a second rate copy of that stuff (kinda like Nickelback and Incubus being a second rate Pearl Jam, etc)?

I have to think if more of them had lived, we (when I say we, I mean the general record buying public) would've grown tired of it more naturally, and rap would be a bit different by today, if not faded altogether. I'd still say 1988-97 are the peak "rap" years and always will be.

Probably as a whole, 1995ish was where it was at the midpoint of "old school" and "new" school.

Yeah, there's definitely a similarity in that they both died, and both musically were sort of back-to-basics and "street" in a way. I think rap as an art form, lyrically, anyway, seriously declined after the mid-'90s. Now, it's either vaguely musically interesting commercial hip-hop or skanky glam rap like Lil' Jon.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/29/06 at 5:51 pm

I definitely think so.  You know how they say that if somebody dies violently they'll become a ghost (whether you believe that or not)?  I think that's sort of what happened with the '90s; it died prematurely multiple times during the decade, and thus its afterwash continues to "haunt" the zeroes.  Also, people have a knack to worship the dead, so seeing Kurt and Tupac as "dated" would seem blasphemous to some, and also make the musicians cool in a whole new way.

Again, I do think the zeroes are a distinct period from the 1990s, I just don't think the styles of the '90s have ever really left us.  They are both a new decade and a 10-year continuation of the nineties at the same time.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/29/06 at 6:23 pm

I definitely think so.  You know how they say that if somebody dies violently they'll become a ghost (whether you believe that or not)?  I think that's sort of what happened with the '90s; it died prematurely multiple times during the decade, and thus its afterwash continues to "haunt" the zeroes.  Also, people have a knack to worship the dead, so seeing Kurt and Tupac as "dated" would seem blasphemous to some, and also make the musicians cool in a whole new way.

Again, I do think the zeroes are a distinct period from the 1990s, I just don't think the styles of the '90s have ever really left us.  They are both a new decade and a 10-year continuation of the nineties at the same time.

Yeah, that makes alot of sense...when something dies prematurely (esp. twice) people try to keep emulating it. In that way the '90s is like the '60s, which died a premature death with Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin dying, along with several others, and so the '70s was haunted by the '60s, like the '00s is haunted by the '90s.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/29/06 at 7:18 pm

Yeah, that makes alot of sense...when something dies prematurely (esp. twice) people try to keep emulating it. In that way the '90s is like the '60s, which died a premature death with Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin dying, along with several others, and so the '70s was haunted by the '60s, like the '00s is haunted by the '90s.

That's true huh?  I never though about those '60s deaths, but yeah that's right.  Also, the Beatles disbanded in 1970, which is in a way also a "death".  I definitely think the '90s/'00s parallels the '60s/'70s relation; they're both different decades with different atmospheres but they have huge similarities and run-ins.

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/29/06 at 8:52 pm

Kurt and Tupac died in the middle of the decade, so it's not really the same.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/29/06 at 9:54 pm

That's true huh?  I never though about those '60s deaths, but yeah that's right.  Also, the Beatles disbanded in 1970, which is in a way also a "death".  I definitely think the '90s/'00s parallels the '60s/'70s relation; they're both different decades with different atmospheres but they have huge similarities and run-ins.

And the concert in Gimme Shelter, the movie, was always seen as the death of the '60s in a big way. The '60s died more than the '70s or the '80s, people just moved on from those decades and respectively put away their white sparkly suits and feather earrings. I think it took about ten years after those deaths to totally move onto the '80s and put those deaths away. I agree with that, both are different decades with different atmospheres but blend into each other pretty well. Though I do think the early-mid '70s is what makes it blend into the '60s and the late '90s for the '00s is a bridge.

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/29/06 at 11:43 pm

Kurt and Tupac died in the middle of the decade, so it's not really the same.

Yes and no, but I see what you mean.

1969-70 was sort of the absolute peak of "60s" culture, much the way 1993-94 was the absolute peak of "90s" culture (well, Tupac died in '96, but his style had been around a few years by then). That's the era all these respective musicians died in.

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/29/06 at 11:53 pm

Definitely. If you want to think of an even more recent example, perhaps Aaliyah's death in '01 (she wasn't a 100% household name, but famous enough to be well known) also is another reason tons of balladic pop music has that stripped down/R&Bish feel.

You know, I have a feeling the '70s would've been a bit different musically if it weren't for Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison and Janis Joplin's death, and the breakup of the Beatles. I think the wave of hard rock and metal would've hit sooner. It's easy sometimes to forget this because it's kinda "oldies" now, but some late '60s music rocked pretty hard. Even a classic, well known song like "Born to Be Wild" - I mean, for 1968 that was heavy.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/30/06 at 12:32 am

Definitely. If you want to think of an even more recent example, perhaps Aaliyah's death in '01 (she wasn't a 100% household name, but famous enough to be well known) also is another reason tons of balladic pop music has that stripped down/R&Bish feel.

You know, I have a feeling the '70s would've been a bit different musically if it weren't for Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison and Janis Joplin's death, and the breakup of the Beatles. I think the wave of hard rock and metal would've hit sooner. It's easy sometimes to forget this because it's kinda "oldies" now, but some late '60s music rocked pretty hard. Even a classic, well known song like "Born to Be Wild" - I mean, for 1968 that was heavy.

Yeah I agree, I think that's part of why the '70s were in some ways a "new sixties", people missed the real decade so they continued embracing its culture, just like how the '00s embraces the culture of the pre-end of the world '90s. 

I do remember when Aaliyah died too, my gosh that seems like a long time ago. 

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/30/06 at 3:12 am

People often say the infamous triple rock deaths (not forgetting Brian Jones in '69) as well as a spate of rock deaths following...Ronnie Van Zandt of Lynyrd Skynrd, Marc Bolan of T-Rex, numerous others in the early 70s...'ended the hippie' culture. Sure, they were figureheads for the youth of their generation, but hardly could have been responsible for 'ending' the 60s as such.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/30/06 at 2:28 pm

Yeah I agree, I think that's part of why the '70s were in some ways a "new sixties", people missed the real decade so they continued embracing its culture, just like how the '00s embraces the culture of the pre-end of the world '90s. 

I do remember when Aaliyah died too, my gosh that seems like a long time ago. 

According to my parents ('70s teenagers and a pretty reliable source) people didn't stop forgetting the '60s and still playing '60s music until like 1976-1977 when disco hit big. In alot of ways, people missed the '60s in the '70s more than the '90s in the '00s. And Lisa Lopes dying from TLC is another well-known death of a '90s superstar.

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/31/06 at 5:12 am

According to my parents ('70s teenagers and a pretty reliable source) people didn't stop forgetting the '60s and still playing '60s music until like 1976-1977 when disco hit big. In alot of ways, people missed the '60s in the '70s more than the '90s in the '00s. And Lisa Lopes dying from TLC is another well-known death of a '90s superstar.

You know, I was thinking about it and I wonder if perhaps the 60s influence was around as late as 1975ish because no one was really sure what direction rock would end up taking. It was still new enough as a whole to be kinda "unpredictable".

Heck, there was a thought among some people that Disco was killing off rock and roll. It seems hard to fathom since that was a good 20 years after Elvis and such (i.e. so it should've been "secure" as a genre), but maybe it was still seen as a long fad at the time. Maybe it took the MTV era to really erase the '60s generation.

In many ways (not just musically and pop culturally), 1982 almost seems more in common with today than it does with, say 1969.

Check for new replies or respond here...