inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Movies of 1992

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 03/22/06 at 2:32 pm

I saw almost all of these movies in 1992 at the big screen. We really got into movies that year and I was at an age where I could really take the movie in and enjoy it.

Subject: Re: Movies of 1992

Written By: Stompgal on 03/22/06 at 2:38 pm

I liked Aladdin the best because I remember getting the video.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 03/22/06 at 5:24 pm

Death Becomes Her
A League of Their Own
Wayne's World (yes, I did the Bohemian Rhapsody car scene whenever I got in a car with my crew!)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/22/06 at 5:40 pm

Aladdin is a great movie.

Written By: whistledog on 03/22/06 at 8:41 pm

Stay Tuned (The Three's Company spoof had me rolling on the floor)
Death Becomes Her (Such an underrated movie.  I loved everything about this movie)
My Cousin Vinny (I was just a "ute" when I saw this movie.  Maybe I had mud in my tires from all them grits i was eatin' LOL)

Written By: nikki89 on 03/22/06 at 8:42 pm

I said Wayne's World and My Cousin Vinny, two of the funniest movies of all time in my opinion.

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/23/06 at 12:56 am

I like/remember almost all of these (1992 was IMO, a very vibrant year for pop culture that still had the teeniest bit of '80s left, mixed with the best of the '90s).

My three would be:
-Wayne's World (classic "rocker dude" movie, but makes you really like the guys, too)
-Stay Tuned (who wouldn't like a story about getting sucked into your TV? Very "late 80sish" cheesiness in a good way!)
-My Girl (cute and romantic, slightly funny at the right times, too)

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/23/06 at 1:01 am

-Batman Returns
-Wayne's World
-My Cousin Vinny

I really like Glengarry Glen Ross, and JFK as well.  I've never actually seen Basic Instinct..

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/23/06 at 2:35 am

I've only seen maybe 5-6 on that list. Wayne's World was sort of overrated...funny, but stupid. But it's a real time capsule from a sociological/cultural point of view. Ah, they were so out of it but they didn't give a damn  :).

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 03/23/06 at 2:50 am

Being only 7 at the time these movies were released, the ones on that list I actually didn't see til much later.

Here's my 3:
Wayne's World
Batman Returns
My Cousin Vinny

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/23/06 at 2:51 am

Wayne's World, A League of Their Own and Batman Returns.

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/23/06 at 7:15 am

I've only seen maybe 5-6 on that list. Wayne's World was sort of overrated...funny, but stupid. But it's a real time capsule from a sociological/cultural point of view. Ah, they were so out of it but they didn't give a damn  :).

I've always thought it would've been funny if, perhaps some guy they ran into on the street, laughed at Wayne and Garth for being so '70s/80s rocker looking in fashion, slang and music tastes. :D Ya know, just to show the changing times in 1991/92. If one was to watch that movie without knowing when it was filmed, it could easily be mistaken for dead center '80s at times, just because everyone's attitude seemed on par with theirs.

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/23/06 at 8:48 am

1991-92 was pretty much 80s anyway...

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 03/23/06 at 11:53 am

I've always thought it would've been funny if, perhaps some guy they ran into on the street, laughed at Wayne and Garth for being so '70s/80s rocker looking in fashion, slang and music tastes. :D Ya know, just to show the changing times in 1991/92. If one was to watch that movie without knowing when it was filmed, it could easily be mistaken for dead center '80s at times, just because everyone's attitude seemed on par with theirs.

I LOVED Wayne's World. I watched it a lot throughout the summer of 1992. I owned the soundtrack and of course would blast "Bohemian Rhapsody." I like Tia Carrere's version of "Ballroom Blitz," too.

Even though Ed O'Neil played a minimal role in the movie, I thought he was SO dead on. SO funny! I gotta watch it again - it's been at least 6 years and I was watching it on VHS then - DVD would be Much better!

Written By: Miss Nostalgia on 03/23/06 at 12:21 pm

Oh I loved Stay Tuned! It's a great movie!

Written By: Tanya1976 on 03/23/06 at 12:29 pm

I LOVED Wayne's World. I watched it a lot throughout the summer of 1992. I owned the soundtrack and of course would blast "Bohemian Rhapsody." I like Tia Carrere's version of "Ballroom Blitz," too.

Even though Ed O'Neil played a minimal role in the movie, I thought he was SO dead on. SO funny! I gotta watch it again - it's been at least 6 years and I was watching it on VHS then - DVD would be Much better!

Yeah, Ed O' Neil was hilarious! I loved Tia's version too!

Stay Tuned was funny!! "Start me up, you gotta start me up"

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/23/06 at 5:08 pm

But sometimes stupidity makes the best comedy.  I'm not talking about you here, but some people seem to think that if something is "stupid", it's not funny, as if something has to be witty to have humor.  Sometimes the fact something is stupid is why it's supposed to be funny.  It's like Stephen Colbert, the right wing character he does says incredibly stupid things.  And it's hilarious.  That's the POINT.

Sorry, just a little rant I had to get out.  I HATE it when I'm talking about a funny part from a movie and somebody says "derr that movie was suh stoopid!". ::)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 03/23/06 at 10:42 pm

Yeah, Ed O' Neil was hilarious! I loved Tia's version too!

Stay Tuned was funny!! "Start me up, you gotta start me up"

I liked "Stay Tuned" a lot, too, with John Ritter and, ohh, I can't remmeber her name but she played Mindy on "Mork & Mindy" Oh - Pam Dawber. Funny little movie even though probably only kids would enjoy it. I still have a guilty pleasure with "Hook," too, only because I could sort of relate to the kids about having their Dad gone a lot and stuff.

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/23/06 at 10:56 pm

I liked "Stay Tuned" a lot, too, with John Ritter and, ohh, I can't remmeber her name but she played Mindy on "Mork & Mindy" Oh - Pam Dawber. Funny little movie even though probably only kids would enjoy it. I still have a guilty pleasure with "Hook," too, only because I could sort of relate to the kids about having their Dad gone a lot and stuff.

Why is "Hook" a guilty pleasure? Its one of the really good movies from the 90s.

Written By: ktelqueen on 03/23/06 at 11:01 pm

The Bodyguard
Scent Of a Woman
My Cousin Vinny

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/24/06 at 1:16 am

The movie got me into "Bohemian Rhapsody" too (it made an average song great, just because of what I now associate it with!). Yeah, Glenn, the Mikita's Donut shop manager with alot of pent up anger was funny.

P.S. The DVD is great, especially the commentaries (I always love those!). :)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 03/24/06 at 1:18 am

Why is "Hook" a guilty pleasure? Its one of the really good movies from the 90s.

Well, according to many, many people and critics, it was deemed as awful - one of Spielbergs worst - but to me, I could associate with a lot in the movie - so to me, it's good - so phooey to the rest!  ;D

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 03/24/06 at 1:21 am

The movie got me into "Bohemian Rhapsody" too (it made an average song great, just because of what I now associate it with!). Yeah, Glenn, the Mikita's Donut shop manager with alot of pent up anger was funny.

P.S. The DVD is great, especially the commentaries (I always love those!). :)

Yeah, I actually had known little about Queen before I saw Wayne's World, so having been introduced to Bohemian Rhapsody by watching that film was GREAT! Even Gary Wright's "Dream Weaver" was a guilty pleasure even though that song was being totally mocked in the film.

I was really tempted tonight to stop at Hollywood Video and rent Wayne's World, but I think I'll do that over Spring break when I have some time to breathe!

Thanks for giving the info on Ed O'Neil's character. I could never remember his name - except for the fact he did work at the donut shop.

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/24/06 at 1:22 am

Ya know, I think the '90s were very popular for these kind of "kids'" movies - where they're technically intended for, or aimed at a younger audience (say, 8-13), but can easily be enjoyed by teens/adults too.

I guess the same could be said for alot of animated Sitcoms.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 03/24/06 at 1:24 am

Ya know, I think the '90s were very popular for these kind of "kids'" movies - where they're technically intended for, or aimed at a younger audience (say, 8-13), but can easily be enjoyed by teens/adults too.

I guess the same could be said for alot of animated Sitcoms.

The 90's were definetly better off with "family" oriented films. There's hardly anymore of that stuff around. And if it is around, it's like a spin off of an 80's or 90's film or of a really lame 70's remake. I think Pixar and Dreamworks are the only ones who are really dishing out quality kids films at this point of time.

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/24/06 at 1:25 am

^^ I think I might've heard "Another One Bites the Dust" (though that also could've been a few years later - I heard alot of '70s/early '80s music for the first time around the mid '90s), but I also didn't much know who Queen was either. They make it hard not to like, though. ;)

P.S. Strangely, I never picked up on the movie making fun of "Dream Weaver". ;D I always liked it too (sort of a '70s prom type rock ballad).

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/24/06 at 1:28 am

The 90's were definetly better off with "family" oriented films. There's hardly anymore of that stuff around. And if it is around, it's like a spin off of an 80's or 90's film or of a really lame 70's remake. I think Pixar and Dreamworks are the only ones who are really dishing out quality kids films at this point of time.

Agreed totally. I really think the '90s were a great time to be a kid. I even used to kinda wish I was a few years younger at times. I loved alot of "kiddie" movies like that, but might've been kinda embarrased to admit liking a movie centering around a 10 year old when I was 14. Now, I could care less, though, partly out of the nostalgia factor. ;)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 03/24/06 at 1:31 am

Agreed totally. I really think the '90s were a great time to be a kid. I even used to kinda wish I was a few years younger at times. I loved alot of "kiddie" movies like that, but may have not wanted to admit liking a movie starring a 10 year old kid when I was 14. Now, I could care less, though.

Exactly. Also, the 90's were probably the last of the "real" animation, when it was actually drawn and not computer generated, too. I'm kinda glad I grew up in the time frame that I did because even if I was a little old for some of that stuff, I didn't look half as bad as my brother who was still singing the "Gummi Bears" theme song at age 17. Or better yet, in 1999, one of my good friend's Chris would sing the theme to "Rescue Rangers" perfectly and without any care who was listening, lol.

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/24/06 at 1:37 am

^I forget off the top of my head, but is your brother older than you? Well, I'm not too different than him 'cause in 1999 I still sung the "Ninja Turles" theme song from the arcade game. ;)

Yeah, definitely, '90s cartoons (well, pre-1997) felt advanced, but not entirely dependant on computers. And, stuff like early Simpsons, while having some material that might go over the heads of a kid under 10 (or with some "adultlike" situations) was still fairly family oriented.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 03/24/06 at 1:43 am

^I forget off the top of my head, but is your brother older than you? Well, I'm not too different than him 'cause in 1999 I still sung the "Ninja Turles" theme song from the arcade game. ;)

Yeah, definitely, '90s cartoons (well, pre-1997) felt advanced, but not entirely dependant on computers. And, stuff like early Simpsons, while having some material that might go over the heads of a kid under 10 (or with some "adultlike" situations) was still fairly family oriented.

Ohh, he's about 2 1/2 years older than me. He was born Aug. 18th 1979. I'm sure if I asked him today, he could still sing it, too  ;D Sometimes it's just so fun to go back to those memories you had as a child. I often love to try and belt out "It's A Hard Knock Life" from "Annie" because I must've listened to the soundtrack of that a bajillion times. I think I even warped the tape somehow from the tape player overheating.

The 90's is a bit of a paradox, because a good portion of it offered quality kid oriented films, and then things started to downgrade a bit towards the second half of the decade (fortunately when I was nearly out of my teens and past that stuff).

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 11/23/07 at 1:37 pm

In 1992, I saw Boomerang, The Bodyguard, Sister Act, and South Central in the movies.  It's a shame that I didn't get to see Class Act and Juice in the movies. :\'(  Thank God for cable that shows it to you a year after its release which is a good thing. That way, you ain't missing anything.  At least it was current enough to say that you saw it in the 1990s instead of 2000s.

Written By: Davester on 11/23/07 at 1:54 pm

The only good  movies from '92, that I can remember, are A Few Good Men, Glangarry GlenRoss and the remake of Of Mice and Men with Gary Sinise and John Malkovich.  I watched none of them in the theater but rented them afterwards...

Glangarry GlenRoss is easily among the best movies of the entire decade, IMO...

Written By: Dagwood on 11/23/07 at 6:24 pm

Death Becomes Her
A League of Their Own
Wayne's World (yes, I did the Bohemian Rhapsody car scene whenever I got in a car with my crew!)

Same three I picked.

Written By: snozberries on 11/23/07 at 10:04 pm

I picked a League of Their Own & My Girl.

I saw almost every movie on the list but couldn't decide on a third....

I couldn't pick other because I don't usually think about the exact year a film came out  (Bad Film Studies Major BAD!!!  ;D)... I'm just happy to know the decade.

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 11/24/07 at 9:24 am

i was obsessed with Cat Woman after Batman Returns came out. when my brothers and i would play, i always wanted to be Cat Woman, which was probably one of the first signs that i was gay.

Written By: robby76 on 11/24/07 at 8:30 pm

From the list... The Bodyguard, Death Becomes Her and Sister Act.

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/25/07 at 11:21 am

Wanye's World is a classic! I think I'll buy it on DVD. The other 2 I picked are Batman Returns and Alladin.

Check for new replies or respond here...