inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Was there a blood and gore fixation during the '90s?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/23/06 at 6:27 pm

The '90s really seemed like a blood-stained decade, even if they were in reality no more so than the '70s and '80s.

The TV, news, etc, all seemed to heavily reflect around violence.  From school shootings to bombings to organ-filled Nickelodeon cartoons, the decade seemed to be filled with mulitated bodies, moreso than the '80s and '00s.

Am I the only person that notices this?

Subject: Re: Was there a blood and gore fixation during the '90s?

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/23/06 at 6:31 pm

No you aren't. I think the 90's were way more violent in terms of what was shown on t.v. I tend to beileve that there was a backlash against this after 9/11.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/23/06 at 6:32 pm

No you aren't. I think the 90's were way more violent in terms of what was shown on t.v. I tend to beileve that there was a backlash against this after 9/11.

At least the latter half.  1990-1994 was probably less violent than now.  The very worst was probably like 1997-2000.

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/23/06 at 6:35 pm

Yeah, I think especially 1994-2001 was like this. School shootings, oddly, seem to have dropped out of the headlines. Doesn't mean they're not still going on, but you don't hear about it every couple months like circa 1998.

Perhaps 9/11 made people see how serious/tragic it could be, and there wasn't really the "cool" factor in it anymore?

Also, you had guys like Beavis & Butthead who had the "Yeah yeah yeah, explosions are cool!" mentality. That almost seems outdated and silly now, if you know what I mean? They were 15 and I bet many 10 year olds today would find them immature. ;D

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/23/06 at 6:38 pm

Yeah, I think especially 1994-2001 was like this. School shootings, oddly, seem to have dropped out of the headlines. Doesn't mean they're not still going on, but you don't hear about it every couple months like circa 1998.

Perhaps 9/11 made people see how serious/tragic it could be, and there wasn't really the "cool" factor in it anymore?

Also, you had guys like Beavis & Butthead who had the "Yeah yeah yeah, explosions are cool!" mentality. That almost seems outdated and silly now, if you know what I mean? They were 15 and I bet many 10 year olds today would find them immature. ;D

I think up to early 2001, we still had innocence as a society, so violence was still shocking. By 9/11 people sort of decided, "You know what?  Violence sucks."  ;D  In fact, I can imagine Beavis and Butt-head saying that  ;D

In the early '90s saying "F*ck" in a song was a big deal, today it's a big deal not to. 

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/23/06 at 6:43 pm

Yeah I remember in 1998/'99 school shootings were on CNN every other week it seemed like. Yeah I do agree that they started to cut down on violence in TV alot more after 9/11.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/23/06 at 7:26 pm

After 9/11, I think there was a big movement towards things being more wholesome, cuddly, and more "comforting", and people stopped wanting to see and hear gorey violence via the news (school shootings and pedophiles), music (gangsta rap), and video games. There just seems to be less adoration of gratuitous violence and exposed organs in general nowadays. The '90s were saturated by this stuff, and I agree when the Cold War ended, people were looking for a scapegoat. Like in the '20s with prostitution, temperance, and organized crime after WWI.

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/23/06 at 7:48 pm

We had a fascination with graphic violence in primary school...but it was more a fantasy thing. Video games, movies.etc we never really acted it out. I think games like Mortal Kombat, Resident Evil.etc were sort of reflective of our pre-occupation of violence. I remember drawing lots of very violent, graphic pictures in school...my teacher was probably a little *worried* about me.  :)

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/23/06 at 9:43 pm

Yeah there was.  Thats part of the reason Mortal Kombat was so big for awhile.

Check for new replies or respond here...