inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: the late Dale Earnhardt..did you like him or hate him?

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 03/26/06 at 9:40 pm

I liked him, he was a man who knew how to win races..yeah he was assertive on the racetrack, but IMO that's what made him a legend!

Subject: Re: the late Dale Earnhardt..did you like him or hate him?

Written By: whistledog on 03/26/06 at 10:03 pm

I liked him.  I didn't know much about him, but I remember him being in the news all the time for winning races.

I still see cars with bumper stickers featuring his number, and in hobby stores, they still sell memorabilia with his number and sig

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/26/06 at 11:27 pm

I don't have an opinion, as I knew nothing about him.

Written By: La Roche on 03/26/06 at 11:32 pm

He refused to use new safety equipment.

He died.

Oh well  ::)

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/26/06 at 11:34 pm

Personally I don't know much about him, but I'd heard his name before. I recall seeing him in some commercials circa '96 and thought he seemed like a cool enough guy. I was saddened to hear of his death when it happened a few years ago.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/27/06 at 12:56 am

Personally I don't know much about him, but I'd heard his name before. I recall seeing him in some commercials circa '96 and thought he seemed like a cool enough guy. I was saddened to hear of his death when it happened a few years ago.

Yeah.  Even though I hate NASCAR it's tragic when anyone dies, on some level.  But I'm sure he was a cool enough guy, I'd hang with him given the option.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/27/06 at 1:23 am

I don't really have much of an opinion as I hate NASCAR.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 03/27/06 at 10:19 am

I don't have an opinion, as I knew nothing about him.

Same here. I am not a fan.

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 03/27/06 at 11:45 am

I've always pulled for him, even since I was a kid, because his last name is similar to mine.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/27/06 at 11:46 am

I've always pulled for him, even since I was a kid, because his last name is similar to mine.

Okay, Alan Bernhart  ;D

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 03/27/06 at 12:45 pm

Okay, Alan Bernhart  ;D
Shhhhh...

Written By: Watcher29 on 03/28/06 at 8:12 am

Well, I'm sure he was a good driver. Other than that, I don't know a lot about him except he sure was popular.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 03/28/06 at 4:56 pm

What really ticked me off is all the people who said really nasty things about him after he passed away...Maybe he wasn't the politically correct, oh-so perfect role model like Jeff Gordon...I was, and will always be, a fan of NASCAR, Dale Earnhardt, and Dale Jr.

To those who don't like NASCAR...To each his or her own.

Written By: La Roche on 03/28/06 at 5:03 pm

What really ticked me off is all the people who said really nasty things about him after he passed away...Maybe he wasn't the politically correct, oh-so perfect role model like Jeff Gordon...I was, and will always be, a fan of NASCAR, Dale Earnhardt, and Dale Jr.

To those who don't like NASCAR...To each his or her own.

So what is the full story behind him and the safety gear.

I know he didn't want it in his car and the official inqueries showed that were he useing it he could have survived, why did he refuse it?

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 03/28/06 at 5:18 pm

So what is the full story behind him and the safety gear.

I know he didn't want it in his car and the official inqueries showed that were he useing it he could have survived, why did he refuse it?
I'm not really sure...I know Dale Sr. never wore a full visor on his helmet, he wore goggles instead..I don't think he liked the HANS device, he figured he didn't need it because he was pretty good at avoiding trouble and he claimed it was uncomfortable...but it still did not make his death easier for fans to accept..and I don't think it ever will. What really got my goat was the press wanted the coroner's office to release autopsy photos..the Earnhardt family said no way. IMO it would have been exploiting Dale Sr, and the press seems to feast on celebrity deaths.

Written By: gord on 03/28/06 at 6:35 pm

I'm not really sure...I know Dale Sr. never wore a full visor on his helmet, he wore goggles instead..I don't think he liked the HANS device, he figured he didn't need it because he was pretty good at avoiding trouble and he claimed it was uncomfortable...but it still did not make his death easier for fans to accept..and I don't think it ever will. What really got my goat was the press wanted the coroner's office to release autopsy photos..the Earnhardt family said no way. IMO it would have been exploiting Dale Sr, and the press seems to feast on celebrity deaths.

and I think he was just a little stubborn and set in his ways when it came to using the HANS, safety in racing has come a long way.

I liked Dale, I'm glad I got to see what I think was the last race he finished, he was on the covette team at the rolex 24 hr and co drove with his son, the conditions were terrible with alot of rain and at night, Dale Sr. did really well, Dale Jr. spun out a few times but nothing serious.

Written By: La Roche on 03/28/06 at 7:04 pm

Yeah, that sounds like it the HANS device. Supposedly, if he hadn't refused to use it, he'd probably be alive.

Written By: Skippy on 03/29/06 at 12:21 am

Yeah, that sounds like it the HANS device. Supposedly, if he hadn't refused to use it, he'd probably be alive.

Maybe, maybe not. It was believed that a seat belt broke, possibly from improper installation. If this is the case the HANS would probably have been ineffective since the belts hold it in place. He'd also had neck surgery and this could have caused a weakening in that area. There were a lot of coulda's, woulda's, and shoulda's after the fact, but it can't change anything. 
I first saw him racing in the late 70's, before his rookie year, on ABC's Wide World of Sports. After watching for about 20 minutes I looked over at my older brother and said "I think we're watching the next (Richard) Petty". He being a Petty fan of course said "No Way".

Written By: Dukefan on 03/29/06 at 5:50 pm

I liked him.  I still think he is the king of Nascar.

Written By: loki 13 on 03/29/06 at 8:46 pm

I was not an Earnhardt fan but I greatly respected him on and off
the track.I can only wonder how these arrogant rookies and young
guns would act if he was still around.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 03/31/06 at 6:53 pm

I was not an Earnhardt fan but I greatly respected him on and off
the track.I can only wonder how these arrogant rookies and young
guns would act if he was still around.
You mean, like Kurt Busch?

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 03/31/06 at 6:58 pm

I will always be an Earnhardt fan..I don't see myself, ever, being a Jeff Gordon fan. Everything as far as publicity and especially TV commercials go, it's usually Jeff Gordon, Jeff Gordon, Jeff Gordon, and more Jeff Gordon...the only time other driver's ads are shown is during a race. I guess the media loves squeaky-clean Jeffy...

Written By: loki 13 on 04/01/06 at 11:09 am

You mean, like Kurt Busch?

Especially Kurt Busch!

Check for new replies or respond here...