inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Diversity of the Late '90s Rock Scene

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/27/06 at 12:16 am

One thing I miss about the late '90s alot nowadays is the diversity in the rock scene that went on then...there was such a multitude of stuff, even in 1999, and even if I didn't like all of it that much. There was pop-punk (Blink 182, All-American Rejects, Smash Mouth, The Offspring, that period's Green Day), post-grunge (Everclear, The Gin Blossoms, Alanis Morisette, Hootie and the Blowfish, Tonic), that period's alt rock (Radiohead, Beck, Sublime, Phish, Cake), nu metal of all sorts (System of a Down, Limp Bizkit, Korn, Godsmack), the ubiquitous teen pop, techno, etc.

Subject: Re: The Diversity of the Late '90s Rock Scene

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/27/06 at 12:24 am

I forgot about the other female artists still active during the period, like Aimee Mann, Natalie Imbruglia, Sarah MacLachlan, Tori Amos, and stuff like Rammstein and Eve 6. Also, there were alot more good singles, like "Barbie Girl" by Aqua, some of Lenny Kravitz's stuff from that period, and Vitamin C's "Graduation."

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/27/06 at 12:57 am

Were All-American Rejects late '90s?  I thought they were '00s emo.

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/27/06 at 12:58 am

Were All-American Rejects late '90s?  I thought they were '00s emo.

They debuted in 2002.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/27/06 at 12:58 am

They debuted in 2002.

They did? I'm tired, don't mind me...

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/27/06 at 1:00 am

They did? I'm tired, don't mind me...

Yea I was pretty sure they were not around in the '90s and checked, it was 2002. Everything else there was around in the late '90s I'm pretty sure.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/27/06 at 1:00 am

They debuted in 2002.

The earliest emo stuff I remember is from about 2000, although i didn't know what emo was then.  However, there's probably really early mainstream examples from 1998 and 1999, such as Jimmy Eat World.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/27/06 at 1:09 am

The earliest emo stuff I remember is from about 2000, although i didn't know what emo was then.  However, there's probably really early mainstream examples from 1998 and 1999, such as Jimmy Eat World.

I think there's a divide between emo pop-punk like Good Charlotte and Jimmy Eat World and more "true" indie emo like Alexisonfire and Bright Eyes.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/27/06 at 1:11 am

I think there's a divide between emo pop-punk like Good Charlotte and Jimmy Eat World and more "true" indie emo like Alexisonfire and Bright Eyes.

I really don't even care about what's "truly" emo: to me any whiny rock from the zeroes is emo.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/27/06 at 1:12 am

I really don't even care about what's "truly" emo: to me any whiny rock from the zeroes is emo.

Neither do I, really. It'll all be emo, indie "cred" disregarded, pretty soon anyway.

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/27/06 at 2:31 am

I think today's 'rock' scene (which you really must define) is as diverse as any time in the 90s...

You have more easy-listening type stuff in the Elliott Smith vein,

Quirk art-rock groups like the Fiery Furnaces, Dresden Dolls, Feist

Psuedo-classic rock like the White Stripes, Wolfmother.etc

Straight-edge metalish bands like Bodyjar...

Fusion, cross-over.etc.etc

Written By: Tanya1976 on 03/27/06 at 10:21 am

Most of the bands/artists you listed were around before the late 90s. They were around early to mid 90s. By the late 90s, copycat bands emerged from them.

Check for new replies or respond here...