inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 1999

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/27/06 at 6:40 pm

Discuss 1999 here.  I think I've said enough about it in other threads, so I'll let others talk first.

Subject: Re: 1999

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/27/06 at 6:52 pm

It was the biggest year for boy bands/teen pop. The economy was at it's best. Millionaire and other game debuted late in the year. Pokemon was at it's peak. Latin pop was popular as well.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/27/06 at 6:58 pm

^Everything Brian06 said and let us not forget Bill Clinton and Y2K mainia.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/27/06 at 7:05 pm

It was the biggest year for boy bands/teen pop. The economy was at it's best. Millionaire and other game debuted late in the year. Pokemon was at it's peak. Latin pop was popular as well.

1999 had a major zeitgeist.  You felt like you were in an era then, if that makes sense. 2000 was like a lesser 1999.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/27/06 at 7:58 pm

1999 had a major zeitgeist.  You felt like you were in an era then, if that makes sense. 2000 was like a lesser 1999.

Yeah, I agree. 1999 had a zeitgeist feel to it...like a weird combination of things at one time creating that feeling. 1967, 1977, 1984, 1992, and 2004 are other years like this, that made you feel like you're in an "era." That zeitgeist had alot of things about it that made it unique. Like the whole Y2K scare, Columbine, nu metal, Futurama, the oddly booming economy, Britney Spears, The Backstreet Boys, TLC...it was the real cornerstone year of the late '90s when everything came together to make a totally distinct era in alot of ways. Like a surreal prosperity kick everyone was afraid would end by supernatural means.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 03/27/06 at 10:50 pm

Totally awesome year for movies. Totally Horrific year for mainstream music.

Written By: woops on 03/27/06 at 11:30 pm

Starting hating MTV, though 1997 was the year when it "jumped"

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/28/06 at 12:54 am

As years go by, 1999 seems now like an ordinary year for me.

Written By: whistledog on 03/28/06 at 1:45 am

Y2K was real, atleast for me anyways.  When midnight hit, I was online, and suddenly, I got the blue screen of death.  When I re-booted, i noticed my computer clock no longer worked.  Ever since, I had nothing but problems with my computer, so about a year later, I eventually succumbed and got a new one

Written By: p on 03/28/06 at 2:44 am

I loved the music of this year! Will2K  ;D! good times... crap year in school though :( grade 4..had the meanest teacher

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/28/06 at 7:47 am

Yeah, I agree. 1999 had a zeitgeist feel to it...like a weird combination of things at one time creating that feeling. 1967, 1977, 1984, 1992, and 2004 are other years like this, that made you feel like you're in an "era." That zeitgeist had alot of things about it that made it unique. Like the whole Y2K scare, Columbine, nu metal, Futurama, the oddly booming economy, Britney Spears, The Backstreet Boys, TLC...it was the real cornerstone year of the late '90s when everything came together to make a totally distinct era in alot of ways. Like a surreal prosperity kick everyone was afraid would end by supernatural means.

Maybe because it was the 'end of the 20th century' and the end of the millenia. I remember many commentators saying sort of the saying thing with 1969. The Manson Murders, Altamont, Moon Landing, 'end' of the Age of Aquarius and Hippy Dream. In L.A. that summer there was a sense of 'apocalptia' caused by the 'zeitgeist' you speak of  (don't exactly know what that means). But indeed, those things made it really distinctive compared to the fairly noteless year of '98.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/28/06 at 12:27 pm

Maybe because it was the 'end of the 20th century' and the end of the millenia. I remember many commentators saying sort of the saying thing with 1969. The Manson Murders, Altamont, Moon Landing, 'end' of the Age of Aquarius and Hippy Dream. In L.A. that summer there was a sense of 'apocalptia' caused by the 'zeitgeist' you speak of  (don't exactly know what that means). But indeed, those things made it really distinctive compared to the fairly noteless year of '98.

1939 sort of had a similar feeling, with the beginning of WWII, and 1929 too to a certain extent, with the Great Depression.

Check for new replies or respond here...