inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 1995

Written By: Miss Nostalgia on 03/27/06 at 7:58 pm

I think 1995 was a good year of the 90's. I loved the way I thought and felt then, that was right after my family and I moved in our house we live in now and I was a freshman in high school until the summer of that year.

Subject: Re: 1995

Written By: audkal on 03/27/06 at 8:24 pm

Definitely a wonderful year.....I was in Kindergarten going on 1st grade.  It was the year my brothers and I started homeschooling.  Also, my Grandparents were still alive.  Good times.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/27/06 at 9:20 pm

I can remember 1995, although not well.  I was 5 most of the year.  Good times, can't remember crap about the music but i've filled myself in.

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/27/06 at 9:41 pm

I was 8 and pretty much just enjoying being a kid. I remember the year fairly well. The Oklahoma City Bombing and OJ trial I was both aware of. Music I don't really much other than hearing a couple songs and Boyz II Men being popular. Movies I was pretty well aware of, I saw Toy Story and Father of The Bride Part II in theaters. I knew about Batman Forever, Jumanji, and Pocahontas and saw them on tape later. I also used the internet for the first time in 1995.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 03/27/06 at 10:54 pm

It was probably the best year for mainstream music in the 90's. Horrible year for wrestling. Mostly great movies.

Written By: woops on 03/27/06 at 11:32 pm

Was watching cartoons, though got tired of  Power Rangers  ::)  :D

Written By: Tanya1976 on 03/28/06 at 12:02 am

It was a good year. I was a college sophomore and living in my own apartment!!! Out of the dorms finally!

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/28/06 at 12:52 am

As years go by, 1995 seems now like an ordinary year for me.

Written By: whistledog on 03/28/06 at 1:47 am

1995 was the year that the greatest 90's song came out ... "Runaway" by E'Voke 8)

Written By: Webstor on 03/28/06 at 6:21 am

For me, it was the best summer ever.  I just graduated high school.....was going to college in the fall.....
and my friends and I hung out and partied all summer long!

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/28/06 at 7:44 am

1995 was the definitive 90s year...Pity I was too young to remember BRITPOP.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/28/06 at 12:37 pm

IMO, 1995 is about as far as you can date back most stuff that's still stuck around in our culture through the '00s. With Alanis Morisette, it was the start of grunge being more poppy in alot of ways and the start of the more upbeat period of the '90s, even if the '90s was still all '90s until 1997. In alot of ways, it was the year grunge started to die down as a "force", and new trends came up to take its place. Nine Inch Nails, The Smashing Pumpkins, Weezer, Live, The Presidents of the United States of America (the anti-grunge), Everything But the Girl, Hootie and the Blowfish, Alanis Morisette, and Oasis all got huge fanbases in 1995 even if alot of their first substnatial stuff was in 1994.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/28/06 at 12:47 pm

IMO, 1995 is about as far as you can date back most stuff that's still stuck around in our culture through the '00s. With Alanis Morisette, it was the start of grunge being more poppy in alot of ways and the start of the more upbeat period of the '90s, even if the '90s was still all '90s until 1997. In alot of ways, it was the year grunge started to die down as a "force", and new trends came up to take its place. Nine Inch Nails, The Smashing Pumpkins, Weezer, Live, The Presidents of the United States of America (the anti-grunge), Everything But the Girl, Hootie and the Blowfish, Alanis Morisette, and Oasis all got huge fanbases in 1995 even if alot of their first substnatial stuff was in 1994.

Yeah, the '00s borrows a lot from the mid '90s too, for sure.

Written By: Roadgeek on 03/28/06 at 12:51 pm

I'm more of a fan of 1994, but '95 was good too. The early-mid 90's has plenty of nostalgia to me.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/28/06 at 1:57 pm

1995 rocked. I was in the third grade then, watched fox kids club and other great cartoons. Pop culturally it wasn't anything special and if I had been 18 instead of 8 I way have even hated it but it was my childhood so give me a break. Also Toy story was cool too.

Written By: Miss Nostalgia on 03/28/06 at 5:34 pm

I also remember Mighty Morphin Power Rangers The Movie came out then & I saw it in theaters and The Indian In The Cupboard too!

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/28/06 at 7:11 pm

I also remember Mighty Morphin Power Rangers The Movie came out then & I saw it in theaters and The Indian In The Cupboard too!

Yeah I saw the power rangers movie too in '95. The Indian In the Cupboard was cool too.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/28/06 at 8:07 pm

Yeah I saw the power rangers movie too in '95. The Indian In the Cupboard was cool too.

Two people remember Indian in the Cupboard?  :)

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/28/06 at 8:29 pm

I remember it - and the books as well.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 03/28/06 at 9:27 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: whistledog on 03/28/06 at 9:40 pm

Does that one go "Runaway, Runaway, Runaway and ??? your mind"? It was a club hit, right?

It was a club hit yes, but I believe the one you are thinking of is "Runaway" by MC Sar and the Real McCoy :)

Here is a clip of the one by E'voke ... Runaway

Written By: Tanya1976 on 03/28/06 at 10:02 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: audkal on 03/28/06 at 10:43 pm

I saw Inidan in the Cupboard in theaters.....I should really rent it again, for old-times-sake.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/28/06 at 11:22 pm

I saw Inidan in the Cupboard in theaters.....I should really rent it again, for old-times-sake.

i would ... but I'd probably be shot  ;D

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/29/06 at 12:58 am

I think it was Nirvana (rather an Alanis Morisette, which was hardly grunge), far from starting off or creating the blueprint for Grunge, actually made it more poppy. If you listen to say, the Melvins, Kurt Kobain's favourite band, you will here the grunge sound, just a lot less melodic and not in the conventional pop-song format.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/29/06 at 12:43 pm

I think it was Nirvana (rather an Alanis Morisette, which was hardly grunge), far from starting off or creating the blueprint for Grunge, actually made it more poppy. If you listen to say, the Melvins, Kurt Kobain's favourite band, you will here the grunge sound, just a lot less melodic and not in the conventional pop-song format.

Yeah, Nirvana comprimised there sound alot on Nevermind. And even though they made there sound a bit rougher on In Utero, Nevermind was kind of the definative grunge record so everyone copied the formula afterwards. Pre-1991 grunge sounds alot different from post-Nevermind grunge.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/29/06 at 1:42 pm

Nirvana made grunge radio-friendly and more accessible and melodic, then people like Alanis Morisette (barely grunge) took the influence to create post-grunge, which then turned into mediocre grunge pop (Creed, Nickelback, Audioslave, et. al.)

Written By: Darren Elliott on 03/30/06 at 7:25 pm

I think 1995 was a good year of the 90's. I loved the way I thought and felt then, that was right after my family and I moved in our house we live in now and I was a freshman in high school until the summer of that year.

well what a coincidence i was too...september 1995 i started high school!!

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 03/30/06 at 7:52 pm

I was 13 years old. We had just moved into our new home that previous December so we were enjoying our first year there. It's hard to believe that "new" home is 12 years old now. I was just beginning my slight obsession with oldies music. I also started home schooling that year, although it was not TOTAL home schooling as I did have to go to the school and do computer work and some P.E. and also visit my teacher once a week for an hour.

1995 was really dominated with the OJ stuff, so it sorta put a dark shadow on the year, as well as the death of Selena and the Oklahoma City Bombing. It was also a time where my mom and I traveled a lot and she was nice enough to go drive into unknown terrains that I urged her to try out, lol.

Written By: rich1981 on 03/30/06 at 11:07 pm

I was 13/14 at the time and for me this is my most talked about year of the decade as there were many changes going around at the time. This was the year that I got my communion  and confirmation from church, also the same year that I (as well as my bro) left home to go to Mexico city in the summer for the usual vacation, except it ended up in us enrolling in a private school over there, where many of the students picked on me after a month which was even worse than I had it back at my old school. Eventually we decided to leave in the November and re-enroll at my old school. It was also the year I underwent puberty and developed symptoms of depression. This year definitely was the bridge between my youth and young adulthood as I took my life more seriously.

More than that, as I read the book,  saw the movie as well as The Return of The Indian. I need to buy a copy.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 03/30/06 at 11:11 pm

I remember the movie coming out, but I never read the book in school so I didn't have an itching feeling to go see it. All I remember is Harrison Ford's wife wrote the script for it (Melissa Matheson) and I was more into movies with him in it at the time more than anything.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/31/06 at 1:39 pm

I remember the movie coming out, but I never read the book in school so I didn't have an itching feeling to go see it. All I remember is Harrison Ford's wife wrote the script for it (Melissa Matheson) and I was more into movies with him in it at the time more than anything.

I read the book back in '95 but didnt go to see the movie either.

Written By: Guest on 04/13/06 at 11:46 pm

What a great year '95 was for me! I turned twelve and officially hit puberty. In January at the beginning of the year I moved into my new house and in the fall I entered junior high. I remember going to see movies like Batman Forever (In fact, I still have one of those glass cups they gave away at McDonalds), The Big Green, Indian In the Cupboard, Heavyweights, Houseguest, Toy Story, Mortal Kombat. I don't recall a whole lot of the songs unfortunately but I do remember really liking Coolio's "Gangsta's Paradise". During the summer I went swimming quite a lot at the local aquatic center and spent a lot of time recording with my new camcorder, which is antique compared to today's digital ones but remember this was the mid '90s folks  ;). During this year I discovered sex for the first time or became fully aware of it through skin flicks on Cinemax and the publicity surrounding the NC-17 flop Showgirls. I also remember Hugh Grant being arrested and going on Jay leno and admitting "I did a bad thing", the OKC bombing, which I watched on the news since I stayed home from school that day, the O.J. verdict on TV in my science class. 1995 was personally my favorite year of the '90s with 1990, 1991, 1994, and 1996 coming close behind.

Written By: jersey_bwoy2078 on 04/14/06 at 8:55 am

I agree....I went to Las Vegas for the first time when I was 16 in March 1995. I also got drunk for the first time in my life.  Summer of that year I was announced as a drum major for my high school marching band for my senior year...yay, and that year was pretty awesome for the changing and branching for music.  Yes...1995 was a good year. 8)

Written By: nikki89 on 04/14/06 at 1:55 pm

From what I remember 1995 was a great year. I turned 6 and was in Kindergarden and 1st grade. I saw Toy Story and Indian in the Cupboard in the theater and was into Power Rangers. I don't really remember any more specifics, though. BTW, it's weird that so many people saw Indian and the Cupboard. I saw it on a field trip, but I never saw it again, dont' really remember if I liked it.

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 04/14/06 at 3:50 pm

I liked 1995 too, both for my personal life and pop culture.  This is the reason I picked it as "the most 90s year" in that thread you guys have, where most of you are picking 1993 or 1994.

The only bad aspect of this year for me came in the fall, I was working in a movie theater briefly to get some extra money for college.  It was a TERRIBLE job.  Probably my worst job ever as a kid.  Someone told me it's an easy job to pick up extra cash and I believed them.  As an usher I wound up being the janitor, and I distinctly remember being forced to take out a big ass ladder and climb 20-25 feet to change a marquee sign during a violent thunderstorm.  This was one year before stadium theaters took over in '96, so there were still smaller old style theaters around everywhere, with tall marquee signs.  The kids working there were all so ghetto, and I remember being 20 years old, I was the 2nd oldest one there.  The manager was 1 year older then me and an idiot, and the other kids working there were all 16 or 17, they thought I was an old man because I was 20 and in college.  At that time, being 3 or 4 years older then those kids seemed to make all the difference.  I almost even got into a fight with one of the 16 year olds.  I remember once some customers complained about unruly middle school kids and no one did anything about it, I got fed up and told the kids to leave or I would call the cops, since my manager or none of the high school kids working there wouldn't do anything.  Go to movie theaters today and it's still the same set up, ghetto kids with no ambition but their sleazebag weekends and some early 20s (or younger) immature manager.  But I believe there is at least better security in the stadium theaters today. 

Sorry for the long story, I just remember this incident towards the end of 1995, a downer in an otherwise great year. 

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/14/06 at 5:33 pm

I liked 1995 too, both for my personal life and pop culture.  This is the reason I picked it as "the most 90s year" in that thread you guys have, where most of you are picking 1993 or 1994.

The only bad aspect of this year for me came in the fall, I was working in a movie theater briefly to get some extra money for college.  It was a TERRIBLE job.  Probably my worst job ever as a kid.  Someone told me it's an easy job to pick up extra cash and I believed them.  As an usher I wound up being the janitor, and I distinctly remember being forced to take out a big ass ladder and climb 20-25 feet to change a marquee sign during a violent thunderstorm.  This was one year before stadium theaters took over in '96, so there were still smaller old style theaters around everywhere, with tall marquee signs.  The kids working there were all so ghetto, and I remember being 20 years old, I was the 2nd oldest one there.  The manager was 1 year older then me and an idiot, and the other kids working there were all 16 or 17, they thought I was an old man because I was 20 and in college.  At that time, being 3 or 4 years older then those kids seemed to make all the difference.  I almost even got into a fight with one of the 16 year olds.  I remember once some customers complained about unruly middle school kids and no one did anything about it, I got fed up and told the kids to leave or I would call the cops, since my manager or none of the high school kids working there wouldn't do anything.  Go to movie theaters today and it's still the same set up, ghetto kids with no ambition but their sleazebag weekends and some early 20s (or younger) immature manager.  But I believe there is at least better security in the stadium theaters today. 

Sorry for the long story, I just remember this incident towards the end of 1995, a downer in an otherwise great year. 

That's pretty interesting.  By "small theater" do you mean like you Midwestern small city downtown sort of theater?  I didn't realise they lasted as late as 1995; the more I learn about the '80s and even the '90s the more I realize how much more hi tech things are now.

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/14/06 at 5:40 pm

I also got my first camcorder back in 1995. 1995 was very '90s, I actually remember it quite well. OJ was all over the news. I remember hearing about the verdict in my 3rd grade classroom. Toy Story was the big movie and considered a huge technical feat. The OKC bombing and the federal building being closed for a little while after that.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/14/06 at 7:26 pm

That's pretty interesting.  By "small theater" do you mean like you Midwestern small city downtown sort of theater?  I didn't realise they lasted as late as 1995; the more I learn about the '80s and even the '90s the more I realize how much more hi tech things are now.

Probably by small theatre he means something less than 2 screens. Our last 1 screen theatre shut down in 1993 or 1994. As I've mentioned before, the last movie I saw at that one was "The Coneheads"

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/14/06 at 11:47 pm

Probably by small theatre he means something less than 2 screens. Our last 1 screen theatre shut down in 1993 or 1994. As I've mentioned before, the last movie I saw at that one was "The Coneheads"

You know, I heard about the Coneheads back c. 1994, and thus I've always thought it was an '80s movie.  Only recently did I discover it came out in 1993.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/15/06 at 4:25 am

Yeah, that's probably what he means. One of our last ones of those shut down c. 1999...it was from the 1900s. The rest of ours are still going strong, they show independent films to keep themselves going, as far as I know.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/16/06 at 2:44 pm

You know, I heard about the Coneheads back c. 1994, and thus I've always thought it was an '80s movie.  Only recently did I discover it came out in 1993.

Yeah, I remember going there with my mom and my best friend. It was kinda around the time when those sorts of theatres were out of favor. It wasn't the best movie. It was okay.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/16/06 at 2:48 pm

Yeah, that's probably what he means. One of our last ones of those shut down c. 1999...it was from the 1900s. The rest of ours are still going strong, they show independent films to keep themselves going, as far as I know.

We have a domed theatre in Pleasant Hill (Ca) which plays independent films, too. The theatre itself is from the 1960's and is quite nifty.

Written By: shaneiscrazy on 04/17/06 at 10:58 pm

i was obsessed with fantasy by mariah carey i really loved the ODB remix

Written By: Echo Nomad on 04/17/06 at 11:23 pm

1995 was my senior year  :)

Written By: 90s Guy on 03/16/22 at 12:02 pm

1995 is a mystery to me. I have memories, a lot
But very little video from 1995 to get the vibe of it

My 5th Birthday - 11/1995

JL_fsFWjPf0

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/16/22 at 12:03 pm

1995 is a mystery to me. I have memories, a lot
But very little video from 1995 to get the vibe of it

My 5th Birthday - 11/1995

JL_fsFWjPf0
Video unavailable
This video is private

Written By: 90s Guy on 03/16/22 at 12:03 pm

Video unavailable
This video is private

Fixed

Written By: 90s Guy on 03/16/22 at 12:06 pm

Baptism - May 6th 1995

L5vx_qEguWk

Check for new replies or respond here...