inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Part of the '90s in the 21st Century?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/29/06 at 3:23 am

It is believed that Jesus was born in 4 BC at the latest (assuming he exists).

Does this mean that the '90s is partially in the 21st Century/3rd Millennium, or should it just be seen as an interesting tidbit?

Subject: Re: Part of the '90s in the 21st Century?

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/29/06 at 3:42 am

Whatever you say, Donnie... ;)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/29/06 at 4:22 am

Whatever you say, Donnie... ;)

;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/29/06 at 4:53 am

It is believed that Jesus was born in 4 BC at the latest (assuming he exists).

Does this mean that the '90s is partially in the 21st Century/3rd Millennium, or should it just be seen as an interesting tidbit?

Interesting - I never knew that. If that's true, than 2000 would've really started in 1996 and this would be early '10. ;)

I actually have read a few theories along those lines, not just for Jesus' real birthdate, but also possible inaccuracies in the calendar, before we knew how to tell time as we do now (the "real" calendar was last adjusted by a few days as recently in the 1730's I believe)! In fact, Leap Years ultimately came from attempts to put it on track, when people realized they needed to put more time back into it!

Anyway, this one thing suggested the "real" 2000 started on September 22, 1992. It's all in this reference-type book I have about the year 2000, just everything about it including past predictions, where stuff like the calendar originated, etc.

I may be getting it slightly off. I would go check the info, but I'm actually staying over at a buddy's house tonight, so I'll have to do it once I get home.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/29/06 at 12:33 pm

Interesting - I never knew that. If that's true, than 2000 would've really started in 1996 and this would be early '10. ;)

I actually have read a few theories along those lines, not just for Jesus' real birthdate, but also possible inaccuracies in the calendar, before we knew how to tell time as we do now (the "real" calendar was last adjusted by a few days as recently in the 1730's I believe)! In fact, Leap Years ultimately came from attempts to put it on track, when people realized they needed to put more time back into it!

Anyway, this one thing suggested the "real" 2000 started on September 22, 1992. It's all in this reference-type book I have about the year 2000, just everything about it including past predictions, where stuff like the calendar originated, etc.

I may be getting it slightly off. I would go check the info, but I'm actually staying over at a buddy's house tonight, so I'll have to do it once I get home.

The fact is the calander we use is not accuarate. First off, it wasn't even established until the 1500's(I think) so everything that is dated before that was actually gone back and dated based on the new calander. So they didnt know that,for example, Christopher Columbus found America in 1492, in 1492, they just dated it later.

Written By: Cigaweed on 03/29/06 at 3:41 pm

In one word:

NO!

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/29/06 at 5:06 pm

It's actually something that kind of worries me, since the '90s is the only part of the century I was around for.  Even though I think the '90s are really the early 21st in many ways I still like to think of them as being technically part of the 20th century.  What a nerd I am  ;)

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/29/06 at 5:39 pm

In one word:

NO!

I think he means buisness ;D

Subject: baa

Written By: baa on 03/29/06 at 9:28 pm

I think he means buisness ;D

No, he means business.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/29/06 at 9:32 pm

In one word:

NO!

You've made your point.  If you have nothing else to add, leave.

Subject: Re: baa

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/29/06 at 9:33 pm

No, he means business.

Wow.  He misspelled a word.  Aren't you special.

Subject: Re: baa

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/30/06 at 11:53 am

No, he means business.

Thanks for the tip.

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/31/06 at 3:48 am

It's actually something that kind of worries me, since the '90s is the only part of the century I was around for.  Even though I think the '90s are really the early 21st in many ways I still like to think of them as being technically part of the 20th century.  What a nerd I am  ;)

Yes.. yes you are ;D

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/01/06 at 11:20 pm

Yes.. yes you are ;D

;D

Subject: Oh no. not this again.

Written By: A. Guest on 04/03/06 at 10:41 am

They're not REALLY. But they may feel like it.

Subject: Re: Oh no. not this again.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/03/06 at 3:22 pm

They're not REALLY. But they may feel like it.

You mean, they technically are the 20th, but feel like the early 21st? I can agree with that.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/03/06 at 4:02 pm

The '80s on has felt vaguely 21st century-ish.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/03/06 at 5:12 pm

Yeah a little. The 90's esp. the late 90's really dont feel that much different from 2006.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/03/06 at 7:16 pm

The beginnings of the 21st century were like 1983ish with deindustrialization, the conservative ascendancy, Reaganomics, etc., and the beginnings of the digital revolution.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/03/06 at 7:28 pm

The beginnings of the 21st century were like 1983ish with deindustrialization, the conservative ascendancy, Reaganomics, etc., and the beginnings of the digital revolution.

Yeah, the 80's had a slight 2000's/21st Century vibe to it.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/03/06 at 8:05 pm

Yeah, the 80's had a slight 2000's/21st Century vibe to it.

Yeah, because it was the first decade that really had a noticeable amount of digital tech, even if the early-mid 20th technologies weren't nearly dead like they were in the '90s.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/04/06 at 9:19 am

Yeah, there seemed to be an obsession with technology, computers, robots, virtual reality (killed, no doubt, by grunge culture)...Sci-fi movies like Blade Runner, Star Trek movies, Babylon series, Battlestar Galactica. I don't know whether you'd attribute that to being 'like the 21st century.' In many ways, they were a utopian (or dystopian) view of the more distant future...maybe the 2050s+. I have a feeling the 2010s will be a bit 80s like...

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/04/06 at 12:34 pm

Yeah, there seemed to be an obsession with technology, computers, robots, virtual reality (killed, no doubt, by grunge culture)...Sci-fi movies like Blade Runner, Star Trek movies, Babylon series, Battlestar Galactica. I don't know whether you'd attribute that to being 'like the 21st century.' In many ways, they were a utopian (or dystopian) view of the more distant future...maybe the 2050s+. I have a feeling the 2010s will be a bit 80s like...

I agree. There was an obsession with tech and Sci-fi in the 80's. Maybe because with computers, the beginnings of the internet, CD's, robots, etc. it was the the first decade that actually felt like "the future"

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/04/06 at 12:41 pm

I agree. There was an obsession with tech and Sci-fi in the 80's. Maybe because with computers, the beginnings of the internet, CD's, robots, etc. it was the the first decade that actually felt like "the future"

Yeah that's right. And the 80s were also a very hedonistic, materialistic, individualistic and some way humanistic decade (compared to say, the 60s, where the hippies wanted to 'devolve' and go back to living naked in the trees  ;)). The 90s were sobering in so many ways. Nowadays the idea of a robot servant is not as cool as it was in the 80s (though I can think of few who would pass off the opportunity.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/04/06 at 12:50 pm

Yeah that's right. And the 80s were also a very hedonistic, materialistic, individualistic and some way humanistic decade (compared to say, the 60s, where the hippies wanted to 'devolve' and go back to living naked in the trees  ;)). The 90s were sobering in so many ways. Nowadays the idea of a robot servant is not as cool as it was in the 80s (though I can think of few who would pass off the opportunity.

Yeah, maybe because alot of this stuff was new back in 80's but by the 90's it was somewhat standard. It's ironic though that were here in the 2000's but were probably not nearly as technologically advanced as people in the 80's thought we would be.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/04/06 at 12:52 pm

Yeah, maybe because alot of this stuff was new back in 80's but by the 90's it was somewhat standard. It's ironic though that were here in the 2000's but were probably not nearly as technologically advanced as people in the 80's thought we would be.

I'm actually starting to think the zeroes are the slightest bit futuristic.  For instance, I heard someone just grew a bladder out of some cells.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/04/06 at 12:59 pm

I'm actually starting to think the zeroes are the slightest bit futuristic.  For instance, I heard someone just grew a bladder out of some cells.

:o Really? Haven't heard that one yet.

But, I wont deny the 00's are slightly futuristic but I just think that in the 80's people probably though by now we'd be further than we are tech wise by 2006.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/04/06 at 1:02 pm

:o Really? Haven't heard that one yet.

But, I wont deny the 00's are slightly futuristic but I just think that in the 80's people probably though by now we'd be further than we are tech wise by 2006.

definitely. i mean hell only like 3 tourists have gone into space.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/04/06 at 2:20 pm

Futuristic-shmuturistic. Our vision of the future is based exclusively on a '50s-'70s view that we'll be living with robot maids.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/04/06 at 2:29 pm

definitely. i mean hell only like 3 tourists have gone into space.

I know. Back then they probably thought we'd have colonized Mars by now ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...