inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Briefly Popular '90s Music Fads

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/02/06 at 10:27 pm

The '90s seemed to have more of these than the '00s and to an extent the '80s...

Latin pop and Latin-flavored rock.
Top 40 Techno.
Country pop (Faith Hill, Shania Twain, The Dixie Chicks)
Diva song stylists (Celine Dion, et. al.)
"Women in Rock" (Meredith Brooks, Natalie Imbruglia, Alanis Morisette, Aimee Mann, Sarah MacLachlan, etc.)
Alternapop and college rock pop (The Goo Goo Dolls, Crash Test Dummies, Tonic)
Jam bands
Rapcore
Nu metal
Garage punk/ska
Punk pop a la NOFX and Operation Ivy
Grunge-pop
Folk-accented alternapop (Barenaked Ladies)
Very fast deathcore-style metal
Shock rock (Insane Clown Posse, Marilyn Manson)

Subject: Re: Briefly Popular '90s Music Fads

Written By: whistledog on 04/02/06 at 10:35 pm

how about the swing music revival brought back by Brian Setzer and his hit "Jump Jive an Wail".  The nex tthing you knew, all these swing bands were popping up, and GAP were using swing music in their ads. 

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 04/02/06 at 10:38 pm

A lot of those are still around and popular to my reckoning

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/02/06 at 10:40 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/03/06 at 7:23 am

The '90s seemed to have more of these than the '00s and to an extent the '80s...

Top 40 Techno.
Country pop (Faith Hill, Shania Twain, The Dixie Chicks)
Diva song stylists (Celine Dion, et. al.)
"Women in Rock" (Meredith Brooks, Natalie Imbruglia, Alanis Morisette, Aimee Mann, Sarah MacLachlan, etc.)
Alternapop and college rock pop (The Goo Goo Dolls, Crash Test Dummies, Tonic)
Jam bands
Rapcore
Nu metal
Garage punk/ska
Punk pop a la NOFX and Operation Ivy
Grunge-pop
Folk-accented alternapop (Barenaked Ladies)
Very fast deathcore-style metal
Shock rock (Insane Clown Posse, Marilyn Manson)

Since I didn't really remember following music in the 90s, my memories are vague, but I sort of remember the Garage thing in the mid 90s with Reef, Mighty Mighty Bosstones. Sort of gave birth to many great bands. 'Grunge-pop' is actually what most people knew as 'Grunge' - i.e. Nirvana, while alot of the others you mentioned never really waned in popularity.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/05/06 at 6:42 pm

The shortest lived fad in the history of music. Talk about 15 minutes of fame ;D

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/06/06 at 5:51 am

The shortest lived fad in the history of music. Talk about 15 minutes of fame ;D

I think it was like 1996-2000, beginning with the Macarena and ending with Ricky Martin's "She Bangs." Since then, Latin pop is nada en esta nacion.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/06/06 at 12:05 pm

I think it was like 1996-2000, beginning with the Macarena and ending with Ricky Martin's "She Bangs." Since then, Latin pop is nada en esta nacion.

Yeah, and it only had one really  big year in 1999. By the end of 2000 no one cared anymore.

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 04/06/06 at 1:18 pm

Hmm... oooh kay. What are artists like Shakira, Juanes, and Luis Fonsi, to name a few?

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/06/06 at 1:19 pm

It was more like 1999-2002 actually.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/06/06 at 2:07 pm

Makes me realize how trendy the '90s are compared to the current '00s, where "trends" last 5 years  ;D

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/06/06 at 2:59 pm

Makes me realize how trendy the '90s are compared to the current '00s, where "trends" last 5 years  ;D

True. I cant really think of any really short lived trends in the 2000's thus far(meaning a fad that lasted a year or two)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/06/06 at 5:13 pm

True. I cant really think of any really short lived trends in the 2000's thus far(meaning a fad that lasted a year or two)

Normally I would think trends going away is a good thing, but it's not so much that trends have disappeared but rather they refuse to go away.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/06/06 at 6:54 pm

Yeah, and it only had one really  big year in 1999. By the end of 2000 no one cared anymore.

I put it at 1996 because of the Macarena. But the real peak was 1999-2000.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/06/06 at 7:17 pm

I put it at 1996 because of the Macarena. But the real peak was 1999-2000.

True, but the Macarena didn't create the same kind of latin music explosion in '96 as Ricky Martin did in '99. Even though you could argue that they were both part of the same fad.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/06/06 at 7:30 pm

True, but the Macarena didn't create the same kind of latin music explosion in '96 as Ricky Martin did in '99. Even though you could argue that they were both part of the same fad.

I think it was more a theme that ran through the mid-late '90s, like jazz was a '70s theme, and Caribbean-style music is an '00s theme. It was a theme that exploded in 1999-2000 with Santana, Ricky Martin, and Enrique Iglesias.

Written By: paradisecity on 04/09/06 at 6:58 am

Ha, it's still around.

It's one of the most popular genres of music, in fact.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/09/06 at 9:18 am

I also recall there was an interest in 'ethnic music' in the mid to mid-late music, especially 'fusion' and 'modern interpretive' type music. Deep Forest is one good example, perhaps much inspired by David Byrne's 'The Forest' or Paul Simon's 'Graceland' as well as supposedly more 'authentic' ethnic music. Indeed, I believe Deep Forest's 'Sweet Lullaby' actually charted sometime in 1997 (correct me if I'm wrong).

Written By: SpaceHog on 04/10/06 at 9:05 am

Ha, it's still around.

It's one of the most popular genres of music, in fact.

How could anyone forget Marc Anthony?

Written By: 5*19*86 on 04/20/06 at 3:36 am

I remember a couple of Songs that were kind of Big Sensations at the time, but it only lasted for 1 month.  First there was "Stomp!" by Kirk Franlin in the Fall of 1997.  I thought this was going to become the New Macarena, I heard it constantly on the Radio and we even had to do our own dance routine for it at school during a Talent Show.  The Song was only popular during like September and October of 1997, then it died off

Another one I remember was a song called "Du Hast" by Rammstein back in July of 1998.  Alot of the kids were buzzing about it and MTV would play the Music Video for it alot after Midnight (Remember MTV's "After Hours"?)  but that song eventually died off too within 3 weeks or so

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/20/06 at 2:40 pm

Rammstein was very big in the late '90s and early '00s, I remember.

Written By: chaka on 04/22/06 at 2:52 pm

Rammstein was very big in the late '90s and early '00s, I remember.

They still are quite popular in Germany.

Check for new replies or respond here...