inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Were the 90s a less happy decade than the 00s?

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/14/06 at 7:35 am

The term is a bit vague, but aside from superficial references to 'teen angst' and 'goth' (the predecessor to 'emo' but probably more hard-core) and the grunge philosophy, was it, in general, a more sombre period in history?

Subject: Re: Were the 90s a less happy decade than the 00s?

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/14/06 at 7:51 am

No.

It was a happier decade with darker pop culture.

Written By: jersey_bwoy2078 on 04/14/06 at 8:48 am

The 90s teen was angry because mommy and daddy wouldn't let them go out and play.  The 00s teen is angry because they are posers.  Honestly, do you think that the teens of EMO have anything benificial to complain and be angry about?  Just like the grunge, goth, angst kid of the 1990s, the EMO and Ska kids are, mostly in fact,  predominately your typical suburban case...hardcore by day and crybabies by night.  So I'd have to say that the 90s kids actually had SOMETHING to be sad about (regardless that most of it made no sense), and the 00s kids are sad because they think that wearing tight plaid pants are cool...so they're actually happy.  Tell you what...I'd be pretty darn sad too if I had to wear those god forsaken pants.... :\'(

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/14/06 at 12:04 pm

The '90s were happier.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/14/06 at 12:08 pm

No.

I agree 100%. It was a happier decade than the 00's with a darker pop culture.

Written By: sonikuu on 04/14/06 at 1:02 pm

The 90's were a much happier decade than the 00's, although they themselves couldn't see that.  I think a lot of people took the 90's for granted while it was actually going on. 

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/14/06 at 1:17 pm

I agree 100%. It was a happier decade than the 00's with a darker pop culture.

I agree.  Superficially, the '90s were a darker time.  On the surface, they were a decade filled with gore, school shootings, pedophiles, blown-up buildings, amusement park accidents, gangsters, TV-influenced arson, and scandals.  But when you look it at more closely, they probably weren't much worse than the '80s for crime, and most of the decade saw rapidly falling crime rates.  The economy was great, there was a technological boom unmatched since at least the turn of the 20th Century, and there was no Cold War scapegoat hanging over society.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/14/06 at 1:26 pm

I agree.  Superficially, the '90s were a darker time.  On the surface, they were a decade filled with gore, school shootings, pedophiles, blown-up buildings, amusement park accidents, gangsters, TV-influenced arson, and scandals.  But when you look it at more closely, they probably weren't much worse than the '80s for crime, and most of the decade saw rapidly falling crime rates.  The economy was great, there was a technological boom unmatched since at least the turn of the 20th Century, and there was no Cold War scapegoat hanging over society.

Yeah, people did really not appreciate the 1990s at all when they were going on. There was alot of paranoia over more minor social issues as opposed to the glaring international policy and economic issues that we have right now...all people (and the news media) cared about were gangs, scandal, goths, pedophiles, satanic rituals, shark attacks, etc. There was alot of free-floating white suburban paranoia.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/14/06 at 1:27 pm

Yeah, people did really not appreciate the 1990s at all when they were going on. There was alot of paranoia over more minor social issues as opposed to the glaring international policy and economic issues that we have right now...all people (and the news media) cared about were gangs, scandal, goths, pedophiles, satanic rituals, shark attacks, etc. There was alot of free-floating white suburban paranoia.

My theory on this is because since there was no Cold War (except for in 1990 and 1991), there needed to be a new scapegoat.  That is, crazy Russians and nuclear bombs became kids with guns and abusive dads, which later became crazy Arabs and exploding airplanes.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/14/06 at 1:28 pm

My theory on this is because since there was no Cold War (except for in 1990 and 1991), there needed to be a new scapegoat.  That is, crazy Russians and nuclear bombs became kids with guns and abusive dads, which later became crazy Arabs and exploding airplanes.

Oh, and smokers, homosexuals, and abortionists.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/14/06 at 1:29 pm

Oh, and smokers, homosexuals, and abortionists.

;D

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/14/06 at 1:32 pm

;D

I once read this generational theory thing that links various "great awakenings" as the major forces in American society, in history class. I think the baby boomers have driven the last great awakening in spiritual persuasions and societal reform, both liberal and conservative. It's the whole reason there's all this focus on smoking, it's something people like to pick on though we've gotten down teen smoking as far as possible, it's not going to do anymore...that, and fatty food. Sure, it's a problem, but some people overblow it with the school lunch reforms.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/15/06 at 2:33 am

I guess the manic-depressive atittude was more prevalent as a sub-culture back in the 90s (particularly mid-90s). Death-metal seems less popular these days.

Written By: jersey_bwoy2078 on 04/15/06 at 10:27 am

Death-metal seems less popular these days.

Not where I live...people eat death metal for breakfast.  ;D

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/15/06 at 10:58 am

Sounds gastronomically disagreeable  ;D

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/15/06 at 4:38 pm

Where in Jersey are you?

Written By: deadrockstar on 04/15/06 at 10:04 pm

No.

I agree. 

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/15/06 at 11:29 pm

You know, I think the '80s probably had slightly more "inner city" crime than the '90s. Maybe that's also a reason suburbia and suburban influenced culture was so big in the '80s - the big city was probably viewed like a "ghetto".

Of course, one person may not make the entire difference, but it's been stated before that Giulliani helped clean up New York when he was Mayor (i.e. cleaning up Times Square). I would say, based on what I've seen, the rest of the country also seemed slightly safer in the '90s, perhaps that's one reason the urban culture took off circa 1992 (well, even as early as '89 with Do The Right Thing-type movies).

But, back to the '90s/00s: I think the 90s pop culture was "supposed" to be darker, but the end result was still slightly more fun/lighthearted than the '00s. I know we've mentioned this before, but original Nirvana-type grunge, while more angry on the surface, is in sound, probably less grungy and dark than second rate post Grunge like Nickelback, Incubus, Creed, etc.

Written By: lizjagger on 04/15/06 at 11:41 pm

The 90s were definitely happier.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/16/06 at 1:26 am

The 90s were the decade of school shootings and troubled teens - as well as mass-murder sprees in general, whereas the 00s are the decade of large scale acts of violence, terorism.etc. That's the feeling I get. The Columbine High School shootings in April 99 were probably the culmination of this.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/16/06 at 1:41 am

But, back to the '90s/00s: I think the 90s pop culture was "supposed" to be darker, but the end result was still slightly more fun/lighthearted than the '00s. I know we've mentioned this before, but original Nirvana-type grunge, while more angry on the surface, is in sound, probably less grungy and dark than second rate post Grunge like Nickelback, Incubus, Creed, etc.

I definitely agree with that.  I would even go as far to say that some early '90s grunge is as akin to '80s metal as it is to '00s post-grunge.  The '90s was in a way fun because it was controversial; in the '00s the controversy is just tiring and everything is disgustingly cheesy or dark rather than cheesy or dark in a fun way.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/16/06 at 2:05 am

Mainstream grunge has always had a 'fun' element to it. Nirvana was not truly dark in the way even the Melvins, their biggest influence, were.

Written By: Lee_Marsh on 04/21/06 at 9:04 pm

I couldent agree more.  I didnt realise how good the 90's where until it was over.  I basically wasted the 90's thinking about how "bad" life was when it really wasnt bad at all.  It was one of the best times we've ever had.  Personally, id give anything to go back to that decade.  The 00's in my opinion is a terrible decade.  I think after 9/11 happened it really kinda "killed" the 90's. Personally, theres more of a reason to be sad now than there ever was in the 90's.  I just wish there was something that would change so we could atleast get the feel of that decade back.  Or atleast a decade that is almost just like the 90's.  Maby the next decade could be this way.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/21/06 at 10:17 pm

The 90s were definitely happier.

Do I sense a bit of the rose-tinted vision?

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/22/06 at 5:58 am

I definitely agree with that.  I would even go as far to say that some early '90s grunge is as akin to '80s metal as it is to '00s post-grunge.  The '90s was in a way fun because it was controversial; in the '00s the controversy is just tiring and everything is disgustingly cheesy or dark rather than cheesy or dark in a fun way.

Yeah, I say I have to agree with that...now controversy is tiresome and everything is so loaded down with irony it sickens me.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/22/06 at 8:38 am

Yeah, I say I have to agree with that...now controversy is tiresome and everything is so loaded down with irony it sickens me.

America is one big fan irony...just think about it

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 04/22/06 at 12:25 pm

Yeah, I think I took the 90's for granted. Compared to the 00's, it's the greatest decade ever. It wasn't a overly flashy decade, but had quite a bit of substance.

Written By: chaka on 04/22/06 at 1:58 pm

The 90s were better.
Today alot seems perfect and happy on the surface but if you look underneath..then you'll see what's really going on.
At least in the early 90s with grunge going on,the kids actually showed their anger and frustration,that they were unhappy with their lives but todays teens boast about their socalled perfect lives,goggling MTV non-stop.
MTV should be banned with all this Dismissed,Viva La Bam rubbish.

Written By: jersey_bwoy2078 on 04/22/06 at 8:50 pm

MTV should be banned with all this Dismissed,Viva La Bam rubbish.

I couldn't of said it better myself... 8)

Check for new replies or respond here...