inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 1990s slang and terminology.....still used today!

Written By: jersey_bwoy2078 on 04/14/06 at 7:33 pm

Well I had posted a simular topic on this about a year ago discussing the slang words and terms of the 1990s.  Now I was a teen in the 90s, so I should know all the lingo kids back in my day used with their friends on a day-to-day basis.  What's surprising is that quite a few slang terms are still being used  in 2006, with one most common one of all "It's All Good".  Since 1993-94, that term has been "blowin' up da spot" in the urban world.  It's sooo popular to this day that the older Gen X and even Baby Boomers use it, like it's a novelty term.  What do you think?.....let me know what you used to say back in da day and explain if they still mean alot to you or you regret even saying them as you look back.

Subject: Re: 1990s slang and terminology.....still used today!

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/14/06 at 11:41 pm

The '00s definitely has different slang.  Slang is very fickle.  Nobody says "Da Bomb" or "Wassup" anymore seriously, unless they're dorks, for instance.

Nonetheless, there are plenty of common words.  For instance "wack".

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 04/15/06 at 12:07 am

"Da Bomb"
People who say 'Da' (I mean actually SAY it!) are idiots. Seriously.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 04/15/06 at 1:12 am

Some of the 90s slang that I remember using is "You go, girl", "Whoomp there it is", "Fly", "Da bomb", and "off the chain".

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/15/06 at 2:36 am

Words like 'awesome' and 'sick' are still used in certain circles. 'Wicked' seems like a late 90s thing (I remember it from primary school), while 'Far Out', while it originated in the 60s, is still as used as ever.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 04/15/06 at 2:43 am

Omg, Jersey_Bwoy come back...!!1  :\'(

Written By: jersey_bwoy2078 on 04/15/06 at 10:11 am

Omg, Jersey_Bwoy come back...!!1  :\'(

Whaaaaat? ???

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 04/15/06 at 10:16 am

Whaaaaat? ???

:o

Written By: jersey_bwoy2078 on 04/15/06 at 10:24 am

I remember saying, for a time, dope, sweet, illmatic, and word life.  Instead of calling my friends and other urban aquaintances dogg, homie, or bro, being on the east coast, I called them kid, son, and brah ("bro" with more of a New York accent), and duke... ::)  In 1990s New York-New Jersey, the cops were called jakes, and snakes.  Los Angeles...most will know, the cops were concidered po-po, 5.0, one time and so on.  Just some more words, I used back then, and still catch myself saying every once in a while.... No Diggity...8)

Written By: jersey_bwoy2078 on 04/15/06 at 10:25 am

:o

:D ACK!

Written By: nondiva234 on 04/15/06 at 6:20 pm

I used to say "Wassup" a lot, but now I find it extremely corny to say. It was a fad at my school in the late nineties when that Budweiser commercial came out, but now it's so pass

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/15/06 at 9:38 pm

I used to say "Wassup" a lot, but now I find it extremely corny to say. It was a fad at my school in the late nineties when that Budweiser commercial came out, but now it's so pass

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 04/15/06 at 9:47 pm

"da bomb" is easily the most dated 90s slang.  It's the 90s version of "radical!".  I don't ever hear anyone say "da bomb".  But I do hear people say "wassup" still, not "waaaasssssup dog!", but more "ssup". 

Granted, I am hearing this from the 24 to 35 crowd I am talking about, not teenagers or even 20 year olds.  I think everyone of all ages knows "da bomb" is a very dated slang term, but "wassup" and "you go girl!" is still in use by people in their 20s and 30s.  It also takes a lot of effort to get "da bomb!" out of your mouth and vocalize it, so it's an easy slang term to get rid of and forget about.  But "ssup" is still hanging around with the over 24 crowd.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/15/06 at 9:55 pm

"da bomb" is easily the most dated 90s slang.  It's the 90s version of "radical!".  I don't ever hear anyone say "da bomb".  But I do hear people say "wassup" still, not "wasssssup!", but more "ssup". 

Granted, I am hearing this from the 24 to 35 crowd I am talking about, not teenagers or even 20 year olds.  I think everyone of all ages knows "da bomb" is a very dated slang term, but "wassup" and "you go girl!" is still in use by people in their 20s and 30s.

I never really said "da bomb" much, but I think some of these terms get so imbedded into our minds that we say them without even thinking, almost on kneejerk response. I always took "You go girl" to be like a cheering on response to a friend, so it kinda fits the context anyway.

i.e.
"That cute guy just gave me his number. Should I call 'im?"
"He-llll yeah! You go, girl!"

That's kinda why, I think even when certain slang stops being cool, people hang onto them for so long. Takes you a minute to register, "Oh wait, everyone else stopped saying that five years ago!" ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...