inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 1990s Techno (Electronic) music

Written By: jersey_bwoy2078 on 04/14/06 at 8:14 pm

OOOOOOOOH BOY.......I love this topic, not only because I picked it, but because I LOVE Techno (Electronic) music!!!!!  I have been an avid Techno fan since I was 8 in 1986 (when Chicago house was big).  This is for all the tech heads on here that know what I'm saying.  Here's a look at the evolution of this wonderful, yet noncredited genre of modern music.  Ok...back in 1985, a new form of dance was starting up in places like Chicago, New York, London, and other places in Europe.  People back in the 80s were still trying to get the late-1970s Disco out of their heads and then some dudes named Frankie Knuckles, Darryl Pandy, Kraftwerk, etc....(very few) created this thing called House.  From 1985 to 1989 House was playing in every discotech across the world with its 4-on-the-floor dance beat (composed of drum machines, synthesizers, and Disco era influences).  By 1990 and 1991 house music evolved into a faster, more harder style called Acid House.  By 1991-92 Underground Hip Hop was getting more into sped up break beats with the sounds of tribal Jamaican influences, coined Jungle, which started in the UK, composed of complexed kickdrums, snares and hi-hats set in erratic motions.  Also that same time was the intro to Miami Bass, a strictly for da Jeeps style of urban techno.  1993 saw the introduction of Trance and Hardcore, with heavy distorted basslines and quirky and goofy synth sounds.  In 1994 Jungle evolved into Atmospheric Jungle, Trance got alittle weirder, and House was getting funkier.  1995 and 1996 saw House moving towards more technology making a new sound called Disco House, like you were actually in a nineties version of 1977.  Trip Hop made its debut in this time frame.  1996 saw Jungle develop into a more beat-understandable, yet still musical complex style called Drum & Bass.  Also, 1996 brought on a slower and jazzier style of elelctronic music called Acid JazzNRG, a descendant of Trance, was getting into the mix.  Trance was starting to turn commercial in 1996, with the likes of 2 Unlimited, Le Bouche, and The Real McCoy.  1996 also witnessed a new sound that fused Jungle and House called Speed Garage, also created by our distant relatives in the UK.  By 1997, House was deep into Disco sounds.  Funky House and Filtered House was starting to blow up the scene.  Also in 1997 Hard House, in other words, slower version of Hardcore was very popular in the raves and clubs.  1998 was a big year in techno, when it was decided that there were too many styles out there that represented "different" styles and sub-genres that did not relate to the term "techno" wanted to be coined as "Electronic" or "electronica"  More and more styles added on in 1998 and 1999, making Techno and Electronic Music its own unique, yet criticized and yet to be accepted Enterprise. 
Well there it is, my perspective and my love of this awesome genre.  Love it...hate it...but you can't get away from it! 8)

Subject: Re: 1990s Techno (Electronic) music

Written By: whistledog on 04/14/06 at 8:18 pm

90's Techno, House, Electronica, Dance ... it's all good 8)

I was a big fan, and still am today :)

Written By: jersey_bwoy2078 on 04/14/06 at 8:21 pm

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: whistledog on 04/14/06 at 8:25 pm

Here's a few choice artists that had some great hits ...

Future Sound of London
N-Trance
London Bus Stop
D:Ream
Capital Sound
Emjay
Fun Factory
2 Unlimited
Amber
Livin' Joy
Hyperlogic
The Grid
Snap
Urban Cookie Collective
Pizzaman
Carol Medina
Snap!
Darkness
Bananarama (circa 1995)
MC Sar and the Real McCoy

Written By: jersey_bwoy2078 on 04/14/06 at 8:32 pm

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: jersey_bwoy2078 on 04/15/06 at 11:13 am

OOOOOH....I LOVE DAFT PUNK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Written By: whistledog on 04/15/06 at 12:08 pm

OOOOOH....I LOVE DAFT PUNK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Daft Punk are awesome.  I just bought their Greatest Hits CD a few days ago.

Also Groove Armada and Basement Jaxx 8)

Written By: twistedwarp on 04/15/06 at 2:35 pm

ANY of you know polymarch?

Written By: jersey_bwoy2078 on 04/15/06 at 8:11 pm

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/15/06 at 10:31 pm

I downloaded "Something Good" by the Utah Saints, it's pretty good...I have to say Basement Jaxx and Daft Punk bring back memories of radio c. 1998.

Written By: jersey_bwoy2078 on 04/16/06 at 3:28 pm

I downloaded "Something Good" by the Utah Saints, it's pretty good...I have to say Basement Jaxx and Daft Punk bring back memories of radio c. 1998.

I found the Essential 1 dj mix from 3/2/1997 by Daft Punk before they got popular......oooooooh baby, it's off the hook! 8)

Check for new replies or respond here...