inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Prog-Rock and Funk Revival in the '90s

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/16/06 at 3:20 pm

Does anybody else here agree there was a revival of both prog-rock and funk, pretty seriously '70s genres, in the '90s? I consider stuff like The Smashing Pumpkins, Tool, Primus, The Dillinger Escape Plan, Radiohead, Opeth, Muse, The Flaming Lips vaguely fits into the "prog rock" revival. Funk revival I suppose could be said to include the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Jane's Addiction.

Subject: Re: Prog-Rock and Funk Revival in the '90s

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/16/06 at 9:51 pm

RHCP's and Jane's Addiction are funk? That's news to me...

The 'Funk revival' (if you could call it that) has occured largely in semi-mainstream circles...Jamiroqui is the only super-pop 'dance-funk' performer that has achieved any real stardom, most of the others are better known in Funk/Roots circles.

Subject: Re: Prog-Rock and Funk Revival in the '90s

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/16/06 at 10:30 pm

RHCP's and Jane's Addiction are funk? That's news to me...

The 'Funk revival' (if you could call it that) has occured largely in semi-mainstream circles...Jamiroqui is the only super-pop 'dance-funk' performer that has achieved any real stardom, most of the others are better known in Funk/Roots circles.

They definitely have funk influences...they're more alt-rock with funk overtones.

Check for new replies or respond here...