inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Nu Metal, "Mallgoth", and Industrial Rock Part of Larger Subculture?

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/16/06 at 3:34 pm

I may've said this before, but I think from like 1997-2003 these three were part ultimately of a larger subculture that peaked in 2001 in opposition to the dominant hip-hop pop and teen pop of the time period. This was largely a pretty "commercial" subculture...one of the ways in which they were unified was adoption of similar preoccupations like dark comic books and things like that.

Subject: Re: Nu Metal, "Mallgoth", and Industrial Rock Part of Larger Subculture?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 04/16/06 at 5:31 pm

I may've said this before, but I think from like 1997-2003 these three were part ultimately of a larger subculture that peaked in 2001 in opposition to the dominant hip-hop pop and teen pop of the time period. This was largely a pretty "commercial" subculture...one of the ways in which they were unified was adoption of similar preoccupations like dark comic books and things like that.

Is this bands like Sum-41 and Good Charlotte?  Because at one point that sh*t was everywhere and I couldn't get why people were listening to it on an endless loop.  Suddenly everyone started dressing like employees at Hot Topic.

Subject: Re: Nu Metal, "Mallgoth", and Industrial Rock Part of Larger Subculture?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/16/06 at 6:07 pm

Thankfully there are no Hot Topic stores in Canada.

Check for new replies or respond here...