inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Pearl Jam

Written By: RheemO on 04/18/06 at 4:12 am

Who liked,

Pearl Jam and why?

They started something along with Nurvona and others so, where is this type of music today?

Subject: Re: Pearl Jam

Written By: Red Ant on 04/18/06 at 5:14 am

Who liked,

Pearl Jam and why?

They started something along with Nurvona and others so, where is this type of music today?

I liked their first 2 CDs Ten and Vs, and a bit from their 3rd, the name of which escapes me at the moment. I have the Greatest Hits 2 CD set, which is about as much as you could want. I haven't kept up with their lastest material.

Why do I like them? They had good songs that were story telling. Vetter does mumble a lot of words, but not to the point where I can't understand him at all.

As for this type of music today, it is long since dead. Pearl Jam, along with Nirvana, Soundgarden, and my favorite Alice in Chains were all part of first generation alternative, and all hailed from Seattle (though AiC is more metal than alternative). STP was first generation alternative too, but from San Diego.

Nirvana - Kurt's suicide in 1994 ended them.

Soundgarden - Disbanded in 1997, last album in 1996. Chris Cornell is now in Audioslave, which I call "Soundgarden Lite". Out of Exile is still a very good CD.

STP - disbanded ?, last album was 1998 I think. Weiland is/was in Velvet Revolver with the non-Axl Rose members of Guns N' Roses.

Alice in Chains - last full CD was 1996's "Unplugged". Layne Staley died in 2002. Jerry Cantrell has released 2 solo CDs. As much as it pains me to say it, "Boggy Depot" and "Degradation Trip" aren't very good. There was a tribute reunion last year with the remaining members of Alice in Chains with Maynard Jame Keenan of Tool and a few others doing vocals. No idea if a revamped Alice in Chains is on the way.

Pearl Jam - still together, though I haven't heard any of their new material. Apparently it isn't all that great as older Pearl Jam is what is played on the radio here. This group was called Mother Love Bone at first - Andrew Wood's death in 1990 brought in Vetter and the name change.

A few other bands of this era I like that are not grunge but that fit the bill:

Smashing Pumpkins - never could stand Billy Corgan really. They disbanded in 2000 I think. Billy Corgan made a band called Zwan which is no longer together either.

Faith No More - Disbanded in 1998 I think, last CD was 1996. Angel Dust is one of the top 5 CDs of the 90s. Lead singer Mike Patton has many side projects, including Mr Bungle.

Red Hot Chili Peppers - No idea if they are still together. They, like Faith No More and Soundgarden, formed in the early 80s and didn't really hit it big until much later.

Sublime - A bit different group here but their only CD was very good. Singer Brad Nowell died in 1994 before the CD was released.

Drain STH - Consider this group a hot female version of Alice in Chains. Freaks of Nature was their last release here in 1999. They too are disbanded.

Mad Season - a one time supergroup with Layne Staley as lead vocalist. Their one CD "Above" is very good.

Some 2nd generation alternative is good, but most of what passes as alternative today is dreck compared to the original Seattle groups.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/18/06 at 12:24 pm

I liked their first 2 CDs Ten and Vs, and a bit from their 3rd, the name of which escapes me at the moment. I have the Greatest Hits 2 CD set, which is about as much as you could want. I haven't kept up with their lastest material.

Why do I like them? They had good songs that were story telling. Vetter does mumble a lot of words, but not to the point where I can't understand him at all.

As for this type of music today, it is long since dead. Pearl Jam, along with Nirvana, Soundgarden, and my favorite Alice in Chains were all part of first generation alternative, and all hailed from Seattle (though AiC is more metal than alternative). STP was first generation alternative too, but from San Diego.

Nirvana - Kurt's suicide in 1994 ended them.

Soundgarden - Disbanded in 1997, last album in 1996. Chris Cornell is now in Audioslave, which I call "Soundgarden Lite". Out of Exile is still a very good CD.

STP - disbanded ?, last album was 1998 I think. Weiland is/was in Velvet Revolver with the non-Axl Rose members of Guns N' Roses.

Alice in Chains - last full CD was 1996's "Unplugged". Layne Staley died in 2002. Jerry Cantrell has released 2 solo CDs. As much as it pains me to say it, "Boggy Depot" and "Degradation Trip" aren't very good. There was a tribute reunion last year with the remaining members of Alice in Chains with Maynard Jame Keenan of Tool and a few others doing vocals. No idea if a revamped Alice in Chains is on the way.

Pearl Jam - still together, though I haven't heard any of their new material. Apparently it isn't all that great as older Pearl Jam is what is played on the radio here. This group was called Mother Love Bone at first - Andrew Wood's death in 1990 brought in Vetter and the name change.

A few other bands of this era I like that are not grunge but that fit the bill:

Smashing Pumpkins - never could stand Billy Corgan really. They disbanded in 2000 I think. Billy Corgan made a band called Zwan which is no longer together either.

Faith No More - Disbanded in 1998 I think, last CD was 1996. Angel Dust is one of the top 5 CDs of the 90s. Lead singer Mike Patton has many side projects, including Mr Bungle.

Red Hot Chili Peppers - No idea if they are still together. They, like Faith No More and Soundgarden, formed in the early 80s and didn't really hit it big until much later.

Sublime - A bit different group here but their only CD was very good. Singer Brad Nowell died in 1994 before the CD was released.

Drain STH - Consider this group a hot female version of Alice in Chains. Freaks of Nature was their last release here in 1999. They too are disbanded.

Mad Season - a one time supergroup with Layne Staley as lead vocalist. Their one CD "Above" is very good.

Some 2nd generation alternative is good, but most of what passes as alternative today is dreck compared to the original Seattle groups.

I was thinking about this this morning while not paying attention in chem class...All of these groups were the core of 3rd generation alternative, I think. 1st generation was the stuff that peaked in the early '80s. The punk, post-punk, and new wave, and English stuff like The Smiths and Elvis Costello. The 2nd wave was hardcore, noise rock like Husker Du and Sonic Youth, the B-52s, Jane's Addiction, Big Black, The Pixies, Pere Ubu, R.E.M. Most of this was over by 1994 at the latest. The 3rd wave started c. 1989. It includes all the aforementioned stuff, the period's British stuff like Oasis, Blur, The Verve, Radiohead, maybe Primus and Tool, and the women-in-rock, like Tori Amos, Liz Phair, Aimee Mann...The 4th wave is the 2000+ stuff, the neo-wave, post-punk revival, indiemo, emo, classic rock reversion, Williamsburg and Montreal scenes, and stuff like Yo La Tengo and the Shins.

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/18/06 at 12:27 pm

Pearl Jam is great. I like Jeremy and Last Kiss. Nirvana is good too. RHCP are still together and have a popular new song "Dani California". "Can't Stop" was also a decent hit in 2002/03.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/18/06 at 12:30 pm

Of the groups you listed, I really like Nirvana and some RHCP and Smashing Pumpkins. The rest I'm not all that crazy about.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/18/06 at 12:46 pm

Pearl Jam, Nirvana, RHCP, STP, AiC, and Soundgarden are all cool.

Written By: Red Ant on 04/19/06 at 2:02 am

I was thinking about this this morning while not paying attention in chem class...All of these groups were the core of 3rd generation alternative, I think. 1st generation was the stuff that peaked in the early '80s. The punk, post-punk, and new wave, and English stuff like The Smiths and Elvis Costello. The 2nd wave was hardcore, noise rock like Husker Du and Sonic Youth, the B-52s, Jane's Addiction, Big Black, The Pixies, Pere Ubu, R.E.M. Most of this was over by 1994 at the latest. The 3rd wave started c. 1989. It includes all the aforementioned stuff, the period's British stuff like Oasis, Blur, The Verve, Radiohead, maybe Primus and Tool, and the women-in-rock, like Tori Amos, Liz Phair, Aimee Mann...The 4th wave is the 2000+ stuff, the neo-wave, post-punk revival, indiemo, emo, classic rock reversion, Williamsburg and Montreal scenes, and stuff like Yo La Tengo and the Shins.

Perhaps I used the wrong term. What I listed was (for the most part) 1st generation, or original Seatlle Grunge. While some post-grunge is good, most of it is cheap, watered-down knock offs of what their predecessors were.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-grunge

Thanks for using the present tense "are" instead of "were". Indeed, they still are cool.

Does anyone here remember Faith No More, aside from "Epic"?

Written By: RheemO on 04/19/06 at 2:38 am

Artist: Faith No More Lyrics
Song: We Care a Lot Lyrics

We care a lot
We care a lot
We care a lot about disasters, fires, floods and killer bees
about Los Angeles falling in the sea
about starvation and the food that Live Aid bought
about disease, baby, Rock Hudson, Rock Yeah!

We care a lot
We care a lot
We care a lot about the gamblers and the pushers and the freaks
about the people who live off the street
about the welfare of all the boys and girls
about you people cause we're out to save the world

Yeah!

And it's a dirty job but someone's got to do it!

We care a lot about the Army, Navy, Air Force, and Marines
about the NY, SF, and LAPD
about you people, about your guns
about the wars you're fighting
gee, that looks like fun

We care a lot about the Cabbage Patch, The Smurfs, and DMC
about Madonna and we cop for Mr.T
about the little things, the bigger things we top
about you people, yeah, you bet we care a lot

And it's a dirty job but someone's gotta do it....

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/19/06 at 2:34 pm

Thanks for using the present tense "are" instead of "were". Indeed, they still are cool.

Does anyone here remember Faith No More, aside from "Epic"?

Yeah, just because some of them aren't around anymore dosen't make them any less cool.

Written By: chaka on 04/22/06 at 3:05 pm

Pearl Jam are an amazing band.
The reason I prefer them to Nirvana is simple: while Nirvana offers destruction, Pearl Jam offers release, and then hope...

Most people only think about Jeremy,Alive and Black when they hear Pearl Jam bit there are so many amazing songs and the only reason why most people haven't heard them is because Pearl Jam refused to become a mainstream band.
After Vs.,the next albums were less radio-friendly, Vitalogy still was very popular even though the band first released it on vinyl.
Next came No Code and it's with this album that the band's popularity slowly declined i.e. all the kids who only listened to Pearl Jam because it was cool were left behind..luckily.
Even if Pearl Jam isn't very popular nowadays they can still be very proud because they know that their fans are true fans, who really care about their music.

Pearl Jam's new album is self-titled and it'll be released the 2nd May, that's something I'm really looking forward too.
The first single off the album is called "Worldwide Suicide",it's quite a catchy song.
I urge you to check it out and also "Unemployable"

Written By: ralfy on 03/31/16 at 8:06 pm

"Jeff Ament on Pearl Jam's 25th Anniversary Tour, Next Album"

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/jeff-ament-on-pearl-jams-25th-anniversary-tour-next-album-20160302

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/31/16 at 8:07 pm

I liked Pearl Jam because of Even Flow. Really early 90s, man.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/31/16 at 10:12 pm

My opinion on all of these bands has not changed.

Written By: #Infinity on 04/01/16 at 2:16 am

I love all of the big 5 grunge bands. Pearl Jam tended to have the most compelling storytelling of the groups. Unlike most people though, I'm actually more of a fan of their mid-late 90s work like No Code and Yield than I am of their early 90s stuff. They got really experimental beginning with Vitalogy, and in my opinion that elevated the sense of adventure that their dark lyrics already entailed. "Even Flow" is still my favorite song of theirs, however.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 08/07/16 at 4:39 am

I grew up listening to Pearl Jam when I was a kid in the Mid 2000's. I used to be able to name every single song on their debut album, Ten, when I was 5 and 6! :P "Alive" is my favourite Pearl Jam song.

Written By: Ripley on 08/07/16 at 11:16 am

I never picked one over the other when it came to Pearl Jam and Nirvana. In some songs Eddie sounds better and in some Kurt did. And to me Nirvana sounded more teen angst type where as Pearl Jam was more sullen. Its good to have a bit of both. But to be honest, I wasn't a big fan of either one. I was never that into Grunge. But I loved Sound Garden. Chris Cornell is hot too 😗

Written By: aja675 on 08/14/16 at 11:15 am

I remember how in a Civics subject book from elementary, Pearl Jam was a trick answer when the right answer was coconut jam.

Check for new replies or respond here...