inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Britpop vs. Grunge, Nirvana vs. Pearl Jam vs. Oasis vs. Blur

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/23/06 at 5:40 am

Which do you listen to more/like more? What do you think about the four main players in the Grunge and Brit-pop movements?

Subject: Re: Britpop vs. Grunge, Nirvana vs. Pearl Jam vs. Oasis vs. Blur

Written By: chaka on 04/23/06 at 5:50 am

I certainly prefer "grunge".
Well what should I say of the "Big Four"?
They're amazing  :D
You can't beat Alice In Chains,Layne's voice is crazy,it's amazing.
Pearl Jam are still going strong with a new album out the 2nd May (1st here in Europe  :D )
Soungarden rock so hard,it's a shame people only remember the Superunknown album because their previous stuff are amazing.
And Nirvana...well what can I say.

I think it's a shame that alot of other great bands of the time are forgotten like Mother Love Bone, Screaming Trees, Mad Season, Green River and MUDHONEY! They rock and they're also still around with a new album (Under A Billion Suns) that was released in March.

Grunge may be dead but it certainly lives on..somehow.
Just forget this post-grunge rubbish like Nickelback etc..

Written By: Red Ant on 04/23/06 at 6:57 am

I certainly prefer "grunge".

Me too.

Well what should I say of the "Big Four"?
They're amazing  :D
You can't beat Alice In Chains,Layne's voice is crazy,it's amazing.

Layne's voice is one of the best I've ever heard, and certainly the best in the genre, though Chris Cornell's voice is a very close second.

Pearl Jam are still going strong with a new album out the 2nd May (1st here in Europe  :D )

Haven't followed Pearl Jam much in recent years, but I look foward to their new album.

Soungarden rock so hard,it's a shame people only remember the Superunknown album because their previous stuff are amazing.

I always thought Down On The Upside was their best work, and Badmotorfinger better than Superunknown. I have all 3 of these CDs, and Superunknown isn't bad, but isn't their best. I'd love to get some of their pre-Badmotorfinger CDs.

And Nirvana...well what can I say.

Everyone is gay?  ;D All Apologies lyrics, not my own words there, but I couldn't resist.

I think it's a shame that alot of other great bands of the time are forgotten like Mother Love Bone, Screaming Trees, Mad Season, Green River and MUDHONEY! They rock and they're also still around with a new album (Under A Billion Suns) that was released in March.

Mad Season's "Above" is a killer CD. Barret Martin Baker from Screaming Trees and Mike McCready from Pearl Jam are on it along with Layne. Mark Arm (from Mudhoney) can be heard on "Right Turn" on the Sap CD. Also, I've found a fairly rare Alice in Chains/Pearl Jam collaboration called "Alone", not to be confused with the Pearl Jam song by the same name. Don't forget Temple of the Dog, and Mark Lanegan from Screaming Trees also did "Long Gone Day".

In other words, they aren't forgotten.

Grunge may be dead but it certainly lives on..somehow.
Just forget this post-grunge rubbish like Nickelback etc..

Audioslave isn't bad, and some of Godsmack's stuff is really good. I like a lot of Tool's and KoRn's works too, though I'm not sure if they are considered post-grunge. Days Of The New, Big Wreck and The Nixons had promise, well, not really - they had one or two songs that were great anyway.

Written By: whistledog on 04/23/06 at 1:25 pm

Blur and other Brit-Pop like bands were good

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/23/06 at 8:26 pm

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: Ged on 06/13/06 at 7:41 pm

Cornell was a better singer than Staley.

Blur were also better than Oasis, though Oasis benefit from some disgracefully blatant anti-Blur media coverage.

Written By: Ged on 06/14/06 at 6:38 am

I also meant to say that I prefer the grunge movement. The bands were simply more talented than the britpop brigade generally (barring the obvious Radiohead - though I don't consider them britpop). Ironically, Nirvana were probably the least talented of the big four of grunge. 

Written By: chaka on 06/14/06 at 8:22 am

Ironically, Nirvana were probably the least talented of the big four of grunge. 

Yeah,I agree.If you compare them to the other 3 you see there's much more creativity in those bands but hey,if Kurt wasn't dead,Nirvana would have also moved on in another direction.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 06/14/06 at 10:01 pm

I prefer Britpop. But I consider myself more of a British music fan than American. The only grunge bands that I thought were outstanding were Soundgarden and Alice in Chains. Nirvana and Pearl Jam are highly overrated.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/14/06 at 11:37 pm

Yeah,I agree.If you compare them to the other 3 you see there's much more creativity in those bands but hey,if Kurt wasn't dead,Nirvana would have also moved on in another direction.

No one can doubt Kurt's prodigious talent as a songwriter - even if alot of his songs did sound the same, but yes, I agree Nirvana were perhaps the least creative of the four in terms of versatility, variety.etc. Blur were the most 'arty' of the four bands.

Written By: Scotty on 06/16/09 at 6:51 am

Grunge, definately. More power, better riffs and in a live environment, they sheesh on Britpop. How do you compare the two. Grunge is heavy rock and punk spliced with the ability for amazing ballads. Britpop is bubblegum pop. Its catchy immediately but with bands like Pearl Jam, the songs are growers. I love Pearl Jam but I love the music from No Code and on. The songs grow over time which make for better records. Soundgarden made the classic Louder Than Love and continued with every album until their demise. Alice and Chains put out some amazing material and The Screaming Trees were brilliant. Britpop just bores me to tears. Nothing there but hooky corus lines and upbeat happy music. Irritating to say the least. The Manchester scene a few years before were brilliant. Stone Roses and Ride were excellent bands. Oasis were too one dimentional and Blur were too poppy. I think Oasis were probably irritated by the fact they wanted to be the biggest rock band in the world from that 90's era but must have resigned themselves to the fact that Pearl Jam were always slightly ahead in terms of popularity. Pearl Jam on the otherhand did no want to be huge and seemed at every opportunity to destroy they're fame. Now they seem pretty cool with it but how many bands can turn their back on making videos and sprurn interviews yet still sell in excess of 60 millions records worldwide. Not many, thats for sure. Pearl Jam play the MEN arena in Manchester whilst Oasis will play a large concert hall in Seattle. The only problem with grunge is that it created grunge light, ie. Creed, Puddle of Mudd, Staind, and they sheeshtiest band around... Nickleback. At least Britpop influenced a lot better bands and will never be associated with the sheesh that came out of America following the breakups and deaths of numerious Grunge bands.

Written By: 90steen on 06/16/09 at 12:12 pm

My vote would go to britpop. It was a little more popular when I was in highschool than grunge was. I never listened to too much Nirvana or Pearl Jam. I wasn't too affected when I found out Kurt Cobain died the way all the grunge fans in my 8th grade class were.

But I was never too big on rock. And like Scotty said, britpop was a lot more bubblegum ish. I liked Blur, loved Oasis. And other britpop bands like Real McCoy and Republica. The grunge I was more into came out later in decade, after the craze slowed down, but before it died and the teen pop came out. From 1995 - 1997. Bands like The Smashing Pumpkins, whom a lot don't even consider to be a grunge band but i always have. And a lot of more underground grunge bands like Birdbrain.

Written By: shackled on 06/20/09 at 10:41 am

I play bass.
Need I say more?  ;)

I worshipped all the above mentioned grunge bands, and wore out more than a few tapes...
Gun by Soundgarden is my favorite song to this day.

Written By: Step-chan on 06/20/09 at 5:03 pm

Grunge definetly. Nirvana, is of course, my most listened to band nowadays.

Written By: anabel on 06/20/09 at 5:34 pm

I liked them all at one point or another. Also Soundgarden too. But the only one I STILL listen to of all those mentioned is OASIS. Those guys are so badass, they kick each other's asses regularly.

The Grunge scene altered our music landscape forever, but the Brits did way before that, and continue to do so.

"What's The Story, Morning Glory?" is one of those cd's I'd have to have if stranded on a desert island. Perfect from beginning to end.  I have their other stuff too, but that one is my favorite.

Written By: 90steen on 06/20/09 at 5:49 pm

"What's The Story, Morning Glory?" is one of those cd's I'd have to have if stranded on a desert island. Perfect from beginning to end.  I have their other stuff too, but that one is my favorite.

Karamel for that

Written By: Silver Power on 06/22/09 at 3:40 pm

Personally, I love Blur's Parklife album. It's really great, and I've had to buy 3 copies so far from extensive scratches. If I had faster internet, I'd just download the MP3s.

Written By: robby76 on 06/24/09 at 7:46 am

I preferred Brit-pop too. Oasis' first 2 albums were amazing!

Grunge didn't appeal to me at all.

Written By: DuncanMcA on 06/28/09 at 4:12 pm

Blur live at Glastonbury right now

Rock on!

Written By: Step-chan on 07/17/09 at 12:54 am

I'm the same age and I agree about Grunge. I'm also trying to start a rumor that Kobain didn't die and is responsible for secretly producing the Spice Girls, Backstreet Boys, and Glam Rap!   

That'd be a pretty weird rumor.

Written By: Nu Bee on 01/14/10 at 6:52 pm

01. Blur
02. Pearl Jam
03. Nirvana
04. Oasis

:)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 01/17/10 at 4:40 pm

All of the above please!

Written By: Kartikeya on 05/17/11 at 11:51 am

I LOVE OASIS!!!! I'm a DIE HARD FAN OF NOEL GALLAGHER!!!!! Liam is the strongest lead singer ever!
Blur were cool too. I liked Damon Albarn's fun loving songs  ;D

Nirvana is superb too. Their album "Nevermind" is excellent.

But still my vote goes to Britpop!!! My favourite album is "(What's the Story) Morning Glory?"

Written By: joeman on 05/18/11 at 9:50 pm

I don't mind Oasis but I heard the Gallagher brothers are complete assholes to their fans.

Check for new replies or respond here...