inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Postmodern Rock

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/26/06 at 9:10 pm

Does anybody else like this as a term that includes "alt rock" and the alt-influenced music of the '80s and '90s? It would include stuff like R.E.M, grunge, lo-fi (Sebadoh, Pavement), noise rock like The Replacements, Husker Du, and Sonic Youth, alternative metal, alternative pop like the Rembrandts/the Lemonheads/the Sundays, britpop, '90s rave and techno music, Beck, the singer-songwriter/women in rock explosion of the '90s, post-grunge and altpop, pop-punk, and nu metal. This assumes modern rock is that which is punk and immediately sprung from it: classic punk, The Talking Heads, Blondie, The Smiths, The Eurythmics, Elvis Costello, hardcore punk, the Cars, the Cure, synthpop, etc. Then the 2000+ movement is "new modern rock", since it is heavily influenced by this.

Subject: Re: Postmodern Rock

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/26/06 at 9:13 pm

I prefer it to 'alt-rock'....though I assume it doesn't have that much to do with other Postmodern movements, like Art, Sociology, Economics.etc.

Subject: Re: Postmodern Rock

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/26/06 at 9:15 pm

I prefer it to 'alt-rock'....though I assume it doesn't have that much to do with other Postmodern movements, like Art, Sociology, Economics.etc.

Rock really only has cursory associations with any of those.... ;) I think it makes sense because that movement was defined as being after the modern rock revolution and influenced by it but certainly not part of modern rock, at all.

Check for new replies or respond here...