inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: "Are You Jimmy Ray"

Written By: Ebontyne on 04/28/06 at 12:21 pm

Does anybody else remember this one-hit wonder from 1998? For some odd reason, I woke up this morning thinking about it and it dawned on me just how long ago 1998 feels, in some ways. The song came out when I was in Grade 9 and I distinctly remember a classmate mimicking the chorus, which went more or less as follows:

"Are you Johnny Ray? (Who wants to know?)
Are you Slim Ray? (Who wants to know?)
Are you Paid Ray? (Who want to know?)
Who wants to know? Who wants to know?"

Anyway, I tried to search for the video on YouTube.com but I couldn't find it. I wanted to watch the music video again for amusement and, I suppose, nostalgia; I admit I tend to fetishize quirky one-hit wonders years after the artists who perpetrated them have fallen off the face of the earth, as poor Jimmy Ray seems to have done. ;)

Subject: Re: "Are You Jimmy Ray"

Written By: SpaceHog on 04/28/06 at 12:27 pm

www.singingfool.com has the video

Written By: whistledog on 04/28/06 at 12:37 pm

I remember when this song came out, I thought it was really corny.  I somehow knew it would be a one hit wonder, but what a hit it was :o

Written By: Matt the Rat76 on 04/28/06 at 1:37 pm

that has to be the worst song of the 90's

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/29/06 at 12:28 am

Worser than Rico Suave?  ;D

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 04/29/06 at 7:43 pm

This is odd... just today as I was driving around, I saw a campaign banner for the upcoming primary, and a man running for local magistrate is named Jimmy Ray, and I immediately thought of this song... that guy's career lasted about as long as the life span of a fruit fly...  :D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/29/06 at 8:12 pm

that song was so lame....it was one that I turned everytime it came on the radio.

Written By: Ebontyne on 04/30/06 at 12:26 pm

Worser than Rico Suave?  ;D

And don't forget "My Achy Breaky Heart" by Billy Ray Cyrus. I'm still suffering trauma from the time when my elementary school gym teacher forced us to dance to that song in gym class (what the hell happened to playing sports? ;)). Thank god he didn't make us grow mullets too. Sadistic bastard.

Actually, I like songs like "Rico Suave" and "Are You Jimmy Ray" -- not as musical masterpieces, obviously, but as extremely cheesy one-hit wonders that don't take themselves too seriously. They're funny precisely because they're so lame. I find them fun to sort of gawk at and laugh at eight, ten, or fifteen years later, long after almost everybody else has forgotten about them.

Written By: Matt the Rat76 on 05/01/06 at 11:29 am

what ever happend to that lame duck one hit wonder who sing this song

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 05/01/06 at 5:14 pm

Worse than Rico Suave?  ;D

I'm not sure what could be worse than that dreadful song...  ;D

Written By: whistledog on 05/01/06 at 6:15 pm

They should change hte lyrics ...

"Are you Jimmy Ray?  No one wants to know, and they don't even care" ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...