inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Early '90s Style

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/30/06 at 8:11 pm

Is anybody else here a big fan of the whole 1988-1993ish styles? I was just watching Robert Altman's The Player from 1992. I think that the early '90s were a compromise between what was '80s and what would become very '90s styles...like there was big, thick, curly hair but it was often down on women; the short Uma Thurman style; various influences on the Rachel Cut with the waves and bangs; long, messy hair, etc. Like not at the super-straight hair that dominated the 1998-1999 period certainly, but getting away from the style of '80s hair.

Other things from the early '90s that seem like a compromise between '80s and '90s styles:
-The men's suits and women's suits. It seems dressing in a masculine way was briefly popular then, and it was popular for men to wear these blazers with sweeping collars and sunglasses.
-It seems like a neo-art deco, neo-industrial style with alot of black and white and sweeping lines was back in then, with lots of palm trees, glass bricks, and some Spanish-style touches. Lots of very tailored, yet simple stuff, unlike the more elaborate '80s styles, but not as bland as the later '90s.
-Obviously, the neon and "squiggle and triangle" stuff.
-The Rocko's Modern Life and Rugrats style.
-The whole comic book/animation look, which influenced the '90s heavily.
-Lots of dark layers.

Subject: Re: Early '90s Style

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/01/06 at 12:16 am

For the early 90's, I just remember a lot of neon colors and stuff that looked like cheap floral designs on dresses that women wore. I had a lot of neon (like bright green, bright red, yellow, etc.). Jeans were worn tighter then, too. I think that acid washed style was still in, but I HATED that look. I actually wore a few pairs of that style, but I know I had not picked them out (or maybe I did, lol)  ;D

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 05/01/06 at 7:56 am

I certainly remember the slightly big haired curly look on women, in the late 80's/early 90's. Or you could call it "the Jeesie Spano look" and sometimes even bigger.

Written By: jersey_bwoy2078 on 05/01/06 at 3:56 pm

FLAT TOPS.....can't forget the FLAT TOPS!

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/01/06 at 4:20 pm

The late 80's-early 90's(about 1988-1993) is a great time period. There were alot of cool styles and music out back then.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/19/06 at 6:03 pm

Early '90s style: campier clothes than the '80s, slightly less campy haircuts.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/19/06 at 7:19 pm

But don't forget about the flat-top!

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 05/20/06 at 7:31 am

The late 80's-early 90's(about 1988-1993) is a great time period. There were alot of cool styles and music out back then.

The music was cool, but I thought the fashions were terrible.  Even during the early 90s, I remember thinking a lot of the fashions and hairstlyes would not date well, and they didn't by around 1996 or so.  I was there.  (high school c/o 1993)

Written By: Classie83 on 05/20/06 at 9:53 pm

FLAT TOPS.....can't forget the FLAT TOPS!

Ughhh....Those and Gumby's (black men) *shudders to think she thought that was cool*  :-\\

Check for new replies or respond here...