inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 90's Movies you saw in the Theater?

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/01/06 at 7:11 am

Well, if you've seen alot of 90's Movies in the Theaters, then just only list the "Popular" ones you saw

But for me though, I could probably list each 90's film I saw in the Theaters, considering I only saw an average of maybe 3 movies in the Theaters a year during the 90's.  Here is my list, starting with earliest that I can remember

May 1993:  "Super Mario Bros." (The first movie I ever remember seeing in the Theaters)

June 1993:  "Jurassic Park" (I'm so glad I got to witness this in Theaters)

July 1993:  "Rookie of the Year" (Some Baseball Movie where a 12 year old kid pitches for the Chicago Cubs)

July 1993:  "Dennis The Menace"  (Decent movie at the time)

November 1994:  "Pulp Fiction" (Saw this with my friend after his birthday party)

June 1995:  "Batman Forever" (I loved the song by U2 for this movie at the time)

July 1995:  "Clueless" (My 20 something year old cousin came down to visit and took me and my brother to the movies, and my brother insisted on seeing "Clueless" because he thought Alicia Silverstone was Hot.  I ended up liking this movie alot)

August 1995:  "Mortal Kombat" (I wasn't going to miss this movie for the world!)

December 1995:  "Toy Story" (I remember having to sit in the very front row in the theater and could hardly see anything)

June 1996:  "The Cable Guy" (I remember that me, my mother and my brother were the only ones in the theater)

June 1996: "The Nutty Professor"

July 1996:  "Independence Day" (I remember being so fascinated by this movie while watching it, but now I get so bored anytime I watch it)

August 1996: "The Island of Dr. Moreau"  (I still remember seeing the TV Spots for this movie and they creeped the hell out of me with that Lion Man jumping out of the screen with that screaming growl)

December 1997:  "Titanic" (I was dragged to see this 3 times in the theater.  I'll admit though, it was an entertaining movie at the time)

May 1998:  "Godzilla" (Of course, after seeing the Trailer for this movie attached with "Titanic", I just had to see this movie....surprisingly enough, it sucked and left way for a sequel, which was never made)

June 1998:  "The Truman Show"

August 1998:  "Dr. Dolittle"

August 1998:  "Halloween H20" (I've always been a Horror Movie fan, and I was itching to see this)

October 1998: "Bride of Chucky" (See previous comment)

November 1998:  "The Waterboy"  (This was a funny experience because it was the first time they showed the Trailer for "Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace", and right after that trailer ended, half of the crowd left the theater, lol)

February 1999:  "Payback" (Fun movie)

August 1999: "The Sixth Sense" (I remember getting home after seeing this movie on a Sunday afternoon and my mother was at Afternoon church service, so I was home alone and I was so freaked out, so I was a wuss and went into my room and put the sheets over my head.  I kept thinking there would be some creepy ghost in the kitchen)

October 1999:  "The House on Haunted Hill"  (Saw this on Halloween. Loved it)

Wow, I'm surprised I remembered most of them.  Overall, my favorite theater experience was going to see...Jurassic Park, obviously!

How 'bout you guys?

Subject: Re: 90's Movies you saw in the Theater?

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/01/06 at 7:21 am

August 1996: "The Island of Dr. Moreau"  (I still remember seeing the TV Spots for this movie and they creeped the hell out of me with that Lion Man jumping out of the screen with that screaming growl)

Speaking of that, I just found a picture of that Lion Man that creeped me out in the commercial!

http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/5061/moreua7um.jpg

:o

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/01/06 at 7:27 am

Going to the cinema was a real treat back when I was young - we went about once a month, but it was an occasion. The silence when the screen went dark,  the atmosphere...it was fantastic.

I'll list only the most memorable watches;

1. The Adventurers? I remember watching this with a friend, I think, about '91, so it's one of the earliest movies I remember watching.

2. The Pagemaster: A now obscure movie about a boy who enters the worlds of the books he reads, and eventually confronts Jekyll and Hyde. Watched it bout' 93.

3. Jurassic Park: Also remember watching this in about 1993.

4. Lion King: Saw it in '94.

5. Batman and Robin: The first movie I saw at the local cinema when it opened in 1996. I thought it was cool then...now it's just crap..lol

6. Godzilla: I recall watching it about '98.

7. The Six Sense: Saw this in 1999, and didn't find it scary at all.

I saw heaps more, but I can't remember all of em...

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/01/06 at 7:30 am

Going to the cinema was a real treat back when I was young - we went about once a month, but it was an occasion. The silence when the screen went dark,  the atmosphere...it was fantastic.

I'll list only the most memorable watches;

1. The Adventurers? I remember watching this with a friend, I think, about '91, so it's one of the earliest movies I remember watching.

2. The Pagemaster: A now obscure movie about a boy who enters the worlds of the books he reads, and eventually confronts Jekyll and Hyde. Watched it bout' 93.

3. Jurassic Park: Also remember watching this in about 1993.

4. Lion King: Saw it in '94.

5. Batman and Robin: The first movie I saw at the local cinema when it opened in 1996. I thought it was cool then...now it's just crap..lol

6. Godzilla: I recall watching it about '98.

7. The Six Sense: Saw this in 1999, and didn't find it scary at all.

I saw heaps more, but I can't remember all of em...

I just now remembered that I also saw "The Sixth Sense" in Theaters around August 1999

btw, do you guys over in Austrailia get movies before Americans do?  "Batman & Robin" wasn't released over here until June 1997 and "The Pagemaster" was released around December 1994.  Just curious

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/01/06 at 7:36 am

I just now remembered that I also saw "The Sixth Sense" in Theaters around August 1999

btw, do you guys over in Austrailia get movies before Americans do?  "Batman & Robin" wasn't released over here until June 1997 and "The Pagemaster" was released around December 1994.  Just curious

Oh, no, must've remembered wrong. No, you guys always get movies first  >:(. Even some Australian movies are released there first.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 05/01/06 at 7:37 am

Texas Chainsaw Massacre III (LOL) with A Nightmare on the Elm Street 5, as a double bill at the drive-in, but didn't finish it.
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Gremlins 2
Ernest Goes to Jail
Arachnophobia (Didn't finish it though)
Problem Child
Home Alone
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II (Saw it the day it opened, right after school)
Problem Child 2 (Saw it 3 times)
My Girl
Wayne's World
3 Ninjas
Home Alone 2 (Saw it 3 times I think)
Cop and a Half
Jurassic Park
Jason Goes to Hell
Man's Best Friend
Mighty Ducks 2
In the Army Now
Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls (Drive-in)
Beavis and Butt-Head Do America
Liar Liar
Scream
Wishmaster
I Know What You Did Last Summer
Mortal Kombat 2
Scream 2 (Saw it twice)

I saw too many movies to name in '98 and '99.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/01/06 at 7:40 am

Texas Chainsaw Massacre III (LOL) with A Nightmare on the Elm Street 5, as a double bill at the drive-in, but didn't finish it.
Gremlins 2
Ernest Goes to Jail
Arachnophobia (Didn't finish it though)
Problem Child
Home Alone
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II (Saw it the day it opened, right after school)
Problem Child 2 (Saw it 3 times)
My Girl
3 Ninjas
Home Alone 2 (Saw it 3 times I think)
Jurassic Park
Jason Goes to Hell
Man's Best Friend
Mighty Ducks 2
In the Army Now
Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls (Drive-in)
Beavis and Butt-Head Do America
Liar Liar
Scream
Wishmaster
I Know What You Did Last Summer
Mortal Kombat 2
Scream 2 (Saw it twice)

I saw too many movies to name in '98 and '99.

I remember watching the Mighty Ducks and Scream. Mighty Ducks left an impression on me after I saw it when it first came out.

Written By: F.U.B.A.R. on 05/01/06 at 5:43 pm

Here are some of the movies i saw, based on what i can remember and on some of the movie tickets that i have kept for all these years ::)

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III
Mortal Kombat
Independence Day
Men in Black
Starship Troopers
The Lost World: Jurassic Park
Bean
Mortal Kombat 2
Godzilla
The X-Files
The Mummy
Dogma
Wing Commander
Analyze This
Stuart Little
The World Is Not Enough

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/01/06 at 7:28 pm

Hmmm ... I'll do 1996 up.

1996:
Mighty Ducks III (may have been 1997 when I saw it)

1997:
can't remember....hmm

1998:
Probably several. Antz is one I remember well.

1999:
Again, several.  I saw Dr. Dolittle (unfortunately).

Written By: whistledog on 05/01/06 at 7:31 pm

I can't remember all of the movies I saw, but the one that sticks in my mind is the 1993 movie "Sidekicks" starring Chuck Norris and the late Jonathan Brandis.  Originally, I wanted to go and see the Sylvester Stallone flick "Cliffhanger", but it was Rated R, and I was only 15 at the time, so just to go and see something, anything, my mom took me to see Sidekicks and I really liked it :)

Written By: jersey_bwoy2078 on 05/02/06 at 9:03 am

I LOVED Jurassic Park!  I went to see it on the opening day when I was 15.  I loved dinosaurs ever since I was a kid, so I HAD to see it.  My favorite was the velociraptor, such a smart, sophisticated, and fierce animal....and to see it in action was amazing.  Jurassic Park "The Lost World" and JP3 were really good too.  I Am still avidly into dinosaurs since that June evening in 1993.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/02/06 at 9:36 am

Dinosaurs seemed to be a collective obsession back in the 90s. My parents often like to remind me (much to my abashment) of how much I loved them. Not that there's anything wrong with liking dinosaurs, but I also liked to imitate them.  ;D

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/02/06 at 10:03 am

Yep, and "Mighty Morphin Power Rangers" cashed in quick when they debuted the show in August 1993 (During the Jurassic Park hype)

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/02/06 at 10:06 am

Yep, and "Mighty Morphin Power Rangers" cashed in quick when they debuted the show in August 1993 (During the Jurassic Park hype)

I was totally obsessed with Power Rangers...still remember getting a figurine for Christmas back in '94.

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/02/06 at 10:43 am

I was totally obsessed with Power Rangers...still remember getting a figurine for Christmas back in '94.

lol, Holy Crap, Same Here!  I still remember "FOX" running the Ads for Power Rangers before it Debuted.  I remember being at Daycare at the time and me and my friends were all just playing while watching TV at the same time and the Advertisement for it came on and we were all so damn excited for it, and of course we all picked a favorite ranger before the show even started.  I picked the Black one, just randomly

And I also got a Figurine in Christmas of 1994.  I got the Green Ranger that you could flip his head inside out (So that one side was Tommy and the other was the Green Ranger Head)

I eventually stopped watching the show in either 95 or 96.  I never watched the Spinoffs

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/02/06 at 10:46 am

lol, Holy Crap, Same Here!  I still remember "FOX" running the Ads for Power Rangers before it Debuted.  I remember being at Daycare at the time and me and my friends were all just playing while watching TV at the same time and the Advertisement for it came on and we were all so damn excited for it, and of course we all picked a favorite ranger before the show even started.  I picked the Black one, just randomly

And I also got a Figurine in Christmas of 1994.  I got the Green Ranger that you could flip his head inside out (So that one side was Tommy and the other was the Green Ranger Head)

I eventually stopped watching the show in either 95 or 96.  I never watched the Spinoffs

I got the red one...and I watched the show religiously every day, just to see what new monster would come up next! The similarities are amazing...

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/02/06 at 11:35 am

Last year I actually watched a couple of the Old episodes from the First Season.  I watched the 3 or 4 Part Episode called "Green With Evil", which was the first episode with Tommy.  So Tommy was the new guy at school and Kimberly developed a crush on him and then somewhere near the end of the episode, Rita decided to turn helpless little Tommy into the Evil Green Ranger.  And this whole Storyline/Episode went on for about 4 straight episodes and so the Power Rangers were starting to get attacked by this new Green Ranger and they had no clue who his real identity was and didn't know it was Tommy (Who they thought was still a good guy).  So then in about the 3rd episode, they finally find out that it's Tommy and then Tommy (Green Ranger) and Jason (Red Ranger) have some kind of Showdown where they are going to fight to the death

I tell you, that whole 4 part episode was a blatant Rip-Off of "Star Wars".  It was too funny for words.  But it made it even cooler at the time.  They were even saying stuff like "Tommy has turned to the Dark Side" blah blah blah, and then finally they un-brainwash Tommy and he turns into a Good Guy and joins the rest of the Power Rangers as the New Green Ranger  8)

At the time, that show was just Incredibly Cool

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/02/06 at 11:44 am

I just found the details for that 5 part episode

Season 1, Episode 17: Green with Evil: Part 1- Out of Control
5 October 1993

Tommy, a new kid in town with martial arts skills that rival even Jason's, catches Kimberly's eye. Not just her, but Rita Repulsa also sees potential in him. She has her Putties kidnap him, and bring him to the moon. There, Rita places a spell over Tommy, turning him into the evil Green Power Ranger! Using his Dragon Power Coin, Tommy infiltrates the Command Center, gives Alpha 5 a virus, and trashes most of the control consoles. Zordon attempts reasoning with him, but fails, and gets cut off from our dimension. The Green Ranger then fights the other Power Rangers in battle, and with the Evil Space Aliens' help, takes our heroes by surprise while they're in their Megazord. The Ranger take the beating, and retreat to the damaged Command Center in the RADBUG. They restore Alpha, but fail to learn anything about the mysterious Green Ranger.

Season 1, Episode 18: Green with Evil: Part 2- Jason's Battle
6 October 1993

With the Command Center still incapacitated from the Green Ranger's attack, Billy & Trini attempt to repair it and Alpha 5. Tommy returns to Earth, and acts cold & rude to Kimberly. Soon, after a successfully training run on the beach, Rita gives Tommy the Sword Of Darkness, which acts as a catalyst for keeping him under her evil spell permanently. Our heroes remain at a loss for a plan, but devote as much time into it as they can. Because of that, Jason informs Tommy at school that he'll be unable to work out with him later. Unbeknownst to Jason, the possessed Tommy then teleports him to the Dark Dimension! Trapped, with no way out, no way of morphing, and no way of contacting his teammates, Jason faces Goldar alone...

Season 1, Episode 19: Green with Evil: Part 3 - The Rescue
7 October 1993

Jason continues battling Goldar in the Dark Dimension, and eventually, the Green Ranger as well. Luckily, in the nick of time, the Rangers & Alpha are able to lock on to his Communicator and teleport him out of there. But with Zordon still lost and the Command Center still in shambles, the victory is bittersweet, at best. To make things worse, Rita summons Scorpina, a female warrior long buried in a cave, with the ability to transform into a monstrous scorpion when in giant mode.

Season 1, Episode 20: Green with Evil: Part 4 - Eclipsing Megazord
8 October 1993

Goldar grows and attacks Angel Grove, and nearly eats Bulk & Skull. Meanwhile, the search for Zordon heats up, but while the Rangers are out, Green Ranger sneaks back into the Command Center, and attempts to sabotage it again. Alpha's prepared, capturing him in a stasis shield briefly. Rita frees him, and uses her Magic Wand to make him grow! He joins Goldar & Scorpina in fighting the Megazord, as Rita casts a spell to eclipse the sun and cut off its solar power reserves. Though the Power Sword helps add a boost of energy, the Megazord falls to the trio of evil. The Zords separate and scatter into a burning hole in the ground. Our heroes retreat in defeat, but learn from Alpha's brief short re encounter, the true identity of the Green Ranger: their new mood-swinging pal, Tommy Oliver!

Season 1, Episode 21: Green with Evil: Part 5 - Breaking the Spell
9 October 1993

Kim confronts the evil Tommy in the Youth Center, but he simply informs her that she and the other Rangers will soon be destroyed. Utilizing his Dragon Dagger's flute mode, the Green Ranger summons forth the ancient Green Dragonzord from Angel Grove bay. It begins to rampage through the city, crushing & blowing up buildings. Zordon's transmission is finally reestablished with this dimension. The Megazord is recovered, and victoriously faces the Dragonzord. The Green Ranger's Sword Of Darkness is destroyed, freeing Tommy from the evil spell. He's disoriented, but regrettable recalls everything he did while evil. The Rangers offer him a place among them, and he gladly accepts. The Dragonzord forms with the Megazord, creating the Dragonzord in Battle Mode. Zordon welcomes Tommy to the team, claiming the 6th Ranger was prophesied.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/02/06 at 11:53 am

Last year I actually watched a couple of the Old episodes from the First Season.  I watched the 3 or 4 Part Episode called "Green With Evil", which was the first episode with Tommy.  So Tommy was the new guy at school and Kimberly developed a crush on him and then somewhere near the end of the episode, Rita decided to turn helpless little Tommy into the Evil Green Ranger.  And this whole Storyline/Episode went on for about 4 straight episodes and so the Power Rangers were starting to get attacked by this new Green Ranger and they had no clue who his real identity was and didn't know it was Tommy (Who they thought was still a good guy).  So then in about the 3rd episode, they finally find out that it's Tommy and then Tommy (Green Ranger) and Jason (Red Ranger) have some kind of Showdown where they are going to fight to the death

I tell you, that whole 4 part episode was a blatant Rip-Off of "Star Wars".  It was too funny for words.  But it made it even cooler at the time.  They were even saying stuff like "Tommy has turned to the Dark Side" blah blah blah, and then finally they un-brainwash Tommy and he turns into a Good Guy and joins the rest of the Power Rangers as the New Green Ranger  8)

At the time, that show was just Incredibly Cool

;D ;D ;D ;D I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case! One gets the feeling the producers were aiming for campy...kids like campy. I mean, a monster made out of a floatie (one I remember)? That's got to be pretty wacked..

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/02/06 at 12:03 pm

One thing I remember well was back when Tommy changed into the White Ranger, me and alot of the other kids at the Daycare were all discussing the upcoming episode in which he was revealed as the White Ranger, and I remember all of us thinking he would be the Gold Ranger for some reason, but instead they decided to call him the White Ranger

Gold would have been cooler

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/02/06 at 2:27 pm

Probably some of the first movies I saw in the year 1990 were "Home Alone," "Teenage Mutant Ninga Turtles" (which bored me to tears  ;D ), "Dick Tracy" (I liked that one a lot), and "Kindergarten Cop"

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/02/06 at 2:29 pm

I can name a few I definitely saw in theaters:

Lion King (1994)
Toy Story (1995)
Toy Story 2 (1999)
Titanic (1997)
Father of the Bride II (1995)
Star Wars Episode I (1999)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/02/06 at 2:29 pm

Probably some of the first movies I saw in the year 1990 were "Home Alone," "Teenage Mutant Ninga Turtles" (which bored me to tears  ;D ), "Dick Tracy" (I liked that one a lot), and "Kindergarten Cop"

How well you do remember 1990? Like yesterday?  

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/02/06 at 2:33 pm

How well you do remember 1990? Like yesterday?  

I remember 1990 to a fair degree. I don't remember it like yesterday as it was 16 years ago and I was only 7-8 years old, but I do have some decent recollections if something is mentioned from that year, it will come to me fairly well.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/02/06 at 2:34 pm

I remember 1990 to a fair degree. I don't remember it like yesterday as it was 16 years ago and I was only 7-8 years old, but I do have some decent recollections if something is mentioned from that year, it will come to me fairly well.

Does it feel like nearly 20 years ago to you?  1994, for instance, sure feels like 12 years ago to me.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/02/06 at 2:39 pm

Does it feel like nearly 20 years ago to you?   1994, for instance, sure feels like 12 years ago to me.

Well, lets say if I were your age (16) and I looked back at 12 years prior to that, which for me, that would have been 1986, I could probably look at that time as actually pretty recent. I did then. I didn't think of the 80's as "long ago." I still thought that even the 70's were "recent" at that time. It still didn't seem all that long, but now that a lot of 70's things are turning the 30 year mark, it's kinda weird to think of it being THAT long ago.

Time kinda creeps up on you. You may look at yourself 8-10 years from now and go, "Whoa" It will be a strange feeling, and I can only imagine it will feel even stranger as time marches on.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/02/06 at 2:42 pm

Well, lets say if I were your age (16) and I looked back at 12 years prior to that, which for me, that would have been 1986, I could probably look at that time as actually pretty recent. I did then. I didn't think of the 80's as "long ago." I still thought that even the 70's were "recent" at that time. It still didn't seem all that long, but now that a lot of 70's things are turning the 30 year mark, it's kinda weird to think of it being THAT long ago.

Time kinda creeps up on you. You may look at yourself 8-10 years from now and go, "Whoa" It will be a strange feeling, and I can only imagine it will feel even stranger as time marches on.

Yeah, I know.

Did you think around 1990, "Ah, I'll NEVER be nostalgic for those damn Eighties" and then find yourself several years later starting to miss them?  That happened to me with the '90s.  I NEVER thought I'd like the '90s that away, but with teenagers born in 1993 they're quite a while ago now.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/02/06 at 3:38 pm

Yeah, I know.

Did you think around 1990, "Ah, I'll NEVER be nostalgic for those damn Eighties" and then find yourself several years later starting to miss them?   That happened to me with the '90s.  I NEVER thought I'd like the '90s that away, but with teenagers born in 1993 they're quite a while ago now.

Actually, I wasn't thinking much about the past when I was 7 or 8. I was looking more towards the future because I couldn't wait to get out of elementary school, lol. I would say my I started feeling nostalgic toward the 80's probably around 1999, when I was 17.

Written By: Echo Nomad on 05/02/06 at 4:02 pm

For some reason the 90'seem to be my biggest movie decade. I don't mean to be definitive but the 90's had a better enviroment for successful blockbusters. Today a lot of big budget movies appear to fail or just fizzle. I won't take the time to list them by year but here's a list of what I can remember.

1- Jurrasic Park 1-2
2- Saving Private Ryan
3- Titanic
4- Deep Impact
5- Armageddon
6- Dante's Peak
7- Volcano
8- Independance day
9- Payback
10-The Out of Towners
11-12-13 Star Wars remakes 4,5,6,
14- Star Wars-Phantom Menace
15- Twister
16- Motal Kombat
17- Indian in the cupboard (I went to see it because it was one of my favorite stories in childhood-But I was the only one in the theater!)
18-TMNT3 (Babysitting the neighborkid)
19-Unforgiven

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/02/06 at 4:19 pm

Some movies I remember seeing at the theatre in 1991 were:

Doc Hollywood
City Slickers
What About Bob?
Father of the Bride
Hook

And for 1992:

Aladdin
The Bodyguard
A League of Their Own
Far & Away
Death Becomes Her
Forever Young
Beethoven

And for 1993:

Sleepless in Seattle (We saw this way after the hype died down, as it didn't seem to interest my mom all that much, but I enjoyed it for the most part)
Loaded Weapon
Coneheads

Some I may just not remember, but those above are definetly ones I remember seeing at the theatre.

Written By: twistedwarp on 05/02/06 at 6:01 pm

1995-twister 

1996- Independence day  watch it twice In theaters
        also that year Mortal Kombat the movie was a must see.

1997- Liar Liar, Titanic

1998- my Favorite Martian , small soldiers

1999- The Matrix,The mummy (twice)

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/02/06 at 6:11 pm

1995-twister 

1996- Independence day  watch it twice In theaters
        also that year Mortal Kombat the movie was a must see.

1997- Liar Liar, Titanic

1998- my Favorite Martian , small soldiers

1999- The Matrix,The mummy (twice)

Mortal Kombat was Released in August 1995

My Favorite Martian was Released in January 1999

Written By: Guest on 05/02/06 at 8:29 pm

1990  Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
        Home Alone

1991  City Slickers
        Terminator 2: Judgment Day
        The Addams Family
        My Girl
        Fivel Goes West
        Hook

1992  Batman Returns
        A League of Their Own
        Honeymoon In Vegas
        Captain Ron
        Aladdin
        Home Alone 2: Lost in New York

1993  The Fugitive
        Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III
        Jurassic Park
        The Sandlot
        We're Back! A Dinosaur Story
        Addams Family Values
        Mrs. Doubtfire

1994  The Flinstones
        The Lion King
        Forrest Gump
        The War
        The Little Rascals
        Dumb & Dumber

1995  Houseguest
        Bye Bye Love
        Apollo 13
        Toy Story
        Heavyweights
        The Big Green
        Indian In the Cuboard
        Bushwacked
        Batman Forever
        Mortal Kombat

1996  Sgt. Bilko

1997  The Lost World
        Men In Black
        Spawn
        Batman & Robin

1999  The Cider House Rules

Written By: jersey_bwoy2078 on 05/02/06 at 10:18 pm

1995-twister.  ??? ???

Twister - Released: May 10, 1996

I saw that movie, opening day, 0n June 2, 1996.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/03/06 at 1:04 am

Twister - Released: May 10, 1996

I saw that movie, opening day, 0n June 2, 1996.

I remember seeing Twister in July of 1996 with one of my good friends and then seeing it again with my mom in the theatre about 2 weeks later - lol  ;D

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/03/06 at 7:32 am

I saw We're Back! Dinosaur story, Little Rascals, Indian in the Cubboard, Aladdin, Toy Story, The Lost World, M.I.B. as well.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/03/06 at 12:02 pm

We never went to the theater very much so I can only recall seeing a few:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles(1990)

Batman Forever(1995)

Titanic(1997)

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/03/06 at 12:51 pm

It's odd how you call a 'cinema' a 'theatre'... :D

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/03/06 at 3:47 pm

I'm wondering ... does American sound strange to foreign ears, the way other accents sound strange to us?  Because as arrogant as it sounds, American really does seem like the plainest form of English.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/03/06 at 3:50 pm

I say cinema sometimes as well. I used to go to "General Cinemas" to see movies, they aren't around anymore though here.

Written By: twistedwarp on 05/03/06 at 3:58 pm

I got bad memory  :\'( . But I swear I remember watching mortal kombat in 96 . Dont know. memory is not my friend

Written By: Mephistopheles on 05/03/06 at 7:33 pm

TOO MANY.

All I remember was that TMNT was my first movie (My mother never took me as a baby to the movies because she was afraid that I will cry during the flick).

Written By: jersey_bwoy2078 on 05/03/06 at 9:57 pm

I remember seeing Twister in July of 1996 with one of my good friends and then seeing it again with my mom in the theatre about 2 weeks later - lol  ;D

I'm a tornado fanatic...so it was obvious I'd love the film.

Written By: Red Ant on 05/04/06 at 1:08 pm

I'm guessing people remember this as a 2000s film is why it hasn't been listed yet:

South Park: Bigger, Longer, Uncut

Was in theaters (yes, e-r-s  ;)) late October of 99. Saw it 3 times while it was still on the big screen.

I saw a lot of movies in the 90s, much more so than the past 5 years.

BTW, anyone else think "Larry: Health Inspector" sucked? I love his stand up, but the movie was a let down.

I never saw Titanic, because why the hell pay 7$ to see a movie to which you already know the ending?

Maddox had a funny take on this film a while ago.

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/04/06 at 1:11 pm

I'm guessing people remember this a a 2000s film is why it hasn't been listed yet:

Was in theaters (yes, e-r-s  ;)) late October of 99. Saw it 3 times while it was still on the big screen.

BTW, anyone else think "Larry: Health Inspector" sucked? I love his stand up, but the movie was a let down.

I never saw Titanic, because why the hell pay 7$ to see a movie to which you already know the ending?

Actually, "South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut" was released in Theaters on June 30th, 1999.  Unless it carried all the way to October

I still remember when I first started becoming a WWF Fan in the Summer of 1999 I would constantly see commercials advetising that movie

Written By: Red Ant on 05/04/06 at 1:24 pm

Actually, "South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut" was released in Theaters on June 30th, 1999.  Unless it carried all the way to October

I still remember when I first started becoming a WWF Fan in the Summer of 1999 I would constantly see commercials advetising that movie

You are correct. I believe the soundtrack was released in late October (the 28th IIRC).

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/04/06 at 1:37 pm

I'm guessing people remember this as a 2000s film is why it hasn't been listed yet:

Because it takes watching the story before the ending that's the most interesting part. There are a lot of movies that are like that. Doesn't mean they're not worth seeing at the theatres. You may miss some awesome sound effects and visuals.

One movie I could have passed on seeing in the theatre just for FX, was Star Wars: The Phantom Menace. What a BORE!

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/04/06 at 1:49 pm

Because it takes watching the story before the ending that's the most interesting part. There are a lot of movies that are like that. Doesn't mean they're not worth seeing at the theatres. You may miss some awesome sound effects and visuals.

One movie I could have passed on seeing in the theatre just for FX, was Star Wars: The Phantom Menace. What a BORE!

I agree.  I sometimes get a little irritated when people say they won't see a movie when they know the Ending.  It's a Movie, the whole point of it is to see the entire thing.  They act as if nothing interesting happens from the beginning until the end

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/04/06 at 6:43 pm

The first movie I saw in the theater was a Snow White re-release in 1992-1993 or so, which I remember pretty well. I couldn't name of all the '90s movies I've seen in the theater, it's a huge number, though I know at one point I thought the theater was the place you saw it before it came out on video, as opposed to video being the afterthought of the theatrical release. Just shows how big a role VHS played in my upbringing... ;) I remember seeing the Lion King in the theater very well.

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/04/06 at 6:46 pm

The first movie I saw in the theater was a Snow White re-release in 1992-1993 or so, which I remember pretty well. I couldn't name of all the '90s movies I've seen in the theater, it's a huge number, though I know at one point I thought the theater was the place you saw it before it came out on video, as opposed to video being the afterthought of the theatrical release. Just shows how big a role VHS played in my upbringing... ;) I remember seeing the Lion King in the theater very well.

The "Snow White" Re-Release was released on July 2nd, 1993

I just remembered another movie I saw in Theaters.  "The Substitute" in April 1996

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/04/06 at 6:49 pm

I believe Lion King in 1994 was the first movie I saw in the theater.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/04/06 at 6:59 pm

The "Snow White" Re-Release was released on July 2nd, 1993

I just remembered another movie I saw in Theaters.  "The Substitute" in April 1996

Thanks for the info  :) . I remember I tried to touch the screen. And tried to watch part of it through the screen in the projection box.

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/04/06 at 7:01 pm

Thanks for the info  :) . I remember I tried to touch the screen. And tried to watch part of it through the screen in the projection box.

Were you THAT close?

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/04/06 at 7:02 pm

Ok, lets Twist the thread around a little now.  What movies did you NOT see in Theaters, but wish that you did?

For me, I would have to go with "The Matrix", "Terminator 2: Judgment Day" and "Star Wars Episode I"

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/04/06 at 7:08 pm

Were you THAT close?

I twisted my head and strained my eyes. But I remember that I thought that it was on two screens was really cool.

Written By: jersey_bwoy2078 on 05/04/06 at 10:12 pm

Ok, lets Twist the thread around a little now.  What movies did you NOT see in Theaters, but wish that you did?

For me, I would have to go with "The Matrix", "Terminator 2: Judgment Day" and "Star Wars Episode I"

That, and how about movies that you wished you'd NEVER seen, and movies you're glad you never went to see?

Written By: Ebontyne on 05/06/06 at 7:09 pm

It's kind of difficult for me to remember whether each movie I saw was in a theatre, on a VHS rental, or just on TV... So the movies I've listed here are only those I distinctly remember sitting in the theatre to watch.

Home Alone (1990)
Gremlins 2: The New Batch (1990)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990)
Beauty and the Beast (1991)
What About Bob? (1991)
Aladdin (1992)
Sister Act (1992)
Mrs. Doubtfire (1993)
Coneheads (1993)
Grumpy Old Men (1993)
The Lion King (1994)
The Flintstones (1994)
Toy Story (1995)
Pocahontas (1995)
Casper (1995)
Jerry Maguire (1996)
101 Dalmatians (1996)
The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996)
Titanic (1997)
Armageddon (1998)
Saving Private Ryan (1998)
There's Something About Mary (1998)
Mulan (1998)
The Sixth Sense (1999)

The movies I watched in the theatres were usually with family or friends, but I got to watch all the non-juvenile fare through rentals or else on TV.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/08/06 at 3:21 pm

Here are some of them...

Jurassic Park
Lethal Weapon 3
Batman Returns
The Lion King
Mortal Kombat
Toy Story
Toy Story 2
Philadelphia
The Cable Guy
Independence Day
Seven
Godzilla
The Sixth Sense
The Haunting
The House on Haunted Hill
Street Fighter
The Island of Dr. Moreau
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II

Written By: HunkyDory on 05/08/06 at 11:32 pm

Lion King (I was only a wee lad of 3)
Batman Returns, fo sho
Star Wars Episode 1 on IMAX
thats all i remember, I probably saw a lot more, but I forget these things

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/08/06 at 11:56 pm

Lion King (I was only a wee lad of 3)
Batman Returns, fo sho
Star Wars Episode 1 on IMAX
thats all i remember, I probably saw a lot more, but I forget these things

Wow, so you remember seeing "Batman Returns" when you were 1 Year Old?  :o

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/08/06 at 11:57 pm

Wow, so you remember seeing "Batman Returns" when you were 1 Year Old?  :o

He probably means Batman Forever from 1995.

Written By: HunkyDory on 05/09/06 at 12:03 am

probably

Check for new replies or respond here...