inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Hanna Barbara/Cartoon Network or Nickelodeon, which stole more of your time?

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/01/06 at 7:43 am

As a youngster, I loved both, so I can't really decide. Cartook Network's cartoons were sharper, cruder, more angular, but really wacky and funny. I fondly remember 'Cow and Chicken,' 'Johnny Bravo,' 'I R Baboon, 'Dexter's Lab,' Powerpuff Girls,' 'Scooby Doo', 'Speed Racer.'etc. Nick cartoons were usually full-length (22mins), had more of a story and moral. Which did you prefer?

Subject: Re: Hanna Barbara/Cartoon Network or Nickelodeon, which stole more of your time?

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/01/06 at 1:52 pm

I'd say Nickelodeon, but I guess because I wasn't really a "kid" for the latter part of the 90's, the cartoon network wasn't as popular (or maybe didn't even exist until later on) for me as Nick. Plus, when the Disney Channel still had a glimmer of goodness in the 90's, I was an avid watcher of that channel more than Nick and The Cartoon Network.

Subject: Re: Hanna Barbara/Cartoon Network or Nickelodeon, which stole more of your time?

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/01/06 at 1:53 pm

Nick, I never watched Cartoon Network that much.

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/01/06 at 3:34 pm

I never even had Cartoon Network until the Late 90's, I believe

I watched Nickelodeon religiously in the Early and Mid 90's

For me, these are all the shows I was hooked on as a child

The Muppet Babies
Rugrats
Doug
Rocko's Modern Life
Are You Afraid of the Dark?
Legends of the Hidden Temple
What Would You Do?

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/01/06 at 4:24 pm

^Same here. I watched Nick in the early and mid 90's everyday(watched it for the first time sometime in late 1990) and I watched Cartoon Network throughout the late 90's.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/01/06 at 8:11 pm

I never even had Cartoon Network until the Late 90's, I believe

I watched Nickelodeon religiously in the Early and Mid 90's

For me, these are all the shows I was hooked on as a child

The Muppet Babies
Rugrats
Doug
Rocko's Modern Life
Are You Afraid of the Dark?
Legends of the Hidden Temple
What Would You Do?

Ah yes, I remember that show 'Legends of the Hidden Temple', the one with the giant Olmec statue head which would challenge the contestants  :D and say things like, 'pass at your own peril.' I remember watching all those shows except the Muppets one, I also remember the non-cartoons like Are you afraid of the dark, Clarissa Explains it All.etc. I never realised most of the episodes of Clarissa were filmed in the early early 90s until later on! That's why Clarissa's favourite band was Pearl Jam...

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/01/06 at 8:14 pm

When I was little, I had a babysitter who LOVED Pearl Jam. I used to adore Clarissa Explains It All and I had a crush on Sam, the guy who came in the window, when I was like four and oh-so-obsessed with the show. And I loved Legends of the Hidden Temple. We didn't have Cartoon Network until 1998 or so, so I never "grew up with it." However, TNT or TBS or one of those stations had Scooby Doo and other Hanna-Barbera reruns that I loved...I would say though, Nickelodeon overall dominated my childhood.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/01/06 at 8:17 pm

When I was little, I had a babysitter who LOVED Pearl Jam. I used to adore Clarissa Explains It All and I had a crush on Sam, the guy who came in the window, when I was like four and oh-so-obsessed with the show. And I loved Legends of the Hidden Temple. We didn't have Cartoon Network until 1998 or so, so I never "grew up with it." However, TNT or TBS or one of those stations had Scooby Doo and other Hanna-Barbera reruns that I loved...I would say though, Nickelodeon overall dominated my childhood.

I was a Nick kid...They used to make you feel at home, with competitions, 'nick at your school' and all that stuff...to really make you feel party of the whole 'Nick' thing. Clarissa was a real early 90s like Full House. I distinctly remember the whole 'look' of the show, and the memorable characters, like Clarissa's red-haired brother Fergus, her hippie dad and nuerotic-mum, and her friend Sam who would always climb through the window (that's something you don't see these days, very early 90s). And those 'computer games' lol.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/01/06 at 8:20 pm

I was a Nick kid...They used to make you feel at home, with competitions, 'nick at your school' and all that stuff...to really make you feel party of the whole 'Nick' thing. Clarissa was a real early 90s like Full House. I distinctly remember the whole 'look' of the show, and the memorable characters, like Clarissa's red-haired brother Fergus, her hippie dad and nuerotic-mum, and her friend Sam who would always climb through the window (that's something you don't see these days, very early 90s). And those 'computer games' lol.

Damn, I miss that show...I wanted to be a cool '90s teenager like them  8) .

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/01/06 at 8:39 pm

You remember having a crush when you were 4?

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/01/06 at 8:41 pm

You remember having a crush when you were 4?

Yeah, sort of...it was sort of a crush/I wanted to be him/around him.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/01/06 at 8:51 pm

Yeah, sort of...it was sort of a crush/I wanted to be him/around him.

I thought he was cute too!! ;)

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/01/06 at 8:58 pm

I thought he was cute too!! ;)

Defined a generation... ;)

http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Contrib/Entertainment/Clarissa/sam.gif

I'm surprised at how early '90s that show looks now when I look at stills...WHEN IS IT BEING RELEASED ON DVD!? My friend Jane and I were talking about how we're coming in every day this week dressed in flannel to emulate our childhood.

http://www.crazyabouttv.com/Images/clarissa.jpg

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/01/06 at 10:21 pm

Yea I used to love Clarissa Explains it All as well.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/01/06 at 10:22 pm

Defined a generation... ;)

http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Contrib/Entertainment/Clarissa/sam.gif

I'm surprised at how early '90s that show looks now when I look at stills...WHEN IS IT BEING RELEASED ON DVD!? My friend Jane and I were talking about how we're coming in every day this week dressed in flannel to emulate our childhood.

http://www.crazyabouttv.com/Images/clarissa.jpg

I wonder what ever happened to the kid that played Sam? ???

Written By: whistledog on 05/01/06 at 10:26 pm

I don't even remember Clarissa Explains It All  :-[

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/02/06 at 1:50 am

I thought Sam was cute, too. (from "Clarissa Explains It All") Her brother Fergus was like the anti-Sam.  ;D

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/02/06 at 7:10 am

I thought Sam was cute, too. (from "Clarissa Explains It All") Her brother Fergus was like the anti-Sam.  ;D

Fergus was 'dorky' (in the terminology of the day), in a slightly lovable way.

Written By: woops on 10/24/09 at 11:50 am

Nickelodeon: mainly "Ren & Stimpy", "Rocko's Modern Life", and Looney Tunes

Though also watched some of the other Nicktoons and even some of the tween sitcoms (watched for the sake of watching, though doesn't hold up..)

Cartoon Nework: pretty much some of the early Hanna Barbera and pre-1948 Looney Tunes/MGM. Also remember "World Premiere Cartoons", though was becoming a teenager and watching more MTV/VH1 when "Dexter's Lab" & "Powerpuff Girls" became full shows. 

Written By: MrCleveland on 10/25/09 at 2:20 pm

In the Mid-90's...Nickelodeon
In the Mid-00's...Cartoon Network/Boomerang

Check for new replies or respond here...