inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Star Wars (and to a lesser extent LOTR)

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/02/06 at 8:13 am

Once Fox's (and George Lucases) cash-cow along with the yellow, bug-eyed family from Springfield, it seems to me Star Wars hysteria has kind of died down - not died - but went away quietly away after the 'second' Triology. Episode III was kind of a love or hate affair; I quite liked it (I have it on DVD) - no I was near blown away when I saw it back in '04 (was it that long ago?). For those who know the younger kids (Face it, the core fanbase is still the under-12s), do you know if kids are still as into Star Wars as before? I know there are quite a few toys, but it certainly doesn't seem to possess the same all encompassing censure it did in the latter 90s when I was briefly a Star Wars nut. What about the die-hard Star Wars geeks? I guess they'll be as strong as ever...And on the subject, the LOTR triology really saw a revival in interest in the LOTR of the Rings Universe. Do you think that whole thing has strengthened or waned since the last of the three movies aired? What about your own experiences with Star Wars/LOTR? lol

The Force be with you...

Subject: Re: Star Wars (and to a lesser extent LOTR)

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/02/06 at 8:33 am

I thought "Revenge of the Sith" was Great.  And I get quite defensive when someone says otherwise

I could care less about "LOTR", those movies are just Boring to me

Written By: jersey_bwoy2078 on 05/02/06 at 8:37 am

....I could care less about "LOTR", those movies are just Boring to me

I still never seen any of the "LOTR".....I don't really care to watch them at all.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/02/06 at 9:34 am

I still never seen any of the "LOTR".....I don't really care to watch them at all.

I've been been a big LOTR afficianado either...I knew nothing about them until I saw the movies, and they bored me almost as much as the books! My sister went through a whole LOTR phase, when she watched the movies most every day. I think the whole LOTR thing is a bit overrated.

Written By: karen on 05/02/06 at 10:01 am

My son has just go 'into' Stars Wars.  Every stick he picks up is a light sabre and he can't decide if he wants to be Luke Skywalker or Yoda when he grows up!

We have episodes 4 to 6 on DVD and he has played a computer game based on Episode 1. Most of his friends are into Stars Wars but I suspect this is driven by the parents given their age (4)

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/02/06 at 10:04 am

My son has just go 'into' Stars Wars.  Every stick he picks up is a light sabre and he can't decide if he wants to be Luke Skywalker or Yoda when he grows up!

We have episodes 4 to 6 on DVD and he has played a computer game based on Episode 1. Most of his friends are into Stars Wars but I suspect this is driven by the parents given their age (4)

No, I don't think it's driven by parents at all. The movies have revived interest in Star Wars among the kiddies. In a way, it's a unifying thread between Gen X, Gen Y and Gen Z kids, just like the Simpsons ;-). I'm also gladdened to see many 'classic' toys on the shelves of Toys'r'us (where I used to work), such as 'Strawberry Shortcakes', 'G.I. Joe,' 'Care Bear.' What do we really need in this dark age of terrorism? The Care Bears!  :) :) :)

Written By: karen on 05/02/06 at 10:36 am

No, I don't think it's driven by parents at all.

I was meaning in this particular instance (i.e. my son and his friends)  A bunch of 4 year olds are only going to hear about or see a DVD because their parents have chosen to let them.

Written By: Allie Fox on 05/03/06 at 2:03 pm

As the founder of a Star Wars Fan Club, I can certainly tell you that interest in the franchise has waned in the days after the release of Revenge of the Sith (One year ago this May 19th).
The active membership roll in the fan club on the night of the release was pushing thirty members.  At the meeting immediately following the premiere, there were only five members present.  :-\\

Since that time our membership has been pared back to about fifteen people with about seven regulars.  With little or no new Star Wars news coming down the pipe it's hard to keep interest.  There is talk of a television series in the works but that is a few years down the road and leaves little to speculate about.

In general I've seen the Star Wars fan base as being mostly males between the ages of 20 - 35.  I have a 14 year old child who informs me that there are few kids at school that have any interest in Star Wars if any at all.  The figures and other toys don't "fly" off the shelves like those of other franchises (including Batman, LOTR, MMPR, TMNT, etc) and you just don't see the kids walking around with Yoda and Darth Vader t-shirts, the way you did in the early 80s.  My point is that the second part of the saga did not capture the imagination of kids the way the first part did (or vice-cersa depending on how you look at it).  Kids that are fans today tend to enjoy the originals more and older folks, like myself are more attached to the saga for the nostalgia.

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/03/06 at 2:44 pm

My point is that the second part of the saga did not capture the imagination of kids the way the first part did

That's because the 1st part of the saga was more "Fantasy/Adventure" while the 2nd part was more "Drama"

Plus, when "Star Wars" first came out in 1977, it was something new and unique.  There had been plenty of immitators and new technology between the time of 1983 and 1999.  Plus, the kids who enjoyed the original "Star Wars" films in the 70's and 80's were probably in their 30's by the time the 2nd part of the saga was released

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/03/06 at 7:32 pm

Aside from the first - the Phantom Menace - I think George Lucas and Co did an admirable job on the production, storyline.etc (if not always acting/believability), and the expectations they were up against were simply too great to be fulfilled. Something as huge as Star Wars would be near impossible to top, and glitzry production values don't equal cultural landmark. LOTR seems to have been a much more successful venture both at the box office and in terms of how it was received.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/04/06 at 9:11 am

I like both.

As for Star Wars (the original), some really good news came out, recently.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2006-05-03-star-wars_x.htm

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/04/06 at 9:17 am

I like both.

As for Star Wars (the original), some really good news came out, recently.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2006-05-03-star-wars_x.htm

It's not really a big deal to me. I mean, having the original versions. I think the digital version is much superior, as it adds to the believabilty of the universe.

Check for new replies or respond here...