inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Stephen King's "IT" (Anyone Else Terrified?)

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/02/06 at 3:27 pm

This movie came out as a 2 Part Mini-Series Movie on ABC on November 18th, 1990.  I still remember seeing the Promo's for it and being absolutely terrified to death after seeing Pennywise The Clown.  The funny thing is, Pennywise The Clown seems to be the most terrifying movie monster to most people (If you ask them), even more than someone like Freddy Krueger

The movie was about 7 friends who all saw Pennywise The Clown, but no Adults could ever see him.  Only children could see him, and basically all he did was scare the living daylights out of children and eat them alive

So the movie moved kind of slow, but whenever Pennywise The Clown showed up on Screen, I would wet my pants (Even when I was 16!)  Maybe it's because he was the first scary thing I had ever seen in my life when I was only 4 and the image of him stuck in my mind for years.  I was scarred for life after seeing his creepy clown face

Just look at him and try and tell me it doesen't stir up an uneasy feeling in you

http://www.cis.unisa.edu.au/~cissgi/pennywise.jpg

http://horrortalk.com/reviews/IT/pissedouch.jpg

http://horrortalk.com/reviews/IT/creepfest5.jpg

http://horrortalk.com/reviews/IT/pennywisesheet3.jpg

http://horrortalk.com/reviews/IT/pennybigcheese.jpg

Maybe it's just that Clowns in general are creepy, but I realized that it's all Tim Curry, who played Pennywise.  He was awesome in this movie and with that Clown makeup, he looked terrifying, especially when he spoke with that Deep Raspy Brooklyn Accent

Here is an excerpt from some person's blog I found on the internet talking about the movie, he pretty much shares the same exact feelings I do
Yeah folks. That is Pennywise the clown from Stephen King's "IT". He is possibly the scariest creature ever to be created in the mind of man. Did Mr. King not realize that the majority of the population already hated clowns? I used to weep my eyes out whenever I came within 10 feet of one of those f*ckers at the Breckinridge County Fair. Eventually I grew out of that fear and by age 14 I was able to go to the local fair without crying. But my clown fears would soon be reborn...

In the early 1990's, ABC ran Stephen King's "IT" as a TV mini-series. Needless to say, I thought I would be cool and watch the show when it came on (well...ABC was the only channel we got in my family's pre-satellite days). What a dumb mistake that was. Forever etched in my mind is the memory of that little boys boat floating down the street and into the sewer. Pennywise was waiting and snatched the little fella away. Tragic and down right creeptastic.

But perhaps the most vivid memory was the scene where Pennywise is standing in a grave and is stuttering "Ba ba ba ba Billy Boy!". Jesus! That still makes me wet my pants!

So what made me post about Pennywise you may ask? Well yesterday I decided to do an experiment. Having the scientific hypothesis that most people would be creeped out by this lovely, child munching clown, I decided to create a buddy icon featuring his likeness. Within an 18 hour span I had no less that 20 IM's telling me to please change my buddy icon or be blocked! Needless to say, Pennywise creates a strong emotional response in people. Very interesting findings indeed...

I say that we all start using Pennywise buddy icons. If not, how will we ever get over our fear of this dastardly individual. Sure he may haunt our dreams and eat our kids on occasion, but deep down I'm sure he is just misunderstood in a Pink sorta way. Give the goofy guy a chance.

As of today, I've been cured of my fear for this clown, but I still feel uneasy when looking at him.  Anyone else have similar experience?

Subject: Re: Stephen King's "IT" (Anyone Else Terrified?)

Written By: Echo Nomad on 05/02/06 at 3:51 pm

I knew that IT really wasn't a clown but was a little disappointed when IT was revealed as a big spider. I figure it was the ghost of a an argry clown or some ancient demon.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/02/06 at 9:13 pm

The most creepiest clown of all time, next to the clown doll from Poltergeist!

http://www.retrocrush.com/scary/poltclown.jpg

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/02/06 at 9:21 pm

I remember that TV-movie well, and I too had a kind of phobia of clowns when I was young (still sorta do, lol). He was so scary because he not only looked scary, he was downright evil and he actually ate little kids. I was kind of disappointed in the end when he turned out not to be what he seemed, thereby explaining his scariness away. Almost as scary as his high, shrill voice. He was still one of the scarier villains from the mind of Stephen King, and he's got some stiff competition.

Written By: Watcher29 on 05/03/06 at 7:45 am

The thing that made Pennywise disturbing was the fact that he was a deadly creature that eats kids, disguised in the form of something that is supposed to bring delight to children. He was based a little off of John Wayne Gacy, I think. And yes, Stephen King knew very well how disturbing people find clowns to be - that's why he made his monster into a clown.

When I was a little kid, I was *terrified* of Santa Claus - this was way before Pennywise. I don't know, looking back on it, what made him such a terrifying figure to me. Maybe it was because the first time I saw someone dressed as Santa Claus, he came in on a firetruck. As a kid, I was very sensitive to loud noises. Maybe it was the fake beard or the funny clothes - knowing this was not the person it appeared to be, even as a small child. Perhaps these things are also what bother people about clowns.

Now all this is very funny, because as an adult I have known several people who are very into clowning. They are among the most amazingly loving and gentle people that I know. I have never met anyone who loved clowning who was even grumpy, let alone unpleasant. They really do enjoy bringing delight to people, and they have great fun doing the tricks. There is nothing inherently evil or disturbing about the occupation. I don't know why people find it so disturbing.

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/03/06 at 8:27 am

The funniest part about Pennywise The Clown is simply knowing that he was played by the awesome Tim Curry (Who also played some other terrifying creatures in movies)

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Cinema/2636/pic-coll1/ledgd1.jpg

http://folkfurieuse.free.fr/images/curry.jpg

http://www.pictub.com/users/2005/09/23/Arcanebliss/albums/other_sites/photos/tim_curry.jpg

I've always thought he was creepy looking, even without makeup

Here's something funny I read.  Tim Curry was actually the 2nd pick after Jack Nicholson to play the "Joker" in "Batman" (1989).  Could you imagine him playing another psychotic clown in a film that alot more kids would see?  Alot of kids would be wetting their pants and having nightmares for years  ;D

Written By: Tanya1976 on 05/03/06 at 9:06 am

Yes, "It" was definitely creepy. Why you were allowed to watch it at 4 is beyond me!

Anyway, I get a kick out of the fear people have of clowns. I mean, c'mon, it's people in makeup.  ;D

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/03/06 at 10:41 am

Yes, "It" was definitely creepy. Why you were allowed to watch it at 4 is beyond me!

Anyway, I get a kick out of the fear people have of clowns. I mean, c'mon, it's people in makeup.  ;D

I think it's because they look so garish, a clown is like a living psychadelic painting. I'm surprised those trippy hippies didn't use Clowns as one of their motiffs back in the Age of Aquarius.

Written By: star500 on 05/03/06 at 11:18 am

Oh my god....i found that movie incredibly disturbing and terrifying. I saw it when I was 5 years old and since then I have had a slight irrational fear of clowns. Not a major fear, maybe because I can hardly remember the movie now. My mom just recently bought it on DVD and I sort of want to watch it but sort of don't want to at the same time, LOL. ??? Pennywise was one freaky clown, I'll admit that.

The kids in the movie were good too, good actors...especially Jonathan Brandis. It's a shame what happened to him,  that he commited suicide three years ago.

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/03/06 at 12:41 pm

Wow, on YouTube, I just found a Video Clip, which is 7 Minutes Long and has alot of scenes from the Movie "IT", and they are all scenes with Pennywise in them.  Man it gives me the creeps

Check out this video to see him in action  ;) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7Oe62FKlac

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 05/03/06 at 4:08 pm

Oh, I definitely remember watching IT as a kid... scared the living daylights out of me...  :o :o :o

Written By: shadowy_starr on 05/03/06 at 7:28 pm

I remember seeing it when I was little and being REALLY scared but then I saw it again when I was older and found out how the actor was, I wasn't scared anymore

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/03/06 at 7:34 pm

I remember seeing it when I was little and being REALLY scared but then I saw it again when I was older and found out how the actor was, I wasn't scared anymore

Yeah, I was about the say the exact same thing.

Tim Curry doesn't exactly inspire the fear of God in you...

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/03/06 at 8:04 pm

Yeah, I was about the say the exact same thing.

Tim Curry doesn't exactly inspire the fear of God in you...

lol, you Kidding me?  Tim Curry happens to be one of our finer Cult stars, who has played many fearful characters  ;D

Plus, he's just a Creepy guy all together

Written By: Echo Nomad on 05/03/06 at 8:32 pm

Fo rme the scarist part would be when the old time photo starts moving with him in the background.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/05/06 at 9:00 am

lol, you Kidding me?  Tim Curry happens to be one of our finer Cult stars, who has played many fearful characters  ;D

Plus, he's just a Creepy guy all together

I guess I just associate him with the bumbling, incompetent, deliciously selfish, but ultimate comedic sort of villain...lol. Just wish I could remember some movies he starred in, I'm seeing his face in my mind but I can't think of the movie.

Written By: Watcher29 on 05/05/06 at 9:24 am

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000347/

He's been in over 170 different productions! He does a lot of voice-over work on cartoons these days. Pretty prolific artist, actually.

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/05/06 at 9:36 am

I guess I just associate him with the bumbling, incompetent, deliciously selfish, but ultimate comedic sort of villain...lol. Just wish I could remember some movies he starred in, I'm seeing his face in my mind but I can't think of the movie.

"Rocky Horror Picture Show"
"Clue"
"Congo"
"Home Alone 2"
"Scary Movie 2"

And he's done alot of voices for charcters on Nickelodeon Shows such as...

"Aaah! Real Monsters" (Voice of "Zimbo")
The Wild Thornberrys" (Voice of the Father "Nigel")

...... ;D Such a Great Filmography

Written By: KKay on 05/05/06 at 10:02 am

I thought the character was scary and Tim was great.
But the movie all around was pretty badly acted.

BTW, Mr. Curry was also recently starring on B'way in the Monty Python musical Spamalot and was in the B'way production of Annie (an inthe movie)

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/05/06 at 11:15 am

Ah yes, I recall him in Home Alone and Congo. Never watched the RHPS, incredibly...

Check for new replies or respond here...