inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Angry '90s vs. the Whiny '00s

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/06/06 at 5:23 pm

I think alot of the popular "depressing" '90s musical artists had alot more to complain about (leading to their sadness/anger) than their '00s counterparts. Like, if Conor Oberst cites his childhood troubles, it ends up being how he was "picked on for being artistic." Meanwhile, alot of the angry/depressing '90s musical artists actually were homeless, had difficult childhoods, were raped (Tori Amos), and had more to complain about. It strikes me that the source of the depressing music of the '90s was true anger and disenfranchisement, while the popularity of the depressing ("whiny") music of the '00s comes from middle-class malaise and emptiness, and lack of true self.

The '90s were very angry and hormonal, while the '00s are rather whiny and melancholic in their angst.

Subject: Re: Angry '90s vs. the Whiny '00s

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/06/06 at 5:26 pm

The '00s are Posers

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/06/06 at 5:29 pm

The '00s are Posers

Exactly! Like Conor Oberst, as I said. He was "artistic" at an all-boys high school. What does he have to complain about that several million people get over regularly?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/06/06 at 7:46 pm

I agree.... the 00's are whiny.  ::)

Written By: jersey_bwoy2078 on 05/06/06 at 8:36 pm

The '00s are Posers

Agreed ;)

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/06/06 at 8:38 pm

I agree.... the 00's are whiny.  ::)

The thing is, at least most of the angry/depressing music of the '90s started out for a reason (the musicians didn't want to be angry and depressed), even if it spread to posers. The musicians of the '00s started out bored, whiny, and wanting to be "depressed", so they made music for other people like them, aimless and not appreciative of how good they have it. It started out whiny and poser-ish and will end that way.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/07/06 at 1:16 am

I think alot of the popular "depressing" '90s musical artists had alot more to complain about (leading to their sadness/anger) than their '00s counterparts. Like, if Conor Oberst cites his childhood troubles, it ends up being how he was "picked on for being artistic." Meanwhile, alot of the angry/depressing '90s musical artists actually were homeless, had difficult childhoods, were raped (Tori Amos), and had more to complain about. It strikes me that the source of the depressing music of the '90s was true anger and disenfranchisement, while the popularity of the depressing ("whiny") music of the '00s comes from middle-class malaise and emptiness, and lack of true self.

The '90s were very angry and hormonal, while the '00s are rather whiny and melancholic in their angst.

I think that's a bit of a generalisation and not strictly the case. Not being in the 'circle' of the music industry, we can only make judgements from an 'outsiders' point of view. Many 00s did grow up in the 90s, so they are just relating those experiences.

Talking about true 'angst', listen to Elliott Smith. Sure, he didn't have a textbook rough lifestyle - abused by parents.etc, but he struggled with severe depression, drugs and other personal demons, and he is one artist who wrote geniunely angst-ridden music, although there was always a positivity about his lyrics/songs.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/07/06 at 1:18 am

I think that's a bit of a generalisation and not strictly the case. Not being in the 'circle' of the music industry, we can only make judgements from an 'outsiders' point of view. Many 00s did grow up in the 90s, so they are just relating those experiences.

Talking about true 'angst', listen to Elliott Smith. Sure, he have a textbook rough lifestyle - abused by parents.etc, but he struggled with severe depression, drugs and other personal demons, and he is one artist who wrote geniunely angst-ridden music, although there was always a positivity about his lyrics/songs.

It's a bit of a generalization. But that's our business here  ;D . And it is true the '90s were far angrier as opposed to the melancholic and bored '00s.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/07/06 at 1:29 am

It's a bit of a generalization. But that's our business here  ;D . And it is true the '90s were far angrier as opposed to the melancholic and bored '00s.

There was also the 'Angry girl' groups/artist headed by Ani Difranco, Chicks on Speed, L7, the Tea Party.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/07/06 at 2:52 am

I agree. The '80s were the carefree decade.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/07/06 at 3:29 am

There was also the 'Angry girl' groups/artist headed by Ani Difranco, Chicks on Speed, L7, the Tea Party.

It think the term was 'Riot Grrrlll' girls back then actually had some attitude...

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/07/06 at 1:25 pm

Liz Phair defines angry girl.

Written By: chaka on 05/07/06 at 1:49 pm

Liz Phair defines angry girl.

Kat Bjelland from Babes In Toyland..that girl could scream  :o

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/07/06 at 8:58 pm

Alanis Morisette was supposed to be the symbol of the 'Angry Girl' movement, but she kind of succumbed to her popularity. Never that much cared for Alanis, mainly associating her with mainly 90s pop singes like Shania Twain and Natalia Imbruglia.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/07/06 at 10:27 pm

Alanis Morisette was supposed to be the symbol of the 'Angry Girl' movement, but she kind of succumbed to her popularity. Never that much cared for Alanis, mainly associating her with mainly 90s pop singes like Shania Twain and Natalia Imbruglia.

The real "angry girl" singers were Liz Phair and Courtney Love, not Alanis, who commercialized the whole movement. Aimee Mann isn't quite as angry, more bitter, and Tori was a "grrl", but she rarely was all THAT angry. I mean, she had her moments (listen to "Precious Things" or parts of "Pretty Good Year" and "Professional Widow"), but she wasn't as purely bitter as the other ones I mentioned.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/07/06 at 10:39 pm

The real "angry girl" singers were Liz Phair and Courtney Love, not Alanis, who commercialized the whole movement. Aimee Mann isn't quite as angry, more bitter, and Tori was a "grrl", but she rarely was all THAT angry. I mean, she had her moments (listen to "Precious Things" or parts of "Pretty Good Year" and "Professional Widow"), but she wasn't as purely bitter as the other ones I mentioned.

Yeah Courtney Love with Hole, though I just think of her as a female Kurt Cobain, and her music as very similar to Nirvana's.

Written By: chaka on 05/08/06 at 8:04 am

Yeah Courtney Love with Hole, though I just think of her as a female Kurt Cobain, and her music as very similar to Nirvana's.

yeah I guess you could say that even though I think Hole appeals more to the girls than guys

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/08/06 at 8:10 am

yeah I guess you could say that even though I think Hole appeals more to the girls than guys

Both appeal pretty equally to members of both genders, actually.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/08/06 at 12:41 pm

It isn't as good, certainly, but it's the "female Nirvana" to a T. Even if her main appeal was as the "female Kurt" gimmick, and she's still milking that.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/08/06 at 10:22 pm

It isn't as good, certainly, but it's the "female Nirvana" to a T. Even if her main appeal was as the "female Kurt" gimmick, and she's still milking that.

In many ways she's acting like a female 'Jim Morrison.' But she forgot one thing: you're supposed to die at 27!  :D That sort of behaviour doesn't cut it when you're 40+ and your boobs are sagging.  ;D

Written By: David on 12/31/11 at 8:07 am

I actually think 90s music was fake. It's just people liked it because it was overly dark cliche' sounding music that gave the illusion of depth were there was any. Also if anything music in the 1990s were far more WHINY than after 2000. Sure music after 2000 became all light hearted and stuff but that is hardly whine music. In the 90s you had overly cliche' fake phoney rock bands like Nirvana and Eminem that cranked out crying, bitching, moaning, whiny music that people at up with a spoon because it met peoples brainwashed notions of what deep is. If you like 1990s grunge rock music you are STUPID & UNEDUCATED! 8-P

Written By: David on 12/31/11 at 8:08 am

1990s music was more whiny, bitchy, crying, and moaning that anything after 2000. It was overly cliche' puke music that stupid uneducated people ate up with a spoon. 8-P

Written By: whistledog on 12/31/11 at 3:34 pm

If you like 1990s grunge rock music you are STUPID & UNEDUCATED! 8-P

Welcome to the forums ::)

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 01/02/12 at 3:44 am

the 1990s music usually speaks about more truths than the 00s... not necessarily angry/whiny... plus most 90s music are quite deep... with the exception of the old school techno and rave :p (they're still awesome btw)

the 2000s music tend to be generally speaking about ideals and wishes, somewhat a reflection of the truth in the 90s but more superficial..

the 1980s were the carefree and the spark of creativity explosion... they have good balance of reality and imagination

Written By: yelimsexa on 01/02/12 at 4:42 pm

The '90s also had some more family-friendly ballads/soft songs/country crossovers that sadly people aren't giving much of a second chance, even though Adele sort of brings that style back here in the '10s. It wasn't all dark like most people made it out to be. When classic hits radio starts adding '90s songs later this decade, I wouldn't mind Pearl Jam followed by Mariah Carey followed by the Spice Girls followed by Notorious B.I.G. It's now becoming classic and the '90s keep getting increasingly nostalgic as times continue to change. There were angry musical styles in the '80s as well (Post-punk, death metal, some of the old rap even).

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 01/03/12 at 6:21 am

The '90s also had some more family-friendly ballads/soft songs/country crossovers that sadly people aren't giving much of a second chance, even though Adele sort of brings that style back here in the '10s. It wasn't all dark like most people made it out to be. When classic hits radio starts adding '90s songs later this decade, I wouldn't mind Pearl Jam followed by Mariah Carey followed by the Spice Girls followed by Notorious B.I.G. It's now becoming classic and the '90s keep getting increasingly nostalgic as times continue to change. There were angry musical styles in the '80s as well (Post-punk, death metal, some of the old rap even).

i like mariah carey but not so much with spice girls :p

otherwise ballads songs were also big in the 1990s especially with Celine Dion, Toni Braxton too....

Written By: Ashes Of The Wake on 01/06/12 at 3:17 pm

People in the 1990s had a better taste in music compared to the ones in 2012

Written By: 80sfan on 01/06/12 at 8:04 pm

Music from 1990 to 1998 was awesome.

1999? That's when I started hearing too much superficial stuff on the radio!

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 01/07/12 at 4:39 am

Music from 1990 to 1998 was awesome.

1999? That's when I started hearing too much superficial stuff on the radio!

i agree with what you say

BUT 1999 - 2001/early 2002 DESPITE the superficial and cheesy stuff!!! I still prefer those music than Today's music in general!!!!

Written By: 80sfan on 01/07/12 at 2:20 pm

i agree with what you say

BUT 1999 - 2001/early 2002 DESPITE the superficial and cheesy stuff!!! I still prefer those music than Today's music in general!!!!

Yeah, I prefer 1999 and 2000 music over music from 2011/2012!

2012 music is better than 2006 music, but it doesn't compare to the 90s!

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 01/08/12 at 9:01 am

Yeah, I prefer 1999 and 2000 music over music from 2011/2012!

2012 music is better than 2006 music, but it doesn't compare to the 90s!

lol 2012 just started :p i can't comment on it yet

Written By: Brian06 on 01/08/12 at 9:00 pm

'99 was pretty good, some of the stuff then was crappy then again so was a lot of late '80s-early '90s stuff IMO. I generally prefer 1999 over 1989-1991. Though I think the '90s was at it's best around 1993-1997. I really like late '90s-early '00s R&B and pop rock. A lot of pop from that era was really good, I always bring up "Genie In A Bottle" which was a great song. Stuff like "Kiss Me", Sugar Ray, Destiny's Child, J. Lo (If You Had My Love), TLC (No Scrubs), 702 (Where My Girls At) all good stuff.

Written By: tnf on 01/17/12 at 7:09 am

I read that often, people not liking the 1988-1991 era, for some reason. Or that, when people are making an all time favorites list, they are mentioning almost no music from that era.

Like there was only Stock, Aitken & Waterman music, and even that team released some decent songs (although it was 100% prefab).  ::)

*plays véry frequently music from that era at one of my streams*

Written By: wagonman76 on 01/23/12 at 7:43 pm

I really liked the music from the 1988 to 1991 era.  It was after a lot of the super heavy synth and glitz from the core of the 80s, but it was before grunge stepped in, and the rap was easygoing, before a lot of the hardcore stuff.  A nice light and comfortable era.

Written By: Fairee07 on 01/27/12 at 12:17 am

'99 was pretty good, some of the stuff then was crappy then again so was a lot of late '80s-early '90s stuff IMO. I generally prefer 1999 over 1989-1991. Though I think the '90s was at it's best around 1993-1997. I really like late '90s-early '00s R&B and pop rock. A lot of pop from that era was really good, I always bring up "Genie In A Bottle" which was a great song. Stuff like "Kiss Me", Sugar Ray, Destiny's Child, J. Lo (If You Had My Love), TLC (No Scrubs), 702 (Where My Girls At) all good stuff.

I agree with you about music from '89-'91. Most of it was wimpy music in my opinion.

Anyway, I definitely prefer the angry '90s over the whiny 00s. The '90s were real while I find some of the fads including the music from the 00s pretentious. Okay, I do admit that there are still plenty of good songs/things happening in the 21st century, it's just that I prefer the realistic dark '90s. I guess part of it's because I was in my teens/post-teens during that decade so I would consider it as part of my generation, which probably explains why I have a bit of an angry edge. Heck, I'll admit I even have a soft spot for the dance/techno music from that decade since I think it was actually my favorite genre during that time.

Check for new replies or respond here...