inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How is a 90s Sitcom different to a 00s sitcom?

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/07/06 at 9:15 pm

How is a strictly 90s sitcom like...well, can't really think of many 90s sitcoms which did not carry into the 00s. What are the main tell-tale signs that a sit-com was made in the 90s as opposed to the 00s? Not talking about fashion.etc, but aspects of the actual show, like type of humour, gags. One thing I can recall is the use of cheesy word-gags like using puns.etc, more 'meaingful' stories. Of the show would be tied up with a 'moral' - it seemed many 90s shows had a strong 'moral' to teach kids and even adults. Any others you can think of?

Subject: Re: How is a 90s Sitcom different to a 00s sitcom?

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/07/06 at 10:25 pm

-The families always came back together in the end. The families were always somewhat dysfunctional but not to the point of being ravingly nihilistically, almost upsettingly dysfunctional. Like they were endearing as opposed to vulgarly insane.
-I think the stories usually ended on a hopeful note.
-The gags related to the storyline more.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/07/06 at 10:38 pm

Yeah, the whole 'Happy family' thing was going on (think 'Full House'). There also wasn't the constant need to satirise/reference other popular cultural icons.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/08/06 at 11:28 am

This is sort of off topic, but I think if one wants to know what '90s family life was like they should watch Home Improvement.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/08/06 at 12:35 pm

This is sort of off topic, but I think if one wants to know what '90s family life was like they should watch Home Improvement.

I agree...not too crazy, dysfunctional, but not that over-the-top. Almost accepting of dysfunctionality.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/08/06 at 3:11 pm

There was always a problem that took place, but not one that wasn't big enough to be dealt with in the end.

A lesson was there to be learnt, and if the family got into a fight, they are were all happy and hugging at the end.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/08/06 at 4:07 pm

I agree with both prior posts. '00s family and workplace sitcoms are just so far over the top the characters are inhuman caricatures. And yes, Home Improvement is an almost to-the-T document of a "typical '90s family."

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/08/06 at 9:47 pm

I agree with both prior posts. '00s family and workplace sitcoms are just so far over the top the characters are inhuman caricatures. And yes, Home Improvement is an almost to-the-T document of a "typical '90s family."

Precisely...they are caricatures and living parodies/stereotypes. Shows like Friends with there fast talking, painfully deliberate wise-cracking.etc sort of set the template for the annoying, smart-arsedness of 00s sitcoms. There were a few geniunely good exceptions like 'Just Shoot Me', 'Will and Grace,' later episodes of 'Frasier', but with them came a whole bevy of B-grade fodder. Shows like 'Two and a Half men' are overall pretty mediocre.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/08/06 at 9:55 pm

I liked/like a lot of '90s era sitcoms, '00s sitcoms well aren't so great. The '00s just haven't been a great decade for the sitcom.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/08/06 at 9:58 pm

90s Sitcoms focussed more on entertainment...

00s Sitcoms focussed more on trying too hard to get laughs out of the audience by tired, cliched jokes. Did anyone see that sitcom starring Pamela Anderson? Now that's a good example of what I'm talking about.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/08/06 at 9:58 pm

90s Sitcoms focussed more on entertainment...

00s Sitcoms focussed more on trying too hard to get laughs out of the audience by tired, cliched jokes. Did anyone see that sitcom starring Pamela Anderson? Now that's a good example of what I'm talking about.

yea I saw some of that...it was total crap.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/08/06 at 10:02 pm

yea I saw some of that...it was total crap.

Mrs Tommy Lee still thinks she's a 20-something year old model...sure, I'm sure many 20-something year old guys would do her (if Tommy Lee didn't kick there ass), but she IS nearly 40...

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/09/06 at 12:33 pm

Precisely...they are caricatures and living parodies/stereotypes. Shows like Friends with there fast talking, painfully deliberate wise-cracking.etc sort of set the template for the annoying, smart-arsedness of 00s sitcoms. There were a few geniunely good exceptions like 'Just Shoot Me', 'Will and Grace,' later episodes of 'Frasier', but with them came a whole bevy of B-grade fodder. Shows like 'Two and a Half men' are overall pretty mediocre.

I think '00s sitcoms are so cruel and the characters so dysfunctional you can't even sympathize with them anymore. Arguably, the current sitcom wave, the most mediocre since the early '80s, started with "Malcolm in the Middle" and the application of "Just Shoot Me"-type caricatures cranked up to 11 on the dysfunctional family premise of the '90s, cranked up to 11 on the amp.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/09/06 at 10:36 pm

I think '00s sitcoms are so cruel and the characters so dysfunctional you can't even sympathize with them anymore. Arguably, the current sitcom wave, the most mediocre since the early '80s, started with "Malcolm in the Middle" and the application of "Just Shoot Me"-type caricatures cranked up to 11 on the dysfunctional family premise of the '90s, cranked up to 11 on the amp.

Yes, 00s shows try to get laughs by being facetious...Like Nirvana/Grunge, Just Shoot Me was a good show which spawned so many inferior imitators. The stereotypes could be found in almost every sitcom thereon.

Check for new replies or respond here...